Columbia students taking questions Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
thisone2014

Bronze

Re: Columbia 1L(s) taking questions

Post by thisone2014 » Mon Jan 26, 2015 3:04 pm

Last edited by thisone2014 on Thu Oct 08, 2015 6:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mylifeis24

Bronze

Post by mylifeis24 » Mon Jan 26, 2015 3:09 pm

thisone2014 wrote:I want to contact the CLS career services office to ask what the potential impact down the line would be of my leaving my current (non-legal) job after less than a year. Do you think they'd be willing to field a few quick questions over the phone from a 0L if I've already committed?
1) Probably zero impact. Especially since you left that job for law school, not to go hike Peru and find yourself.
2) Best to contact admissions, whose job is to cater to 0Ls, and have them put you in touch with OCS after making an introduction.

thisone2014

Bronze

Post by thisone2014 » Mon Jan 26, 2015 3:30 pm

Last edited by thisone2014 on Thu Oct 08, 2015 6:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

john_brown

New

Post by john_brown » Tue Jan 27, 2015 12:50 am

thisone2014 wrote:
mylifeis24 wrote:
1) Probably zero impact. Especially since you left that job for law school, not to go hike Peru and find yourself.
2) Best to contact admissions, whose job is to cater to 0Ls, and have them put you in touch with OCS after making an introduction.
Thanks, you're probably right about contacting admissions. To clarify, the question is more about the impact of leaving my job now vs. leaving it in August before school. I probably would do something like, you know, hike Peru and find myself between now and then :)
No harm in asking, I guess, but I really feel you're over-thinking it. You've made the decision to switch careers and go to law school. Why should you stick around at your non-legal job to the bitter end? Who would blame you for getting some downtime before going back to school? I just can't see how leaving now could reflect poorly on you.

Also: by the time EIP rolls around, interviewers will be MUCH more interested in your 1L summer (hopefully law-related) job than anything before that. By then, your current job will be just a line on your resume. I really wouldn't worry too much.

banjo

Silver

Post by banjo » Tue Jan 27, 2015 1:01 am

thisone2014 wrote:
mylifeis24 wrote:
Thanks, you're probably right about contacting admissions. To clarify, the question is more about the impact of leaving my job now vs. leaving it in August before school. I probably would do something like, you know, hike Peru and find myself between now and then :)
I can understand leaving your job in June and taking two months off. Quitting in January and doing nothing for six months seems a little unnecessary.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Nebby

Diamond

Post by Nebby » Tue Jan 27, 2015 1:40 am

OMG. 0Ls are the worst. Listen, the only thing that'll keep you from employments is a sub-3.0 gpa. Employers will give zero shits whether you stayed at a shitty job for 6 months or 10 months.

TheoO

Silver

Post by TheoO » Tue Jan 27, 2015 4:01 pm

It amazes me how often these questions get recycled.

thisone2014

Bronze

Post by thisone2014 » Wed Jan 28, 2015 2:10 pm

what's the columbia university gym situation like? do most people use the school facilities or join an outside gym?

starrydreamz3

Silver

Post by starrydreamz3 » Wed Jan 28, 2015 2:38 pm

thisone2014 wrote:what's the columbia university gym situation like? do most people use the school facilities or join an outside gym?
The gym is crowded and a bit out of date. If you go during "off" hours you can probably get on a machine or find an empty mat (though you might have to settle for a bike and not an elliptical, etc.). But during peak hours, it's so packed. And they also shut down part of the weightlifting rooms to for classes which makes it even worse for the rest of us.

If you're serious about working out, getting a membership to an outside gym (them sometimes give student discounts) is probably best. Still, it's costly and the Columbia gym is free.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

thisone2014

Bronze

Post by thisone2014 » Wed Jan 28, 2015 2:55 pm

starrydreamz3 wrote:
thisone2014 wrote:what's the columbia university gym situation like? do most people use the school facilities or join an outside gym?
The gym is crowded and a bit out of date. If you go during "off" hours you can probably get on a machine or find an empty mat (though you might have to settle for a bike and not an elliptical, etc.). But during peak hours, it's so packed. And they also shut down part of the weightlifting rooms to for classes which makes it even worse for the rest of us.

If you're serious about working out, getting a membership to an outside gym (them sometimes give student discounts) is probably best. Still, it's costly and the Columbia gym is free.
word, thanks. any recs on which outside gyms are popular w students? obviously proximity/quality/price are main considerations.

jbagelboy

Diamond

Post by jbagelboy » Thu Jan 29, 2015 12:01 pm

Legislation with Johnson or Securities Regulation? I was thinking of waiting until Briffault taught legislation again but idk.

TheoO

Silver

Post by TheoO » Thu Jan 29, 2015 5:01 pm

Anyone have access to Harcourt outlines? I can't find anything on the gdrive.

Monochromatic Oeuvre

Gold

Post by Monochromatic Oeuvre » Fri Jan 30, 2015 1:12 am

I'n fond of DFC because it's cheaper than any other option ($38/semester) and of course close. It has everything the average joe would need. Yes, it can get really crowded. Absolutely do not go between 4 and 7. But early morning and late night you shouldn't have any problem.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

anon369

New

Post by anon369 » Fri Jan 30, 2015 4:20 am

are CLS students remarkably cold, or is just me? also, if you are a second semester 1L and generally miserable (but a cheerful person normally) does it get better? or does this just mean you made a mistake in attending CLS?

jbagelboy

Diamond

Post by jbagelboy » Fri Jan 30, 2015 9:31 am

anon369 wrote:are CLS students remarkably cold, or is just me? also, if you are a second semester 1L and generally miserable (but a cheerful person normally) does it get better? or does this just mean you made a mistake in attending CLS?
No I don't think they are, I really like my classmates but people's ambition can blind their civic kindness. Most people have dark moments. Also it's just literally cold and grey for months in manhattan, which I've found depressing generally at times.

Lets have a drink and smoke a cigarette as they say, or you can reach out through any number of mentoring/affinity groups.

Tiago Splitter

Diamond

Post by Tiago Splitter » Fri Jan 30, 2015 11:48 am

anon369 wrote:are CLS students remarkably cold, or is just me? also, if you are a second semester 1L and generally miserable (but a cheerful person normally) does it get better? or does this just mean you made a mistake in attending CLS?
It's just you. Also, the beginning of second semester 1L can be a rough time. Hard to get back into the swing of things.

TheoO

Silver

Post by TheoO » Fri Jan 30, 2015 3:43 pm

People were dragged out of the break to start the rut all over again. The enthusiasm of the beginning of last fall is gone, especially now that grades came out. The weather sucks. People are thinking about getting 1L job and thinking about the 4 classes. Morningside is dull...

I'm not at my most enthusiastic at the moment either, right now.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

greentea123

New

Post by greentea123 » Fri Jan 30, 2015 3:55 pm

Hi,
I have a question about housing: which housing options are the most quiet? I'm interested in a studio for 1L (if I can get one) and cost isn't a huge factor. In undergrad, our dorm room walls were really thin and people were often having parties in dorms instead of going downtown etc. Does Lenfest have thick enough walls where noise from other students isn't really an issue? It's just really difficult for me to sleep with a lot of noise and I was wondering about the best housing options?

Thank you for any help!!

Monochromatic Oeuvre

Gold

Post by Monochromatic Oeuvre » Sat Jan 31, 2015 12:43 am

I would consider myself a nice enough guy. At this point last year, between the combination of disappointing 1L grades and constant 18-degree weather, I wouldn't have dove out of the way if a truck was about to run me over on Amsterdam.

It gets better. A lot better, really.

Monochromatic Oeuvre

Gold

Post by Monochromatic Oeuvre » Sat Jan 31, 2015 12:46 am

greentea123 wrote:Hi,
I have a question about housing: which housing options are the most quiet? I'm interested in a studio for 1L (if I can get one) and cost isn't a huge factor. In undergrad, our dorm room walls were really thin and people were often having parties in dorms instead of going downtown etc. Does Lenfest have thick enough walls where noise from other students isn't really an issue? It's just really difficult for me to sleep with a lot of noise and I was wondering about the best housing options?

Thank you for any help!!
I lived in Lenfest last year, am also someone who prefers it quiet, and never heard my neighbors. It's really not bad in any of the buildings with studios, though. Nobody old enough to go the bars wants to party in a studio.

Humbert Humbert

Bronze

Post by Humbert Humbert » Sat Jan 31, 2015 12:06 pm

Anyone have Gellis for Corporations? I think she taught it last spring. Our class got an email from the Registrar saying Goldschmid will not be able to teach the rest of the semester and Gellis will be taking over.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Monochromatic Oeuvre

Gold

Post by Monochromatic Oeuvre » Sat Jan 31, 2015 8:28 pm

Humbert Humbert wrote:Anyone have Gellis for Corporations? I think she taught it last spring. Our class got an email from the Registrar saying Goldschmid will not be able to teach the rest of the semester and Gellis will be taking over.
WTF. This would've been great to know three weeks ago.

john_brown

New

Post by john_brown » Sun Feb 01, 2015 12:49 am

Last edited by john_brown on Thu May 21, 2015 11:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jbagelboy

Diamond

Post by jbagelboy » Wed Feb 04, 2015 11:11 am

Among my more shameless plugs, everyone buy tickets for Cocktails for Caravans! The open bar provides good value for the price. It's a lot of fun and you're supporting fellow students with the caravans. Tickets at: http://www.hostcommittee.com/event/cock ... dium=email.

bayareabruin

New

Post by bayareabruin » Sat Feb 07, 2015 11:52 am

Hey all, I have the opportunity to do a judicial internship during the fall 2015 semester--does anyone know if it is possible to get credits for a semester externship? It isn't one of the ones listed on the externship website, so I wasn't sure.

Thanks!

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”