Columbia students taking questions

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
TheoO

Re: Columbia 1L(s) taking questions

Postby TheoO » Fri Dec 05, 2014 7:50 pm

Holy fuck, Kraus' MC portion of his exams are brutal.

jbagelboy

Postby jbagelboy » Fri Dec 05, 2014 7:54 pm

TheoO wrote:Holy fuck, Kraus' MC portion of his exams are brutal.

yea its absolutely atrocious.

11/25 could get you median last yr tho

TheoO

Postby TheoO » Fri Dec 05, 2014 10:35 pm

Im seriously freaking out about this now. I keep forgetting relevant cases and doctrines. I've made by outline but it feels overly large.

Tiago Splitter

Postby Tiago Splitter » Fri Dec 05, 2014 10:38 pm

TheoO wrote:Im seriously freaking out about this now. I keep forgetting relevant cases and doctrines. I've made by outline but it feels overly large.

The nice thing about Columbia is that you don't need great grades in every class to land a great job. Kraus' class often reminds us of this.

girlmonster

Postby girlmonster » Sat Dec 06, 2014 3:44 am

Tiago Splitter wrote:
TheoO wrote:Im seriously freaking out about this now. I keep forgetting relevant cases and doctrines. I've made by outline but it feels overly large.

The nice thing about Columbia is that you don't need great grades in every class to land a great job. Kraus' class often reminds us of this.

Speaking of grade significance, I've had multiple 2Ls tell me that straight Bs hasn't been a problem for them. On the other hand, most of my fellow 1Ls are acting like one B means you will be summarily executed. Are the 2Ls downplaying the significance?

Tiago Splitter

Postby Tiago Splitter » Sat Dec 06, 2014 10:46 am

girlmonster wrote:
Tiago Splitter wrote:

Speaking of grade significance, I've had multiple 2Ls tell me that straight Bs hasn't been a problem for them. On the other hand, most of my fellow 1Ls are acting like one B means you will be summarily executed. Are the 2Ls downplaying the significance?

Can you still get a job? Sure. But I wouldn't want to go into OCI with straight B's. A few B's though? Nothing to worry about at all.

girlmonster

Postby girlmonster » Sat Dec 06, 2014 4:45 pm

Tiago Splitter wrote:
girlmonster wrote:
Tiago Splitter wrote:

Can you still get a job? Sure. But I wouldn't want to go into OCI with straight B's. A few B's though? Nothing to worry about at all.

Okay, thanks! If anyone has anything to offer regarding grade significance for PI/IHR, I'd love to hear it. But I also realize I'm just being a neurotic 1L heading into law school finals for the first time; and at this point, none of this really matters.

girlmonster

Postby girlmonster » Sat Dec 06, 2014 4:45 pm

Tiago Splitter wrote:
girlmonster wrote:
Tiago Splitter wrote:

Okay, thanks! If anyone has anything to offer regarding grade significance for PI/IHR, I'd love to hear it. But I also realize I'm just being a neurotic 1L heading into law school finals for the first time; and at this point, none of this really matters.

Nebby

Postby Nebby » Sat Dec 06, 2014 5:10 pm

girlmonster wrote:Okay, thanks! If anyone has anything to offer regarding grade significance for PI/IHR, I'd love to hear it. But I also realize I'm just being a neurotic 1L heading into law school finals for the first time; and at this point, none of this really matters.

Highly dependent on what you mean by PI. What are you specifically looking into? As a general rule of thumb, a demonstrated commitment to public service, nonprofit organizations, or public interest work will be more important than grades.

girlmonster

Postby girlmonster » Sat Dec 06, 2014 10:30 pm

CounselorNebby wrote:
girlmonster wrote:Okay, thanks! If anyone has anything to offer regarding grade significance for PI/IHR, I'd love to hear it. But I also realize I'm just being a neurotic 1L heading into law school finals for the first time; and at this point, none of this really matters.

Highly dependent on what you mean by PI. What are you specifically looking into? As a general rule of thumb, a demonstrated commitment to public service, nonprofit organizations, or public interest work will be more important than grades.

Ideally, working on the field for an international NGO is my first choice. I understand that breaking into IHR isn't easy, though. Pretty much anything client-based in the PI field would make me happy (with the exception of PD, just because I don't think I have the patience, tolerance, and resilience for the job). Poverty/homelessness, civil rights, immigration, domestic violence, human rights in the US (and many more) are all domestic issues I really care about. Still gonna gun for IHR first, though.

dcpanther

Postby dcpanther » Tue Dec 09, 2014 4:42 pm

Last edited by dcpanther on Fri Jul 10, 2015 11:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

TheoO

Postby TheoO » Tue Dec 09, 2014 5:29 pm

dcpanther wrote:dat kraus exam.... :(

Last year's fuckin test and he couldn't even fucking edit it properly so that there weren't error. It wasn't even just spelling, there were pretty heavy numerical errors in there as well. Doesn't this guy have assistants?

dcpanther

Postby dcpanther » Tue Dec 09, 2014 5:34 pm

Last edited by dcpanther on Fri Jul 10, 2015 11:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

jbagelboy

Postby jbagelboy » Tue Dec 09, 2014 5:43 pm

are you saying Kraus gave the exact exam from last year again this year (the worst written/designed exam I've ever taken in my life)? the one with all the typos and the wrong name of the companies with the relational contracts where most of the questions were on fraud or parol evidence when we hardly reached that material in the course?

TheoO

Postby TheoO » Tue Dec 09, 2014 6:04 pm

Yea, fraud, parole, and 2-207. Where we rushed at the end just to complete. I had read through the material pretty thoroughly but I still didn't have too great of a grasp. Fucking sucked. Luckily I found one minor detail in the fact pattern from an anecdote he brought up in class relative to 2-306 that I regurgitated in the essay.

Fuck that guy. Also, I spent so much time preparing for that exam that I've completely ignored CivPro and Torts. Nevermind that time I should have spent taking practice tests was spent catching up to the material.
Last edited by TheoO on Tue Dec 09, 2014 6:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jbagelboy

Postby jbagelboy » Tue Dec 09, 2014 6:05 pm

TheoO wrote:Yea, fraud, parole, and 2-207. Where we rushed at the end just to complete.

lololololololololololololololololololololololol

okay that's a new fucking low jody

TheoO

Postby TheoO » Tue Dec 09, 2014 6:10 pm

Scratch parole. There was some mistake and battle of the forms.

dcpanther

Postby dcpanther » Tue Dec 09, 2014 6:21 pm

question answered
Last edited by dcpanther on Fri Jul 10, 2015 11:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

Tiago Splitter

Postby Tiago Splitter » Tue Dec 09, 2014 6:26 pm

the kraus curve is always a nightmare. Still a 25% chance you'll have an A or A-.

lawschool2014hopeful

Postby lawschool2014hopeful » Wed Dec 10, 2014 11:29 am

1Ls, what are your thoughts about the exam delays due to GJ decisions?

woosterst

Postby woosterst » Wed Dec 10, 2014 11:33 am

Hiya! 0L here. How common is commuting from far away? Anyone have experience with this? I live in Soho and would prefer to remain in my current apartment if possible, but I'm also only one year out of UG and would like to be involved socially/extracurricularly on campus.

It's a straight shot on the 1 for me but the commute can still be pretty long and crowded.

I know this is early to be thinking about this, but I want to give my roommate as much of a heads up as possible if he'll need to look for a new roomie.

TheoO

Postby TheoO » Wed Dec 10, 2014 8:00 pm

There are a number of people who commute here. It's definitely possible and doable. That said, I wouldn't want to deal with morning classes at 9 while commuting. Hell I'm 3 blocks away and half-away through the semester I could barely get to class on time. However, you could probably pull off some case readings on the train.

woosterst

Postby woosterst » Thu Dec 11, 2014 12:54 pm

woosterst wrote: I wouldn't want to deal with morning classes at 9 while commuting. Hell I'm 3 blocks away and half-away through the semester I could barely get to class on time. However, you could probably pull off some case readings on the train.

Thanks! How typical are 9:00AM classes? I saw someone posted their 1L schedule earlier on the thread but it wasn't clear to me if that was a totally typical schedule, or what a 1L schedule would look like with extracurriculars built in.

Also, another completely unrelated question: I'm a former college athlete and am interested in looking into volunteer assistant coaching the Columbia UG team (in undergrad we had grad students with this role). Does anyone have any experience with this?

almondjoy

Postby almondjoy » Thu Dec 11, 2014 1:26 pm

woosterst wrote:Thanks! How typical are 9:00AM classes? I saw someone posted their 1L schedule earlier on the thread but it wasn't clear to me if that was a totally typical schedule, or what a 1L schedule would look like with extracurriculars built in.

I think 9 am classes are pretty typical 1L year. My roommate and I are in different sections this semester and we both had 9 am classes mon-wed

TheoO

Postby TheoO » Thu Dec 11, 2014 2:01 pm

You'll probably have 9am classes at least a couple of days of the week, whether it is mon-wed or tues-thurs.

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”