Columbia students taking questions

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
User avatar
MCFC
Posts: 8473
Joined: Mon Oct 17, 2011 6:46 pm

Re: Columbia 1L(s) taking questions

Postby MCFC » Thu Nov 13, 2014 3:43 pm

Tiago Splitter wrote:
MCFC wrote:Antitrust with Wu was solid. I wouldn't worry about the economics of it at all. Figures to be better on his second time through the course too.

How is the whole stand up while getting cold called thing?

Oh yeah, I suppose that's in the minus column. But judging from the fact that I totally forgot about it originally, not super terrible or anything. You get an email the day before telling you you will be on for the next day and then (at least in our class) you were done for the semester.

User avatar
girlmonster
Posts: 280
Joined: Tue May 18, 2010 10:46 pm

Re: Columbia 1L(s) taking questions

Postby girlmonster » Tue Nov 18, 2014 6:44 pm

Food delivery to the law school -- acceptable or no? Is the security guard (at the times they are there) going to get pissed off?

I assumed it would be totally acceptable, but when I mentioned it, someone thought I was kidding.

User avatar
banjo
Posts: 1345
Joined: Wed Nov 30, 2011 8:00 pm

Re: Columbia 1L(s) taking questions

Postby banjo » Tue Nov 18, 2014 6:47 pm

It's totally fine to order food to the law school.

I'm kind of sad that summer PR isn't happening. That seemed like a pretty chill way to get it out of the way.

User avatar
Sgt Pepper
Posts: 68
Joined: Sat Jun 08, 2013 4:30 pm

Re: Columbia 1L(s) taking questions

Postby Sgt Pepper » Tue Nov 18, 2014 9:20 pm

Any older students have Judge for corps? Any advice/outlines/anything would be greatly appreciated!

User avatar
camelcrema
Posts: 281
Joined: Fri Oct 01, 2010 2:43 pm

Re: Columbia 1L(s) taking questions

Postby camelcrema » Tue Nov 18, 2014 9:49 pm

Sgt Pepper wrote:Any older students have Judge for corps? Any advice/outlines/anything would be greatly appreciated!


Mine's not great, but I'll hand you what I've got. I think I may have already been asked to do so through a mutual intermediary of ours.

User avatar
bobr
Posts: 96
Joined: Wed Aug 15, 2012 4:42 am

Re: Columbia 1L(s) taking questions

Postby bobr » Wed Nov 19, 2014 11:06 am

camelcrema wrote:
Sgt Pepper wrote:Any older students have Judge for corps? Any advice/outlines/anything would be greatly appreciated!


Mine's not great, but I'll hand you what I've got. I think I may have already been asked to do so through a mutual intermediary of ours.


How did you prep for her final? Are the M/C pretty straightforward? Thanks

User avatar
camelcrema
Posts: 281
Joined: Fri Oct 01, 2010 2:43 pm

Re: Columbia 1L(s) taking questions

Postby camelcrema » Wed Nov 19, 2014 1:59 pm

bobr wrote:
camelcrema wrote:
Sgt Pepper wrote:Any older students have Judge for corps? Any advice/outlines/anything would be greatly appreciated!


Mine's not great, but I'll hand you what I've got. I think I may have already been asked to do so through a mutual intermediary of ours.


How did you prep for her final? Are the M/C pretty straightforward? Thanks


I'm afraid my study habits for that final won't be too helpful. I had three finals and a paper over four days that semester, and Judge's final was my last one. I didn't manage my time well enough to do anything more than review my notes and compose an outline (which is just a slightly condensed version of my notes). The MC, as I recall, were pretty straightforward that semester, but I think Judge might be the type to throw curveballs and vary up the difficulty levels of the MC.

Humbert Humbert
Posts: 400
Joined: Sat Jun 19, 2010 3:46 pm

Re: Columbia 1L(s) taking questions

Postby Humbert Humbert » Fri Nov 21, 2014 8:13 pm

Upperclassmen -

When would you advise to start taking practice exams? There are 5 days in between the last day of class (12/3) and the day of the first exam (12/9). Is that enough time, in your experience, or would you advise taking (or at least looking over) practice exams prior to that point? The issue, of course, with the latter approach is that your outlines wouldn't be finished by the time you started taking practice exams.

Thanks!

User avatar
Tiago Splitter
Posts: 15457
Joined: Tue Jun 28, 2011 1:20 am

Re: Columbia 1L(s) taking questions

Postby Tiago Splitter » Sat Nov 22, 2014 12:36 am

Humbert Humbert wrote:Upperclassmen -

When would you advise to start taking practice exams? There are 5 days in between the last day of class (12/3) and the day of the first exam (12/9). Is that enough time, in your experience, or would you advise taking (or at least looking over) practice exams prior to that point? The issue, of course, with the latter approach is that your outlines wouldn't be finished by the time you started taking practice exams.

Thanks!

That's more than enough time. It's a good idea to have your outline mostly done when classes end and then you can use those study days to take practice exams and really get your outline down cold.

TheoO
Posts: 536
Joined: Sun Aug 31, 2014 1:28 am

Re: Columbia 1L(s) taking questions

Postby TheoO » Sat Nov 22, 2014 2:52 am

Kraus this semester: over two weeks behind. Schedules a makeup class; cancels it the morning of. Later in the semester: schedules two make-up classes, cancels the second one and adds an extra hour to the first. Combines the two sections, though one of the sections is even further behind and just has TAs do those cases that he didn't go over with further behind section.

Irony: during one class on breach of employment contract, he made a comment about how tenured professors so often abuse their tenure privileges.

Is this dude just trolling students?

User avatar
girlmonster
Posts: 280
Joined: Tue May 18, 2010 10:46 pm

Re: Columbia 1L(s) taking questions

Postby girlmonster » Sat Nov 22, 2014 12:29 pm

Best places to study where you're not surrounded by stressed-out students?

User avatar
jbagelboy
Posts: 9635
Joined: Thu Nov 29, 2012 7:57 pm

Re: Columbia 1L(s) taking questions

Postby jbagelboy » Sat Nov 22, 2014 1:15 pm

TheoO wrote:Kraus this semester: over two weeks behind. Schedules a makeup class; cancels it the morning of. Later in the semester: schedules two make-up classes, cancels the second one and adds an extra hour to the first. Combines the two sections, though one of the sections is even further behind and just has TAs do those cases that he didn't go over with further behind section.

Irony: during one class on breach of employment contract, he made a comment about how tenured professors so often abuse their tenure privileges.

Is this dude just trolling students?


Yes, he is.

The absurdity of the final exam bearing little to no relevance to any of the material he actually managed to cover and the hysterical haphazardness with which he grades it will be his grand closing number.

User avatar
Tiago Splitter
Posts: 15457
Joined: Tue Jun 28, 2011 1:20 am

Re: Columbia 1L(s) taking questions

Postby Tiago Splitter » Sat Nov 22, 2014 1:18 pm

Kraus definitely did the same thing my year. Almost identical. I didn't use any supplements in that class and feel like if I had I would have done better on the final, but who knows. That's one class where I'm just not sure what advice to give.

User avatar
jbagelboy
Posts: 9635
Joined: Thu Nov 29, 2012 7:57 pm

Re: Columbia 1L(s) taking questions

Postby jbagelboy » Sat Nov 22, 2014 1:18 pm

girlmonster wrote:Best places to study where you're not surrounded by stressed-out students?


I just studied in my apartment, but I know that doesn't work for everyone. I hate being in JG more than I have to be.

User avatar
Tiago Splitter
Posts: 15457
Joined: Tue Jun 28, 2011 1:20 am

Re: Columbia 1L(s) taking questions

Postby Tiago Splitter » Sat Nov 22, 2014 1:20 pm

Basement of JG Library is money.

User avatar
ph5354a
Posts: 1599
Joined: Thu Nov 01, 2012 7:40 pm

Re: Columbia 1L(s) taking questions

Postby ph5354a » Sat Nov 22, 2014 3:23 pm

Business school library til I die. It's just a bunch of MBA students doing group projects on synergy.

User avatar
banjo
Posts: 1345
Joined: Wed Nov 30, 2011 8:00 pm

Re: Columbia 1L(s) taking questions

Postby banjo » Sat Nov 22, 2014 3:32 pm

I have a secret classroom in the international affairs building.

User avatar
girlmonster
Posts: 280
Joined: Tue May 18, 2010 10:46 pm

Re: Columbia 1L(s) taking questions

Postby girlmonster » Sat Nov 22, 2014 5:00 pm

Thanks for the suggestions, everyone! I'm going to try all of these -- definitely intend to spend more time in the library basement, and the b-school library is a genius idea.

banjo wrote:I have a secret classroom in the international affairs building.

Challenge accepted.

User avatar
almondjoy
Posts: 235
Joined: Sat Dec 07, 2013 1:35 am

Re: Columbia 1L(s) taking questions

Postby almondjoy » Sat Nov 22, 2014 7:48 pm

Tiago Splitter wrote:Basement of JG Library is money.

Shhhh...keep this on the down low. I love studying there and am not looking forward to it being overrun lol

User avatar
Carter1901
Posts: 136
Joined: Tue Oct 29, 2013 11:32 pm

Re: Columbia 1L(s) taking questions

Postby Carter1901 » Sat Nov 22, 2014 8:12 pm

ph5354a wrote:Business school library til I die. It's just a bunch of MBA students doing group projects on synergy.


This. Very true.

User avatar
girlmonster
Posts: 280
Joined: Tue May 18, 2010 10:46 pm

Re: Columbia 1L(s) taking questions

Postby girlmonster » Sat Nov 22, 2014 8:38 pm

Do these other libraries (Science and Engineering, Business, etc.) block out students not from their respective schools during finals (the way that the law library does)? Just looked online, and found an article saying that the business library was going to block out undergrads. Not entirely sure what that means for law students...

User avatar
ph5354a
Posts: 1599
Joined: Thu Nov 01, 2012 7:40 pm

Re: Columbia 1L(s) taking questions

Postby ph5354a » Sat Nov 22, 2014 8:57 pm

girlmonster wrote:Do these other libraries (Science and Engineering, Business, etc.) block out students not from their respective schools during finals (the way that the law library does)? Just looked online, and found an article saying that the business library was going to block out undergrads. Not entirely sure what that means for law students...


Nope it's open to all grad students during finals, including law students.

User avatar
girlmonster
Posts: 280
Joined: Tue May 18, 2010 10:46 pm

Re: Columbia 1L(s) taking questions

Postby girlmonster » Sun Nov 23, 2014 7:31 pm

ph5354a wrote:Nope it's open to all grad students during finals, including law students.


Thanks!

I have another, unrelated question: where do we find information about the curve?

User avatar
MCFC
Posts: 8473
Joined: Mon Oct 17, 2011 6:46 pm

Re: Columbia 1L(s) taking questions

Postby MCFC » Sun Nov 23, 2014 8:56 pm

Not sure where it's out there officially, but this post is helpful.

jbagelboy wrote:
Just to clarify (since I'm not sure bowser has access to the info as a 2L), the 1L curve is specifically: 6-11% A, 13-19% A-, 30-35% B+ (at least 55% B+ or higher, generally around 60%), 35-45% B or below.

Most professor wind up at around 40% B's, 35% B+, 15% A- and in the single digits for A's and discretionary grades. Some are less generous (I have two profs who grade at basically 45% B or lower, <25% total A or A-, lame), others more generous. Given that B is the most popular grade in every class, they are very common, although median technically falls closer to B+.

User avatar
girlmonster
Posts: 280
Joined: Tue May 18, 2010 10:46 pm

Re: Columbia 1L(s) taking questions

Postby girlmonster » Mon Nov 24, 2014 3:15 am

Thanks for re-posting that!

ETA: Just found the official guideline for first-year courses on Lawnet.




Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests