Columbia students taking questions

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
Humbert Humbert

Re: Columbia 1L(s) taking questions

Postby Humbert Humbert » Thu Oct 30, 2014 1:26 pm

Also curious about electives, and Corps in particular. It's definitely the topic I am most interested in, and I'd like to be able to start taking upper level corp-related classes next fall. I've heard a lot of upperclassmen say that it should be avoided during 1L though, so that is giving me some pause. My concern would be that it would be such a significant amount of work that it would be a detriment w/r/t my other classes next semester. Any other 2/3L's who've taken it have perspectives?

toothbrush

Postby toothbrush » Thu Oct 30, 2014 1:29 pm

Humbert Humbert wrote:Also curious about electives, and Corps in particular. It's definitely the topic I am most interested in, and I'd like to be able to start taking upper level corp-related classes next fall. I've heard a lot of upperclassmen say that it should be avoided during 1L though, so that is giving me some pause. My concern would be that it would be such a significant amount of work that it would be a detriment w/r/t my other classes next semester. Any other 2/3L's who've taken it have perspectives?

I'm taking it as a 2L and it's not a bigger time investment than other classes 1L were. Maybe that's from the vantage of someone who finished 1L, though. At least for my professor it's mostly cases with some concepts littered in and a few outside assignments that take ten minutes. We do have a good amount of reading but it's nothing you can't handle.

starrydreamz3

Postby starrydreamz3 » Thu Oct 30, 2014 2:06 pm

almondjoy wrote:
starrydreamz3 wrote:
almondjoy wrote:Any 2L/3Ls have any recommendations for 1L spring electives? I've heard taking an upper level class can be good because of the more lenient curve. Thoughts?

I did this, took Corporations with Goldschmid. I really loved the class, and most of the 2L/3Ls weren't very involved in the class. Also, that class attracted a lot of 1Ls who had strong business/finance background, so there were some really dynamic and interested discussions. My whole study group (1Ls) got very good grades, and I was able to jump right into upper level corporate classes during 2L. It was a little rough have 4 finals (instead of 3 finals and a paper), but it worked out fine.

10/10 would do again.

(Also I've heard labor law is amazing!)

Thanks for the response! How much at a disadvantage do you think people who don't have a finance background?

Not terribly, but I'd recommend doing some background reading before the class over winter break so that you're not lost during the discussion. If you're going into corp big law you're going to need to learn this stuff eventually, might as well get it over with now!

starrydreamz3

Postby starrydreamz3 » Thu Oct 30, 2014 2:09 pm

toothbrush wrote:
Humbert Humbert wrote:Also curious about electives, and Corps in particular. It's definitely the topic I am most interested in, and I'd like to be able to start taking upper level corp-related classes next fall. I've heard a lot of upperclassmen say that it should be avoided during 1L though, so that is giving me some pause. My concern would be that it would be such a significant amount of work that it would be a detriment w/r/t my other classes next semester. Any other 2/3L's who've taken it have perspectives?

I'm taking it as a 2L and it's not a bigger time investment than other classes 1L were. Maybe that's from the vantage of someone who finished 1L, though. At least for my professor it's mostly cases with some concepts littered in and a few outside assignments that take ten minutes. We do have a good amount of reading but it's nothing you can't handle.

Agreed, though it probably varies by professor. My corp prof gave a ton of reading (usually 70+ pages per class), though you could sort of figured out what was worth focusing intently on and what you could just skim over.

starrydreamz3

Postby starrydreamz3 » Thu Oct 30, 2014 2:11 pm

Tiago Splitter wrote:
starrydreamz3 wrote:It was a little rough have 4 finals (instead of 3 finals and a paper), but it worked out fine.

I think all of the 1L electives have exams and not papers.

Hmm that wasn't true last year. Just knowing what my friends took, at least one (and probably more) of the 1L seminars had a final paper.

Humbert Humbert

Postby Humbert Humbert » Fri Oct 31, 2014 12:28 pm

Thanks for the replies. Did anyone take it with Goldschmid?

cws277

Postby cws277 » Fri Oct 31, 2014 2:57 pm

Humbert Humbert wrote:Thanks for the replies. Did anyone take it with Goldschmid?

starrydreamz3 wrote:I did this, took Corporations with Goldschmid.

girlmonster

Postby girlmonster » Sat Nov 01, 2014 4:14 pm

If my Contracts professor recommended Chirelstein, would it be weird for me to ask him if he recommends any hornbooks? Or would that question be better reserved for the TAs?

TheoO

Postby TheoO » Sat Nov 01, 2014 10:52 pm

girlmonster wrote:If my Contracts professor recommended Chirelstein, would it be weird for me to ask him if he recommends any hornbooks? Or would that question be better reserved for the TAs?

Why would it matter? Just ask him and see what he says. It's not like you're going to lose points over it.

banjo

Postby banjo » Sun Nov 02, 2014 11:33 am

Not sure who you have for Contracts, but Chirelstein fits particularly well with the Scott Kraus textbook (discusses many of the same cases, issues, etc.). I don't think a hornbook would be similarly helpful.

girlmonster

Postby girlmonster » Sun Nov 02, 2014 5:15 pm

TheoO wrote:Why would it matter? Just ask him and see what he says. It's not like you're going to lose points over it.

That's a good point, but I tend to ask the professor quite a few questions about the way he explains concepts, and I also have more obnoxious questions about what we're actually supposed to know. He can't give me a bad grade for my questions, but I'm not doing myself any favors by coming across as pedantic. I'll just go ahead and ask him, though.

banjo wrote:Not sure who you have for Contracts, but Chirelstein fits particularly well with the Scott Kraus textbook (discusses many of the same cases, issues, etc.). I don't think a hornbook would be similarly helpful.

Thanks for the info! I have a different casebook (Farnsworth), but I'm still going to use Chirlestein. The problem isn't necessarily that the concepts aren't "clicking;" it's that we're not going to cover most of the material we read in class. It took us 16 classes to go through 2 1/2 chapters (even skipping some material) and now we're supposed to cover another 6-7 chapters in 10 classes. I know Chirelstein is good for supplementing understanding; but do you think it's a sufficient replacement for class discussion?

banjo

Postby banjo » Sun Nov 02, 2014 6:49 pm

girlmonster wrote:Thanks for the info! I have a different casebook (Farnsworth), but I'm still going to use Chirlestein. The problem isn't necessarily that the concepts aren't "clicking;" it's that we're not going to cover most of the material we read in class. It took us 16 classes to go through 2 1/2 chapters (even skipping some material) and now we're supposed to cover another 6-7 chapters in 10 classes. I know Chirelstein is good for supplementing understanding; but do you think it's a sufficient replacement for class discussion?

Chirelstein is a good way to review and reinforce basic concepts, but I don't think it has enough detail to replace class. Your professor might highlight something in the Restatement, UCC commentary or case law that Chirelestein touches on only briefly. It's a good start though--should only take you a day to read.

tlsapp2017

Postby tlsapp2017 » Sun Nov 02, 2014 9:19 pm

Does anyone have any opinions/info on any of the following (as far as what to take for the 1L elective)? Thanks!

Legislation and Regulation w/ Halligan
The U.S. & the Internation Legal System w/ Waxman
Admin Law w/ Bulman-Pozen
Evidence w/ Richman
Labor Law w/ Barenberg

Longtimecoming19

Postby Longtimecoming19 » Mon Nov 03, 2014 1:02 am

tlsapp2017 wrote:Does anyone have any opinions/info on any of the following (as far as what to take for the 1L elective)? Thanks!

Evidence w/ Richman
Labor Law w/ Barenberg

I would strongly recommend LegReg. The material can be a bit dense and the reading load is not light, but the topics are fascinating and Halligan is one hell of a professor. Wry, witty, endlessly knowledgable, practical and easily approachable. It's a bit less theoretically-oriented than some other courses and more focused on how you'd approach problems as an advocate, but there is still plenty to keep the more theoretically-minded interested.

helix23

Postby helix23 » Wed Nov 05, 2014 9:54 am

tlsapp2017 wrote:Does anyone have any opinions/info on any of the following (as far as what to take for the 1L elective)? Thanks!

Evidence w/ Richman
Labor Law w/ Barenberg

US/International Legal System was a great class. It is different than other law classes and Waxman is a lot of fun and knows his stuff. Reading isn't too crazy and it's not just cases. It also coalesces nicely with Con Law.

BigLaw_Lit

Postby BigLaw_Lit » Wed Nov 05, 2014 6:22 pm

1. Anybody taken Fed. Income Tax with Raskolnikov? Apparently the exam is "objective" - T/F and multiple choice. Also curious about the workload.

2. Also, I just wanted to make sure that we don't have to do the mandatory 1l practice interview for EIP in the fall but could wait until winter. Any compelling reasons to do it now? I don't really want to fuss with my resume at the moment.

Thanks!

Tiago Splitter

Postby Tiago Splitter » Wed Nov 05, 2014 6:32 pm

BigLaw_Lit wrote:1. Anybody taken Fed. Income Tax with Raskolnikov? Apparently the exam is "objective" - T/F and multiple choice. Also curious about the workload.

2. Also, I just wanted to make sure that we don't have to do the mandatory 1l practice interview for EIP in the fall but could wait until winter. Any compelling reasons to do it now? I don't really want to fuss with my resume at the moment.

Thanks!

Rasko is great. Workload is pretty light, and he uses a panel system where you're on call once every three days (so once a week). With like 150 people in the class though you won't get called more than twice, and he's pretty good about going through the entire list so once you are called you're probably good for a while. The exam is multiple choice, 30 questions, something like 10 worth 1 point, 15 worth 2, and 5 worth 4. Harder questions worth more of course.

You don't have to do the mandatory EIP practice interview until just before EIP. I did mine in like late July I think.

BigLaw_Lit

Postby BigLaw_Lit » Wed Nov 05, 2014 6:38 pm

Tiago thanks so much for the response! Sounds like I'd be fine doing the interview in January...

Also wondering if anyone took Barenberg's Labor Law class. I saw a few 1ls asking about it above but haven't seen a firsthand response yet.

john_brown

Postby john_brown » Fri Nov 07, 2014 2:37 am

Last edited by john_brown on Thu May 21, 2015 11:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

banjo

Postby banjo » Fri Nov 07, 2014 3:48 am

john_brown wrote:Maybe this is petty - but does anyone have an opinion on law school students wearing Columbia U (i.e. non-law school) clothing if you went someplace else for undergrad? Is it kosher?

Yeah, why not? We are all part of the Columbia University community.

helix23

Postby helix23 » Fri Nov 07, 2014 10:39 am

BigLaw_Lit wrote:2. Also, I just wanted to make sure that we don't have to do the mandatory 1l practice interview for EIP in the fall but could wait until winter. Any compelling reasons to do it now? I don't really want to fuss with my resume at the moment.

if your interviewing skills are at all suspect, the more practice you get the better. I presume you will be applying for 1L summer jobs soon, so you're going to have to work with your resume anyways.

toothbrush

Postby toothbrush » Thu Nov 13, 2014 2:55 pm

Last edited by toothbrush on Tue Nov 18, 2014 11:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tiago Splitter

Postby Tiago Splitter » Thu Nov 13, 2014 3:05 pm

Typically the only options for SecReg have been Coffee and Fox, who are pretty much universally hated, so if you want to take that class I'd recommend doing so with Fanto this semester. Nothing strikes me as an absolute must-take. Judge's class was solid if you're into that sort of thing.

MCFC

Postby MCFC » Thu Nov 13, 2014 3:35 pm

Antitrust with Wu was solid. I wouldn't worry about the economics of it at all. Figures to be better on his second time through the course too.

Tiago Splitter

Postby Tiago Splitter » Thu Nov 13, 2014 3:41 pm

MCFC wrote:Antitrust with Wu was solid. I wouldn't worry about the economics of it at all. Figures to be better on his second time through the course too.

How is the whole stand up while getting cold called thing?

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”