Columbia students taking questions

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
Tiago Splitter

Re: Columbia 1L(s) taking questions

Postby Tiago Splitter » Fri Sep 26, 2014 9:56 am

AdInfinitum wrote:Anyone have doctor recommendations in the area?

I tried booking an appointment through the student medical services online but it seemed like they're ridiculously booked up, which is no help when I'm sick.

If you are on student health insurance and make a non-emergency appointment somewhere without a student health referral they'll claim they don't have to pay. So be careful.

girlmonster

Postby girlmonster » Fri Sep 26, 2014 9:59 pm

AdInfinitum wrote:Anyone have doctor recommendations in the area?

I tried booking an appointment through the student medical services online but it seemed like they're ridiculously booked up, which is no help when I'm sick.

Did you request a same-day appointment?

girlmonster

Postby girlmonster » Sat Sep 27, 2014 7:10 pm

Do y'all think that each class (e.g., Class of 2015, Class of 2016, etc.) has a distinct personality from year to year? Or is each incoming class generally the same?

patfeeney

Postby patfeeney » Sun Sep 28, 2014 10:43 am

For some reason I have this sneaking suspicion that I'm missing out on a huge aspect of 1L year.

As an overview, I'm taking Torts with Stein, Civ Pro w/ Cleveland, Contracts w/ Brooks, and LPW.

So basically what I have to look out for by the end of the semester are two memos and three final exams.

Am I forgetting anything else?

The reason I ask is that, after spending the two years before law school having everyone I know tell me that I will be getting barely any sleep, spending all my time reading, developing a drinking problem etc, here we're a month and a half in and I'm still getting 8-9 hours of sleep, finishing all my readings on time, writing 1/2 page briefs for most of the cases, etc. Given I have no social life, and I don't really participate in any of the clubs (apparently Saint Ex hasn't been a thing for a while), but here it is Sunday and I've already ready most of the material for the next week.

I expect it to get a lot busier, but from what I've heard from people who've been through law school I should already be morbidly swamped.

Anyone else get this feeling?

Tiago Splitter

Postby Tiago Splitter » Sun Sep 28, 2014 11:26 am

patfeeney wrote:For some reason I have this sneaking suspicion that I'm missing out on a huge aspect of 1L year.

As an overview, I'm taking Torts with Stein, Civ Pro w/ Cleveland, Contracts w/ Brooks, and LPW.

So basically what I have to look out for by the end of the semester are two memos and three final exams.

The reason I ask is that, after spending the two years before law school having everyone I know tell me that I will be getting barely any sleep, spending all my time reading, developing a drinking problem etc, here we're a month and a half in and I'm still getting 8-9 hours of sleep, finishing all my readings on time, writing 1/2 page briefs for most of the cases, etc. Given I have no social life, and I don't really participate in any of the clubs (apparently Saint Ex hasn't been a thing for a while), but here it is Sunday and I've already ready most of the material for the next week.

I expect it to get a lot busier, but from what I've heard from people who've been through law school I should already be morbidly swamped.

Perfectly normal. The horror stories you hear about the law school workload certainly don't come from September. CLS makes it especially easy with just three classes and ungraded LPW. Just keep grinding and you'll be fine.

jbagelboy

Postby jbagelboy » Sun Sep 28, 2014 12:07 pm

patfeeney wrote:For some reason I have this sneaking suspicion that I'm missing out on a huge aspect of 1L year.

Things shouldn't be too bad right now, so this makes sense. I think the horror stories refer more to finals, which really can be a grind. A little piece of unsolicited advise though, you should get involved in some campus stuff/city social life! It might make things busier and cut down that case briefing (which i stopped doing after sept anyway), but activities like moot courts and student orgs bring you into the campus in a positive/non-academic way, and getting out into the city as much as possible early on definitely made me a happier person esp as the pre-finals claustrophobia set in when I could no longer leave my apt/law school. But everyone has their own road

patfeeney

Postby patfeeney » Sun Sep 28, 2014 12:13 pm

jbagelboy wrote:
Things shouldn't be too bad right now, so this makes sense. I think the horror stories refer more to finals, which really can be a grind. A little piece of unsolicited advise though, you should get involved in some campus stuff/city social life! It might make things busier and cut down that case briefing (which i stopped doing after sept anyway), but activities like moot courts and student orgs bring you into the campus in a positive/non-academic way, and getting out into the city as much as possible early on definitely made me a happier person esp as the pre-finals claustrophobia set in when I could no longer leave my apt/law school. But everyone has their own road

Yeah, I'm definitely trying to get involved in more clubs. But it seems the most social ones are like Divinimus and Craft Beer, and as much as I like me some fancy beverages, I'm not big with going to bars. And Saint Ex seems to be on hiatus or dead or whatever, and that one would really pique my interest. I just like to read a lot.

Tiago Splitter

Postby Tiago Splitter » Sun Sep 28, 2014 12:19 pm

If reading is your thing then by all means do it. FWIW all the Devinimus events are held at school in lecture halls so it's not like you have to go to bars. You should come to the one and Tuesday and see what you think. It'll be a lot of fun and you will learn a lot about wine which is a nice skill to have. You have already admitted to being ahead on your reading for the week so no excuses haha.

jbagelboy

Postby jbagelboy » Sun Sep 28, 2014 12:27 pm

patfeeney wrote:
jbagelboy wrote:

Yeah, I'm definitely trying to get involved in more clubs. But it seems the most social ones are like Divinimus and Craft Beer, and as much as I like me some fancy beverages, I'm not big with going to bars. And Saint Ex seems to be on hiatus or dead or whatever, and that one would really pique my interest. I just like to read a lot.

That's great! Law school is largely just reading. And new york has some terrific reading cafes for inspiration. I didn't mean to equate "social clubs" strictly with those that specialize in alcoholic consumption, although I've heard devinimis is a lot of fun, just any student org that can provide interface with your peers in a setting outside of class. We had a really great group on the whole and I'm sure you guys do too, and since I had some inherently non-law social commitments, I never would have gotten to know a lot of the really interesting people at school by just attending class. Some folks overdo their extracurricular commitments and find themselves a little overwhelmed but thats easily avoidable too.

girlmonster

Postby girlmonster » Sun Sep 28, 2014 9:13 pm

patfeeney wrote:I'm taking Torts with Stein, Civ Pro w/ Cleveland, Contracts w/ Brooks, and LPW. [. . .] I'm still getting 8-9 hours of sleep, finishing all my readings on time, writing 1/2 page briefs for most of the cases, etc. [. . .] and I've already ready most of the material for the next week.

Be my friend. Please.

OH, I KNOW YOU. Duh. Homes, I'm willing to bet that you have more of a social life than I do. It's probably easier for you because it seems like you have more mental stamina than some of us. I think our class in general needs to get off-campus more, though.

almondjoy

Postby almondjoy » Mon Sep 29, 2014 8:05 pm

Can some 2L/3L/grads comment on what kind of work they did during their 1L summer? I'm kind of short on ideas about where to apply come december (I would like to work in SoCal specifically if anyone has experience there). I know it's early but I figure it would be easier to think about it now before things get hectic in a couple months.

MCFC

Postby MCFC » Mon Sep 29, 2014 8:18 pm

This is heavily based on anecdote, but my perception was that people seemed to have more success getting 1L SAs than the TLS CW would predict. Especially those who hit non NYC markets. So imo, (with the caveat of not knowing much about the CA market) going to nalpdirectory.com and searching by firms who hire 1Ls is a decent place to start.

Aside from that, I'm hesitant to give any more advice, because the way I handled 1L summer is by far my biggest regret of law school so far, so...

almondjoy

Postby almondjoy » Mon Sep 29, 2014 8:30 pm

MCFC wrote:This is heavily based on anecdote, but my perception was that people seemed to have more success getting 1L SAs than the TLS CW would predict. Especially those who hit non NYC markets. So imo, (with the caveat of not knowing much about the CA market) going to nalpdirectory.com and searching by firms who hire 1Ls is a decent place to start.

Aside from that, I'm hesitant to give any more advice, because the way I handled 1L summer is by far my biggest regret of law school so far, so...

Wow i figured 1L SAs were like unicorns. That's good to hear, thanks. Anything in particular about the 1L job search that you recommend I avoid doing?

MCFC

Postby MCFC » Mon Sep 29, 2014 8:32 pm

almondjoy wrote:
MCFC wrote:This is heavily based on anecdote, but my perception was that people seemed to have more success getting 1L SAs than the TLS CW would predict. Especially those who hit non NYC markets. So imo, (with the caveat of not knowing much about the CA market) going to nalpdirectory.com and searching by firms who hire 1Ls is a decent place to start.

Wow i figured 1L SAs were like unicorns. That's good to hear, thanks. Anything in particular about the 1L job search that you recommend I avoid doing?

I mean, they might still be unicorns! :lol:

Just saying that more people got them than I was led to expect. Entirely possible the problem was with my initial expectation.

jbagelboy

Postby jbagelboy » Mon Sep 29, 2014 8:37 pm

almondjoy wrote:Can some 2L/3L/grads comment on what kind of work they did during their 1L summer? I'm kind of short on ideas about where to apply come december (I would like to work in SoCal specifically if anyone has experience there). I know it's early but I figure it would be easier to think about it now before things get hectic in a couple months.

Feel free to pm me about working in SoCal 1L summer and ill get back to it this week

Also reach out through cal society a lot of them worked in CA this summer

TheoO

Postby TheoO » Thu Oct 02, 2014 9:40 am

Any recommendations for a non-black letter law class for a 1L elective? A class that's not too intense, since I don't want to add to my 1L Spring reading load by having 4 black letter. I heard Lawyering for Change is good in that regard.

Tiago Splitter

Postby Tiago Splitter » Thu Oct 02, 2014 12:06 pm

TheoO wrote:Any recommendations for a non-black letter law class for a 1L elective? A class that's not too intense, since I don't want to add to my 1L Spring reading load by having 4 black letter. I heard Lawyering for Change is good in that regard.

Waxman's class is a great choice, although this is nothing to be worried about right now.

lunaraeon

Postby lunaraeon » Thu Oct 02, 2014 6:40 pm

Tiago Splitter wrote:
TheoO wrote:Any recommendations for a non-black letter law class for a 1L elective? A class that's not too intense, since I don't want to add to my 1L Spring reading load by having 4 black letter. I heard Lawyering for Change is good in that regard.

Waxman's class is a great choice, although this is nothing to be worried about right now.

+1 on both counts.

MCFC wrote:
almondjoy wrote:

I mean, they might still be unicorns! :lol:

Just saying that more people got them than I was led to expect. Entirely possible the problem was with my initial expectation.

I had the same impression—more common than I thought they were coming in, but still reasonably uncommon, and better if it's outside of NYC.

almondjoy, you might look at judicial internships in the area you want to be. I had a lot of fun during mine, and they're now GSF funded. The only downside is that you would have to accept it before having any idea of whether you'd get a SA.

almondjoy

Postby almondjoy » Thu Oct 02, 2014 7:01 pm

lunaraeon wrote:almondjoy, you might look at judicial internships in the area you want to be. I had a lot of fun during mine, and they're now GSF funded. The only downside is that you would have to accept it before having any idea of whether you'd get a SA.

Okay thanks I'll definitely look into that! I've heard from a couple people that they enjoyed their judicial internships also so it sounds like a pretty cool summer gig.

mylifeis24

Postby mylifeis24 » Sun Oct 12, 2014 6:20 pm

When are LM grades usually posted? Specifically by Bobbitt.

sideroxylon

Postby sideroxylon » Sun Oct 12, 2014 6:27 pm

mylifeis24 wrote:When are LM grades usually posted? Specifically by Bobbitt.

You passed.

mylifeis24

Postby mylifeis24 » Mon Oct 13, 2014 11:17 am

sideroxylon wrote:

You passed.

I don't doubt it. Still would like my original question answered though.

sideroxylon

Postby sideroxylon » Mon Oct 13, 2014 1:08 pm

mylifeis24 wrote:
sideroxylon wrote:

You passed.

I don't doubt it. Still would like my original question answered though.

I honestly don't remember because it was such an inconsequential part of 1L. You passed. There's no high pass, iirc. If you failed, Bobbitt would probably reach out to you to get coffee and talk about it, and then he'd pass you.

MCFC

Postby MCFC » Mon Oct 13, 2014 2:35 pm

Didn't have Bobbit, but Ginsburg gave ours back on October 21st. So another week I'd guess?

ph5354a

Postby ph5354a » Mon Oct 13, 2014 7:22 pm

I haven't had to switch a final yet, but is that generally pretty easy? I have three in-class finals in a row (Monday Tuesday Wednesday). Is it fairly certain that the registrar will let me move the Tuesday one?

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”