Columbia students taking questions

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
jbagelboy

Re: Columbia 1L(s) taking questions

Postby jbagelboy » Wed Sep 17, 2014 7:47 pm

sideroxylon wrote:
almondjoy wrote:What's the protocol for asking your TA for their outline from the class last year? Is that a no-no? I feel like this would be amazing to have considering TA's supposedly did well in the class when they took it.

TAs are not supposed to give out their outlines

it's like the one rule of being a TA

sometimes they give out handouts that are pretty much their outlines, though

our K's TA distributed her "flow-charts" and "outlines" around the class but required us to give them back. people took pictures though.

almondjoy

Postby almondjoy » Wed Sep 17, 2014 8:14 pm

jbagelboy wrote:
sideroxylon wrote:
almondjoy wrote:What's the protocol for asking your TA for their outline from the class last year? Is that a no-no? I feel like this would be amazing to have considering TA's supposedly did well in the class when they took it.

our K's TA distributed her "flow-charts" and "outlines" around the class but required us to give them back. people took pictures though.

ah gotcha. Kind of a bummer but at least I know. Thanks guys.

iamgeorgebush

Postby iamgeorgebush » Wed Sep 17, 2014 8:29 pm

sideroxylon wrote:

that's annoying. what about peer mentors? is it okay to ask your peer mentors for their outlines, even if you haven't communicated much with them?

Tiago Splitter

Postby Tiago Splitter » Wed Sep 17, 2014 8:40 pm

iamgeorgebush wrote:
sideroxylon wrote:

that's annoying. what about peer mentors? is it okay to ask your peer mentors for their outlines, even if you haven't communicated much with them?

I say go for it, although I'm not a big fan of heavy reliance on others' outlines.

girlmonster

Postby girlmonster » Wed Sep 17, 2014 11:06 pm

Speaking of outlines, is there some golden nugget of wisdom buried deeply in affinity groups' outlines? I feel like joining groups specifically to access their outlines has been pushed really hard, and I don't get why. Obviously I'm missing something.

toothbrush

Postby toothbrush » Wed Sep 17, 2014 11:17 pm

girlmonster wrote:Speaking of outlines, is there some golden nugget of wisdom buried deeply in affinity groups' outlines? I feel like joining groups specifically to access their outlines has been pushed really hard, and I don't get why. Obviously I'm missing something.

you avoid the awkward transaction of asking someone to their face for their outline. also, added benefit of lots of outlines to compare/compile. but really the first point.

girlmonster

Postby girlmonster » Wed Sep 17, 2014 11:19 pm

toothbrush wrote:
girlmonster wrote:Speaking of outlines, is there some golden nugget of wisdom buried deeply in affinity groups' outlines? I feel like joining groups specifically to access their outlines has been pushed really hard, and I don't get why. Obviously I'm missing something.

you avoid the awkward transaction of asking someone to their face for their outline. also, added benefit of lots of outlines to compare/compile. but really the first point.

So are the ones from the Student Senate on the network not that helpful? I haven't been able to access the drive yet, so I honestly don't know.

toothbrush

Postby toothbrush » Wed Sep 17, 2014 11:23 pm

girlmonster wrote:
toothbrush wrote:

So are the ones from the Student Senate on the network not that helpful? I haven't been able to access the drive yet, so I honestly don't know.

fwiw i don't know first hand. however, to answer your original question more directly - there is no nugget from the affinity outlines. it's an 'easy' way to get access to a bank but if you have one already, don't feel the need to join a group just for their outlines. as someone who relied heavily on other student's outlines, there is a point where you have too many (for me, that was 3-5 per class [of which i reduced to 1-2])

jbagelboy

Postby jbagelboy » Wed Sep 17, 2014 11:29 pm

toothbrush wrote:
girlmonster wrote:
toothbrush wrote:

fwiw i don't know first hand. however, to answer your original question more directly - there is no nugget from the affinity outlines. it's an 'easy' way to get access to a bank but if you have one already, don't feel the need to join a group just for their outlines. as someone who relied heavily on other student's outlines, there is a point where you have too many (for me, that was 3-5 per class [of which i reduced to 1-2])

not sure if 1L's or 2L's, but just FYI anyone who wants a Goldberg (Civ Pro), Briffault (Property), Lynch (Crim), or Con Law outline, feel free to PM me - I'd offer my Kraus Contracts outline, but that wasn't my best class so I'm not sure it would be very instructive.

sideroxylon

Postby sideroxylon » Thu Sep 18, 2014 10:39 am

iamgeorgebush wrote:
sideroxylon wrote:

yes, that's OK

AdInfinitum

Postby AdInfinitum » Thu Sep 18, 2014 1:31 pm

Random question but how dangerous is it to leave a laptop unsupervised in the library here for short periods of time?

In undergrad it was a huge no-no but I've heard it's the norm at some other schools.

sideroxylon

Postby sideroxylon » Thu Sep 18, 2014 2:22 pm

AdInfinitum wrote:Random question but how dangerous is it to leave a laptop unsupervised in the library here for short periods of time?

In undergrad it was a huge no-no but I've heard it's the norm at some other schools.

I wouldn't do it.

Tiago Splitter

Postby Tiago Splitter » Thu Sep 18, 2014 4:20 pm

AdInfinitum wrote:Random question but how dangerous is it to leave a laptop unsupervised in the library here for short periods of time?

I do it all the time but maybe that's dumb. I only ever study downstairs though.

girlmonster

Postby girlmonster » Thu Sep 18, 2014 11:50 pm

toothbrush wrote:fwiw i don't know first hand. however, to answer your original question more directly - there is no nugget from the affinity outlines. it's an 'easy' way to get access to a bank but if you have one already, don't feel the need to join a group just for their outlines. as someone who relied heavily on other student's outlines, there is a point where you have too many (for me, that was 3-5 per class [of which i reduced to 1-2])

Thank you for the advice! I'm definitely going to keep it in mind when I'm obsessively wading through every outline I can find.

TheoO

Postby TheoO » Fri Sep 19, 2014 1:10 am

FWIW, I've heard that some cleaning crew can get "grabby" with items that have been left behind in class rooms, but mainly small stuff (something I've overheard). I, however, leave my stuff unattended pretty frequently in the library and various tables around the building.

girlmonster

Postby girlmonster » Sat Sep 20, 2014 6:57 pm

Really basic/stupid question I should know the answer to by now: What are the building hours for JG WITH a CUID?

cws277

Postby cws277 » Sat Sep 20, 2014 7:13 pm

girlmonster wrote:Really basic/stupid question I should know the answer to by now: What are the building hours for JG WITH a CUID?

24/7 baby.

girlmonster

Postby girlmonster » Sat Sep 20, 2014 7:16 pm

cws277 wrote:
girlmonster wrote:Really basic/stupid question I should know the answer to by now: What are the building hours for JG WITH a CUID?

24/7 baby.

SO EXCITED

almondjoy

Postby almondjoy » Sat Sep 20, 2014 9:21 pm

cws277 wrote:

24/7 baby.

Awesome.

almondjoy

Postby almondjoy » Sat Sep 20, 2014 9:24 pm

I would never do this myself (hopefully) but do some people just stay in JG overnight during the lead up to finals?

Tiago Splitter

Postby Tiago Splitter » Sat Sep 20, 2014 10:01 pm

almondjoy wrote:I would never do this myself (hopefully) but do some people just stay in JG overnight during the lead up to finals?

God I hope not.

txdude45

Postby txdude45 » Sat Sep 20, 2014 10:57 pm

almondjoy wrote:I would never do this myself (hopefully) but do some people just stay in JG overnight during the lead up to finals?

I know some ppl who did this, but fucking with your sleep schedule is top 5 worst things to do during finals.

cws277

Postby cws277 » Sun Sep 21, 2014 11:20 am

txdude45 wrote:

I know some ppl who did this, but fucking with your sleep schedule is top 5 worst things to do during finals.

+1

sideroxylon

Postby sideroxylon » Sun Sep 21, 2014 11:52 am

I don't know about 24/7 but I do know people who would form informal shifts to hold study space (i.e. some people would grab the room in the morning and pass it off to other people at night)

it would be pretty odd to stay in JG that long, though

not to mention totally unnecessary

Monochromatic Oeuvre

Postby Monochromatic Oeuvre » Sun Sep 21, 2014 12:38 pm

I did it twice. Both were times where I didn't have more than 3-4 hours to sleep and trusted myself to stick to that schedule a lot more on the cushioned benches on the sides of JG or the chairs in Drapkin a lot more than my warm, toasty bed.

But the amount of actual work you need to during finals tends to be overstated. If you started outlining before Thanksgiving, there's surprisingly little for you to do.

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”