Columbia students taking questions

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
sideroxylon

Re: Columbia 1L(s) taking questions

Postby sideroxylon » Sun Sep 07, 2014 12:31 pm

you all should also be aware that Kraus and V. Goldberg will probably cowrite the exam/portions of it (in years past Bob Scott wrote 9/10s of the exam for all three)

thus, supplements, black letter law, the UCC, &c. are your touchstones

Sgt Pepper

Postby Sgt Pepper » Sun Sep 07, 2014 12:36 pm

jbagelboy wrote:
Tiago Splitter wrote:
TheoO wrote:Am I wrong in thinking that the schedule doesn't seem all that intense for a beginning 1L? Three classes, most days only one on Monday and Thursday, one LPW class on Fri (for me). The only difficult days seem to be Tues and Wed, when there are 3 classes. That leaves most of monday, thurs, fri, and the weekend to do all the necessary work. I mean, I don't have a great sense of what the reading volume is, but with all that time... I feel like this won't be as intensive as when I worked a 9-6 professionally.

Also, can people who have had them give me some word on Kraus, Liebman (Torts), and S. Goldberg (CivPro)?

1. Yes there is plenty of time, so no excuse to fall behind or miss readings.

2. Kraus will stick with you for 30-40 minutes during your cold call but if you're in the big class you'll probably just get hit once per semester. His final is bizarre and tough but the reading he assigns is actually very light so just do it, go to class, and see what happens. I didn't use a supplement for that class but if I could do it over again I would have.

And yes, read Bailey v. West for day one as he will jump right in.

Definitely second the contracts supplement advice. I didn't get one and I regretted it, since his final is nothing like his class.

Actually know the UCC and Restatement well, and review the past two year's exams (although that will only help so much since he doesn't provide answer explanations). Kraus' exam is the least fair of my courses at CLS, but solid command of those rules and a working supplement will serve well. Also if the TA is who I think it is this year, she's terrific so take advantage of that resource.

I'm sure everyone has different experiences, but I thought the exam was exactly like class.

Although it appears that I am the minority in this opinion.

jbagelboy

Postby jbagelboy » Sun Sep 07, 2014 1:29 pm

Sgt Pepper wrote:
jbagelboy wrote:
Tiago Splitter wrote:
TheoO wrote:Am I wrong in thinking that the schedule doesn't seem all that intense for a beginning 1L? Three classes, most days only one on Monday and Thursday, one LPW class on Fri (for me). The only difficult days seem to be Tues and Wed, when there are 3 classes. That leaves most of monday, thurs, fri, and the weekend to do all the necessary work. I mean, I don't have a great sense of what the reading volume is, but with all that time... I feel like this won't be as intensive as when I worked a 9-6 professionally.

Also, can people who have had them give me some word on Kraus, Liebman (Torts), and S. Goldberg (CivPro)?

1. Yes there is plenty of time, so no excuse to fall behind or miss readings.

2. Kraus will stick with you for 30-40 minutes during your cold call but if you're in the big class you'll probably just get hit once per semester. His final is bizarre and tough but the reading he assigns is actually very light so just do it, go to class, and see what happens. I didn't use a supplement for that class but if I could do it over again I would have.

And yes, read Bailey v. West for day one as he will jump right in.

Definitely second the contracts supplement advice. I didn't get one and I regretted it, since his final is nothing like his class.

Actually know the UCC and Restatement well, and review the past two year's exams (although that will only help so much since he doesn't provide answer explanations). Kraus' exam is the least fair of my courses at CLS, but solid command of those rules and a working supplement will serve well. Also if the TA is who I think it is this year, she's terrific so take advantage of that resource.

I'm sure everyone has different experiences, but I thought the exam was exactly like class.

Although it appears that I am the minority in this opinion.

He's definitely a polarizing professor. I have a couple friends I respect who had positive reactions to the course/exam. That being said, Scott wrote the test and his class actually emphasized the relevant material: this disconnect shows in 11/25 on the MC receiving a median grade. If 45-75% of the class can't answer more than half the questions correctly, I think that speaks more to the quality of instruction to the exam than the quality of the student exam takers.

TheoO

Postby TheoO » Sun Sep 07, 2014 1:36 pm

Hey, for those who have had Liebman and Suzanne Goldberg, could you guys message me?

sideroxylon

Postby sideroxylon » Sun Sep 07, 2014 1:38 pm

yeah that's disappointing jbagelboy, but, tbf, there are profs who do an even worse job at teaching to the exam

1Ls: Be aware that this is pretty common at CLS—you will have professors who will expect that you learn the law for the exam on your own. They tend to treat class time as a time for discussion of things that interest them. Ask 2Ls/3Ls about your profs to see where they fall.

Kraus very clearly falls into that category.

Monochromatic Oeuvre

Postby Monochromatic Oeuvre » Sun Sep 07, 2014 2:34 pm

jbagelboy wrote:
milkandcheerios wrote:so what's the halloween party like?

was kind of a shitshow last year. pretty fun overall, saw some great costumes. I would go as a 1L since it's one of the last times people actually go out en masse, everyone starts going underground starting in november.

on the negative side, drinks were way too expensive and there was a huge line to get in. so I'd recommend having someone bite the bullet saving a space in line and pre gaming effectively if they do meatpacking again or risk an unnecessarily large bar tab

ETA: also looks like halloween will land on a friday this year, which is good. it was on thursday last yr and I definitely slept through friday LPW the next day

To clarify "kind of a shitshow," I had a $150 tab and wound up taking a piss in a phone booth on Broadway because I thought the gray walls looked like a urinal...and there were probably a couple dozen people drunker than I was.

Not sure why that particular night was such a wreck more so than early bar reviews, Mardi Gras, Barrister's, or the post-spring party. Post-fall party was sloppier but that was sort of expected.

Sgt Pepper

Postby Sgt Pepper » Sun Sep 07, 2014 4:10 pm

Any 3Ls have insight on Judge (corps) or Wu (Copyright)?

ph5354a

Postby ph5354a » Sun Sep 07, 2014 4:45 pm

Monochromatic Oeuvre wrote:
jbagelboy wrote:
milkandcheerios wrote:so what's the halloween party like?

was kind of a shitshow last year. pretty fun overall, saw some great costumes. I would go as a 1L since it's one of the last times people actually go out en masse, everyone starts going underground starting in november.

on the negative side, drinks were way too expensive and there was a huge line to get in. so I'd recommend having someone bite the bullet saving a space in line and pre gaming effectively if they do meatpacking again or risk an unnecessarily large bar tab

ETA: also looks like halloween will land on a friday this year, which is good. it was on thursday last yr and I definitely slept through friday LPW the next day

To clarify "kind of a shitshow," I had a $150 tab and wound up taking a piss in a phone booth on Broadway because I thought the gray walls looked like a urinal...and there were probably a couple dozen people drunker than I was.

Not sure why that particular night was such a wreck more so than early bar reviews, Mardi Gras, Barrister's, or the post-spring party. Post-fall party was sloppier but that was sort of expected.

I threw up on a church

almondjoy

Postby almondjoy » Sun Sep 07, 2014 6:30 pm

Anybody have some helpful tips they're willing to share for either hamburger (contracts) Cleveland (civ pro) or Stein (torts)? Any advice would be great!

Humbert Humbert

Postby Humbert Humbert » Sun Sep 07, 2014 7:17 pm

almondjoy wrote:Anybody have some helpful tips they're willing to share for either hamburger (contracts) Cleveland (civ pro) or Stein (torts)? Any advice would be great!

Any thoughts/advice on Johnson or Merrill (for torts)?

legallion729

Postby legallion729 » Sun Sep 07, 2014 8:48 pm

Humbert Humbert wrote:
almondjoy wrote:Anybody have some helpful tips they're willing to share for either hamburger (contracts) Cleveland (civ pro) or Stein (torts)? Any advice would be great!

3L lurker here who has nothing to do this year. I had Merrill 1L year. He has a dry sense of humor and sometimes asks random questions, but he's systematic, which makes him easy to learn. He also doesn't test on policy at all (a good thing IMO), just applying the law. I think I know who one of your TAs is and if the other TA did similarly in his class, use them for help.

Monochromatic Oeuvre

Postby Monochromatic Oeuvre » Mon Sep 08, 2014 12:59 am

Humbert Humbert wrote:

Merrill frequently has this look on his face that says that "Actually teaching is the worst part of my day."

He gave me the very first cold call in the very first 1L class I ever had. Destroyed me because I tried to stay logically consistent. Saw him do the same thing to a bunch of other people. Probably the only professor I had who seems to take a certain amount of pleasure in making you look like an idiot. Will sometimes ask these super-complicated hypos that are impossible to answer, and then when you think he's going to reveal the Holy Grail, he says "Yeah, I'm not sure about that one."

So not particularly upbeat, but completely brilliant. Last guy I would ever want to get a beer with, but I respect the hell out of him.

Lovely Ludwig Van

Postby Lovely Ludwig Van » Mon Sep 08, 2014 2:33 pm

Can anyone give advice on Emens' employment discrimination class? Much appreciated.

DR3

Postby DR3 » Wed Sep 10, 2014 8:52 am

Hey what's the attire for this 1L dinner event?

Tiago Splitter

Postby Tiago Splitter » Wed Sep 10, 2014 11:52 am

DR3 wrote:Hey what's the attire for this 1L dinner event?

Most guys wear suits.

TheoO

Postby TheoO » Wed Sep 10, 2014 5:34 pm

Ugh, my suit is not ready yet.

Doorkeeper

Postby Doorkeeper » Thu Sep 11, 2014 1:57 pm

HLS student here: Anyone have thoughts on Emens? Even better, would anyone be up to sending me an old exam of hers to see her style?

ph5354a

Postby ph5354a » Thu Sep 11, 2014 4:58 pm

Doorkeeper wrote:HLS student here: Anyone have thoughts on Emens? Even better, would anyone be up to sending me an old exam of hers to see her style?

What course are you taking with her? Loved her in my small contracts section. She was pretty big on the underlying theories and identifying how default/mandatory rules reflect the various theories. She'll also get into the weeds of the language of the Restatement and UCC. In the small section, she was pretty big on participation and did cold calls, but tended to ask pretty specific questions and move on to the next person quickly. Will also ask peoples opinions on cases, etc. pretty regularly.

Vursz

Postby Vursz » Sat Sep 13, 2014 6:19 pm

Hey all, YLS student here. Does anyone know of/happen to have an outline/old exam for Abbe Gluck's Civil Procedure class? If so, would you mind shooting me a PM?

BigLaw_Lit

Postby BigLaw_Lit » Mon Sep 15, 2014 5:44 pm

Hey guys,

Just to preface - I have a macbook air without a built in ethernet cable or separate ethernet card.

1. What am I supposed to do regarding registering my network card? On lawnet it asks for a card address and I can't figure out what they want.
2. Do you guys recommend buying an ethernet adapter in case I can't access the internet during an exam?

Thanks!

mylifeis24

Postby mylifeis24 » Mon Sep 15, 2014 6:04 pm

BigLaw_Lit wrote:Hey guys,

Just to preface - I have a macbook air without a built in ethernet cable or separate ethernet card.

1. What am I supposed to do regarding registering my network card? On lawnet it asks for a card address and I can't figure out what they want.
2. Do you guys recommend buying an ethernet adapter in case I can't access the internet during an exam?

Thanks!

Every Mac has an ethernet card, even if it doesn't have an ethernet port. See page 5 of the configuration manual. http://web.law.columbia.edu/sites/default/files/microsites/information-technology/files/Mac%2BOSX%2BManual.pdf

lunaraeon

Postby lunaraeon » Wed Sep 17, 2014 1:22 am

mylifeis24 wrote:

Thanks!

Every Mac has an ethernet card, even if it doesn't have an ethernet port. See page 5 of the configuration manual. http://web.law.columbia.edu/sites/default/files/microsites/information-technology/files/Mac%2BOSX%2BManual.pdf

Sort of. You register your wireless card (just like you would have to if you had that and an Ethernet card), not an Ethernet card—which you would only have if you had an Ethernet port.

Either follow the instructions in the PDF (after step 2, skip to step 7 like they tell you), or this: "About This Mac" from the top left corner of your screen (the apple icon) —> More Info... —> System Report —> (Under "Network") Wi-Fi —> The xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx thing after "MAC Address:". Put that into the registration form.

(And no, don't buy an Ethernet adapter. Internet is only used at the very end of an exam, and if it doesn't work, they can save your exam another way.)

cws277

Postby cws277 » Wed Sep 17, 2014 1:32 am

lunaraeon wrote:
mylifeis24 wrote:

Thanks!

Sort of. You register your wireless card (just like you would have to if you had that and an Ethernet card), not an Ethernet card—which you would only have if you had an Ethernet port.

Either follow the instructions in the PDF (after step 2, skip to step 7 like they tell you), or this: "About This Mac" from the top left corner of your screen (the apple icon) —> More Info... —> System Report —> (Under "Network") Wi-Fi —> The xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx thing after "MAC Address:". Put that into the registration form.

(And no, don't buy an Ethernet adapter. Internet is only used at the very end of an exam, and if it doesn't work, they can save your exam another way.)

I agree that you won't need ethernet for the exam, but there were a ton of days in the spring when the wifi just didn't work at all in 106 and on those days, I was very glad I had my ethernet adapter in class. Don't buy the Apple one though. Monoprice as a USB-ethernet adapter for less than $7.

almondjoy

Postby almondjoy » Wed Sep 17, 2014 7:11 pm

What's the protocol for asking your TA for their outline from the class last year? Is that a no-no? I feel like this would be amazing to have considering TA's supposedly did well in the class when they took it.

sideroxylon

Postby sideroxylon » Wed Sep 17, 2014 7:33 pm

almondjoy wrote:What's the protocol for asking your TA for their outline from the class last year? Is that a no-no? I feel like this would be amazing to have considering TA's supposedly did well in the class when they took it.

TAs are not supposed to give out their outlines

it's like the one rule of being a TA

sometimes they give out handouts that are pretty much their outlines, though

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”