Columbia students taking questions

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
lunaraeon

Re: Columbia 1L(s) taking questions

Postby lunaraeon » Fri Aug 29, 2014 9:52 pm

girlmonster wrote:Thanks for the more general advice, moonman! That's an excellent message to keep in mind, and one I'll share with some of my fellow 1Ls.
Good call, if you tell everyone then you lose the advantage. :lol:

BigLaw_Lit

Postby BigLaw_Lit » Mon Sep 01, 2014 11:43 am

Hey guys,

I'm a neurotic 1l and am wondering how bad it is to miss several classes for weddings or holidays - the missed days would be in the first half of the semester if it matters. What do you guys think? Just get a friend's notes and let the professors' know or should I really make sure to not miss much class. Basically, how big a deal is missing class?

Thanks

jbagelboy

Postby jbagelboy » Mon Sep 01, 2014 11:59 am

BigLaw_Lit wrote:Hey guys,

I'm a neurotic 1l and am wondering how bad it is to miss several classes for weddings or holidays - the missed days would be in the first half of the semester if it matters. What do you guys think? Just get a friend's notes and let the professors' know or should I really make sure to not miss much class. Basically, how big a deal is missing class?

Thanks

I missed a bunch of class when my grandparent was in the hospital and for her funeral; i also missed a couple classes when I was really hung over. If it's LPW definitely email the prof and confirm it's okay, ect. Otherwise the prof wouldn't care although I tried to alert my small section prof when I'd be out/apologize for missing class

downbeat14

Postby downbeat14 » Mon Sep 01, 2014 1:29 pm

Last edited by downbeat14 on Mon Apr 27, 2015 5:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tiago Splitter

Postby Tiago Splitter » Mon Sep 01, 2014 2:42 pm

^It's not a big deal. There's no reason to think LOR's are particularly important at CLS.

iamgeorgebush

Postby iamgeorgebush » Mon Sep 01, 2014 4:24 pm

downbeat14 wrote:Hello CLS 1Ls,

Some of us working on the app for 2018 were troubled by the following instructions in the app:

For applicants currently working on a full-time basis, a letter from an employer or immediate supervisor who most recently supervised your full-time work is required and may replace one of the two faculty letters. In some instances, applicants may find it extremely difficult to obtain one of the required appraisals. If that is the case, applicants must use their best judgment to determine what letters should be submitted to complete their file, with the understanding of how valuable letters of recommendation are to our evaluation of their qualifications for admission.

[etc. etc.]

hmm that's new. i assume the reason you don't want to ask your employer for a LOR is that you don't want them to know so early that you plan to leave for LS? in that case, perhaps explain this in an addendum to CLS? not sure if that's tcr.

djwjddl

Postby djwjddl » Tue Sep 02, 2014 6:31 pm

can anybody recommend a good supp for goshen's corporations class?

mylifeis24

Postby mylifeis24 » Tue Sep 02, 2014 11:30 pm

Hey 2Ls and 3Ls! Any of you have a recommendation on good supplements for Torts, specifically with Blasi, or Property, specifically with Dagen? Thanks!

MCFC

Postby MCFC » Wed Sep 03, 2014 6:42 am

mylifeis24 wrote:Hey 2Ls and 3Ls! Any of you have a recommendation on good supplements for Torts, specifically with Blasi, or Property, specifically with Dagen? Thanks!

For Blasi, I think most of us just relied on the Abraham book that he assigns.

banjo

Postby banjo » Wed Sep 03, 2014 9:26 am

I liked the Glannon E&E for Torts. For Property, I think it depends on your textbook. If you're using Merrill/Smith, there's an Oxford Introductions written by the same author.

lunaraeon

Postby lunaraeon » Wed Sep 03, 2014 2:41 pm

Tiago Splitter wrote:^It's not a big deal. There's no reason to think LOR's are particularly important at CLS.

+1

And if the instructions are confusing, since it's a new requirement, Admissions would know best. Just contact them :)

girlmonster

Postby girlmonster » Wed Sep 03, 2014 5:17 pm

Barber shops have already been discussed, but do any ladies have recommendations for budget-friendly hair salons?

ph5354a

Postby ph5354a » Wed Sep 03, 2014 5:21 pm

girlmonster wrote:Barber shops have already been discussed, but do any ladies have recommendations for budget-friendly hair salons?

I'm a big fan of Scott J on Broadway. It's an Aveda salon and if you go with a junior stylist it's only $50.

ETA: I realize that's not the most budget-friendly, but it's a good quality haircut for a decent price, which is more than can be said for a lot of NYC salons.

ph5354a

Postby ph5354a » Thu Sep 04, 2014 4:35 pm

Any suggestions for Evidence supplements for Capra?

Yes...I'm posting this during class.

girlmonster

Postby girlmonster » Fri Sep 05, 2014 8:39 pm

ph5354a wrote:
girlmonster wrote:Barber shops have already been discussed, but do any ladies have recommendations for budget-friendly hair salons?

I'm a big fan of Scott J on Broadway. It's an Aveda salon and if you go with a junior stylist it's only $50.

ETA: I realize that's not the most budget-friendly, but it's a good quality haircut for a decent price, which is more than can be said for a lot of NYC salons.

Thanks for the tip! A $50 cut is definitely budget-friendly by NYC standards (or most city standards for that matter).

I have (yet) another question that has already been answered, but I can't find it now. Do we keep the same section from fall semester to spring?

TheoO

Postby TheoO » Sat Sep 06, 2014 9:25 pm

Am I wrong in thinking that the schedule doesn't seem all that intense for a beginning 1L? Three classes, most days only one on Monday and Thursday, one LPW class on Fri (for me). The only difficult days seem to be Tues and Wed, when there are 3 classes. That leaves most of monday, thurs, fri, and the weekend to do all the necessary work. I mean, I don't have a great sense of what the reading volume is, but with all that time... I feel like this won't be as intensive as when I worked a 9-6 professionally.

Also, can people who have had them give me some word on Kraus, Liebman (Torts), and S. Goldberg (CivPro)?

J90

Postby J90 » Sat Sep 06, 2014 9:38 pm

TheoO wrote:Am I wrong in thinking that the schedule doesn't seem all that intense for a beginning 1L? Three classes, most days only one on Monday and Thursday, one LPW class on Fri (for me). The only difficult days seem to be Tues and Wed, when there are 3 classes. That leaves most of monday, thurs, fri, and the weekend to do all the necessary work. I mean, I don't have a great sense of what the reading volume is, but with all that time... I feel like this won't be as intensive as when I worked a 9-6 professionally.

Also, can people who have had them give me some word on Kraus, Liebman (Torts), and S. Goldberg (CivPro)?

Law school's not intense because of the class schedule, it's intense because it's predicated on a curve. Doing all the reading on time doesn't guarantee you a great grade. You have to understand the material better than everyone else to do well, and they'll all have read all the same cases you have. That said, you're right in one sense - you'll still have time to go out a night or two a week if you want, or spend time not studying (at least until late November!).

But 1L's definitely not easy.

milkandcheerios

Postby milkandcheerios » Sat Sep 06, 2014 10:37 pm

so what's the halloween party like?

jbagelboy

Postby jbagelboy » Sat Sep 06, 2014 10:43 pm

milkandcheerios wrote:so what's the halloween party like?

was kind of a shitshow last year. pretty fun overall, saw some great costumes. I would go as a 1L since it's one of the last times people actually go out en masse, everyone starts going underground starting in november.

on the negative side, drinks were way too expensive and there was a huge line to get in. so I'd recommend having someone bite the bullet saving a space in line and pre gaming effectively if they do meatpacking again or risk an unnecessarily large bar tab

ETA: also looks like halloween will land on a friday this year, which is good. it was on thursday last yr and I definitely slept through friday LPW the next day

MCFC

Postby MCFC » Sun Sep 07, 2014 7:42 am

TheoO wrote:

I thought Goldberg was really great. Pretty heavy reading load though, she covers a lot of material.

Kraus... Well, I'd be ready on the first day. Probably the most intense cold caller you'll have this year. He definitely has his fans, and he can be pretty funny at times. I know some people thought he was pretty condescending towards the women in our class though.

Tiago Splitter

Postby Tiago Splitter » Sun Sep 07, 2014 10:21 am

TheoO wrote:Am I wrong in thinking that the schedule doesn't seem all that intense for a beginning 1L? Three classes, most days only one on Monday and Thursday, one LPW class on Fri (for me). The only difficult days seem to be Tues and Wed, when there are 3 classes. That leaves most of monday, thurs, fri, and the weekend to do all the necessary work. I mean, I don't have a great sense of what the reading volume is, but with all that time... I feel like this won't be as intensive as when I worked a 9-6 professionally.

1. Yes there is plenty of time, so no excuse to fall behind or miss readings.

2. Kraus will stick with you for 30-40 minutes during your cold call but if you're in the big class you'll probably just get hit once per semester. His final is bizarre and tough but the reading he assigns is actually very light so just do it, go to class, and see what happens. I didn't use a supplement for that class but if I could do it over again I would have.

And yes, read Bailey v. West for day one as he will jump right in.

Sgt Pepper

Postby Sgt Pepper » Sun Sep 07, 2014 11:35 am

TheoO wrote:Also, can people who have had them give me some word on Kraus, Liebman (Torts), and S. Goldberg (CivPro)?

Kraus is the man. Easily my favorite professor so far. I personally didn't use a supplement at all and I think that was the right call. He has his own way of doing things so just be sure to pay a lot of attention in class. Also, as people have said, since the reading isn't very long you should read it carefully.

TheoO

Postby TheoO » Sun Sep 07, 2014 11:46 am

Yea I purchased the E&E and began reading the small chirelstein book for some insights. I emailed Kraus about using hornbooks or e&e and he didn't recommend it

Regarding the notes in a case in the book, is there much value in thinking through the hypos?

Tiago Splitter

Postby Tiago Splitter » Sun Sep 07, 2014 11:52 am

Good to hear Kraus is now responding to emails.

jbagelboy

Postby jbagelboy » Sun Sep 07, 2014 12:28 pm

Tiago Splitter wrote:

1. Yes there is plenty of time, so no excuse to fall behind or miss readings.

2. Kraus will stick with you for 30-40 minutes during your cold call but if you're in the big class you'll probably just get hit once per semester. His final is bizarre and tough but the reading he assigns is actually very light so just do it, go to class, and see what happens. I didn't use a supplement for that class but if I could do it over again I would have.

And yes, read Bailey v. West for day one as he will jump right in.

Definitely second the contracts supplement advice. I didn't get one and I regretted it, since his final is nothing like his class.

Actually know the UCC and Restatement well, and review the past two year's exams (although that will only help so much since he doesn't provide answer explanations). Kraus' exam is the least fair of my courses at CLS, but solid command of those rules and a working supplement will serve well. Also if the TA is who I think it is this year, she's terrific so take advantage of that resource.

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”