Columbia students taking questions

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
User avatar
ph5354a
Posts: 1599
Joined: Thu Nov 01, 2012 7:40 pm

Re: Columbia 1L(s) taking questions

Postby ph5354a » Fri Aug 15, 2014 12:10 pm

Can any 3Ls, if you remain, speak to the WL action, and how many generally get in for a large BLL class like say...Corporations? How high up on the WL should you be to have a good shot at making it in?

User avatar
txdude45
Posts: 912
Joined: Mon May 21, 2012 6:25 pm

Re: Columbia 1L(s) taking questions

Postby txdude45 » Fri Aug 15, 2014 12:17 pm

ph5354a wrote:Can any 3Ls, if you remain, speak to the WL action, and how many generally get in for a large BLL class like say...Corporations? How high up on the WL should you be to have a good shot at making it in?


Not a 3L (but you knew that already). Last year I saw 2/3Ls drop by professors' offices or email them to make their case to be let in. From my understanding, based talking to ppl during elective stuff, professors have the discretion to add people to their classes. I'd start with sending an email to Judge and see what happens. Jackson simply won't be a thing. He's way too in demand and will have 3Ls chasing him down for a spot.

User avatar
Tiago Splitter
Posts: 15523
Joined: Tue Jun 28, 2011 1:20 am

Re: Columbia 1L(s) taking questions

Postby Tiago Splitter » Fri Aug 15, 2014 12:22 pm

Waitlist action tends to be pretty significant. If it's a big BLL class that isn't taught by Robert Jackson you will probably get in. And FWIW I know of a 2L who bugged Jackson enough that he got in to the class last year, although it's likely that fewer people want to take corporations second semester.

lunaraeon
Posts: 186
Joined: Thu Nov 01, 2012 9:07 pm

Re: Columbia 1L(s) taking questions

Postby lunaraeon » Sat Aug 16, 2014 12:16 pm

Tiago Splitter wrote:Waitlist action tends to be pretty significant. If it's a big BLL class that isn't taught by Robert Jackson you will probably get in. And FWIW I know of a 2L who bugged Jackson enough that he got in to the class last year, although it's likely that fewer people want to take corporations second semester.

Jackson is pretty upfront about letting people in who go to the trouble of (politely) asking him, and giving a reason. He just wants to see that you're willing to invest your time to ask and convince him. At least one current 2L has gotten in by speaking to him.

The worst that happens is that he says no, anyways :)

User avatar
milkandcheerios
Posts: 295
Joined: Thu Aug 01, 2013 7:58 pm

Re: Columbia 1L(s) taking questions

Postby milkandcheerios » Sun Aug 17, 2014 10:42 am

When a professor requires the newest edition of a textbook, is an older one usually sufficient? I suppose this varies on a case by case basis, but I'm just wondering in general because the price difference is huge.

User avatar
ph5354a
Posts: 1599
Joined: Thu Nov 01, 2012 7:40 pm

Re: Columbia 1L(s) taking questions

Postby ph5354a » Sun Aug 17, 2014 11:45 am

milkandcheerios wrote:When a professor requires the newest edition of a textbook, is an older one usually sufficient? I suppose this varies on a case by case basis, but I'm just wondering in general because the price difference is huge.


The differences are likely minimal, but the page numbers will probably be different, which will be a huge pain in the ass. If you're interested in saving even more money, I highly recommend scanning your textbooks from the library and printing out reading as needed. It'll be time-consuming, but it goes by fast if you can get a couple like-minded friends to share the work with you.

User avatar
txdude45
Posts: 912
Joined: Mon May 21, 2012 6:25 pm

Re: Columbia 1L(s) taking questions

Postby txdude45 » Sun Aug 17, 2014 11:53 am

Best part of scanning is that you can make searchable pdfs, which are my favorite thing in the (law school) world.

User avatar
Tekrul
Posts: 493
Joined: Wed Apr 10, 2013 8:17 pm

Re: Columbia 1L(s) taking questions

Postby Tekrul » Sun Aug 17, 2014 9:40 pm

Moving onto campus this year and have a "move-in appointment" for August 25, 2:30pm. Does this mean I have to move all my things in on August 25 or do I get the whole 25-29 period it let me pick from and the August 25, 2:30pm is just my time to sign the lease?

Thanks!

User avatar
Tiago Splitter
Posts: 15523
Joined: Tue Jun 28, 2011 1:20 am

Re: Columbia 1L(s) taking questions

Postby Tiago Splitter » Sun Aug 17, 2014 9:46 pm

Tekrul wrote:Moving onto campus this year and have a "move-in appointment" for August 25, 2:30pm. Does this mean I have to move all my things in on August 25 or do I get the whole 25-29 period it let me pick from and the August 25, 2:30pm is just my time to sign the lease?

Thanks!

You'll just get the paperwork that enables you to go to the landlord and get your keys. From there you can move in any time.

User avatar
Tekrul
Posts: 493
Joined: Wed Apr 10, 2013 8:17 pm

Re: Columbia 1L(s) taking questions

Postby Tekrul » Sun Aug 17, 2014 9:51 pm

Tiago Splitter wrote:
Tekrul wrote:Moving onto campus this year and have a "move-in appointment" for August 25, 2:30pm. Does this mean I have to move all my things in on August 25 or do I get the whole 25-29 period it let me pick from and the August 25, 2:30pm is just my time to sign the lease?

Thanks!

You'll just get the paperwork that enables you to go to the landlord and get your keys. From there you can move in any time.


Thanks tiago - also wanted to say thanks for your all your help/advice/time in the EIP thread.

User avatar
jbagelboy
Posts: 9651
Joined: Thu Nov 29, 2012 7:57 pm

Re: Columbia 1L(s) taking questions

Postby jbagelboy » Sun Aug 17, 2014 11:39 pm

Tekrul wrote:
Tiago Splitter wrote:
Tekrul wrote:Moving onto campus this year and have a "move-in appointment" for August 25, 2:30pm. Does this mean I have to move all my things in on August 25 or do I get the whole 25-29 period it let me pick from and the August 25, 2:30pm is just my time to sign the lease?

Thanks!

You'll just get the paperwork that enables you to go to the landlord and get your keys. From there you can move in any time.


Thanks tiago - also wanted to say thanks for your all your help/advice/time in the EIP thread.


yo! this is great news man.

User avatar
Tekrul
Posts: 493
Joined: Wed Apr 10, 2013 8:17 pm

Re: Columbia 1L(s) taking questions

Postby Tekrul » Wed Aug 20, 2014 10:54 pm

Thanks jb! This year is going to be sick.

User avatar
MCFC
Posts: 8519
Joined: Mon Oct 17, 2011 6:46 pm

Re: Columbia 1L(s) taking questions

Postby MCFC » Fri Aug 22, 2014 2:48 pm

Any fellow 2Ls mind sharing how many credits they've signed up for? Right now I'm at 4 courses for 15 credits, not including anything I would get for writing a note. I think dropping one course would be a good call while not leaving me with scrambling credit wise down the road. Am I reading this right?

User avatar
txdude45
Posts: 912
Joined: Mon May 21, 2012 6:25 pm

Re: Columbia 1L(s) taking questions

Postby txdude45 » Fri Aug 22, 2014 6:11 pm

MCFC wrote:Any fellow 2Ls mind sharing how many credits they've signed up for? Right now I'm at 4 courses for 15 credits, not including anything I would get for writing a note. I think dropping one course would be a good call while not leaving me with scrambling credit wise down the road. Am I reading this right?


I'm also at 15+journal. 4/15 are my externship, so I view it more as a 12-13 credit thing. Were I at a hard 15+journal, I'd probably drop a 2 or 3 credit class.

User avatar
MCFC
Posts: 8519
Joined: Mon Oct 17, 2011 6:46 pm

Re: Columbia 1L(s) taking questions

Postby MCFC » Sat Aug 23, 2014 10:37 am

txdude45 wrote:
MCFC wrote:Any fellow 2Ls mind sharing how many credits they've signed up for? Right now I'm at 4 courses for 15 credits, not including anything I would get for writing a note. I think dropping one course would be a good call while not leaving me with scrambling credit wise down the road. Am I reading this right?


I'm also at 15+journal. 4/15 are my externship, so I view it more as a 12-13 credit thing. Were I at a hard 15+journal, I'd probably drop a 2 or 3 credit class.


Thanks!

User avatar
Monochromatic Oeuvre
Posts: 1929
Joined: Fri May 10, 2013 9:40 pm

Re: Columbia 1L(s) taking questions

Postby Monochromatic Oeuvre » Sat Aug 23, 2014 12:13 pm

Is there any way to see what courses still have spots available or are we in the dark on that one?

lunaraeon
Posts: 186
Joined: Thu Nov 01, 2012 9:07 pm

Re: Columbia 1L(s) taking questions

Postby lunaraeon » Sat Aug 23, 2014 6:37 pm

Monochromatic Oeuvre wrote:Is there any way to see what courses still have spots available or are we in the dark on that one?

I would go talk to Registration Services, though you only have a 3 hour window on Monday before it becomes moot, right? So maybe just wait.

User avatar
moonman157
Posts: 1039
Joined: Mon Nov 14, 2011 10:26 pm

Re: Columbia 1L(s) taking questions

Postby moonman157 » Sun Aug 24, 2014 3:39 pm

For add/drop, do you have to log in right at noon to get classes that are desirable, like we had to do for the add period for EIP? I don't have enough credit hours right now (I'm on some WLs) but I will be at a callback at noon tomorrow. Thanks guys!

toothbrush
Posts: 2388
Joined: Thu Jul 05, 2012 2:21 pm

Re: Columbia 1L(s) taking questions

Postby toothbrush » Sun Aug 24, 2014 4:25 pm

Can anyone give the run down (or point me to an already written guide) on eating in Morningside? I've had varied success just yelping places and walking down broadway. Maybe some good take-out, sit-down, and cheap options would be a good place to start?

I'm sorry if this has been discussed before.

User avatar
ph5354a
Posts: 1599
Joined: Thu Nov 01, 2012 7:40 pm

Re: Columbia 1L(s) taking questions

Postby ph5354a » Sun Aug 24, 2014 7:12 pm

If you plan on doing a secondary journal note for your Major Writing Credit, do you get actual credit for that, or is it more of a checkmark thing? The registration form for the Major Writing Credit says "0 credits" but I thought I'd heard of people getting credit for a note. Do you have to register for the Major Writing Credit and also register to get Supervised Research credit? Trying to figure out how many credits I need to add tomorrow. #confused.

User avatar
banjo
Posts: 1345
Joined: Wed Nov 30, 2011 8:00 pm

Re: Columbia 1L(s) taking questions

Postby banjo » Sun Aug 24, 2014 10:47 pm

toothbrush wrote:Can anyone give the run down (or point me to an already written guide) on eating in Morningside? I've had varied success just yelping places and walking down broadway. Maybe some good take-out, sit-down, and cheap options would be a good place to start?

I'm sorry if this has been discussed before.


Sure. Here's a good guide: http://columbiaspectator.com/2013/08/25 ... ood-matrix

AdInfinitum
Posts: 69
Joined: Mon Jan 27, 2014 3:22 pm

Re: Columbia 1L(s) taking questions

Postby AdInfinitum » Mon Aug 25, 2014 1:04 am

Today is Bobbitt's Covington party which sounds pretty fun. Curious about what it's actually like - the details have been a bit vague. Anyone who's had him able to offer some insight?

JVK
Posts: 102
Joined: Sat Apr 06, 2013 12:55 pm

Re: Columbia 1L(s) taking questions

Postby JVK » Mon Aug 25, 2014 1:17 am

AdInfinitum wrote:Today is Bobbitt's Covington party which sounds pretty fun. Curious about what it's actually like - the details have been a bit vague. Anyone who's had him able to offer some insight?


I went last year!

It's very tame, but a lot of fun - you're up on the (42nd?) floor of the New York Times building, and they've got an open supply of food, wine, and cheese. He showed up about 30-45 minutes late then just made his way around the room talking to everyone, along with his wife and son. Treat it as a fun social event because that's all it is.

The view's gorgeous and panoramic (you'll have a 180 degree view of the Manhattan skyline and water).

User avatar
jbagelboy
Posts: 9651
Joined: Thu Nov 29, 2012 7:57 pm

Re: Columbia 1L(s) taking questions

Postby jbagelboy » Mon Aug 25, 2014 8:08 am

would taking Conflict of Laws with Monaghan be a suicidal move? Not looking to kill myself this semester and obviously haven't taken fed courts, but the subject matter does interest me & it's one of the few that doesn't clash time wise with my current schedule

User avatar
Monochromatic Oeuvre
Posts: 1929
Joined: Fri May 10, 2013 9:40 pm

Re: Columbia 1L(s) taking questions

Postby Monochromatic Oeuvre » Mon Aug 25, 2014 5:54 pm

jbagelboy wrote:would taking Conflict of Laws with Monaghan be a suicidal move? Not looking to kill myself this semester and obviously haven't taken fed courts, but the subject matter does interest me & it's one of the few that doesn't clash time wise with my current schedule


CLS has effectively assigned one of the most complained-about professors to teach one of the most important classes you could learn in law school (as said so by HPM himself). The biggest problem with Monaghan is that he does not explain basic doctrine before launching into really high level discussion that just goes over students' heads. So you're pretty much stuck teaching yourself basic fed courts. It's like the blind leading the blind. And I feel like this problem is relatively easy to fix, but the fact that Monaghan makes no effort to do this shows how little he cares about students.


That was enough to frighten me off.

But then again, I signed up for another semester of Merrill, so what the hell do I know.




Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], Google Adsense [Bot], pahuber2 and 6 guests