Columbia students taking questions

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
txdude45

Re: Columbia 1L(s) taking questions

Postby txdude45 » Mon Aug 04, 2014 11:10 pm

milkandcheerios wrote:Do most people go home over winterbreak?

Absolutely. It's one of the few breaks long enough for everyone to go home regardless of flight length.

lunaraeon

Postby lunaraeon » Tue Aug 05, 2014 12:34 am

Tiago Splitter wrote:
toothbrush wrote:do you think someone could live with you 100% of the time in uah and they wouldn't care ?

I have four months of experience that says no they won't. Although making copies of the keys isn't all that easy.

Depends if it has the "do not duplicate stamp". It's pretty random whether it will, my building and apartment keys don't, but my roommate's do; anyways, University Hardware can copy all the keys, and the Korean key place across Broadway from UH can copy most and will point you to UH if they can't. Cheap, and totally worth it. (Like, for the person you're having live with you 100% of the time. :P)

MCFC wrote:
jdapplicant wrote:What's the schedule like for Legal Methods? One class per day M-F? How long is the class each day?

Two classes per day. My class met for 1hr 50 min before lunch and then for another 1hr 40min in the late afternoon. But our section was on a different schedule (only two weeks of LM instead of three), so I would imagine your classes won't last as long.

I haven't looked at the class list in a while, but if I remember correctly there are two schedules, with two of the four LM classes adhering to each. Strauss and one other professor have their classes 9-11 and 2-3 M/T/W/R/F, and I think the other two classes start later in the day. But you can bank on having 3 hours of class per day, five days a week.

txdude45 wrote:

Absolutely. It's one of the few breaks long enough for everyone to go home regardless of flight length.

Heck, even I went home, and I had to get back to a different country. But there are enough people in town to hang out with if you stay.

almondjoy

Postby almondjoy » Wed Aug 06, 2014 9:35 pm

txdude45 wrote:

What about Thanksgiving?

txdude45

Postby txdude45 » Thu Aug 07, 2014 7:35 am

almondjoy wrote:
txdude45 wrote:

What about Thanksgiving?

A lot of students stay. The Canadian students had a thing for those who stayed during the break and I hear it was well attended.

KingFish

Postby KingFish » Thu Aug 07, 2014 6:36 pm

txdude45 wrote:
almondjoy wrote:
txdude45 wrote:

What about Thanksgiving?

A lot of students stay. The Canadian students had a thing for those who stayed during the break and I hear it was well attended.

The Thanksgiving thing was very nice. A lot of people stayed here.

lunaraeon

Postby lunaraeon » Sat Aug 09, 2014 10:45 am

KingFish wrote:
txdude45 wrote:
almondjoy wrote:What about Thanksgiving?

The Thanksgiving thing was very nice. A lot of people stayed here.

Just to clarify, Canadian Club had an event for Canadian Thanksgiving and will likely do it again, and Senate as a whole runs a big (big) dinner for students during American Thanksgiving. But definitely many students stay (though many leave, too), and especially LLMs will be in the city.

girlmonster

Postby girlmonster » Sun Aug 10, 2014 11:28 am

I won't have the internet in my apartment set up for a few more days. Any recommendations on where to go to partake in Columbia's free WiFi?

Monochromatic Oeuvre

Postby Monochromatic Oeuvre » Sun Aug 10, 2014 4:07 pm

girlmonster wrote:I won't have the internet in my apartment set up for a few more days. Any recommendations on where to go to partake in Columbia's free WiFi?

If you can get into the law school, it's going to be dead quiet next week, so that'd be a good place. However, IIRC you have to register your computer to be able to access the main WiFi network, so you'll have to find where the Guest network functions. If the law school doesn't work, you could try the lounges in Lenfest (lobby and G1).

MCFC

Postby MCFC » Sun Aug 10, 2014 7:38 pm

Here's some info on how to connect to the law school network in JG. Not sure if there's something you have to do in person at orientation, I think I recall just following the manual on my own and getting to work, but not 100% sure.

The internet in Big Warren can usually be accessed as a guest without a login, so that's another option.

JDDreaming

Postby JDDreaming » Sun Aug 10, 2014 8:25 pm

Hey everyone! I'm an incoming 1L and received an email last week telling me that my loan disbursement would occur on August 11th (tomorrow). Does anyone have any idea how those loans are "disbursed?" Thank so much for your help!

girlmonster

Postby girlmonster » Sun Aug 10, 2014 8:57 pm

Thanks for the internet help! Now let my on-campus lurking commence. Hopefully I can set everything up on my own, so that when they go over it at orientation, I can let out a bored sigh that tells everyone I'm one step ahead.

mylifeis24

Postby mylifeis24 » Mon Aug 11, 2014 9:03 am

I'm doubting there is such a thing as a good or bad locker choice, but does anyone have any suggestions on picking one methodically rather than randomly?

starrydreamz3

Postby starrydreamz3 » Mon Aug 11, 2014 9:15 am

mylifeis24 wrote:I'm doubting there is such a thing as a good or bad locker choice, but does anyone have any suggestions on picking one methodically rather than randomly?

Odd's are top, evens are bottom, and from personal preference avoid locker that are right on the corners. People turning into the halls will tend to bump into you.

starrydreamz3

Postby starrydreamz3 » Tue Aug 12, 2014 5:42 pm

Now that schedules are up, can anyone tell me what "Seat Reserved" means? Looks like I went over my credit limit so it stopped assigning classes. If I drop a few of my other classes, will I automatically get the class that has "seat reserved" noted?

girlmonster

Postby girlmonster » Tue Aug 12, 2014 10:26 pm

Edit: Problem solved!

girlmonster

Postby girlmonster » Wed Aug 13, 2014 2:47 pm

How do y'all feel about Columbia's health insurance?

Tiago Splitter

Postby Tiago Splitter » Wed Aug 13, 2014 2:51 pm

girlmonster wrote:How do y'all feel about Columbia's health insurance?

Whatever you do, do not see a doctor in a non-emergency situation without a referral from the school.

john_brown

Postby john_brown » Wed Aug 13, 2014 9:54 pm

How feasible is three 4.0 courses in one semester? I'm prepared to work but don't want to live in the library.
Last edited by john_brown on Wed Apr 01, 2015 2:49 am, edited 2 times in total.

mylifeis24

Postby mylifeis24 » Thu Aug 14, 2014 10:24 am

So I've received a bunch of notifications that my loans have been disbursed, and I have automatic direct deposit for refund turned on with Columbia- any idea when the money will actually appear in my bank account?

almondjoy

Postby almondjoy » Thu Aug 14, 2014 7:31 pm

mylifeis24 wrote:So I've received a bunch of notifications that my loans have been disbursed, and I have automatic direct deposit for refund turned on with Columbia- any idea when the money will actually appear in my bank account?

Wondering the same thing

ETA: post 100 woop

JVK

Postby JVK » Thu Aug 14, 2014 7:56 pm

starrydreamz3 wrote:Now that schedules are up, can anyone tell me what "Seat Reserved" means? Looks like I went over my credit limit so it stopped assigning classes. If I drop a few of my other classes, will I automatically get the class that has "seat reserved" noted?

Curious about this, too!

lunaraeon

Postby lunaraeon » Thu Aug 14, 2014 11:20 pm

JVK wrote:
starrydreamz3 wrote:Now that schedules are up, can anyone tell me what "Seat Reserved" means? Looks like I went over my credit limit so it stopped assigning classes. If I drop a few of my other classes, will I automatically get the class that has "seat reserved" noted?

Curious about this, too!

I'll email the registrar. Remind me if I forget to come back.

AdInfinitum

Postby AdInfinitum » Thu Aug 14, 2014 11:30 pm

Do we need to bring anything to orientation tomorrow? Or just kind of show up?

lunaraeon

Postby lunaraeon » Thu Aug 14, 2014 11:35 pm

AdInfinitum wrote:Do we need to bring anything to orientation tomorrow? Or just kind of show up?

Don't bring anything, you even get a backpack!

But bring a smile, I'm helping with the check-in table, haha.

txdude45

Postby txdude45 » Thu Aug 14, 2014 11:35 pm

AdInfinitum wrote:Do we need to bring anything to orientation tomorrow? Or just kind of show up?

Bring a good attitude. Don't bring a backpack; they're going to hand you one as you come in.

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”