Columbia students taking questions

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
scoobysnax

Re: Columbia 1L(s) taking questions

Postby scoobysnax » Mon Jul 28, 2014 10:08 am

banjo wrote:
scoobysnax wrote:
banjo wrote:You can take care of everything at one time. Just let UAH and the superintendent of your building know in advance so that everything is ready for you when you arrive.

Do you have a friend/spouse moving with you? If so, she can sit in the driver's seat while you stand. If you are coming alone, you might consider showing up at 11 am (the usual start time for street cleaning around Columbia) on Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, or Friday, waiting for all the cars on one side to move, finding a spot right in front of your building, and waiting until 12:30 for street cleaning to end. You then have that spot until the next street cleaning day. You should check the street cleaning schedule before you arrive though, just to make sure this plan will actually work.

Are there other options for overnight parking? My family is helping me move in and plan on staying the night before driving back home the next day.

Definitely. The law school is located on 116th Street between Amsterdam Avenue and Morningside Drive. I can usually find a spot along Morningside Drive. Sometimes I look for spots on the cross streets between Amsterdam and Morningside--116th, 118th, 120th, and so on. Street parking in NYC is usually free, but it's not for everyone--you have to be aware of street cleaning times, fire hydrants, driveways, bus stops, doctor spaces, crosswalks, metered areas, and other ridiculous restrictions. Thankfully, there are also parking garages around campus: http://www.columbia.edu/about_columbia/parking.html.

Thank you!!

scoobysnax

Postby scoobysnax » Mon Jul 28, 2014 10:18 am

Sorry for all the questions but I have a few more.

-Do UAH apartments come with microwaves?
-How strictly do they enforce the "80% of the unit needs to be covered by rug" rule? I'm pretty thrilled at the idea of hardwood because it's easier to clean.

Thanks so much in advance! I really appreciate all the responses I've been getting.

txdude45

Postby txdude45 » Mon Jul 28, 2014 10:24 am

scoobysnax wrote:Sorry for all the questions but I have a few more.

-How strictly do they enforce the "80% of the unit needs to be covered by rug" rule? I'm pretty thrilled at the idea of hardwood because it's easier to clean.

Thanks so much in advance! I really appreciate all the responses I've been getting.

I don't live in UAH, but I've been in a number of the units (bow chicka wow wow, except not even close). From what I've seen, microwaves are standard and the enforcement of the rug rule may not hit 0%, but it swiftly approaches that percentage.

ph5354a

Postby ph5354a » Mon Jul 28, 2014 11:00 am

txdude45 wrote:
scoobysnax wrote:Sorry for all the questions but I have a few more.

I don't live in UAH, but I've been in a number of the units (bow chicka wow wow, except not even close). From what I've seen, microwaves are standard and the enforcement of the rug rule may not hit 0%, but it swiftly approaches that percentage.

Assume that UAH enforces approximately 0% of the rules that it purports to have. The large dog that resides in my UAH apartment can attest to that fact.

toothbrush

Postby toothbrush » Mon Jul 28, 2014 11:23 am

do you think someone could live with you 100% of the time in uah and they wouldn't care ?

Tiago Splitter

Postby Tiago Splitter » Mon Jul 28, 2014 1:13 pm

toothbrush wrote:do you think someone could live with you 100% of the time in uah and they wouldn't care ?

I have four months of experience that says no they won't. Although making copies of the keys isn't all that easy.

mylifeis24

Postby mylifeis24 » Mon Jul 28, 2014 6:36 pm

Tiago Splitter wrote:
toothbrush wrote:do you think someone could live with you 100% of the time in uah and they wouldn't care ?

I have four months of experience that says no they won't. Although making copies of the keys isn't all that easy.

Those being the key words

Edit- No pun intended...kind of

milkandcheerios

Postby milkandcheerios » Mon Jul 28, 2014 7:47 pm

I have more housing questions to add:

Do unfurnished UAH units come with curtains/blinds on the windows?

Twin size or full size bed? I don't know how small my room is gonna be and I don't want to take up precious space with an overly large bed. I can sleep on a twin just fine but I feel like i've outgrown that stage of my life. I know this is going to come down to personal preference but I thought i'd hear some other opinions on the matter.

Thank guys 8)

buffalo_

Postby buffalo_ » Tue Jul 29, 2014 8:31 am

milkandcheerios wrote:I have more housing questions to add:

Do unfurnished UAH units come with curtains/blinds on the windows?

Twin size or full size bed? I don't know how small my room is gonna be and I don't want to take up precious space with an overly large bed. I can sleep on a twin just fine but I feel like i've outgrown that stage of my life. I know this is going to come down to personal preference but I thought i'd hear some other opinions on the matter.

Thank guys 8)

I called housing to ask for the square footage of my room and they were able to provide that.

moopness

Postby moopness » Tue Jul 29, 2014 11:28 pm

Are we gonna be able to start using the gym/DFC right after we move in or do we have to wait till after orientation?

starrydreamz3

Postby starrydreamz3 » Tue Jul 29, 2014 11:29 pm

moopness wrote:Are we gonna be able to start using the gym/DFC right after we move in or do we have to wait till after orientation?

You need a student ID to access the gym. I forget when they're handed out, but it's probably the first day of orientation.

moopness

Postby moopness » Tue Jul 29, 2014 11:36 pm

starrydreamz3 wrote:
moopness wrote:Are we gonna be able to start using the gym/DFC right after we move in or do we have to wait till after orientation?

You need a student ID to access the gym. I forget when they're handed out, but it's probably the first day of orientation.

That's what I thought/feared haha, thanks!

runthetrap

Postby runthetrap » Wed Jul 30, 2014 1:29 am

would renting casebooks / other books be inadvisable in some way? would i need them after the semester / graduation?

banjo

Postby banjo » Wed Jul 30, 2014 7:32 am

moopness wrote:
starrydreamz3 wrote:

If you need the ID now, you could try going to 204 Kent: http://idcenter.columbia.edu/obtaining-card. They might just give it to you.

moopness

Postby moopness » Wed Jul 30, 2014 7:07 pm

banjo wrote:
moopness wrote:
starrydreamz3 wrote:

If you need the ID now, you could try going to 204 Kent: http://idcenter.columbia.edu/obtaining-card. They might just give it to you.

Sweet, I'll def try this once I move in next week. Thank you!!

BigLaw_Lit

Postby BigLaw_Lit » Fri Aug 01, 2014 3:41 pm

Hey guys!

Incoming 1l - wondering if I should buy a printer? How much printing should I expect to do for school and how easy is it to print in Columbia libraries?

Thanks

txdude45

Postby txdude45 » Fri Aug 01, 2014 5:50 pm

BigLaw_Lit wrote:Hey guys!

Incoming 1l - wondering if I should buy a printer? How much printing should I expect to do for school and how easy is it to print in Columbia libraries?

Thanks

I think it's always good to have a printer at home for emergencies, but you'll get 6000pages/semester of free printing in the library.

tlsapp2017

Postby tlsapp2017 » Sat Aug 02, 2014 2:13 pm

txdude45 wrote:
BigLaw_Lit wrote:Hey guys!

Thanks

I think it's always good to have a printer at home for emergencies, but you'll get 6000pages/semester of free printing in the library.

That is soooooo many pages

jdapplicant

Postby jdapplicant » Sun Aug 03, 2014 2:19 pm

What's the schedule like for Legal Methods? One class per day M-F? How long is the class each day?

jdapplicant

Postby jdapplicant » Sun Aug 03, 2014 2:21 pm

Also, is it a huge deal if you're late for your housing move-in appointment? Would you just get pushed to a later appointment that day?

papercut

Postby papercut » Sun Aug 03, 2014 2:23 pm

jdapplicant wrote:Also, is it a huge deal if you're late for your housing move-in appointment? Would you just get pushed to a later appointment that day?

Not a big deal. They take care of whoever is in the waiting room all at the same time. I was in there with one other person who was about 1 hour late.

MCFC

Postby MCFC » Sun Aug 03, 2014 2:31 pm

jdapplicant wrote:What's the schedule like for Legal Methods? One class per day M-F? How long is the class each day?

Two classes per day. My class met for 1hr 50 min before lunch and then for another 1hr 40min in the late afternoon. But our section was on a different schedule (only two weeks of LM instead of three), so I would imagine your classes won't last as long.

banjo

Postby banjo » Sun Aug 03, 2014 5:11 pm

I agree with keeping a printer at home. It can get pretty crazy during finals time. Last year I printed an updated outline 30 minutes before going into the exam room and didn't realize that someone had accidentally taken the last five pages of my document (funnily enough, a section on Takings). Only noticed it during the exam. I'm pretty sure the stapler was also busted.

jbagelboy

Postby jbagelboy » Mon Aug 04, 2014 12:20 am

banjo wrote:I agree with keeping a printer at home. It can get pretty crazy during finals time. Last year I printed an updated outline 30 minutes before going into the exam room and didn't realize that someone had accidentally taken the last five pages of my document (funnily enough, a section on Takings). Only noticed it during the exam. I'm pretty sure the stapler was also busted.

The JG printer room was worse than Chernobyl by the end of the first finals week.

milkandcheerios

Postby milkandcheerios » Mon Aug 04, 2014 11:02 pm

Do most people go home over winterbreak?

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”