Columbia students taking questions

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
User avatar
smdpnp
Posts: 252
Joined: Fri Feb 22, 2013 10:49 pm

Re: Columbia 1L(s) taking questions

Postby smdpnp » Sat May 17, 2014 6:37 pm

piccolittle wrote:
smdpnp wrote:Anyone know where I can get a cheap air conditioner? I'm also looking for a cleaning service, if anybody has one to recommend.

Amazon or fellow students for the AC? I have two units I might be interested in selling.

Joanna's Cleaning Service (Yelp link) is $20 an hour, and they generally do a good job.

Thanks! That's a way better deal than the people charging fifty on craigslist right now.

lunaraeon
Posts: 186
Joined: Thu Nov 01, 2012 9:07 pm

Re: Columbia 1L(s) taking questions

Postby lunaraeon » Sat May 17, 2014 7:58 pm

jbagelboy wrote:
drevo wrote:So I guess my question is if any of you current Columbia law students know of good barbers around Columbia, or should I expect to do a little commuting. Silly question, I know, but I have to ask.


There's a place on Amsterdam between 105th and 106th (I think, maybe 104th) run by some eastern european and greek gentlemen who speak very little english. They charge $14 and they do a fine job. That's where I've been going since November.

+1 for Corniel's.

User avatar
iamgeorgebush
Posts: 851
Joined: Sat Oct 05, 2013 3:57 pm

Re: Columbia 1L(s) taking questions

Postby iamgeorgebush » Sun May 18, 2014 2:54 pm

iamgeorgebush wrote:anyone know some good (i.e., affordable) storage options around CLS?

User avatar
jbagelboy
Posts: 9635
Joined: Thu Nov 29, 2012 7:57 pm

Re: Columbia 1L(s) taking questions

Postby jbagelboy » Mon May 19, 2014 1:19 pm

Is there a due date for our spring grades?

Actually found it: June 16th, for anyone who's curious. Damn that's shitty.

User avatar
MCFC
Posts: 8506
Joined: Mon Oct 17, 2011 6:46 pm

Re: Columbia 1L(s) taking questions

Postby MCFC » Mon May 19, 2014 5:56 pm

jbagelboy wrote:Is there a due date for our spring grades?

Actually found it: June 16th, for anyone who's curious. Damn that's shitty.


Sure is. Though some of the language in the Journal packet indicated that they would make decisions by early July *permitting Professors had grades done*, so I actually kind of figured it would be later.

Which, I mean, it probably will be.

User avatar
runthetrap
Posts: 141
Joined: Thu Nov 07, 2013 11:49 pm

Re: Columbia 1L(s) taking questions

Postby runthetrap » Wed May 21, 2014 3:20 am

sorry if this question's been asked (and answered) previously, but does anyone know when we get our housing assignments? i know the deadline was like, five days ago, but i can't wait to find out where i'll be living!

User avatar
papercut
Posts: 1445
Joined: Sat Dec 01, 2012 6:48 pm

Re: Columbia 1L(s) taking questions

Postby papercut » Wed May 21, 2014 3:22 am

runthetrap wrote:sorry if this question's been asked (and answered) previously, but does anyone know when we get our housing assignments? i know the deadline was like, five days ago, but i can't wait to find out where i'll be living!


People were saying they came out about now last year, but this year a lot of things were different so who knows.

I'm really anxious to find out where I'll be too.

* I just realized I answered this in the 1L's thread. Sorry about that.

Theopliske8711
Posts: 2213
Joined: Mon Oct 01, 2012 10:21 am

Re: Columbia 1L(s) taking questions

Postby Theopliske8711 » Wed May 21, 2014 9:55 am

Just wondering, do different Ls mingle with each other?

User avatar
MCFC
Posts: 8506
Joined: Mon Oct 17, 2011 6:46 pm

Re: Columbia 1L(s) taking questions

Postby MCFC » Wed May 21, 2014 10:03 am

runthetrap wrote:sorry if this question's been asked (and answered) previously, but does anyone know when we get our housing assignments? i know the deadline was like, five days ago, but i can't wait to find out where i'll be living!


I checked my email from last year and I got my assignment on May 22, for whatever that's worth.

User avatar
runthetrap
Posts: 141
Joined: Thu Nov 07, 2013 11:49 pm

Re: Columbia 1L(s) taking questions

Postby runthetrap » Thu May 22, 2014 4:41 am

MCFC wrote:
runthetrap wrote:sorry if this question's been asked (and answered) previously, but does anyone know when we get our housing assignments? i know the deadline was like, five days ago, but i can't wait to find out where i'll be living!


I checked my email from last year and I got my assignment on May 22, for whatever that's worth.

hey, thanks. do you happen to remember if your housing application was due around may 15?

User avatar
MCFC
Posts: 8506
Joined: Mon Oct 17, 2011 6:46 pm

Re: Columbia 1L(s) taking questions

Postby MCFC » Thu May 22, 2014 7:27 am

runthetrap wrote:
MCFC wrote:
runthetrap wrote:sorry if this question's been asked (and answered) previously, but does anyone know when we get our housing assignments? i know the deadline was like, five days ago, but i can't wait to find out where i'll be living!


I checked my email from last year and I got my assignment on May 22, for whatever that's worth.

hey, thanks. do you happen to remember if your housing application was due around may 15?


Last year it was May 1st.

Michigan1442
Posts: 74
Joined: Sat Feb 09, 2013 2:50 pm

Re: Columbia 1L(s) taking questions

Postby Michigan1442 » Thu May 22, 2014 2:39 pm

Hello, I'm an incoming 1L..I just got my housing assignment, and am debating on whether or not I should accept...its a 1BR in Forest Chambers apartments, on W. 113th St and Broadway. Does anyone know anything about these by chance?

KingFish
Posts: 334
Joined: Sun Dec 02, 2012 7:34 pm

Re: Columbia 1L(s) taking questions

Postby KingFish » Thu May 22, 2014 5:17 pm

Michigan1442 wrote:Hello, I'm an incoming 1L..I just got my housing assignment, and am debating on whether or not I should accept...its a 1BR in Forest Chambers apartments, on W. 113th St and Broadway. Does anyone know anything about these by chance?

That's a pretty prime location. Halfway between the law school and the grocery store.

User avatar
icedflames
Posts: 375
Joined: Mon Mar 07, 2011 7:04 pm

Re: Columbia 1L(s) taking questions

Postby icedflames » Sat May 24, 2014 11:18 pm

Anyone know any good tailors around Columbia (or even in Manhattan)?
Need some work done on some dress pants and possibly suit jacket.

User avatar
PDX4343
Posts: 313
Joined: Sun Oct 27, 2013 11:59 pm

Re: Columbia 1L(s) taking questions

Postby PDX4343 » Sat May 24, 2014 11:21 pm

Did anybody in this thread get any need-based aid from Columbia? I don't think it's called 'EFC' in law school, but my 'EFC' would be $0, if that makes a difference.

Thanks!

User avatar
papercut
Posts: 1445
Joined: Sat Dec 01, 2012 6:48 pm

Re: Columbia 1L(s) taking questions

Postby papercut » Sun May 25, 2014 12:32 am

PDX4343 wrote:Did anybody in this thread get any need-based aid from Columbia? I don't think it's called 'EFC' in law school, but my 'EFC' would be $0, if that makes a difference.

Thanks!


Yeah I got some.

User avatar
girlmonster
Posts: 280
Joined: Tue May 18, 2010 10:46 pm

Re: Columbia 1L(s) taking questions

Postby girlmonster » Sun May 25, 2014 1:55 am

PDX4343 wrote:Did anybody in this thread get any need-based aid from Columbia? I don't think it's called 'EFC' in law school, but my 'EFC' would be $0, if that makes a difference.

Thanks!


I was ED and they still gave me $60k, and the only reason I can see for that is their consideration of my financial need.

User avatar
PDX4343
Posts: 313
Joined: Sun Oct 27, 2013 11:59 pm

Re: Columbia 1L(s) taking questions

Postby PDX4343 » Sun May 25, 2014 1:55 am

Awesome good to hear since I'm considering an ED.

User avatar
papercut
Posts: 1445
Joined: Sat Dec 01, 2012 6:48 pm

Re: Columbia 1L(s) taking questions

Postby papercut » Sun May 25, 2014 2:14 am

PDX4343 wrote:Awesome good to hear since I'm considering an ED.


Not sure what the actually numbers are, but a bunch of people were saying that this cycle they got more $ from CLS than NYU.

User avatar
PDX4343
Posts: 313
Joined: Sun Oct 27, 2013 11:59 pm

Re: Columbia 1L(s) taking questions

Postby PDX4343 » Sun May 25, 2014 4:34 am

The small sample size of applicants with numbers in my range on mylsn seems to support that. Which would be AMAZING if true.

User avatar
ChiefMango
Posts: 45
Joined: Tue Apr 15, 2014 3:17 pm

Re: Columbia 1L(s) taking questions

Postby ChiefMango » Tue May 27, 2014 9:13 pm

How easy is it to gain employment during your 1L summer for relatively prestigious public interest positions (DoJ for example)? Did a majority of 1Ls who looked for summer employment find something that they enjoyed? Does coming from Columbia Law School give you a distinct advantage in non-NYC job markets like DC? Is that advantage comparable to HYS?

User avatar
jbagelboy
Posts: 9635
Joined: Thu Nov 29, 2012 7:57 pm

Re: Columbia 1L(s) taking questions

Postby jbagelboy » Wed May 28, 2014 12:38 am

ChiefMango wrote:How easy is it to gain employment during your 1L summer for relatively prestigious public interest positions (DoJ for example)? Did a majority of 1Ls who looked for summer employment find something that they enjoyed? Does coming from Columbia Law School give you a distinct advantage in non-NYC job markets like DC? Is that advantage comparable to HYS?


DC is one market where I wouldn't say Columbia can match HYS in placement. Columbia dominates NY, does well in CA. I wouldn't say it could match Harvard in cache nationwide, but it places equally well in firms because New York is such a large market.

Plenty of people get DoJ, clerkships, different fed agencies for 1L summer. These positions are unpaid so they aren't so impossible. Most people I've spoken to enjoyed their summer work.

JVK
Posts: 102
Joined: Sat Apr 06, 2013 12:55 pm

Re: Columbia 1L(s) taking questions

Postby JVK » Wed May 28, 2014 1:01 am

jbagelboy wrote:
ChiefMango wrote:How easy is it to gain employment during your 1L summer for relatively prestigious public interest positions (DoJ for example)? Did a majority of 1Ls who looked for summer employment find something that they enjoyed? Does coming from Columbia Law School give you a distinct advantage in non-NYC job markets like DC? Is that advantage comparable to HYS?


DC is one market where I wouldn't say Columbia can match HYS in placement. Columbia dominates NY, does well in CA. I wouldn't say it could match Harvard in cache nationwide, but it places equally well in firms because New York is such a large market.

Plenty of people get DoJ, clerkships, different fed agencies for 1L summer. These positions are unpaid so they aren't so impossible. Most people I've spoken to enjoyed their summer work.


I think this advice is pretty spot-on!

I'm a 1L (or just finished it, anyway) who'll be working with the DOJ this summer, starting next Monday. I don't think there's anyone else from Columbia in my particular section, but I know two others doing white collar and immigration work, respectively. There're probably more, I just don't know everyone's summer job. There's also a solid number of people working with the SEC. Other "relatively prestigious public interest positions" I can think of students going to offhand include the USAO, CFTC, and Federal Defenders, plus DA and AG offices. Some are in government offices abroad (USTR).

Something nice that did happen this last year was enlarging the Guaranteed Summer Funding amount, as well as including judicial internships. I think it's certainly worth considering those internships if you're looking for some great writing experience and more general exposure, and Columbia has a pretty good number working in SDNY/EDNY, let alone other courts around the U.S.

You will get a summer job, even if it takes a while. Apply early if you can but accept that many places are on vastly different hiring schedules, and some may not send offers out until later. I think just about everyone's pretty happy with where they're headed.

As far as going from Columbia to DC for firm work, that's tough. I think JBagelboy's right, though I haven't been through OCI yet. I definitely do know a decent amount of upperclassmen who are going, but you have to keep in mind that it's a much smaller legal market (think NY firms having 100+ summer associates per class, with DC being less than a third of that) that still has highly desirable work. That means that top students from around the country'll still be trying to push into D.C., because they want to pursue practice areas can't quite be duplicated elsewhere, or not on the same level (like antitrust or some regulatory work, for starters). That obstacle applies to all schools, not just Columbia.

They definitely don't look down on you for trying to come to DC from NY, though.

User avatar
scoobysnax
Posts: 208
Joined: Fri Nov 15, 2013 3:51 pm

Re: Columbia 1L(s) taking questions

Postby scoobysnax » Wed May 28, 2014 12:49 pm

ChiefMango wrote:How easy is it to gain employment during your 1L summer for relatively prestigious public interest positions (DoJ for example)?


0L here, but I interned at DOJ the past two summers and met several Columbia students who were also there for the summer. I don't know how easy it was, but there definitely was a huge T-14 presence.

User avatar
jbagelboy
Posts: 9635
Joined: Thu Nov 29, 2012 7:57 pm

Re: Columbia 1L(s) taking questions

Postby jbagelboy » Wed May 28, 2014 4:34 pm

How much or little do you 2Ls/3Ls think LPW actually matters? I operated under basically a minimal effort theory, and unsurprisingly, scored P's both semesters. Do judges/employers care about this if your letter grades are otherwise up to par?




Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot] and 2 guests