Columbia students taking questions

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
banjo

Re: Columbia 1L(s) taking questions

Postby banjo » Fri May 02, 2014 12:30 pm

Theopliske8711 wrote:Anyone know if its possible to get a CLS school ID early? I'm going on a trip to Europe, and I'd like to have a student ID for any museum access, since some do offer discounts for that.

It's probably possible. Are you in NYC? Just call up or go to the ID center: http://idcenter.columbia.edu/.

CLS is pretty flexible. If you want to move in next week, check out a book from the massive library, and lie around campus all summer waiting for LM to start, you can probably find a way to do that.

Theopliske8711

Postby Theopliske8711 » Fri May 02, 2014 1:11 pm

Okay, yea, since I have my UNI I can just go ahead and put in a photo and everything. Great, thanks!

MyopicVisage

Postby MyopicVisage » Fri May 02, 2014 5:05 pm

Last edited by MyopicVisage on Fri Jun 27, 2014 2:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

tlsapp2017

Postby tlsapp2017 » Fri May 02, 2014 5:10 pm

MyopicVisage wrote:How cold does new york winter get? Need down jackets? Snow boots?...

Definitely to both of those things. It'll get down to the low 20's a lot during the winter.

drevo

Postby drevo » Fri May 02, 2014 5:12 pm

MyopicVisage wrote:How cold does new york winter get? Need down jackets? Snow boots?...

To add on to this, I was born and raised in the Bay Area, and have lived in San Diego for 4+ years, so suffices to say that I have never owned clothes to accommodate real winters. Does anyone have some ballpark figures on what it will cost me to prepare a decent winter wardrobe to survive the winters?

Tiago Splitter

Postby Tiago Splitter » Fri May 02, 2014 5:21 pm

drevo wrote:

To add on to this, I was born and raised in the Bay Area, and have lived in San Diego for 4+ years, so suffices to say that I have never owned clothes to accommodate real winters. Does anyone have some ballpark figures on what it will cost me to prepare a decent winter wardrobe to survive the winters?

As long as you have a good jacket you'll be fine. I came from Phoenix and didn't have any problems. You're just going to end up wearing jeans and sweatshirts a lot when it's cold, and everyone has those. Some winter boots/shoes would be nice but I'm coming out of my second winter here and have yet to actually buy any.

The worst part of the winter doesn't hit until second semester either so just try to snag warm clothes via Christmas presents and you'll be all set.
Last edited by Tiago Splitter on Fri May 02, 2014 5:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

buffalo_

Postby buffalo_ » Fri May 02, 2014 5:21 pm

0L, but I have lived in the area for the majority of my life so I feel qualified to answer.

If you are from New England or anywhere in New York or Pennsylvania, it's that weather.

It gets very cold in the winter, especially at night, and on top of that it will be windy. Snow boots would be really helpful to have. Last winter was especially bad, though the winter before you probably could have gotten away without snow boots. You could really use probably any kind of waterproof boot, doesn't have to be a "snow boot." Unless you already have a pair of water proof high-top hiking boots though, you should probably just buy snow boots. They will be cheaper. And it is usually much too cold to walk in the snow wearing rain boots.

Be extra sure to have a ski cap, gloves, and scarf. The wind will be seriously cold on your extremities.

buffalo_

Postby buffalo_ » Fri May 02, 2014 5:24 pm

drevo wrote:

I would put $100 aside for a nice warm jacket, just make sure you aren't buying a ski-shell without a warm lining. Hats, gloves and scarves can all be had relatively inexpensively. They sell them on the side of the road in midtown and chinatown all the time for a few bucks. Tiago is right. You can probably get away without boots (or at least wait and see if there is a lot of snow), but if there is snow outside just realize whatever shoes you are wearing will not stay clean.

drevo

Postby drevo » Fri May 02, 2014 5:25 pm

Last edited by drevo on Thu Jun 11, 2015 1:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

Theopliske8711

Postby Theopliske8711 » Fri May 02, 2014 5:42 pm

Definitely save a few hundred bucks for winter clothes. Sweaters and a solid winter coat, appropriate socks, a pair of boots

Kimikho

Postby Kimikho » Sat May 03, 2014 1:18 am

Is there a CLS-specific running club?

What do you like most about Columbia?

the_phoenix612

Postby the_phoenix612 » Sat May 03, 2014 2:12 am

scoobers wrote:Is there a CLS-specific running club?

Yes but I'm not part of it because I'm a lazy fuck.

What do you like most about Columbia?

Honestly? My classmates. We have some really, really cool people here that have done some sweet stuff before/during law school.

almondjoy

Postby almondjoy » Sat May 03, 2014 3:08 am

How close is the nearest target-type store where I can buy various knick-knacks like toiletries, notebooks, pens, towels, whatever?

bowser

Postby bowser » Sat May 03, 2014 3:11 am

almondjoy wrote:How close is the nearest target-type store where I can buy various knick-knacks like toiletries, notebooks, pens, towels, whatever?

there's no real supermarket type place in walking distance. You can make do with the bookstore and the drugstores nearby. I use Amazon heavily.

Some people take the bus to Trader Joe's; during orientation undergrad has shuttles running to Target. But lack of access to Wal-Mart type places is one of the drawbacks to being in the city (if you consider it a drawback; if you think Wal-Mart's the devil's work you'll be just fine).

almondjoy

Postby almondjoy » Sat May 03, 2014 3:27 am

bowser wrote:
almondjoy wrote:How close is the nearest target-type store where I can buy various knick-knacks like toiletries, notebooks, pens, towels, whatever?

there's no real supermarket type place in walking distance. You can make do with the bookstore and the drugstores nearby. I use Amazon heavily.

Some people take the bus to Trader Joe's; during orientation undergrad has shuttles running to Target. But lack of access to Wal-Mart type places is one of the drawbacks to being in the city (if you consider it a drawback; if you think Wal-Mart's the devil's work you'll be just fine).

hmm okay yeah this will be the first time I'm really living in the city so I guess I'll just have to get used to it :? thanks!

MyopicVisage

Postby MyopicVisage » Sat May 03, 2014 4:37 am

Last edited by MyopicVisage on Fri Jun 27, 2014 2:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

MCFC

Postby MCFC » Sat May 03, 2014 8:11 am

MyopicVisage wrote:
bowser wrote:

Is this the Trader Joe's near NYU? How long is the bus ride?

The nearest Trader Joe's is at 72nd Street. You can take the bus down and the subway back up to save 2.50 (you get a free transfer off the bus), but I honestly just take the subway both ways. About a 10 minute ride station to station.

As for Target, while everyone is correct that there's not one nearby, if you really need to go to a big box store, you can go take the train to Atlantic Avenue (about 40 minutes) or take the bus across town to East 116th Street (allegedly 25 minutes, I've had a few terrible bus experiences though).

Loubies

Postby Loubies » Sat May 03, 2014 10:08 pm

During the housing tour, a girl who was in a Lionsgate studio managed to get it unfurnished - any idea how she did that?

tkim129

Postby tkim129 » Sat May 03, 2014 11:50 pm

Couple friends and I were splitting a Costco card, which was efffing awesome. (I say "was" because my wife and I got our own card recently). I highly recommend you find some folks to do that with.

You can crosstown bus it down 116th and split one of their cabs stationed there with friends on the way back. (It's a flat-rate of 12 bucks + tip back to Morningside.)

You can't beat two trips a semester for all toiletries and other nonperishable necessities (e.g. a lifetime supply of protein bars).

MtnGinger

Postby MtnGinger » Sun May 04, 2014 12:40 am

Does anyone know how hard it is to find an apartment for 1L while living 10 hours away? I will have a dog so university housing is out but money is still an option. Is there any good way of going about finding "cheap" close housing that is pet friendly before I begin?

bowser

Postby bowser » Sun May 04, 2014 1:52 am

MtnGinger wrote:Does anyone know how hard it is to find an apartment for 1L while living 10 hours away? I will have a dog so university housing is out but money is still an option. Is there any good way of going about finding "cheap" close housing that is pet friendly before I begin?

people keep dogs in university housing. It's technically not allowed but I've seen a few.

almondjoy

Postby almondjoy » Sun May 04, 2014 11:50 am

bowser wrote:
MtnGinger wrote:Does anyone know how hard it is to find an apartment for 1L while living 10 hours away? I will have a dog so university housing is out but money is still an option. Is there any good way of going about finding "cheap" close housing that is pet friendly before I begin?

people keep dogs in university housing. It's technically not allowed but I've seen a few.

Yeah I stayed in university housing with a current student last weekend and I heard a dog barking down the hall.

papercut

Postby papercut » Sun May 04, 2014 12:45 pm

bowser wrote:

Elsewhere on TLS I saw that the unofficial policy is: if you live alone in an unfurnished apartment you can have a dog.

tkim129

Postby tkim129 » Sun May 04, 2014 1:45 pm

Saying from experience, Butler Hall allows for dogs.

MtnGinger

Postby MtnGinger » Sun May 04, 2014 2:07 pm

Thanks, I just didn't want to risk it and have to make other arrangements halfway through the year.

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”