Columbia students taking questions

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
Humbert Humbert

Re: Columbia 1L(s) taking questions

Postby Humbert Humbert » Wed Apr 30, 2014 11:56 am

JVK wrote:
Humbert Humbert wrote:I assume the answer is no but does the gym have a spinning class or anything like that?

I'm pretty sure it does! There are bikes, and there are classes you can sign up for... I think it costs a small fee but then you have access to a bunch. I haven't actually signed up for any or I'd give more info. There are also a lot of other group activities too though, like some of the martial arts groups or other student-run organizations you can join if you have the time. I see the Judo Club in there sometimes, for example.

On the pool, it doesn't cost extra at all but just be aware that it has funny hours. It's sometimes used by other groups and is closed to the majority of students during those blocks. I think the schedule's up on the gym website.

Thanks!

The 2014-15 budget sets aside $1560 for books. This seems...high, even assuming the high cost of legal textbooks. Is this figure reasonable or is it possible to pay less?

the_phoenix612

Postby the_phoenix612 » Wed Apr 30, 2014 12:13 pm

Humbert Humbert wrote:
JVK wrote:
Humbert Humbert wrote:I assume the answer is no but does the gym have a spinning class or anything like that?

I'm pretty sure it does! There are bikes, and there are classes you can sign up for... I think it costs a small fee but then you have access to a bunch. I haven't actually signed up for any or I'd give more info. There are also a lot of other group activities too though, like some of the martial arts groups or other student-run organizations you can join if you have the time. I see the Judo Club in there sometimes, for example.

On the pool, it doesn't cost extra at all but just be aware that it has funny hours. It's sometimes used by other groups and is closed to the majority of students during those blocks. I think the schedule's up on the gym website.

Thanks!

The 2014-15 budget sets aside $1560 for books. This seems...high, even assuming the high cost of legal textbooks. Is this figure reasonable or is it possible to pay less?

Rent (my favorite option), buy used, don't buy "recommended" books or supplements, and you can get by pretty cheap.

Theopliske8711

Postby Theopliske8711 » Wed Apr 30, 2014 12:22 pm

the_phoenix612 wrote:Rent (my favorite option), buy used, don't buy "recommended" books or supplements, and you can get by pretty cheap.

Is there a TCR system for renting? I feel like as a 1L I'm going to be getting the supplements for paranoia's sake, but I imagine only for maybe the first semester.

Humbert Humbert

Postby Humbert Humbert » Wed Apr 30, 2014 1:12 pm

Theopliske8711 wrote:
the_phoenix612 wrote:Rent (my favorite option), buy used, don't buy "recommended" books or supplements, and you can get by pretty cheap.

Is there a TCR system for renting? I feel like as a 1L I'm going to be getting the supplements for paranoia's sake, but I imagine only for maybe the first semester.

I used Chegg in undergrad. Not sure if CLS has some internal system, or if other websites are better for law school textbooks specifically.

Sgt Pepper

Postby Sgt Pepper » Wed Apr 30, 2014 2:13 pm

I buy used off Amazon and have paid about 1/3 of the cost. Some books will be wayyy cheaper, and some only marginally cheaper. Usually depends on how long the edition you need has been available.

AdInfinitum

Postby AdInfinitum » Wed Apr 30, 2014 4:18 pm

I'm looking to pay as little as possible for a shared apartment, and I've seen some people saying they go as low as $900. How do people indicate they're looking to get these on the application? I'm a K-JD, so I don't mind living in somewhere a little smaller.

Also, do people advise opting for UAH over law student housing?

Monochromatic Oeuvre

Postby Monochromatic Oeuvre » Wed Apr 30, 2014 4:55 pm

Humbert Humbert wrote:The 2014-15 budget sets aside $1560 for books. This seems...high, even assuming the high cost of legal textbooks. Is this figure reasonable or is it possible to pay less?

I scanned several books in the library and rented the rest off BookByte. I spent less than $100 on the year.

banjo

Postby banjo » Wed Apr 30, 2014 5:30 pm

AdInfinitum wrote:I'm looking to pay as little as possible for a shared apartment, and I've seen some people saying they go as low as $900. How do people indicate they're looking to get these on the application? I'm a K-JD, so I don't mind living in somewhere a little smaller.

I posted the UAH application link on the previous page or so.

I definitely recommend UAH. Not only was it <$1000 for a room in a 2br, but it can end up being much closer to the subway than Lenfest.

the_phoenix612

Postby the_phoenix612 » Wed Apr 30, 2014 7:52 pm

banjo wrote:
AdInfinitum wrote:I'm looking to pay as little as possible for a shared apartment, and I've seen some people saying they go as low as $900. How do people indicate they're looking to get these on the application? I'm a K-JD, so I don't mind living in somewhere a little smaller.

I definitely recommend UAH. Not only was it <$1000 for a room in a 2br, but it can end up being much closer to the subway than Lenfest.

Silver lining to Lenfest: You're so far from the 1 that the A/B/C/D is equally close! (I'm a bigger fan of taking the A/D downtown than the 1)

yarrow

Postby yarrow » Wed Apr 30, 2014 8:36 pm

How attractive are the guys?

moonman157

Postby moonman157 » Wed Apr 30, 2014 8:43 pm

yarrow wrote:How attractive are the guys?

I would say on the whole it is a surprisingly attractive group of people. Law students have a reputation for being horribly unattractive, so I came in with fairly low expectations of what everyone would look like, but I would say that the people here are really good looking.

jbagelboy

Postby jbagelboy » Wed Apr 30, 2014 8:45 pm

moonman157 wrote:

I would say on the whole it is a surprisingly attractive group of people. Law students have a reputation for being horribly unattractive, so I came in with fairly low expectations of what everyone would look like, but I would say that the people here are really good looking.

yea it's better than than you'd expect. I guess that could change year to year but it seems pretty consistent.

tlsapp2017

Postby tlsapp2017 » Wed Apr 30, 2014 8:51 pm

On the housing app, they make you put down a maximum rent number. Does anyone know what exactly this means? As in, if I put $1200 instead of $1000 because I can technically fit it into my budget, will they definitely give me a ~$1200 apt or will I still be able to get something cheaper?

AdInfinitum

Postby AdInfinitum » Wed Apr 30, 2014 9:05 pm

banjo wrote:

Ahh that's great. I assume we get our own room, even for that price? What's the distance from the law school itself like?

banjo

Postby banjo » Wed Apr 30, 2014 9:26 pm

AdInfinitum wrote:
banjo wrote:

Ahh that's great. I assume we get our own room, even for that price? What's the distance from the law school itself like?

Yep, you definitely get your own room. The units also tend to have a living room and kitchen space. UAH is scattered all over Morningside Heights, but they're all within walking distance (maybe 20 minutes max?)

AdInfinitum

Postby AdInfinitum » Wed Apr 30, 2014 11:02 pm

banjo wrote:
AdInfinitum wrote:
banjo wrote:

Yep, you definitely get your own room. The units also tend to have a living room and kitchen space. UAH is scattered all over Morningside Heights, but they're all within walking distance (maybe 20 minutes max?)

Just looked up the link you referred to - definitely seems like the option I'm going to go with. Shame they don't have pictures on the website, but I'm going to assume they're decent enough. Thanks for the info!

bowser

Postby bowser » Thu May 01, 2014 1:14 am

tlsapp2017 wrote:On the housing app, they make you put down a maximum rent number. Does anyone know what exactly this means? As in, if I put $1200 instead of $1000 because I can technically fit it into my budget, will they definitely give me a ~$1200 apt or will I still be able to get something cheaper?

Don't put 1200, please. You will not get something better for 1200; the pricing is random as hell. I think it's likely they'll give you the most expensive thing they can; that's what they did to me. If you're doing an apartment share put a low number. (I think a more expensive place may make it more likely you're super close to the school---like a 2 minute walk instead of a 6 minute walk---that's the only glint of rhyme or reason I see in the pricing).

I recommend unfurnished, with one caveat: if you end up wanting to transfer during or after 1L year (hate your roommates, wanna move in with friends), it would be significantly easier just switching out of a furnished room. But the unfurnished places are generally nicer than the furnished ones; like a 60% likelihood you end up with crappy dorm furniture you never use with a furnished apartment.

bowser

Postby bowser » Thu May 01, 2014 1:16 am

moonman157 wrote:

My class is better looking.

tlsapp2017

Postby tlsapp2017 » Thu May 01, 2014 1:20 am

bowser wrote:
tlsapp2017 wrote:On the housing app, they make you put down a maximum rent number. Does anyone know what exactly this means? As in, if I put $1200 instead of $1000 because I can technically fit it into my budget, will they definitely give me a ~$1200 apt or will I still be able to get something cheaper?

Don't put 1200, please. You will not get something better for 1200; the pricing is random as hell. I think it's likely they'll give you the most expensive thing they can; that's what they did to me. If you're doing an apartment share put a low number. (I think a more expensive place may make it more likely you're super close to the school---like a 2 minute walk instead of a 6 minute walk---that's the only glint of rhyme or reason I see in the pricing).

I recommend unfurnished, with one caveat: if you end up wanting to transfer during or after 1L year (hate your roommates, wanna move in with friends), it would be significantly easier just switching out of a furnished room. But the unfurnished places are generally nicer than the furnished ones; like a 60% likelihood you end up with crappy dorm furniture you never use with a furnished apartment.

Thanks! That's very good to know.

waferthinmint

Postby waferthinmint » Thu May 01, 2014 2:16 am

tlsapp2017 wrote:
bowser wrote:

Thanks! That's very good to know.

Is the different pricing also due to what floor of the building you get, perhaps? I know NYU was doing it that way -- higher up is more $$$. The New York way.

waferthinmint

Postby waferthinmint » Thu May 01, 2014 2:18 am

So what's the deal with the Columbia Club? Do people actually use it / get membership / go to things there? Is it just for way out alums?

milkandcheerios

Postby milkandcheerios » Thu May 01, 2014 3:26 am

bowser wrote:

The housing application forces you to put down a first choice and a second choice. Do they usually go by your first choice? Because it wouldn't let me put a duplicate response so I had to put $1200 as my second choice but I really don't want to pay that much money.

Monochromatic Oeuvre

Postby Monochromatic Oeuvre » Thu May 01, 2014 8:45 am

waferthinmint wrote:So what's the deal with the Columbia Club? Do people actually use it / get membership / go to things there? Is it just for way out alums?

Never heard of anyone being a member while still in school, and really, why would you? The main benefits of an alumni club are a quiet place to get coffee/dinner (you can have a quiet coffee anywhere, and are most likely not in a financial position for many nice dinners), a private library (you have that), a subsidized gym (you have that too) and the ability to isolate yourself with only other Columbia alums (you'll find that a detriment, not a benefit, at least while you're in school). There's not much value added while you're in school to pay several hundred bucks a year.

Postby 1278 » Thu May 01, 2014 10:09 am

nvm

Theopliske8711

Postby Theopliske8711 » Fri May 02, 2014 11:45 am

Anyone know if its possible to get a CLS school ID early? I'm going on a trip to Europe, and I'd like to have a student ID for any museum access, since some do offer discounts for that.

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”