Columbia students taking questions

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
banjo

Re: Columbia 1L(s) taking questions

Postby banjo » Mon Apr 28, 2014 1:40 am

Columbia University owns several units around the Morningside Heights neighborhood. Professional students are eligible to apply for these units, which tend to be cheaper than law school housing. Here's the site: http://facilities.columbia.edu/housing/ ... mmodations. Here's how you apply: http://facilities.columbia.edu/housing/how-apply.

There's a chance you might not even end up with another law student. Ph.D. students also apply for UAH, for example. It's a parallel housing system open to all graduate students, not just law students.

Humbert Humbert

Postby Humbert Humbert » Mon Apr 28, 2014 4:49 pm

Has the 2013 version of this doc come out yet?

https://web.law.columbia.edu/sites/defa ... s-2012.pdf

MCFC

Postby MCFC » Mon Apr 28, 2014 5:15 pm

Humbert Humbert wrote:Has the 2013 version of this doc come out yet?

https://web.law.columbia.edu/sites/defa ... s-2012.pdf

1Ls were given hard copies a few weeks ago. I don't believe it's online yet, or if it is I can't find it.

jbagelboy

Postby jbagelboy » Mon Apr 28, 2014 6:01 pm

Any particular firms you're interested in feel free to pm me for the 2013 numbers

FOM

Postby FOM » Mon Apr 28, 2014 6:22 pm

So how do some people get callbacks without an EIP interview? For example Bryan Cave Chicago had 0 bids and 0 EIP interviews but 1 callback?

MCFC

Postby MCFC » Mon Apr 28, 2014 7:18 pm

FOM wrote:So how do some people get callbacks without an EIP interview? For example Bryan Cave Chicago had 0 bids and 0 EIP interviews but 1 callback?

I imagine the initial screener was part of the 60 interviews listed for their NY office. We were told it varies firm to firm whether the firm does separate screeners for each office or not.

waferthinmint

Postby waferthinmint » Mon Apr 28, 2014 9:06 pm

edited:

Did any of you go to the Quinn Emanuel reception in March that they do in lieu of fall OCIs? I'd love to hear about that experience.

Also, do you know anyone at Columbia who did or will do an SA with Quinn Emanuel or is working for them out of school? I'm curious about the Quinn Emanuel presence at CLS and vice versa.
Last edited by waferthinmint on Mon Apr 28, 2014 9:11 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Tiago Splitter

Postby Tiago Splitter » Mon Apr 28, 2014 9:10 pm

waferthinmint wrote:Is there any Quinn Emanuel recruiting at Columbia? I've read about their unconventional approach to OCIs that they started testing out at 6 schools back in 2012. Wondering if they've reached NYC yet. If you know any upperclassmen who are doing SAs and/or post-school FT gigs with them, I'd love to hear what you know.

Yeah they recruit pretty heavily here, and yes they do the weird thing where they don't come to OCI and instead host some mixer for 1L's in the Spring.

waferthinmint

Postby waferthinmint » Mon Apr 28, 2014 9:12 pm

Tiago Splitter wrote:
waferthinmint wrote:Is there any Quinn Emanuel recruiting at Columbia? I've read about their unconventional approach to OCIs that they started testing out at 6 schools back in 2012. Wondering if they've reached NYC yet. If you know any upperclassmen who are doing SAs and/or post-school FT gigs with them, I'd love to hear what you know.

Yeah they recruit pretty heavily here, and yes they do the weird thing where they don't come to OCI and instead host some mixer for 1L's in the Spring.

Thanks for the response. I tweaked my question after doing a little more of teh Google.

bowser

Postby bowser » Mon Apr 28, 2014 9:29 pm

waferthinmint wrote:edited:

Did any of you go to the Quinn Emanuel reception in March that they do in lieu of fall OCIs? I'd love to hear about that experience.

Also, do you know anyone at Columbia who did or will do an SA with Quinn Emanuel or is working for them out of school? I'm curious about the Quinn Emanuel presence at CLS and vice versa.

I know of at least one, and several who got offers but are not going. I honestly don't think skipping OCI does Quinn any favors. I think they'd get more interest if they just did it like everyone else.

The few people who I know got offers there weren't anything like the Quinn stereotype (renegade, super-aggressive types). It's apparently a really great place to do litigation if you're for sure litigation and you want more exposure to trial work.

jbagelboy

Postby jbagelboy » Mon Apr 28, 2014 9:38 pm

I mean, I didn't go to the quinn event because it sounded like a miserable gunner mean girls paradise and I just had brunch at Harlem Tavern the week before. I prolly would have bid them at OCI though. Then again I doubt they're crying over me

moonman157

Postby moonman157 » Mon Apr 28, 2014 9:58 pm

I went, and it was better in a lot of ways and worse in some. I think I seriously overestimated how important it was to go and "make an impression." I thought that students would be super-gunnery in a social setting (clawing over each other to try to talk to all the partners and being super obnoxious). It wasn't that way at all (again, CLS students are not insufferable backstabbers, despite the rumors). So that was nice. But it really wasn't any different from any other firm reception event, so I didn't feel like I took a whole lot away at the end.

dc91

Postby dc91 » Mon Apr 28, 2014 10:23 pm

Possibly a question that only matters to me: how is the gym there? Do most people use the campus one or is it better to just get a membership elsewhere?

jbagelboy

Postby jbagelboy » Mon Apr 28, 2014 11:05 pm

moonman157 wrote:I went, and it was better in a lot of ways and worse in some. I think I seriously overestimated how important it was to go and "make an impression." I thought that students would be super-gunnery in a social setting (clawing over each other to try to talk to all the partners and being super obnoxious). It wasn't that way at all (again, CLS students are not insufferable backstabbers, despite the rumors). So that was nice. But it really wasn't any different from any other firm reception event, so I didn't feel like I took a whole lot away at the end.

This is all true; firm events are generally fun and people are very friendly.

Tiago Splitter

Postby Tiago Splitter » Mon Apr 28, 2014 11:11 pm

dc91 wrote:Possibly a question that only matters to me: how is the gym there? Do most people use the campus one or is it better to just get a membership elsewhere?

It's pretty bad but gyms off campus are really expensive. The main problem with our gym is that it tends to be pretty crowded during normal workout times and Monday-Thursday you'll often get kicked out by PE classes during the school day. But it has most of what you need if you're willing to go early in the morning and/or on the weekends or are just willing to be patient.

dc91

Postby dc91 » Mon Apr 28, 2014 11:28 pm

Tiago Splitter wrote:
dc91 wrote:Possibly a question that only matters to me: how is the gym there? Do most people use the campus one or is it better to just get a membership elsewhere?

It's pretty bad but gyms off campus are really expensive. The main problem with our gym is that it tends to be pretty crowded during normal workout times and Monday-Thursday you'll often get kicked out by PE classes during the school day. But it has most of what you need if you're willing to go early in the morning and/or on the weekends or are just willing to be patient.

could you define early and/or normal workout times and/or expensive (though I'm pretty sure I'll take "included in tuition" over most anything.

Tiago Splitter

Postby Tiago Splitter » Mon Apr 28, 2014 11:43 pm

dc91 wrote:
Tiago Splitter wrote:

could you define early and/or normal workout times and/or expensive (though I'm pretty sure I'll take "included in tuition" over most anything.

100-200+ a month.

Gym opens at 6am during the school week and if you go during those first couple of hours you'll have plenty of freedom to do what you need to do.

dc91

Postby dc91 » Tue Apr 29, 2014 12:11 am

Tiago Splitter wrote:
dc91 wrote:
Tiago Splitter wrote:

100-200+ a month.

Gym opens at 6am during the school week and if you go during those first couple of hours you'll have plenty of freedom to do what you need to do.

Thanks, I guess I better get back on that early morning grind.

moopness

Postby moopness » Tue Apr 29, 2014 1:47 am

Tiago Splitter wrote:
dc91 wrote:
Tiago Splitter wrote:

100-200+ a month.

Gym have basketball courts? Also are there tryouts for the Dean's Cup team?

bowser

Postby bowser » Tue Apr 29, 2014 1:54 am

moopness wrote:
Tiago Splitter wrote:Gym opens at 6am during the school week and if you go during those first couple of hours you'll have plenty of freedom to do what you need to do.

Yes; but only one and the schedule varies. Sometimes it's open soccer; sometimes badminton. I wish they had vball.

They have tryouts at the start of the year. There are some ballers here; several who played college ball, albeit far from D1 (besides a few Ivy players). We crushed this year :)

moopness

Postby moopness » Tue Apr 29, 2014 2:27 am

bowser wrote:
moopness wrote:
Tiago Splitter wrote:Gym opens at 6am during the school week and if you go during those first couple of hours you'll have plenty of freedom to do what you need to do.

Yes; but only one and the schedule varies. Sometimes it's open soccer; sometimes badminton. I wish they had vball.

They have tryouts at the start of the year. There are some ballers here; several who played college ball, albeit far from D1 (besides a few Ivy players). We crushed this year :)

Sweet! Would love to help get that repeat next year :D

waferthinmint

Postby waferthinmint » Tue Apr 29, 2014 3:55 pm

jbagelboy wrote:
moonman157 wrote:I went, and it was better in a lot of ways and worse in some. I think I seriously overestimated how important it was to go and "make an impression." I thought that students would be super-gunnery in a social setting (clawing over each other to try to talk to all the partners and being super obnoxious). It wasn't that way at all (again, CLS students are not insufferable backstabbers, despite the rumors). So that was nice. But it really wasn't any different from any other firm reception event, so I didn't feel like I took a whole lot away at the end.

This is all true; firm events are generally fun and people are very friendly.

This is good to hear. Thanks for the helpful responses, jbage, moonman and bowser!

francesfarmer

Postby francesfarmer » Tue Apr 29, 2014 4:05 pm

Does anyone use the gym pool? Does it cost extra?

Humbert Humbert

Postby Humbert Humbert » Tue Apr 29, 2014 4:34 pm

I assume the answer is no but does the gym have a spinning class or anything like that?

JVK

Postby JVK » Tue Apr 29, 2014 6:05 pm

Humbert Humbert wrote:I assume the answer is no but does the gym have a spinning class or anything like that?

I'm pretty sure it does! There are bikes, and there are classes you can sign up for... I think it costs a small fee but then you have access to a bunch. I haven't actually signed up for any or I'd give more info. There are also a lot of other group activities too though, like some of the martial arts groups or other student-run organizations you can join if you have the time. I see the Judo Club in there sometimes, for example.

On the pool, it doesn't cost extra at all but just be aware that it has funny hours. It's sometimes used by other groups and is closed to the majority of students during those blocks. I think the schedule's up on the gym website.

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”