Columbia students taking questions

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
waferthinmint

Re: Columbia 1L(s) taking questions

Postby waferthinmint » Tue Apr 22, 2014 5:24 pm

After you apply for housing, does Columbia get back to you with a couple different options according to your preferences, or are you just assigned something?

smaug_

Postby smaug_ » Tue Apr 22, 2014 5:38 pm

waferthinmint wrote:After you apply for housing, does Columbia get back to you with a couple different options according to your preferences, or are you just assigned something?

Just assigned something.

FOM

Postby FOM » Tue Apr 22, 2014 6:51 pm

Is Columbia's first seat deposit binding? Did any of you put down multiple deposits? I haven't received my aid decision yet and Cornell's deposit is on Friday :?

a.sleepyhead

Postby a.sleepyhead » Tue Apr 22, 2014 9:00 pm

FOM wrote:Is Columbia's first seat deposit binding? Did any of you put down multiple deposits? I haven't received my aid decision yet and Cornell's deposit is on Friday :?

I think a number of people ITT have passed on NYU and UVA $$ while waiting to hear back about fin aid from Columbia. And you're not allowed to multiple-deposit with Columbia.

Monochromatic Oeuvre

Postby Monochromatic Oeuvre » Tue Apr 22, 2014 9:09 pm

FOM wrote:Is Columbia's first seat deposit binding? Did any of you put down multiple deposits? I haven't received my aid decision yet and Cornell's deposit is on Friday :?

Not sure what you mean by a "binding" deposit. It's pretty basic--you pay it and you get it back if you attend.

I put down two deposits at UVA before going here. If you're worried about $500 affecting your decision, you're getting your jimmies rustled over relatively small potatoes.

FOM

Postby FOM » Tue Apr 22, 2014 9:50 pm

Monochromatic Oeuvre wrote:

Not sure what you mean by a "binding" deposit. It's pretty basic--you pay it and you get it back if you attend.

I put down two deposits at UVA before going here. If you're worried about $500 affecting your decision, you're getting your jimmies rustled over relatively small potatoes.

No, that's not what I mean. I've heard that Columbia does not allow multiple deposits and that they can revoke your offer if you deposit at another school

starrydreamz3

Postby starrydreamz3 » Tue Apr 22, 2014 10:05 pm

tlsapp2017 wrote:
Tiago Splitter wrote:
waferthinmint wrote:Housing question!

Do students in campus housing have to move out every summer and get assigned to a new place, or once you have your UAH or law student apartment do you get to stay in the same one until you choose otherwise? Also, are they 9-month leases or 12-month leases?

I ask because I'm wondering whether to go furnished or unfurnished. Unfurnished probably means I could get new, non-dormy furniture of my own choosing for a better deal. BUT furnished appeals because if I won't be in NY for a summer and I am supposed to move all my stuff out because it's a 9-month lease and/or housing reshuffles yearly, I want to be able to leave with just my laptop and the shirt on my back, and not have to bother with moving and storing my furniture somewhere. It really hinges on whether I can keep my same apartment or whether they make you reshuffle yearly like a dorm.

Thanks!

They're 12 month leases, and once you're in you can stick around for all three years.

So does that mean that it would potentially be possible to move in as a 0L in June/July, or does the 12 month lease start in August?

I believe I moved in July 16th. I think you can ask to move in as early as first week of July, of course you'll pay a month more in rent.

banjo

Postby banjo » Tue Apr 22, 2014 10:41 pm

You can move into UAH as early as May--maybe even earlier if your current lease is expiring soon.

beepboopbeep

Postby beepboopbeep » Tue Apr 22, 2014 10:52 pm

I know no one's asked this, but I did want to add that if you ask for your UAH housing deposit back because you're not attending, they WILL refund that. Which is really nice because it's like what, $1000?

Doorkeeper

Postby Doorkeeper » Tue Apr 22, 2014 10:56 pm

arez wrote:Can anyone speak to how Elizabeth Emens is as a professor and/or what her Employment Discrimination class is like? Thanks in advance!

I'd also love any input regarding Emens.

Thanks Columbia folks!

dclawgal

Postby dclawgal » Tue Apr 22, 2014 11:16 pm

FOM wrote:

No, that's not what I mean. I've heard that Columbia does not allow multiple deposits and that they can revoke your offer if you deposit at another school

I actually called the admissions office and asked about this. You can deposit at another school and still go to Columbia, as long as you give up your seat at that first school before accepting Columbia's. AKA, you can't be enrolled in two schools at once, but if you deposit at a school before depositing at Columbia they will not revoke your offer. I've already sent money to one school right now, but I might tell them I am no longer attending and deposit at Columbia instead at the end of this week - I'm waiting on a couple of things I should know about in the next few days, but my scholarship deadline at school A was super early...

Obviously that can end up costing a lot of extra money, but for me it was worth it to pay $500 to have another week or so for things to come together without being worried about losing my scholarship at school A.

jbagelboy

Postby jbagelboy » Tue Apr 22, 2014 11:29 pm

re: double depositing at CLS, I personally wouldn't remain deposited at another school concurrently - not a great way to start a career founded on professional integrity - but last cycle at least no one could check until after May 15 via ABA, so I'm pretty sure unless by some slight of fate the adcom's traded stories about you surreptitiously no one would know.

Oh and one cool thing about the CLS deposit, it counts against your tuition payment for first semester, so you don't ever really lose the money. I thought it was sunk and I was pleasantly surprised. Not all schools have this policy.

Monochromatic Oeuvre

Postby Monochromatic Oeuvre » Tue Apr 22, 2014 11:37 pm

FOM wrote:

IIRC most schools don't allow multiple deposits, but of course they can only revoke your offer for depositing at another school if you have already deposited at Columbia. So yes, only put the deposit down at your current best option.

MyopicVisage

Postby MyopicVisage » Wed Apr 23, 2014 3:25 pm

Last edited by MyopicVisage on Thu Jun 26, 2014 8:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

drevo

Postby drevo » Wed Apr 23, 2014 3:34 pm

MyopicVisage wrote:For those of you who were able to get in touch with Juliana, did you reach her via phone or email? I called her office a couple times but no one was around and she has not responded to my email.

0L here, but I emailed her and got a response 11 days later. So it may take a while for an email response.

MyopicVisage

Postby MyopicVisage » Wed Apr 23, 2014 5:24 pm

Last edited by MyopicVisage on Fri Jun 27, 2014 2:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

tlsapp2017

Postby tlsapp2017 » Wed Apr 23, 2014 7:00 pm

Any current students have thoughts on the new dean appointment? (obviously you don't know her since she's coming from Berkeley, but maybe general thoughts?)

KingFish

Postby KingFish » Wed Apr 23, 2014 10:05 pm

tlsapp2017 wrote:Any current students have thoughts on the new dean appointment? (obviously you don't know her since she's coming from Berkeley, but maybe general thoughts?)

One of the other candidates is a conlaw professor here, so at least the students who know her are disappointed. She got the teaching award this year, is a vice dean, has taught at Columbia since 2001, graduated from CLS, and clerked for RBG. It's tough to see how the person they picked is more qualified to lead this school than Gillian Metzger.

girlmonster

Postby girlmonster » Thu Apr 24, 2014 6:02 am

jbagelboy wrote:
girlmonster wrote:I believe it was established earlier ITT that Columbia's estimated COL is unrealistically low. For those of you who blew past the estimated amount, how did you fund the discrepancy? Are the only resources parents, savings, and private loans? 'Cause I don't have any of those going for me unfortunately. Thanks!

Removing personal expenses that the average person might not bear (I had to buy a new suit & laptop during the course of the semester which may or may not happen to you), I actually will have cut under the estimated budget this year. My yearly total should come to just over $77,000 composed of grants, savings (mostly from selling my car in Augu I don't think I live particularly modestly or extravagantly either. I think the school budget was $82,500 for the year.

If you live in a $2,600/month Lionsgate 1BDR, take cabs every time you leave morning side, order fresh direct every week for groceries and go to puerto rico for spring break, then yes, you'll blow the budget.

Thanks for the reply! I've never lived extravagantly, but I am going to have additional expenses (need a computer, suit, bed and other furniture, can't live in a share because of my dog). My rent alone seems like it will blow over their projected COL, even in UAH, which is why I was asking. It's good to hear it's not impossible, though!

Humbert Humbert

Postby Humbert Humbert » Thu Apr 24, 2014 11:55 am

How much (if any) of SA $ do folks typically save and put towards tuition/loans? Just trying to get a realistic sense of whether or not that can put a dent in the overall debt.

the_phoenix612

Postby the_phoenix612 » Thu Apr 24, 2014 4:56 pm

Humbert Humbert wrote:How much (if any) of SA $ do folks typically save and put towards tuition/loans? Just trying to get a realistic sense of whether or not that can put a dent in the overall debt.

I had about 15K after an 8 week SA that I was able to save, and a couple grand above that I kept in my money market acct just in case loans ran out or something.

scoobysnax

Postby scoobysnax » Thu Apr 24, 2014 11:54 pm

This might sound kind of silly but what are females expected to wear for EIW/business formal/etc.? I've read a lot on TLS about how men should be wearing certain suits from certain stores, etc. but what about women?

StructuresAndForces

Postby StructuresAndForces » Fri Apr 25, 2014 9:17 am

I have heard that Columbia students can take one NYU law class during their three years. Is this true? Have any of you done this? Thanks!

smaug_

Postby smaug_ » Fri Apr 25, 2014 9:25 am

StructuresAndForces wrote:I have heard that Columbia students can take one NYU law class during their three years. Is this true? Have any of you done this? Thanks!

I've heard about this, but I don't know anyone who has done it. (Same with them coming up here.) I think the issue is that for most fields there are good enough professors at each school.

Also, after 1L people don't really care about classes.

The more common (but odd) thing is that people take classes at the undergrad. I know people who have done languages, comp sci and music stuff.

Theopliske8711

Postby Theopliske8711 » Fri Apr 25, 2014 9:38 am

What's the rule on taking business school courses? I'd like to eventually take some during perhaps 2L or 3L.

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”