Columbia students taking questions

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
chasgoose

Re: Columbia 1L(s) taking questions

Postby chasgoose » Wed Apr 04, 2012 12:32 am

TheRedMamba wrote:
piccolittle wrote:
lameslice57 wrote:Do any of you know how well Columbia places into DC? I'm from the South, so I would love to eventually end up back in DC or the South.

I know a bunch of people going to DC this summer for 1L jobs (mostly reg. agencies etc), so from what I've seen, Columbia does well against the traditional DC schools. This summer, I would say the biggest concentrations of students will be in NY, DC, and the SF bay area (yay!). In terms of firm jobs, people have seemed to have big success in their southern home markets, so I think you should have a lot of options anywhere you have ties. That said, I've heard DC is a tough nut to crack, so to be safe it might be a good option to look into working there 1L summer in order to solidify your ties for EIP.

Good to hear SF represented, I really hope SF BigLaw is a viable option for me

If you have ties to SF then yes. If you don't, probably not.

Guchster

Postby Guchster » Wed Apr 04, 2012 12:53 am

lameslice57 wrote:Do any of you know how well Columbia places into DC? I'm from the South, so I would love to eventually end up back in DC or the South.

I'm from the South, and with ties, you have your selection of big law (as long as you're in top 80% lol of the class and a decent interviewer)

TheRedMamba

Postby TheRedMamba » Wed Apr 04, 2012 2:46 am

chasgoose wrote:
TheRedMamba wrote:
piccolittle wrote:

I know a bunch of people going to DC this summer for 1L jobs (mostly reg. agencies etc), so from what I've seen, Columbia does well against the traditional DC schools. This summer, I would say the biggest concentrations of students will be in NY, DC, and the SF bay area (yay!). In terms of firm jobs, people have seemed to have big success in their southern home markets, so I think you should have a lot of options anywhere you have ties. That said, I've heard DC is a tough nut to crack, so to be safe it might be a good option to look into working there 1L summer in order to solidify your ties for EIP.

Good to hear SF represented, I really hope SF BigLaw is a viable option for me

If you have ties to SF then yes. If you don't, probably not.

Born and raised 15 minutes south of SF, family lives/works in SF. Went to undergrad in socal though, would you say that qualifies?

Guchster

Postby Guchster » Wed Apr 04, 2012 12:28 pm

TheRedMamba wrote:
Born and raised 15 minutes south of SF, family lives/works in SF. Went to undergrad in socal though, would you say that qualifies?

yup :)

piccolittle

Postby piccolittle » Wed Apr 04, 2012 8:38 pm

Guchster wrote:
TheRedMamba wrote:

Also, even if you don't have ties, making ties during your 1L summer can help. Additionally, there are people with general West-coast ties (think Seattle, LA) who are in SF this summer.

Guchster

Postby Guchster » Wed Apr 04, 2012 11:25 pm

piccolittle wrote:
Guchster wrote:
TheRedMamba wrote:

Also, even if you don't have ties, making ties during your 1L summer can help. Additionally, there are people with general West-coast ties (think Seattle, LA) who are in SF this summer.

O hai ^_^

echamberlin8

Postby echamberlin8 » Thu Apr 05, 2012 5:12 pm

I don't really have a question to ask you guys, but I just wanted everyone to know that hopefully I will be attending there in a year and a half for fall 2013! Columbia is basically my dream law school (I don't think my 3.73 undergrad GPA can get me in any higher schools). Additionally, my dad went to grad school there. I really want to work in NYC after graduation, so Columbia (and NYU, barring that) are my obvious top choices).

I'm currently studying for the LSAT, which can be somewhat hard to juggle, since I also work as a paralegal for a big law firm here in DC, which often requires a lot of hours. Not sure if I'm going to take the LSAT in June or just wait until the October one. I suppose if I don't have a high enough score on practice tests by the beginning of May (170+), I'll wait until October. I got a 155 on my initial diagnostic, so obviously I have a long way to go.

Anyways, I hope to keep in contact with you guys and maybe eventually visit Columbia Law!

What are your guys' overall impressions on Columbia? How does everyone feel it stacks up against NYU?

Guchster

Postby Guchster » Fri Apr 06, 2012 2:44 pm

echamberlin8 wrote:I don't really have a question to ask you guys, but I just wanted everyone to know that hopefully I will be attending there in a year and a half for fall 2013! Columbia is basically my dream law school (I don't think my 3.73 undergrad GPA can get me in any higher schools). Additionally, my dad went to grad school there. I really want to work in NYC after graduation, so Columbia (and NYU, barring that) are my obvious top choices).

I'm currently studying for the LSAT, which can be somewhat hard to juggle, since I also work as a paralegal for a big law firm here in DC, which often requires a lot of hours. Not sure if I'm going to take the LSAT in June or just wait until the October one. I suppose if I don't have a high enough score on practice tests by the beginning of May (170+), I'll wait until October. I got a 155 on my initial diagnostic, so obviously I have a long way to go.

Anyways, I hope to keep in contact with you guys and maybe eventually visit Columbia Law!

What are your guys' overall impressions on Columbia? How does everyone feel it stacks up against NYU?

I actually really like it here. I love being in NYC, and I enjoy our faculty and law school. My classmates are really nice, helpful, and friendly--and brilliant and interesting individuals (piccolittle and I have all our classes together this semester! but i never see her :( )

IMO: NYU = CLS. People who want to talk about location just make excuses. I know tons of people that go to NYU that live up here in MH or Harlem and plenty of people that live in the village that go to CLS. The only difference is that CLS is in a bubble and enclosed space. NYU is sprawled throughout the village. But a common misconception is that if you go to school at one, you must live near one. NYC public transportation is seriously kick ass and reliable.

I stand firm in my belief that whatever you do after law school is exactly what you'd be doing had you gone to the other. Same opportunities, same type of students, same fucking law school.

snehpets

Postby snehpets » Fri Apr 06, 2012 2:51 pm

Guchster, would you consider larger scholarship at one to be a good reason to pick one over the other? I'm assuming yes, based on what you said.

(I have a week to pick and am super anxious about making the wrong choice bc I'm a ridiculous 0L)

Guchster

Postby Guchster » Fri Apr 06, 2012 2:58 pm

snehpets wrote:GuchsterGooch, would you consider larger scholarship at one to be a good reason to pick one over the other? I'm assuming yes, based on what you said.

(I have a week to pick and am super anxious about making the wrong choice bc I'm a ridiculous 0L)

don't panic, you'll be fine in the mid/long term no matter what you decide to do at nyu/cls.

Anywhere in the T6, I'd say go where da money is at. They're all the same effing school. I think the scholarship question requires more balancing when money is from outside the T6. Things are comfortable again within for jerb prospects; not so true even in the mid to lower T14.

But it looks like you have a CLS/NYU differential in monies. Negotiate or GTFO and pick the cheapz.

snehpets

Postby snehpets » Fri Apr 06, 2012 3:00 pm

Guchster wrote:
snehpets wrote:GuchsterGooch, would you consider larger scholarship at one to be a good reason to pick one over the other? I'm assuming yes, based on what you said.

don't panic, you'll be fine in the mid/long term no matter what you decide to do at nyu/cls.

Anywhere in the T6, I'd say go where da money is at. They're all the same effing school. I think the scholarship question requires more balancing when money is from outside the T6. Things are comfortable again within for jerb prospects; not so true even in the mid to lower T14.

But it looks like you have a CLS/NYU differential in monies. Negotiate or GTFO and pick the cheapz.

Yeah I sent CLS my 50k from NYU and they only gave me 25k. Since their tuition is higher too I'll prob go to NYU. Thanks for the advice, it's reassuring that they're all pretty much the same.

Guchster

Postby Guchster » Fri Apr 06, 2012 3:02 pm

yah you'll be fine either way. I don't think CLS is worth 25k moar.

soj

Postby soj » Fri Apr 06, 2012 3:12 pm

Gooch is the best! :mrgreen:

Guchster

Postby Guchster » Fri Apr 06, 2012 3:15 pm

soj wrote:Gooch is the best! :mrgreen:

poor soj had to hear me give this advice 20 million times, but is still so nice :mrgreen:

echamberlin8

Postby echamberlin8 » Fri Apr 06, 2012 3:24 pm

Guchster wrote:
echamberlin8 wrote:I don't really have a question to ask you guys, but I just wanted everyone to know that hopefully I will be attending there in a year and a half for fall 2013! Columbia is basically my dream law school (I don't think my 3.73 undergrad GPA can get me in any higher schools). Additionally, my dad went to grad school there. I really want to work in NYC after graduation, so Columbia (and NYU, barring that) are my obvious top choices).

I actually really like it here. I love being in NYC, and I enjoy our faculty and law school. My classmates are really nice, helpful, and friendly--and brilliant and interesting individuals (piccolittle and I have all our classes together this semester! but i never see her :( )

IMO: NYU = CLS. People who want to talk about location just make excuses. I know tons of people that go to NYU that live up here in MH or Harlem and plenty of people that live in the village that go to CLS. The only difference is that CLS is in a bubble and enclosed space. NYU is sprawled throughout the village. But a common misconception is that if you go to school at one, you must live near one. NYC public transportation is seriously kick ass and reliable.

I stand firm in my belief that whatever you do after law school is exactly what you'd be doing had you gone to the other. Same opportunities, same type of students, same fucking law school.

Thanks for the words of wisdom! I'm totally jealous that you're in at Columbia.

By the way, Gooch, which do you think you'd take: a substantial ($75,000K+) scholarship at Cornell, or sticker at CLS/NYU? Just out of curiosity.

Bronck

Postby Bronck » Sun Apr 08, 2012 8:05 pm

This may have already been answered, I only did a quick skim of the first few pages...

But, when does Columbia get back to you with your housing assignments? Late May? Early June?

Guchster

Postby Guchster » Sun Apr 08, 2012 8:13 pm

Bronck wrote:This may have already been answered, I only did a quick skim of the first few pages...

But, when does Columbia get back to you with your housing assignments? Late May? Early June?

IIRC end of mayish.

likemike

Postby likemike » Mon Apr 09, 2012 3:46 pm

What is the relationship like with professors? Some other schools tout how close you can get with theirs and how important this is. Thoughts?

Thanks

camelcrema

Postby camelcrema » Mon Apr 09, 2012 5:43 pm

likemike wrote:What is the relationship like with professors? Some other schools tout how close you can get with theirs and how important this is. Thoughts?

Thanks

I guess it depends on what you mean by "relationship."

1L sections are pretty big (95ish), except for one class during first semester, which is limited to 45 or so. In that sense, having your professor remember your name is unlikely unless you're a gunner who incessantly raises his/her hand to the point at which the professor doesn't even have to check the seating chart to identify that hand.

In terms of getting face time with professors, it is not a problem. They all have office hours, and are often willing to schedule an extra meeting if you're having trouble with something in particular. I know numerous people who have gone to get drinks with their professors (usually in a small group to avoid awks). Professors get lunch budgets every semester, so a lot of people will also get lunch with their favorite profs.

One caveat is that office hours can get somewhat overbearing, especially toward the end of the semester, when a dozen people all show up at once with questions about the various meanings of "privileges and immunities." Some professors will limit the amount of people who can be in the office at a time by having a sign-up sheet, but those tend to fill up pretty fast. Gunners gonna gun.

WhiteGuy5

Postby WhiteGuy5 » Mon Apr 09, 2012 7:16 pm

Anyone have any idea what's going on with the Holds this year?

Guchster

Postby Guchster » Mon Apr 09, 2012 10:17 pm

WhiteGuy5 wrote:Anyone have any idea what's going on with the Holds this year?

lawl students have absolutely no idea what goes in the admissions office ever.

caffeinegirl47

Postby caffeinegirl47 » Tue Apr 10, 2012 6:29 pm

I currently live on the UWS in the high 80s. I love my current setup. Is it worth moving into university housing/other closer housing? Thanks!

Guchster

Postby Guchster » Tue Apr 10, 2012 11:07 pm

caffeinegirl47 wrote:I currently live on the UWS in the high 80s. I love my current setup. Is it worth moving into university housing/other closer housing? Thanks!

i love the UWS so much, i would not move an inch unless I had to. You might want to enter the lottery to see if you get lucky and like your housing/get a better deal.

Otherwise, I personally would stay where you're at. I'm looking to move into the 70s/80s this summer.

Kring345

Postby Kring345 » Fri Apr 13, 2012 2:49 pm

My girlfriend is planning to come to NYC with me, but she cannot until winter. This fall, she wants to visit. Based on what people have said, the 3-4 week Legal Reasoning course before the 'real' classes start is a cake walk. I dont want her to visit when Im doing homework, taking classes, trying to do well, etc. Would the first 3 weeks or so Im at CLS be a good time for her to visit? How busy will most students usually be? Im okay with having to study/work a bit, I just dont want to be consumed.

Guchster

Postby Guchster » Fri Apr 13, 2012 2:56 pm

Kring345 wrote:My girlfriend is planning to come to NYC with me, but she cannot until winter. This fall, she wants to visit. Based on what people have said, the 3-4 week Legal Reasoning course before the 'real' classes start is a cake walk. I dont want her to visit when Im doing homework, taking classes, trying to do well, etc. Would the first 3 weeks or so Im at CLS be a good time for her to visit? How busy will most students usually be? Im okay with having to study/work a bit, I just dont want to be consumed.

you don't have to start to panic until about a month before finals. I did pretty well first semester, and I always took 1 whole day off and 1 whole evening off until a month before my first final exam.

I'm a little hesitant to encourage her to visit during legal methods, because that's when people tend to be super social and you start to make friends and connections with NYC and different people. While it may be more comfortable to transition into nyc and cls with your girlfriend visiting, i'm not sure you'd really spread your social wings as much as you'd like to. it may be a good exercise for you to lay down your roots during that time.

but, if you don't have a problem sacrificing some new connections, i don't see a problem with her coming to visit during that time, or really anytime before the last few weeks leading up to finals.

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”