Columbia students taking questions

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
User avatar
Gary
Posts: 338
Joined: Wed May 22, 2013 8:47 pm

Re: Columbia 1L(s) taking questions

Postby Gary » Thu Apr 17, 2014 3:46 pm

If we want to room with someone who's not a student at Columbia, we have to find housing on our own correct?

eta: not like an SO or family, but like friends from UG who are also in the city

lunaraeon
Posts: 186
Joined: Thu Nov 01, 2012 9:07 pm

Re: Columbia 1L(s) taking questions

Postby lunaraeon » Fri Apr 18, 2014 7:14 pm

Gary wrote:If we want to room with someone who's not a student at Columbia, we have to find housing on our own correct?

eta: not like an SO or family, but like friends from UG who are also in the city

Yeah.

User avatar
girlmonster
Posts: 280
Joined: Tue May 18, 2010 10:46 pm

Re: Columbia 1L(s) taking questions

Postby girlmonster » Sat Apr 19, 2014 4:33 pm

I believe it was established earlier ITT that Columbia's estimated COL is unrealistically low. For those of you who blew past the estimated amount, how did you fund the discrepancy? Are the only resources parents, savings, and private loans? 'Cause I don't have any of those going for me unfortunately. Thanks!

User avatar
jbagelboy
Posts: 9651
Joined: Thu Nov 29, 2012 7:57 pm

Re: Columbia 1L(s) taking questions

Postby jbagelboy » Sat Apr 19, 2014 5:42 pm

girlmonster wrote:I believe it was established earlier ITT that Columbia's estimated COL is unrealistically low. For those of you who blew past the estimated amount, how did you fund the discrepancy? Are the only resources parents, savings, and private loans? 'Cause I don't have any of those going for me unfortunately. Thanks!


Removing personal expenses that the average person might not bear (I had to buy a new suit & laptop during the course of the semester which may or may not happen to you), I actually will have cut under the estimated budget this year. My yearly total should come to just over $77,000 composed of grants, savings (mostly from selling my car in August), and loans. I don't think I live particularly modestly or extravagantly either. I think the school budget was $82,500 for the year.

If you live in a $2,600/month Lionsgate 1BDR, take cabs every time you leave morning side, order fresh direct every week for groceries and go to puerto rico for spring break, then yes, you'll blow the budget.

User avatar
MyopicVisage
Posts: 45
Joined: Thu Apr 10, 2014 3:46 pm

Re: Columbia 1L(s) taking questions

Postby MyopicVisage » Sat Apr 19, 2014 11:43 pm

.
Last edited by MyopicVisage on Fri Jun 27, 2014 2:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
MyopicVisage
Posts: 45
Joined: Thu Apr 10, 2014 3:46 pm

Re: Columbia 1L(s) taking questions

Postby MyopicVisage » Sat Apr 19, 2014 11:46 pm

.
Last edited by MyopicVisage on Fri Jun 27, 2014 2:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

Theopliske8711
Posts: 2213
Joined: Mon Oct 01, 2012 10:21 am

Re: Columbia 1L(s) taking questions

Postby Theopliske8711 » Sat Apr 19, 2014 11:50 pm

Morningside heights seems pretty quiet in general.

KingFish
Posts: 334
Joined: Sun Dec 02, 2012 7:34 pm

Re: Columbia 1L(s) taking questions

Postby KingFish » Sun Apr 20, 2014 12:29 am

MyopicVisage wrote:Hey guys, I have a couple questions about the three law school only housing: 420 West 116th St, Lenfest and Lionsgate.
In apartment share, do you have to share the bathroom?

Yes
MyopicVisage wrote:If unfurnished, does it still come with AC/heating, dishwasher, microwave, or oven? Does any of these apartments have AC/heating, dishwasher, microwave, or oven?

Yes heating, microwave. No AC, dishwasher, oven (you have to use the fireplace).
MyopicVisage wrote:if furnished, can I ask someone to take away the bed and use my own bed instead? Is a queen size too big for the studio?

I think they can put it in the basement for you.

KingFish
Posts: 334
Joined: Sun Dec 02, 2012 7:34 pm

Re: Columbia 1L(s) taking questions

Postby KingFish » Sun Apr 20, 2014 12:31 am

MyopicVisage wrote:One more: is any of the three in a relatively quiet neighborhood?

They're all in the same neighborhood.

User avatar
MyopicVisage
Posts: 45
Joined: Thu Apr 10, 2014 3:46 pm

Re: Columbia 1L(s) taking questions

Postby MyopicVisage » Sun Apr 20, 2014 1:39 am

.
Last edited by MyopicVisage on Fri Jun 27, 2014 2:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
jbagelboy
Posts: 9651
Joined: Thu Nov 29, 2012 7:57 pm

Re: Columbia 1L(s) taking questions

Postby jbagelboy » Sun Apr 20, 2014 2:17 am

KingFish wrote:
MyopicVisage wrote:If unfurnished, does it still come with AC/heating, dishwasher, microwave, or oven? Does any of these apartments have AC/heating, dishwasher, microwave, or oven?

Yes heating, microwave. No AC, dishwasher, oven (you have to use the fireplace).

lol. :D

User avatar
Balthy
Posts: 668
Joined: Sat Apr 03, 2010 12:28 pm

Re: Columbia 1L(s) taking questions

Postby Balthy » Sun Apr 20, 2014 2:18 am

Does anyone know how many classes you're allowed to take at the B school?

User avatar
MyopicVisage
Posts: 45
Joined: Thu Apr 10, 2014 3:46 pm

Re: Columbia 1L(s) taking questions

Postby MyopicVisage » Sun Apr 20, 2014 2:27 am

.
Last edited by MyopicVisage on Fri Jun 27, 2014 2:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
iamgeorgebush
Posts: 852
Joined: Sat Oct 05, 2013 3:57 pm

Re: Columbia 1L(s) taking questions

Postby iamgeorgebush » Sun Apr 20, 2014 4:19 pm

Any opinions on Jane Ginsberg? Yeah, she's RBG's daughter, but is she actually an engaging prof? I've heard that she's an incredibly dry lecturer.

User avatar
Sgt Pepper
Posts: 68
Joined: Sat Jun 08, 2013 4:30 pm

Re: Columbia 1L(s) taking questions

Postby Sgt Pepper » Sun Apr 20, 2014 4:29 pm

iamgeorgebush wrote:Any opinions on Jane Ginsberg? Yeah, she's RBG's daughter, but is she actually an engaging prof? I've heard that she's an incredibly dry lecturer.


I had her for legal methods and found her to be quite boring

User avatar
iamgeorgebush
Posts: 852
Joined: Sat Oct 05, 2013 3:57 pm

Re: Columbia 1L(s) taking questions

Postby iamgeorgebush » Sun Apr 20, 2014 6:02 pm

Sgt Pepper wrote:
iamgeorgebush wrote:Any opinions on Jane Ginsberg? Yeah, she's RBG's daughter, but is she actually an engaging prof? I've heard that she's an incredibly dry lecturer.


I had her for legal methods and found her to be quite boring

Thanks. That's what I've heard.

Any opinions on Tim Wu? He's obviously a renowned scholar, but what about as a prof? Also, is it common for him not to teach much? I only see him teaching two courses this semester, and he is one among two profs for both of those courses.

User avatar
smaug_
Posts: 2195
Joined: Mon Oct 17, 2011 5:06 pm

Re: Columbia 1L(s) taking questions

Postby smaug_ » Sun Apr 20, 2014 6:10 pm

iamgeorgebush wrote:Any opinions on Tim Wu? He's obviously a renowned scholar, but what about as a prof? Also, is it common for him not to teach much? I only see him teaching two courses this semester, and he is one among two profs for both of those courses.

Teaching two classes in one semester is a comparatively heavy load. (Also, I don't think anyone is doing Antitrust with him?)

He's OK as a teacher. He's definitely engaging and interesting, but he's not the most on top of what he wants to cover.

I don't really get the point of these questions. Polling on the quality of a few professors is pointless. You're probably going to dislike your classes no matter where you go. If you're the type who LOVES THE LAW you'll probably find someone to hero-worship no matter where you go.

User avatar
jbagelboy
Posts: 9651
Joined: Thu Nov 29, 2012 7:57 pm

Re: Columbia 1L(s) taking questions

Postby jbagelboy » Sun Apr 20, 2014 6:14 pm

iamgeorgebush wrote:
Sgt Pepper wrote:
iamgeorgebush wrote:Any opinions on Jane Ginsberg? Yeah, she's RBG's daughter, but is she actually an engaging prof? I've heard that she's an incredibly dry lecturer.


I had her for legal methods and found her to be quite boring

Thanks. That's what I've heard.

Any opinions on Tim Wu? He's obviously a renowned scholar, but what about as a prof? Also, is it common for him not to teach much? I only see him teaching two courses this semester, and he is one among two profs for both of those courses.


I've only heard good things about Tim Wu.

I also had Ginsburg for legal methods. She wasn't the most exciting professor and she's a bit awkward in person (although very friendly when not cringe-worthy), but she's clearly brilliant, very articulate, and "dryness" aside, I feel better off having sat through a few weeks of her speaking at me. Not the worst professor I've had at CLS, FWIW.

ETA: also re: what smaug said, yea.. no matter how much you love your prof, after a certain point, fuck class.

User avatar
iamgeorgebush
Posts: 852
Joined: Sat Oct 05, 2013 3:57 pm

Re: Columbia 1L(s) taking questions

Postby iamgeorgebush » Sun Apr 20, 2014 6:20 pm

smaug wrote:
iamgeorgebush wrote:Any opinions on Tim Wu? He's obviously a renowned scholar, but what about as a prof? Also, is it common for him not to teach much? I only see him teaching two courses this semester, and he is one among two profs for both of those courses.

Teaching two classes in one semester is a comparatively heavy load. (Also, I don't think anyone is doing Antitrust with him?)

He's OK as a teacher. He's definitely engaging and interesting, but he's not the most on top of what he wants to cover.

I don't really get the point of these questions. Polling on the quality of a few professors is pointless. You're probably going to dislike your classes no matter where you go. If you're the type who LOVES THE LAW you'll probably find someone to hero-worship no matter where you go.

The point of these questions is to collect information that can help me decide between NYU and CLS. Given my interest in soft IP, I don't think the quality of the professors in that area is irrelevant to my decision. Looking back to undergrad, the quality of my profs had a material impact on my performance in those classes, and granted that law school is graded on a curve, I see little reason to believe that this trend wouldn't continue in law school. Plus, I think I'd just be happier/get more out of law school having better profs! That has got to count for something, right?

User avatar
smaug_
Posts: 2195
Joined: Mon Oct 17, 2011 5:06 pm

Re: Columbia 1L(s) taking questions

Postby smaug_ » Sun Apr 20, 2014 6:30 pm

iamgeorgebush wrote:The point of these questions is to collect information that can help me decide between NYU and CLS. Given my interest in soft IP, I don't think the quality of the professors in that area is irrelevant to my decision. Looking back to undergrad, the quality of my profs had a material impact on my performance in those classes, and granted that law school is graded on a curve, I see little reason to believe that this trend wouldn't continue in law school. Plus, I think I'd just be happier/get more out of law school having better profs! That has got to count for something, right?


…what?

User avatar
jbagelboy
Posts: 9651
Joined: Thu Nov 29, 2012 7:57 pm

Re: Columbia 1L(s) taking questions

Postby jbagelboy » Sun Apr 20, 2014 6:36 pm

smaug wrote:
iamgeorgebush wrote:The point of these questions is to collect information that can help me decide between NYU and CLS. Given my interest in soft IP, I don't think the quality of the professors in that area is irrelevant to my decision. Looking back to undergrad, the quality of my profs had a material impact on my performance in those classes, and granted that law school is graded on a curve, I see little reason to believe that this trend wouldn't continue in law school. Plus, I think I'd just be happier/get more out of law school having better profs! That has got to count for something, right?


…what?


Everyone in the class has the same profs, so it follows that everyone would receive equal "material" benefit, and thus the curve would remain unaffected.

Moreover, there are terrific profs at both schools in intellectual property. I haven't taken Ginsburg's copyright or trademarks classes, but they are probably good if you are interested in that material. I will say that she has a pretty specific philosophy wrt digital media that many don't happen to share... but I have no dog in that fight.

User avatar
iamgeorgebush
Posts: 852
Joined: Sat Oct 05, 2013 3:57 pm

Re: Columbia 1L(s) taking questions

Postby iamgeorgebush » Sun Apr 20, 2014 7:26 pm

jdbagelboy: Thanks for your comments. You're right that for performance in one class, you'd expect everyone to be equally affected by the quality of the professor, since it's graded on a curve. My thinking was more that having a high quality prof in one class might make me a happier, more engaged student in general, thus affecting my performance in other classes. A bit of a stretch perhaps, but perhaps not.

Anyway, my real reasons for preferring goods profs aren't really related to getting good grades. I imagine most people don't get to take anything with Wu or Ginsburg until 2L or 3L anyway, and at which point grades are less important. I'm more concerned with having good profs for the sake of my learning and possibly for the sake of recommendations, should I choose to pursue a clerkship. Judging from undergrad, my engagement with a prof might affect my ability to get a good recommendation from him/her.

Or is this all just small beans, considering that NYU is looking to be about $65k cheaper than CLS?

User avatar
jbagelboy
Posts: 9651
Joined: Thu Nov 29, 2012 7:57 pm

Re: Columbia 1L(s) taking questions

Postby jbagelboy » Sun Apr 20, 2014 7:46 pm

iamgeorgebush wrote:jdbagelboy: Thanks for your comments. You're right that for performance in one class, you'd expect everyone to be equally affected by the quality of the professor, since it's graded on a curve. My thinking was more that having a high quality prof in one class might make me a happier, more engaged student in general, thus affecting my performance in other classes. A bit of a stretch perhaps, but perhaps not.

Anyway, my real reasons for preferring goods profs aren't really related to getting good grades. I imagine most people don't get to take anything with Wu or Ginsburg until 2L or 3L anyway, and at which point grades are less important. I'm more concerned with having good profs for the sake of my learning and possibly for the sake of recommendations, should I choose to pursue a clerkship. Judging from undergrad, my engagement with a prof might affect my ability to get a good recommendation from him/her.


I don't know, I found student-professor contact to be pretty different than it was in college. Most are friendly with some glaring exceptions, but definitely less accessible and less involved in the day to day happiness/future of individual students. Maybe this comes with the territory of 90+ person classes and 1L year; I went to a small private college where my average class size was ~12 and I knew most of my professors very well and vise versa, maybe there are more similarities with large undergraduate universities and law school classes.

Maybe some 2L's could comment on their experience getting closer to specific professors as RA's or through the note-writing process. I know it happens, but I'm not there yet (and since I don't really care about clerking I'm not sure I'll ever be).

iamgeorgebush wrote:Or is this all just small beans, considering that NYU is looking to be about $65k cheaper than CLS?


I think most people would tell you to take NYU over CLS if you would incur sixty thousand more debt at CLS. I would have gone to NYU at that cost difference.

User avatar
iamgeorgebush
Posts: 852
Joined: Sat Oct 05, 2013 3:57 pm

Re: Columbia 1L(s) taking questions

Postby iamgeorgebush » Sun Apr 20, 2014 8:38 pm

Cool, thanks for all your thoughts, jdbagelboy. I think I'm going to choose NYU b/c of the cost difference. Alas, CLS would've been nice, but who am I to throw away that $$!

User avatar
MyopicVisage
Posts: 45
Joined: Thu Apr 10, 2014 3:46 pm

Re: Columbia 1L(s) taking questions

Postby MyopicVisage » Sun Apr 20, 2014 10:34 pm

.
Last edited by MyopicVisage on Fri Jun 27, 2014 2:14 am, edited 1 time in total.




Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests