Columbia students taking questions

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
lawschool22

Re: Columbia 1L(s) taking questions

Postby lawschool22 » Fri Jan 31, 2014 1:30 pm

Can you comment on your sense of Columbia's success at placing in top DC firms? It's hard to parse from the data, because I imagine the low percentages are primarily a result of self-selection to NYC. If you have any sense of how well people who are targeting DC end up doing, that would be great.

Thanks!

Banosby

Postby Banosby » Fri Jan 31, 2014 3:31 pm

I'm a 2L who had (I think) slightly below-median grades going into OCI and ended up with a V15 offer in D.C. (which I only mention as a point of reference; I know vault means even less in D.C. than it does in NY). I know a number of other people who ended up in D.C. as well. Its certainly a lot more difficult than NY, but we put people there. I don't get the impression we do any worse at putting people there than the D.C. schools if that's why you're asking.

lawschool22

Postby lawschool22 » Fri Jan 31, 2014 3:38 pm

Banosby wrote:I'm a 2L who had (I think) slightly below-median grades going into OCI and ended up with a V15 offer in D.C. (which I only mention as a point of reference; I know vault means even less in D.C. than it does in NY). I know a number of other people who ended up in D.C. as well. Its certainly a lot more difficult than NY, but we put people there. I don't get the impression we do any worse at putting people there than the D.C. schools if that's why you're asking.

Yeah, I'm primarily comparing to schools like Duke, UVA, GULC, which send a ton of people to DC, but I don't know how much of that is just self-selection. Because if 100 people want DC from Duke, and 60 get it, that's worse than if 20 want it from CLS and 14 get it, even if the raw number is lower. I'm trying to determine where my percentage odds are better, which is hard to do because that type of data just isn't available publicly. OCS might have it, but they don't share it w/ potential students.

Tiago Splitter

Postby Tiago Splitter » Fri Jan 31, 2014 3:45 pm

I don't know much about DC hiring, but you can see from the EIP results that DC firms tend to be pretty underbid, and a lot of them come to EIP. So you should be able to get a lot of interviews and still use your primary bids on safer NYC options. This also suggests the interest in DC isn't terribly high, although that could be a sort of chicken-and-egg thing with people not being interested because they think the grade requirements are too high.

https://web.law.columbia.edu/sites/defa ... s-2012.pdf

lawschool22

Postby lawschool22 » Fri Jan 31, 2014 3:48 pm

Tiago Splitter wrote:I don't know much about DC hiring, but you can see from the EIP results that DC firms tend to be pretty underbid, and a lot of them come to EIP. So you should be able to get a lot of interviews and still use your primary bids on safer NYC options. This also suggests the interest in DC isn't terribly high, although that could be a sort of chicken-and-egg thing with people not being interested because they think the grade requirements are too high.

That is great info - thanks for sharing. Is this sort of information publicly available for all schools?

Tiago Splitter

Postby Tiago Splitter » Fri Jan 31, 2014 3:53 pm

lawschool22 wrote:
Tiago Splitter wrote:I don't know much about DC hiring, but you can see from the EIP results that DC firms tend to be pretty underbid, and a lot of them come to EIP. So you should be able to get a lot of interviews and still use your primary bids on safer NYC options. This also suggests the interest in DC isn't terribly high, although that could be a sort of chicken-and-egg thing with people not being interested because they think the grade requirements are too high.

That is great info - thanks for sharing. Is this sort of information publicly available for all schools?

I doubt it. I also have 2011:

http://www.law.columbia.edu/null/downlo ... _id=611272

The 2013 numbers should be out in April sometime.

lawschool22

Postby lawschool22 » Fri Jan 31, 2014 4:04 pm

Thank you very much!

I went ahead and put this into Excel with some useful calculations. It's actually pretty interesting. Would be very useful if I somehow got a hold of this data from my other choices and compared.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B1AHcFNmNuAwVldTcTRQUnZ3dWc/edit?usp=sharing

MCFC

Postby MCFC » Fri Jan 31, 2014 6:42 pm

smaug wrote:
starrydreamz3 wrote:Oh ok. Well I guess we take what we can get. Is there a lot of hand-holding through the EIP process? Meaning lots of boxed lunches come spring with OCS? Please say yes. I love those little chocolate squares they give us.

There isn't much handholding from OCS. There are definitely more box lunch events coming up, but I think some of the mandatory ones were pizza. The free lunches all kinda blur together eventually.

ETA: some of the firm events provide good food and good booze, though. They're your free meal winners for the term. Just expect that you'll be too busy to go to all of them.

So, dumb question: if the dress code for these lunch events isn't listed, safe to assume it's formal?

smaug_

Postby smaug_ » Fri Jan 31, 2014 6:48 pm

You'd probably feel overdressed if you came in business formal for one of the lunches. I'd aim for business casual.

starrydreamz3

Postby starrydreamz3 » Fri Jan 31, 2014 7:04 pm

smaug wrote:You'd probably feel overdressed if you came in business formal for one of the lunches. I'd aim for business casual.

So pretty much we should wear slacks and dress shirts for the next 3 weeks straight?

MCFC

Postby MCFC » Fri Jan 31, 2014 7:26 pm

smaug wrote:You'd probably feel overdressed if you came in business formal for one of the lunches. I'd aim for business casual.

Got it, thanks. I noticed a few firms explicitly said business casual, but wasn't sure about the other ones.

smaug_

Postby smaug_ » Fri Jan 31, 2014 7:27 pm

starrydreamz3 wrote:

So pretty much we should wear slacks and dress shirts for the next 3 weeks straight?

I wouldn't go to all of the lunches. They're OK and there's better food, but they're more exhausting than plopping down and listening to the crazy-dude-of-the-week that Fed Soc rolled in.

t14splitter

Postby t14splitter » Sat Feb 01, 2014 12:54 am

Thanks everyone for taking questions.

Let me give you all my situation: I've been accepted at NYU and Columbia, but my fiancee has only been accepted at NYU Med School. I've read through the vast majority of this thread and I am completely unfamiliar with NYC. All I know is that the two schools are ~125 blocks apart. I am interested in federal clerkships and big law.

First, how long/difficult is the commute from NYU to Columbia? Is there any reasonably priced housing in between or would we pretty much live near one of the two campuses?

Next, assuming that the COA at the two schools are the same, do you think that the slightly better reputation/slightly better employment numbers are worth attending Columbia over NYU for, given my commute?

I really am looking for any insight whatsoever into my situation. Thanks!

starrydreamz3

Postby starrydreamz3 » Sat Feb 01, 2014 1:04 am

t14splitter wrote:Thanks everyone for taking questions.

Let me give you all my situation: I've been accepted at NYU and Columbia, but my fiancee has only been accepted at NYU Med School. I've read through the vast majority of this thread and I am completely unfamiliar with NYC. All I know is that the two schools are ~125 blocks apart. I am interested in federal clerkships and big law.

First, how long/difficult is the commute from NYU to Columbia? Is there any reasonably priced housing in between or would we pretty much live near one of the two campuses?

Next, assuming that the COA at the two schools are the same, do you think that the slightly better reputation/slightly better employment numbers are worth attending Columbia over NYU for, given my commute?

I really am looking for any insight whatsoever into my situation. Thanks!

Housing prices around Columbia/Morningside Heights are much cheaper than living in the village. It's also has more of a neighborhood feel, whereas NYU has a lot more options for bars and restaurants. I would suggest trying to get into Columbia's couples housing. The two of you could live together for under 2k/month. I'm not sure if she'd be up for the 25-30min commute, but its probably the best option financially.

Also, I made the choice between Columbia and NYU and for me, it just felt like a more collegiate environment here. And I knew I wanted to go NYC BigLaw and I just felt like Columbia is a bit of a machine when it comes to that. Though I hear NYU is just as good.

banjo

Postby banjo » Sat Feb 01, 2014 1:24 am

t14splitter wrote:First, how long/difficult is the commute from NYU to Columbia? Is there any reasonably priced housing in between or would we pretty much live near one of the two campuses?

The medical school is on first avenue. It's a pretty inconvenient commute to Morningside Heights. And trust me, you'll have to come to the school a lot. Can you guys stay near Columbia for your first year and then move downtown for your 2L and 3L years? That would really be the best option.

smaug_

Postby smaug_ » Sat Feb 01, 2014 1:34 am

The commute would be annoying but not too bad. About 30 minutes each way I think. You could probably find housing somewhere in between but it might be cheaper to live near one of the two campuses. I'm not great at NYC housing stuff, but I know some of my friends who live a bit south of the school say you can find some cheaper good housing before you get into the fancy part of the UWS.

In terms of jobs, I think we're probably pretty fungible. There might be a difference. There might not be. I'd wait to see what type of financial aid package you get and I'd definitely visit both schools if possible.

I think the culture differences between the schools are overblown, but there are differences. In general, I don't think people at CLS (students or staff) do much of a hard sell. There are some awesome things here. There are some awesome things at NYU. Which is better will depend on what you're looking for. I think even the favorite truisms on TLS (e.g. go to NYU for PI; go to CLS for biglaw) are not entirely accurate. There are areas where each school is strong, depending on the faculty. It'll also be interesting to see how CLS changes with a new dean in the coming years. (We obviously love NYU's current dean as he was a beloved professor here.)

Sorry that I don't have any cut-and-dried advice to give you. Visit the schools. Talk to admissions. Talk to students. I'm sure you'll be able to decide after you look into it further.

t14splitter

Postby t14splitter » Sat Feb 01, 2014 2:20 am

Thanks for all of your responses!

banjo wrote: The medical school is on first avenue. It's a pretty inconvenient commute to Morningside Heights. And trust me, you'll have to come to the school a lot. Can you guys stay near Columbia for your first year and then move downtown for your 2L and 3L years? That would really be the best option.

I think that this would be a good option for me to bring up.

starrydreamz3 wrote: Housing prices around Columbia/Morningside Heights are much cheaper than living in the village. It's also has more of a neighborhood feel, whereas NYU has a lot more options for bars and restaurants. I would suggest trying to get into Columbia's couples housing. The two of you could live together for under 2k/month. I'm not sure if she'd be up for the 25-30min commute, but its probably the best option financially.

Also, I made the choice between Columbia and NYU and for me, it just felt like a more collegiate environment here. And I knew I wanted to go NYC BigLaw and I just felt like Columbia is a bit of a machine when it comes to that. Though I hear NYU is just as good.

Couples housing may be difficult for us to get since we won't be married yet and have not lived together.

smaug wrote:The commute would be annoying but not too bad. About 30 minutes each way I think. You could probably find housing somewhere in between but it might be cheaper to live near one of the two campuses. I'm not great at NYC housing stuff, but I know some of my friends who live a bit south of the school say you can find some cheaper good housing before you get into the fancy part of the UWS.

In terms of jobs, I think we're probably pretty fungible. There might be a difference. There might not be. I'd wait to see what type of financial aid package you get and I'd definitely visit both schools if possible.

I think the culture differences between the schools are overblown, but there are differences. In general, I don't think people at CLS (students or staff) do much of a hard sell. There are some awesome things here. There are some awesome things at NYU. Which is better will depend on what you're looking for. I think even the favorite truisms on TLS (e.g. go to NYU for PI; go to CLS for biglaw) are not entirely accurate. There are areas where each school is strong, depending on the faculty. It'll also be interesting to see how CLS changes with a new dean in the coming years. (We obviously love NYU's current dean as he was a beloved professor here.)

Sorry that I don't have any cut-and-dried advice to give you. Visit the schools. Talk to admissions. Talk to students. I'm sure you'll be able to decide after you look into it further.

I appreciate all of your honesty and advice. I will be visiting for the admitted student days so hopefully that (along with scholarship offers) with give me a bit more clarity. Anything in particular that you guys think I should check out for my visit?

jbagelboy

Postby jbagelboy » Sat Feb 01, 2014 2:42 am

t14splitter wrote:Thanks for all of your responses!

banjo wrote: The medical school is on first avenue. It's a pretty inconvenient commute to Morningside Heights. And trust me, you'll have to come to the school a lot. Can you guys stay near Columbia for your first year and then move downtown for your 2L and 3L years? That would really be the best option.

I think that this would be a good option for me to bring up.

starrydreamz3 wrote: Housing prices around Columbia/Morningside Heights are much cheaper than living in the village. It's also has more of a neighborhood feel, whereas NYU has a lot more options for bars and restaurants. I would suggest trying to get into Columbia's couples housing. The two of you could live together for under 2k/month. I'm not sure if she'd be up for the 25-30min commute, but its probably the best option financially.

Couples housing may be difficult for us to get since we won't be married yet and have not lived together.

smaug wrote:The commute would be annoying but not too bad. About 30 minutes each way I think. You could probably find housing somewhere in between but it might be cheaper to live near one of the two campuses. I'm not great at NYC housing stuff, but I know some of my friends who live a bit south of the school say you can find some cheaper good housing before you get into the fancy part of the UWS.

I appreciate all of your honesty and advice. I will be visiting for the admitted student days so hopefully that (along with scholarship offers) with give me a bit more clarity. Anything in particular that you guys think I should check out for my visit?

I'm a 1L at CLS, and my SO is a grad student at NYU who lives with me in morningside. She commutes to the village. Its a struggle some days, but its not that bad. I go down to meet her sometimes after her classes get out, and its a nice way to spend time downtown and see different bars/restaurants from the columbia area norm.

PM me if you have any specific questions. I think the Columbia/NYU student relationship is definitely manageable (and I know others doing it), but it takes perseverence and a bit of flexibility. You will both be extremely busy, and so if you're the types that need constant contact/regular meals together/parallel sleep schedules for the relationship to thrive/survive, you should consider NYU. Otherwise honestly i'd take Columbia and the substantially cheaper morningside 1BDR housing options.

ETA: also, per your concern above, we arent married and this is our first time living together too. You can live in CLS couples housing fine, just not general CU.

Tekrul

Postby Tekrul » Sat Feb 01, 2014 3:23 am

Also living with my SO. I'm at at cls and she's finishing her senior year at nyu. You can definitely both live at Columbia, live near nyu, or live inbetween. The commute is not bad once you get a hang of the subway.

starrydreamz3

Postby starrydreamz3 » Sat Feb 01, 2014 11:45 am

If you have a joint bank account for 6 months prior to moving in, you'll be able to live together. Go set up a small one together right now if you're worried you won't be able to get couple's housing.

iamgeorgebush

Postby iamgeorgebush » Sun Feb 02, 2014 9:42 pm

Hey there, admitted student here. Anyone know where to find info on the grade cutoffs various firms?

ETA: What a waste of a 500th post.
Last edited by iamgeorgebush on Sun Feb 02, 2014 10:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tiago Splitter

Postby Tiago Splitter » Sun Feb 02, 2014 9:48 pm

iamgeorgebush wrote:Hey there, admitted student here. Anyone know where to find info on the grade cutoffs various firms?

Doesn't exist. All you'll get as a 1L is info on what percentage of offers at each firm were made to people above the Stone cutoff, which is 3.41, or roughly top third.

smaug_

Postby smaug_ » Sun Feb 02, 2014 9:49 pm

iamgeorgebush wrote:Hey there, admitted student here. Anyone know where to find info on the grade cutoffs various firms?

:lol: :lol: There is no such info. Such info only exists in dreams and legends.

Seriously though, firms generally don't like that going out and I'm unaware of any charting by OCS. Stone should give you a shot at all but the most grade conscious firms. I'm sure that better grades make things easier. Hiring is not like law school admissions. It is, intentionally, a black box.

iamgeorgebush

Postby iamgeorgebush » Sun Feb 02, 2014 10:05 pm

Doh. :(

cws277

Postby cws277 » Mon Feb 03, 2014 1:24 am

t14splitter wrote:Couples housing may be difficult for us to get since we won't be married yet and have not lived together.

I'm also a 1L living in couple's housing. My SO works in Times Square (much easier commute than 1st Ave, so keep that in mind). We live in a palatial (in NYC terms) 1 BR apartment and pay pennies on the dollar for the place, probably $1k/month below market rate. I really can't recommend couple's housing at Columbia highly enough. Like starry said, the joint bank account rule is easy to follow, but at the time we signed our lease, we had only had a joint account for five months and nobody cared. And FYI, I just timed out the commute from my apartment to the NYU medical campus and it would be about 30-40 minutes each way depending on luck catching trains.

So if you wind up liking the schools equally after admitted students events, have equivalent COA and are deciding solely on the basis of the availability of cheap, nice housing, I would imagine it's hard to beat Columbia.

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”