Columbia students taking questions

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
Tiago Splitter

Re: Columbia 1L(s) taking questions

Postby Tiago Splitter » Thu Dec 12, 2013 12:48 pm

helix23 wrote:
Tiago Splitter wrote:
ph5354a wrote:Does LawNet turn grey the day that grades come out?

Close. You'll see the exam number appear sometime before the grades are posted. Sometimes grades show up minutes later, other times hours later. Exam number's last year for Rapa's class went up like two weeks before the grades, so that wait was awful.

Yeah that sounds crappy. There's gotta be some Terminator/LawNet jokes out there somewhere that I'm too lazy to make.

What's the protocol for determining where one's GPA stands in the class? Is there an official posting of class rank bands or does it just have to be figured out via word of mouth?

There is definitely no ranking. We mostly just guess where Stone (3.41) puts you. Used to be 28% but they eased up on the curve a bit and now it's probably more like top 35% though no one can say for sure. Median is something like a 3.3.

helix23

Postby helix23 » Thu Dec 12, 2013 12:56 pm

Tiago Splitter wrote:
helix23 wrote:
Tiago Splitter wrote:
ph5354a wrote:Does LawNet turn grey the day that grades come out?

Close. You'll see the exam number appear sometime before the grades are posted. Sometimes grades show up minutes later, other times hours later. Exam number's last year for Rapa's class went up like two weeks before the grades, so that wait was awful.

Yeah that sounds crappy. There's gotta be some Terminator/LawNet jokes out there somewhere that I'm too lazy to make.

What's the protocol for determining where one's GPA stands in the class? Is there an official posting of class rank bands or does it just have to be figured out via word of mouth?

There is definitely no ranking. We mostly just guess where Stone (3.41) puts you. Used to be 28% but they eased up on the curve a bit and now it's probably more like top 35% though no one can say for sure. Median is something like a 3.3.

Ok, thanks. I'm assuming LawNet at least tells you your GPA. Or do we have to figure that out too?

Tiago Splitter

Postby Tiago Splitter » Thu Dec 12, 2013 1:26 pm

helix23 wrote:Ok, thanks. I'm assuming LawNet at least tells you your GPA. Or do we have to figure that out too?

We don't do GPAs here at CLS. You aren't even supposed to put it on your resume, which needs to be reviewed (insert lol here) before you go to OCI.

But they're not hard to calculate. You only have seven grades as a first year. They will put "Harlan Fiske Stone Scholar" on your transcript if you make it and that indicates 3.41. They will also put James Kent scholar I guess but just lol.

helix23

Postby helix23 » Thu Dec 12, 2013 1:46 pm

Tiago Splitter wrote:
helix23 wrote:Ok, thanks. I'm assuming LawNet at least tells you your GPA. Or do we have to figure that out too?

We don't do GPAs here at CLS. You aren't even supposed to put it on your resume, which needs to be reviewed (insert lol here) before you go to OCI.

But they're not hard to calculate. You only have seven grades as a first year. They will put "Harlan Fiske Stone Scholar" on your transcript if you make it and that indicates 3.41. They will also put James Kent scholar I guess but just lol.

thanks for believing in me, bro

jbagelboy

Postby jbagelboy » Thu Dec 12, 2013 2:42 pm

helix23 wrote:
Tiago Splitter wrote:

Thanks for all this info. Clutch.

Would one find out who got Stone after this semesters grades, or only after May?

Tiago Splitter

Postby Tiago Splitter » Thu Dec 12, 2013 2:47 pm

jbagelboy wrote:
helix23 wrote:
Tiago Splitter wrote:

Thanks for all this info. Clutch.

Would one find out who got Stone after this semesters grades, or only after May?

Only after May.

Columbia is kind of weird because we don't have Latin honors at graduation. Just Kent or Stone, which you can get during any of your three years. So if you make Stone after 1L and don't have your sights set on a clerkship or 3L OCI there is really nothing to push you to get good grades unless you can just dominate and throw up a 3.8 for Kent. On the other hand, if you miss Stone during 1L you can get it during 2L or 3L and your firm bio will forever let the world know you were a Harlan Fiske Stone Scholar.

bouleversement

Postby bouleversement » Thu Dec 12, 2013 3:50 pm

Just how rare is a Kent? How many per year per class?

Tiago Splitter

Postby Tiago Splitter » Thu Dec 12, 2013 4:20 pm

bouleversement wrote:Just how rare is a Kent? How many per year per class?

I think I've seen top 2-5%. Probably a little easier 2nd and 3rd year because fewer people try and the curve is a little easier for regular classes and a lot easier for seminars.

girlmonster

Postby girlmonster » Fri Dec 27, 2013 4:07 pm

Do any of you have recommendations for dog-friendly housing?

Audeamus

Postby Audeamus » Fri Dec 27, 2013 6:43 pm

girlmonster wrote:Do any of you have recommendations for dog-friendly housing?

I live in CLS housing with my dog and it's great. The school doesn't officially allow dogs but I spoke with the law school housing rep before submitting my housing request and she essentially said that as long as you're in an unfurnished apartment and your dog doesn't bark excessively or scare anyone it's fine. Definitely don't rule out CLS housing solely based on having a dog. (I am particularly happy with my building since it's directly across from the law school, there is a dog bark a block away, and my super loves dogs.)

girlmonster

Postby girlmonster » Fri Dec 27, 2013 6:55 pm

Audeamus wrote:

I live in CLS housing with my dog and it's great. The school doesn't officially allow dogs but I spoke with the law school housing rep before submitting my housing request and she essentially said that as long as you're in an unfurnished apartment and your dog doesn't bark excessively or scare anyone it's fine. Definitely don't rule out CLS housing solely based on having a dog. (I am particularly happy with my building since it's directly across from the law school, there is a dog bark a block away, and my super loves dogs.)

Yay, this makes me so happy! I was getting worried when I saw the UAH site said that pets are not allowed, but then I also saw in another thread where someone said that's only enforced for shares. Do you live in a single?

Audeamus

Postby Audeamus » Fri Dec 27, 2013 7:36 pm

girlmonster wrote:
Audeamus wrote:

Yay, this makes me so happy! I was getting worried when I saw the UAH site said that pets are not allowed, but then I also saw in another thread where someone said that's only enforced for shares. Do you live in a single?

I live in couples housing. I have a friend who lives in a share and has a dog but she waited to bring him (he stayed with her parents) until she had met her roommates and found out they were totally cool with her bringing her dog. I also have friends who live in shares with cats. Getting a share is definitely risky though if you want to bring a pet. Trying to get a studio would probably be your best bet if you want CLS housing. Otherwise, there is a lot of housing near the school. NYC is a very dog friendly city.

girlmonster

Postby girlmonster » Fri Dec 27, 2013 9:04 pm

Audeamus wrote:
girlmonster wrote:
Audeamus wrote:

I live in couples housing. I have a friend who lives in a share and has a dog but she waited to bring him (he stayed with her parents) until she had met her roommates and found out they were totally cool with her bringing her dog. I also have friends who live in shares with cats. Getting a share is definitely risky though if you want to bring a pet. Trying to get a studio would probably be your best bet if you want CLS housing. Otherwise, there is a lot of housing near the school. NYC is a very dog friendly city.

Thanks for the reassurance! I'm sure something will work out then. I'm glad to hear it's more flexible than the website made it seem.

ph5354a

Postby ph5354a » Fri Jan 10, 2014 10:32 am

For the future, when we actually have grades, what's the best way to submit a transcript with a job application --do you have to request an official one, or can you just PDF the LawNet screen and submit that?

Tiago Splitter

Postby Tiago Splitter » Fri Jan 10, 2014 12:46 pm

ph5354a wrote:For the future, when we actually have grades, what's the best way to submit a transcript with a job application --do you have to request an official one, or can you just PDF the LawNet screen and submit that?

PDF is fine. For those of us who wouldn't know how to do that you can print it out and use the scanners in the library.

txdude45

Postby txdude45 » Fri Jan 10, 2014 5:53 pm

Grades do eventually come out, right?

smaug_

Postby smaug_ » Fri Jan 10, 2014 7:04 pm

txdude45 wrote:Grades do eventually come out, right?

They're always slow. You'll be fine. Knowing sooner or later doesn't make you or break you in anyway, so chill out, apply to some jerbs and go drankin'.

ph5354a

Postby ph5354a » Fri Jan 10, 2014 7:16 pm

Here's to my grades being decent enough to render the minor typo I just found in my cover letter irrelevant!

txdude45

Postby txdude45 » Fri Jan 10, 2014 10:47 pm

ph5354a wrote:Here's to my grades being decent enough to render the minor typo I just found in my cover letter irrelevant!

Dude, within 2 sentences of noting my attention to detail, I remind the reader that I know how to led.

jbagelboy

Postby jbagelboy » Sat Jan 11, 2014 12:55 am

txdude45 wrote:
ph5354a wrote:Here's to my grades being decent enough to render the minor typo I just found in my cover letter irrelevant!

Dude, within 2 sentences of noting my attention to detail, I remind the reader that I know how to led.

ledding is a critical skill for an attorney. Irreplaceable.

iamgeorgebush

Postby iamgeorgebush » Sat Jan 11, 2014 2:14 am

How the hell does CLS figure $21k living expenses? Do people actually manage this? I was under the impression that living in Manhattan is super expensive.

jbagelboy

Postby jbagelboy » Sat Jan 11, 2014 2:37 am

iamgeorgebush wrote:How the hell does CLS figure $21k living expenses? Do people actually manage this? I was under the impression that living in Manhattan is super expensive.

Yea its way more expensive unless you can live like a monk

ph5354a

Postby ph5354a » Sat Jan 11, 2014 10:12 am

iamgeorgebush wrote:How the hell does CLS figure $21k living expenses? Do people actually manage this? I was under the impression that living in Manhattan is super expensive.

If you can stay within their budget for rent ($1,333, which is crazy since a lot of Columbia housing is more than that, esp. studios/1 bedrooms), then I think the board/personal expenses category is manageable. Together, the non-rent part of the budget works out to $1,000 per month, which I think is sufficient--I spend about $800 per month on everything besides rent and utilities. Though if you have significant start up costs (furniture, large moving expenses) then that will take a chunk out of the budget too. Fwiw, I'm borrowing less than the $21k for living expenses, but I saved up a little from my job to cover moving expenses and other incidentals early on and my rent is less than $1,333.

Keep in mind that their budget is for 9 months, not a full year. You can either scrimp and stretch it for 12 months (easy if your rent ends up being cheaper), or rely on the guaranteed summer funding, which probably won't cover all summer expenses, but will bridge most of the gap.

Tiago Splitter

Postby Tiago Splitter » Sat Jan 11, 2014 12:00 pm

I blew past whatever you're supposed to spend, but I know plenty of people who came in under that living expense estimate. $900-$1100 a month seems like a typical number for a share, and that leaves quite a bit to deal with everything else.

helix23

Postby helix23 » Sat Jan 11, 2014 1:32 pm

jbagelboy wrote:
txdude45 wrote:

ledding is a critical skill for an attorney. Irreplaceable.

That's what the L in LPW stands for, right?

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”