Columbia students taking questions

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
angflos

Re: Columbia 1L(s) taking questions

Postby angflos » Sat Aug 10, 2013 12:21 pm

So when do we actually get refunds? My loans and everything have been disbursed already...

Sgt Pepper

Postby Sgt Pepper » Thu Aug 15, 2013 10:01 pm

Any older students have a legal methods book from Ginsburg that they would want to sell me?
A shot in the dark but thought it was worth a try.

smaug_

Postby smaug_ » Thu Aug 15, 2013 10:07 pm

Sgt Pepper wrote:Any older students have a legal methods book from Ginsburg that they would want to sell me?

Go to the PILF book sale. I'm sure they'll hook you up.

Sgt Pepper

Postby Sgt Pepper » Thu Aug 15, 2013 10:41 pm

hibiki wrote:
Sgt Pepper wrote:Any older students have a legal methods book from Ginsburg that they would want to sell me?

Go to the PILF book sale. I'm sure they'll hook you up.

Yeah just got an email about it...quite cheap indeed

Bob-Loblaw 1

Postby Bob-Loblaw 1 » Thu Aug 15, 2013 11:21 pm

Anyone have Sarah Cleveland (civpro), Jody Kraus(contracts), or Vincent Blasi(torts) your 1L year and willing to share some insight? It would be much appreciated!

Tiago Splitter

Postby Tiago Splitter » Fri Aug 16, 2013 12:25 am

Bob-Loblaw 1 wrote:Anyone have Sarah Cleveland (civpro), Jody Kraus(contracts), or Vincent Blasi(torts) your 1L year and willing to share some insight? It would be much appreciated!

lol Kraus. If you have him in a large section, you'll only get called on once, but the call will last 15-45 minutes. For us this wasn't so bad because he went alphabetically so you knew when you were coming up. He's quite the showman in class but for us he didn't provide his email address or really make himself accessible in any way outside of class, and his final was written by Professor Scott, who is also his co-author. My guess is he is a bit better as an instructor this time around, but who knows.

jbagelboy

Postby jbagelboy » Sun Aug 18, 2013 6:25 pm

Tiago Splitter wrote:
Bob-Loblaw 1 wrote:Anyone have Sarah Cleveland (civpro), Jody Kraus(contracts), or Vincent Blasi(torts) your 1L year and willing to share some insight? It would be much appreciated!

lol Kraus. If you have him in a large section, you'll only get called on once, but the call will last 15-45 minutes. For us this wasn't so bad because he went alphabetically so you knew when you were coming up. He's quite the showman in class but for us he didn't provide his email address or really make himself accessible in any way outside of class, and his final was written by Professor Scott, who is also his co-author. My guess is he is a bit better as an instructor this time around, but who knows.

Lol I have Kraus too, I assumed it would be a her (Jody..) oops.

Sounds like a practical guy!

Also thanks for the info/heads up

bemusedcapybara

Postby bemusedcapybara » Wed Aug 21, 2013 1:21 pm

Kraus' coldcalls are absolutely terrifying, so hopefully he has a system to it (alphabetically) like he did for us last year. Definitely be prepared for the first day of class with him. A lot of professors will go over the syllabus and things like that and not get to the first day's reading until the second day of class. Kraus literally started our section by cold-calling a random guy and asking him questions about the case for an hour.

MCFC

Postby MCFC » Sun Sep 01, 2013 12:36 pm

So this is a pretty dumb question, but for Civil Procedure, one of the listed textbooks is, obviously, the Federal Rules of Civil Procedure. ~$45 on Amazon. I also notice that I can buy something called "Federal Rules of Civil Procedure" in the Rulebook App for iPad/iPhone for $2. Is that the same thing? Would you recommend buying the actual textbook?

smaug_

Postby smaug_ » Sun Sep 01, 2013 12:53 pm

MCFC wrote:So this is a pretty dumb question, but for Civil Procedure, one of the listed textbooks is, obviously, the Federal Rules of Civil Procedure. ~$45 on Amazon. I also notice that I can buy something called "Federal Rules of Civil Procedure" in the Rulebook App for iPad/iPhone for $2. Is that the same thing? Would you recommend buying the actual textbook?

You could probably get away with the Cornell online version if you're trying to be really cheap, but you'll want to be able to flip around. You'll also probably want the actual rules in your outline. (or to go over them again when you're outlining)

jubee

Postby jubee » Sun Sep 01, 2013 5:06 pm

anyone know of a good thai delivery place? i want drunken noodles very badly (was extremely disappointed in Ollies...didn't get drunken noodles but the quality of food was pretty bad so i don't want to try it again)

Tiago Splitter

Postby Tiago Splitter » Sun Sep 01, 2013 5:07 pm

jubee wrote:anyone know of a good thai delivery place? i want drunken noodles very badly (was extremely disappointed in Ollies...didn't get drunken noodles but the quality of food was pretty bad so i don't want to try it again)

Thai market is good

smaug_

Postby smaug_ » Sun Sep 01, 2013 5:11 pm

Tiago Splitter wrote:
jubee wrote:anyone know of a good thai delivery place? i want drunken noodles very badly (was extremely disappointed in Ollies...didn't get drunken noodles but the quality of food was pretty bad so i don't want to try it again)

Thai market is good

I prefer Opai Thai. (Though I think Thai Market might do better noodles and Opai Thai might do better curry.)

MCFC

Postby MCFC » Sun Sep 01, 2013 7:44 pm

hibiki wrote:
MCFC wrote:So this is a pretty dumb question, but for Civil Procedure, one of the listed textbooks is, obviously, the Federal Rules of Civil Procedure. ~$45 on Amazon. I also notice that I can buy something called "Federal Rules of Civil Procedure" in the Rulebook App for iPad/iPhone for $2. Is that the same thing? Would you recommend buying the actual textbook?

You could probably get away with the Cornell online version if you're trying to be really cheap, but you'll want to be able to flip around. You'll also probably want the actual rules in your outline. (or to go over them again when you're outlining)

Thanks. That's what I figured, just wanted to be sure.

piccolittle

Postby piccolittle » Sun Sep 01, 2013 8:05 pm

MCFC wrote:
hibiki wrote:

Thanks. That's what I figured, just wanted to be sure.

Also I'm pretty sure you can get a little copy of the FRCP for free from Westlaw/Lexis in the basement of the library. That big $45 book might have cases in the back, though - make sure you don't have important reading in that book before you go for a cheaper one.

ph5354a

Postby ph5354a » Sat Sep 07, 2013 10:23 am

Can anyone tell me if Merrill, Shaw, or Emens allow laptops in class? I've only received a syllabus from Merrill so far and it doesn't say anything about his policies.

Tiago Splitter

Postby Tiago Splitter » Sat Sep 07, 2013 10:26 am

Merrill allows laptops.

piccolittle

Postby piccolittle » Sat Sep 07, 2013 10:32 am

Tiago Splitter wrote:Merrill allows laptops.

So does Shaw.

ph5354a

Postby ph5354a » Sat Sep 07, 2013 10:33 am

piccolittle wrote:
Tiago Splitter wrote:Merrill allows laptops.

So does Shaw.

Thank you both!

amsong

Postby amsong » Sat Sep 07, 2013 12:20 pm

Any general advice on Goldberg (CivPro; seems to really dislike laptops), Hamburger (Contracts), Liebman (Torts)?

moonman157

Postby moonman157 » Sun Sep 08, 2013 11:20 am

Looking to buy supplements for these classes. Can anyone offer suggestions?

Torts: Rapacynski
Civ Pro: Goldberg
Contracts: Kraus

Or offer any tips/advice for these professors. That would be appreciated as well. Thanks!

Tiago Splitter

Postby Tiago Splitter » Sun Sep 08, 2013 11:36 am

moonman157 wrote:Looking to buy supplements for these classes. Can anyone offer suggestions?

Or offer any tips/advice for these professors. That would be appreciated as well. Thanks!

The only must have supplement for any of those classes is the Glannon Civ Pro E&E, but I didn't have Goldberg.

I did have the other two profs. Kraus is pretty much a lost cause. All you can do is go to class, take notes, and do the assigned readings. Also go to the TA sessions. The final will be difficult, but it's difficult for everyone, so just hang in there. I didn't use supplements for that class because he said you shouldn't but I would have used them if I could do it over again. Someone else may be able to chime in regarding the best options.

Rapa's final is closed book and mostly multiple choice. You can do well by simply reading and re-reading the relevant material in the casebook as it gets closer to the end. I probably read each chapter at least one extra time between Thanksgiving and the final, and did tons of multiple choice practice questions with a small group as well. Since it's closed book you'll do really well if you know the book cold. It's very much unlike the typical law school exam but if you are good at memorizing that's not a bad thing.

If any of you 1L's wanna know more feel free to PM.

jbagelboy

Postby jbagelboy » Sun Sep 08, 2013 12:30 pm

Tiago Splitter wrote:
moonman157 wrote:Looking to buy supplements for these classes. Can anyone offer suggestions?

The only must have supplement for any of those classes is the Glannon Civ Pro E&E, but I didn't have Goldberg.

I did have the other two profs. Kraus is pretty much a lost cause. All you can do is go to class, take notes, and do the assigned readings. Also go to the TA sessions. The final will be difficult, but it's difficult for everyone, so just hang in there. I didn't use supplements for that class because he said you shouldn't but I would have used them if I could do it over again. Someone else may be able to chime in regarding the best options.

Rapa's final is closed book and mostly multiple choice. You can do well by simply reading and re-reading the relevant material in the casebook as it gets closer to the end. I probably read each chapter at least one extra time between Thanksgiving and the final, and did tons of multiple choice practice questions with a small group as well. Since it's closed book you'll do really well if you know the book cold. It's very much unlike the typical law school exam but if you are good at memorizing that's not a bad thing.

If any of you 1L's wanna know more feel free to PM.

Thanks! Goldberg actually made her E&E required reading.. So..

I guess we'll be picking up some contracts supplements!

Bronck

Postby Bronck » Sun Sep 08, 2013 2:01 pm

Didn't have any of those professors, but I found:

Torts -- E&E is best, though Torts concepts are generally fairly easy so I don't think a supp is needed.
Civ Pro -- E&E (Glannon), seriously.
Ks -- Didn't find the Chirlestein very useful, though people on TLS often tout it as the best. It's a good overview, but I don't find that anything was necessary for Ks either.

lunaraeon

Postby lunaraeon » Mon Sep 09, 2013 12:50 am

Also jumping on the advice for my classes train: Torts with Huang, Civ Pro with Johnson, and Contracts with Katz. Anyone happen to have experience with one or all? :D

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”