Columbia students taking questions Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
ph5354a

Gold

Re: Columbia 1L(s) taking questions

Post by ph5354a » Thu Jun 13, 2013 9:49 am

Tekrul wrote: Edit: ill share them with you donaghy but we dont know each other
I wanna be friends I wanna be friends I wanna be friends!

but don't make me work out

Tekrul

Bronze

Post by Tekrul » Thu Jun 13, 2013 11:06 am

Lol I meant we don't know each other as in if you get caught red handed, you will bolt instead of offering me up on a silver platter :wink:

ph5354a

Gold

Post by ph5354a » Thu Jun 13, 2013 11:09 am

Tekrul wrote:Lol I meant we don't know each other as in if you get caught red handed, you will bolt instead of offering me up on a silver platter :wink:
Ahahaha I did NOT get that. Don't worry, I would shut up faster than a girl in math class.

Tekrul

Bronze

Post by Tekrul » Thu Jun 13, 2013 11:15 am

I think it's because I used "don't" instead of "do not" and I should have only bolded "not". The inflection was all wrong.

francesfarmer

Silver

Post by francesfarmer » Thu Jun 13, 2013 11:22 am

Is there like "spanish for the lawyering profession" or something because I'm gonna go the PI/PD route and my spanish has fallen off since UG. How does that work?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Bronck

Gold

Post by Bronck » Thu Jun 13, 2013 11:31 am

francesfarmer wrote:Is there like "spanish for the lawyering profession" or something because I'm gonna go the PI/PD route and my spanish has fallen off since UG. How does that work?
You can take languages at the general university. I don't think you can get credit for it though.

francesfarmer

Silver

Post by francesfarmer » Thu Jun 13, 2013 11:32 am

Bronck wrote:
francesfarmer wrote:Is there like "spanish for the lawyering profession" or something because I'm gonna go the PI/PD route and my spanish has fallen off since UG. How does that work?
You can take languages at the general university. I don't think you can get credit for it though.
I bet they make you pay for it.

Bronck

Gold

Post by Bronck » Thu Jun 13, 2013 11:33 am

francesfarmer wrote:
Bronck wrote:
I don't believe so

francesfarmer

Silver

Post by francesfarmer » Thu Jun 13, 2013 11:34 am

Bronck wrote:
francesfarmer wrote:
Bronck wrote:
I don't believe so
Oh, that would be great. Thanks.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Tekrul

Bronze

Post by Tekrul » Thu Jun 13, 2013 11:34 am

Sweet, taking more Russian and Chinese then.

francesfarmer

Silver

Post by francesfarmer » Thu Jun 13, 2013 11:39 am

Tekrul wrote:Sweet, taking more Russian and Chinese then.
I really wish they had like job-specific language classes though, don't you? Like, UG language classes are so annoying. If I have to do any more presentations on surrealist spanish film I'm going to end myself

beepboopbeep

Gold

Post by beepboopbeep » Thu Jun 13, 2013 11:43 am

ph5354a wrote:I would shut up faster than a girl in math class.
I didn't want this gem to go unquoted.

Tekrul

Bronze

Post by Tekrul » Thu Jun 13, 2013 11:49 am

francesfarmer wrote:
I really wish they had like job-specific language classes though, don't you? Like, UG language classes are so annoying. If I have to do any more presentations on surrealist spanish film I'm going to end myself
Oh god I didn't think of that. I was just thinking I could sit in the back, learn, do none of the homework and take none of the tests. They wouldn't make us take exams and stuff would they?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

ph5354a

Gold

Post by ph5354a » Thu Jun 13, 2013 11:50 am

beepboopbeep wrote:
Thank you, that means a lot

francesfarmer

Silver

Post by francesfarmer » Thu Jun 13, 2013 1:00 pm

ph5354a wrote:
beepboopbeep wrote:
I'm not going to get upset about this because it is totally something Jack Donaghy/Alec Baldwin would say

francesfarmer

Silver

Post by francesfarmer » Thu Jun 13, 2013 1:01 pm

Tekrul wrote:
francesfarmer wrote:
Oh god I didn't think of that. I was just thinking I could sit in the back, learn, do none of the homework and take none of the tests. They wouldn't make us take exams and stuff would they?
Conventional wisdom would indicate that learning involves doing homework and taking tests so idk.

ph5354a

Gold

Post by ph5354a » Thu Jun 13, 2013 1:02 pm

francesfarmer wrote:
ph5354a wrote:
beepboopbeep wrote:
I'm not going to get upset about this because it is totally something Jack Donaghy/Alec Baldwin would say
http://www.hark.com/clips/hyqcgrpvyl-th ... math-class

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

francesfarmer

Silver

Post by francesfarmer » Thu Jun 13, 2013 1:04 pm

Totally forgot about that exchange. God I love Kenneth.

Tekrul

Bronze

Post by Tekrul » Thu Jun 13, 2013 1:05 pm

francesfarmer wrote:
Tekrul wrote:
francesfarmer wrote:
Conventional wisdom would indicate that learning involves doing homework and taking tests so idk.
But we as law students, voluntarily using our time to go to a UG language course, will have demonstrated an intrinsic motivation to learn the language by simply being there. Not being able to accept an additional workload is just a matter practicality. I certainly hope they'd exempt us from the hw and tests.

Edit: oh god the number of times I've taken a verbal beat down at a level no less intense than a witch hunt when I say, sarcastically, something donaghy would say and it gets overheard out of context. He is a dangerous man to quote in public.

ph5354a

Gold

Post by ph5354a » Thu Jun 13, 2013 1:08 pm

Tekrul wrote:
francesfarmer wrote:
Tekrul wrote: Oh god I didn't think of that. I was just thinking I could sit in the back, learn, do none of the homework and take none of the tests. They wouldn't make us take exams and stuff would they?
But we as law students, voluntarily using our time to go to a UG language course, will have demonstrated an intrinsic motivation to learn the language by simply being there. Not being able to accept an additional workload is just a matter practicality. I certainly hope they'd exempt us from the hw and tests.
If you're not paying for it, then it's probably an audit, not a for-credit class, which means that you would be exempt from homework/tests. Actually, when you audit, the professors have no obligation to grade any of your work, so even if you wanted to take the tests and write papers, it would be up to them if they felt like grading it.

francesfarmer

Silver

Post by francesfarmer » Thu Jun 13, 2013 1:12 pm

Tekrul wrote:But we as law students, voluntarily using our time to go to a UG language course, will have demonstrated an intrinsic motivation to learn the language by simply being there. Not being able to accept an additional workload is just a matter practicality. I certainly hope they'd exempt us from the hw and tests.
I would definitely want homework and tests because the pressure would make me learn (and I wouldn't anticipate taking these classes until 2L/3L anyway so the pressure wouldn't be that insane) and I would imagine that UG language course professors might be kind of pissed if there were a bunch of kids taking up space in class and not participating in any way, since enrollment in language classes is capped, first of all, and the classes themselves are all about participation and presentations, at least all the Spanish classes I took at Columbia during UG were anyway. So I would much rather be in a class that was designed for someone in law school that wouldn't waste my time with theoretical discussions about culture and/or vocab about going to the beach and shit.

You're right though re: demonstrated motivation to learn should mean we don't have to do bullshit homework

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Tiago Splitter

Diamond

Post by Tiago Splitter » Fri Jun 14, 2013 5:42 pm

Can anyone tell me what the easy classes are? I'm trying to figure out how to mix a little fluff into my first semester schedule for next year but course reviews for every class always say there was "too much reading."

Tekrul

Bronze

Post by Tekrul » Fri Jun 14, 2013 9:03 pm

For those of you considering takes courses in the university, and because there was language courses talk:

http://www.culpa.info/

Unfortunately nothing under there for law, tiago splitter. It seems no law students use this site, but essentially every undergrad division does.

Bronck

Gold

Post by Bronck » Sat Jun 15, 2013 2:47 am

Tiago Splitter wrote:Can anyone tell me what the easy classes are? I'm trying to figure out how to mix a little fluff into my first semester schedule for next year but course reviews for every class always say there was "too much reading."
+1. I feel like I should just email every 2L/3L I know and ask them what the easy classes are.

Tekrul

Bronze

Post by Tekrul » Sat Jun 15, 2013 9:17 am

If everyone started using the culpa directory I linked, we'd have a solid course review site. I kind of assumed the law school had it's own version of this since this site's law category has like 1 review.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”