Columbia students taking questions Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
Tiago Splitter

Diamond

Re: Columbia 1L(s) taking questions

Post by Tiago Splitter » Tue Mar 25, 2014 4:14 pm

Theopliske8711 wrote:Btw, there is no chance that CLS offers student MTA cards, do they?
Not that I'm aware of.

tkim129

New

Post by tkim129 » Tue Mar 25, 2014 4:53 pm

Theopliske8711 wrote:Btw, there is no chance that CLS offers student MTA cards, do they?
They don't, as far as I know.

papercut

Silver

Post by papercut » Tue Mar 25, 2014 6:37 pm

tkim129 wrote:
In the same vein, does it make sense to get the monthly unlimited card, or do pay as you go?

How much traveling around the city did you do during 1L?

Tiago Splitter

Diamond

Post by Tiago Splitter » Tue Mar 25, 2014 6:39 pm

papercut wrote:
tkim129 wrote:
In the same vein, does it make sense to get the monthly unlimited card, or do pay as you go?

Monthly isn't a good deal unless you're using the subway everyday to get to work or school. If you live nearby you'll want to pay as you go.

Sgt Pepper

New

Post by Sgt Pepper » Tue Mar 25, 2014 7:03 pm

Tiago Splitter wrote:
papercut wrote:
tkim129 wrote:

Monthly isn't a good deal unless you're using the subway everyday to get to work or school. If you live nearby you'll want to pay as you go.
Agreed, with the exception of the first month. I got a monthly for legal methods and I definitely think it was worth it.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

jbagelboy

Diamond

Post by jbagelboy » Tue Mar 25, 2014 7:05 pm

I dont get monthlies, but when friends come and stay with me and I know ill be out and about a lot ill buy a weekly sometimes.

Monochromatic Oeuvre

Gold

Post by Monochromatic Oeuvre » Tue Mar 25, 2014 7:21 pm

papercut wrote:
tkim129 wrote:

If you do enough travelling to spend $112 a month on the subway during 1L, you are either a hero or someone who does not live within walking distance.

papercut

Silver

Post by papercut » Tue Mar 25, 2014 7:24 pm

I have a cat, she has to come with me.

I've read the following on TLS:

The pet policy is not enforced for individual housing.
The pet policy is not enforced for unfurnished apartments.

What's true these days?

If I get furnished studio, will they care about my cat?

Thanks!

Tiago Splitter

Diamond

Post by Tiago Splitter » Tue Mar 25, 2014 8:18 pm

I really doubt you'll have any problems with a cat. If you can, go get the keys and get all set up first and then bring the cat so as to avoid any questions, but even if someone saw it I don't think they'd say anything.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

papercut

Silver

Post by papercut » Tue Mar 25, 2014 8:30 pm

Tiago Splitter wrote:I really doubt you'll have any problems with a cat. If you can, go get the keys and get all set up first and then bring the cat so as to avoid any questions, but even if someone saw it I don't think they'd say anything.
Thanks!

iamgeorgebush

Silver

Post by iamgeorgebush » Tue Mar 25, 2014 11:52 pm

papercut wrote:I have a cat, she has to come with me.

I've read the following on TLS:

The pet policy is not enforced for individual housing.
The pet policy is not enforced for unfurnished apartments.

What's true these days?

If I get furnished studio, will they care about my cat?

Thanks!
i read this as "will they take care of my cat?" as in kill it. ouch. :(

this is a silly and somewhat vague question, but if you could give your 0L selves some practical advice, what would it be?

tkim129

New

Post by tkim129 » Wed Mar 26, 2014 2:31 pm

iamgeorgebush wrote:
this is a silly and somewhat vague question, but if you could give your 0L selves some practical advice, what would it be?
Figure out what you want to do as fast as you can and commit to it. Decisiveness will not only help focus your resources (especially your time), it will give you a marketable interest for potential employers and conversational fodder for job interviews.

You'll hear this a billion times, but never forget that all your studying should be geared towards the final. If what you are reading isn't going to help you succeed on the final, you need to ask yourself whether it's worth your time and energy. (e.g. meticulously knowing the facts and posture so you can be a gunner in class will merit you nothing but the ire of your classmates.)

Also, if you end up at CLS, don't take legal methods or your legal practice workshop very seriously. Instead, use the first month to make friends and consume excessive amounts of free alcohol. Bobbitt's section has by far the best social events and he's kind of a 1L legend, so hope that you get him.

And oh, thank the baby Jesus that Shaw won't be teaching CivPro next year.

papercut

Silver

Post by papercut » Wed Mar 26, 2014 6:45 pm

Totally anecdotal, and not exactly what you're asking, but there's not a ton of replies in here, so what the hell.
I'm a 2L at CLS and ~10-15% of my class doesn't have a legal job lined up for this summer. Slightly less than that percentage of the 3L class doesn't have a job lined up for post-graduation. By "legal job" I'm including clerkships, firm jobs, and full-time public interest jobs. Nobody that I know of has a school-sponsored research position or anything tricky like that.
Found this on a subreddit. Since there isn't much activity there, I was wondering if some of you guys could comment on it. Thanks :)

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Monochromatic Oeuvre

Gold

Post by Monochromatic Oeuvre » Wed Mar 26, 2014 8:13 pm

iamgeorgebush wrote:this is a silly and somewhat vague question, but if you could give your 0L selves some practical advice, what would it be?
Get your goddamn life in order before you go to law school. This is a really bad place to have any kind of romantic/emotional issues, or really anything approaching a problem in your life. Some people fall pretty far, so try to start from a decent place.
papercut wrote:
Totally anecdotal, and not exactly what you're asking, but there's not a ton of replies in here, so what the hell.
I'm a 2L at CLS and ~10-15% of my class doesn't have a legal job lined up for this summer. Slightly less than that percentage of the 3L class doesn't have a job lined up for post-graduation. By "legal job" I'm including clerkships, firm jobs, and full-time public interest jobs. Nobody that I know of has a school-sponsored research position or anything tricky like that.
Found this on a subreddit. Since there isn't much activity there, I was wondering if some of you guys could comment on it. Thanks :)
I'm willing to bet that's true. I'm also willing to bet that's the lowest number you find of any law school in the country.

Tiago Splitter

Diamond

Post by Tiago Splitter » Wed Mar 26, 2014 9:05 pm

Other 0L things to do: Get your resume and job app stuff straightened out. Nice if you have a reference or two ready to go. One less thing to worry about when 1L job app season rolls around. Otherwise, just don't panic. Worry about the final, yes, but for the most part just do the assigned work and keep up with things and you'll do just fine.
papercut wrote:
And this is why doing "just fine" should be the goal. You don't come to Columbia thinking you have to finish at the top of your class to get a job.

welkertexasranger

New

Post by welkertexasranger » Thu Mar 27, 2014 3:47 pm

papercut wrote:I'm a 2L at CLS and ~10-15% of my class doesn't have a legal job lined up for this summer. Slightly less than that percentage of the 3L class doesn't have a job lined up for post-graduation. By "legal job" I'm including clerkships, firm jobs, and full-time public interest jobs. Nobody that I know of has a school-sponsored research position or anything tricky like that.
I'm a 2L and have heard of a small number of people (3-5) who don't have anything lined up for the summer. I'm sure there are some more that I don't know. I do also know several more people who had a tough time at EIP and only found stuff later. By and large, though, it's kind of not surprising when you learn about the people who struggled (can't hold a conversation, immature, etc.). Look at the stats of % of class in clerkships / law firms of 100+. If you're choosing among schools I'd recommend thinking about what your goal is. Particularly if your goal is biglaw, there is no where better to go.

mt2165

Silver

Post by mt2165 » Thu Mar 27, 2014 10:31 pm

Can anyone PI/Gov oriented speak on their experiences at CLS? And if anyone is feeling so inclined I'd love a PM cause I have a plethora of specific questions.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

buffalo_

Bronze

Post by buffalo_ » Fri Mar 28, 2014 11:43 am

Do you know people who actually borrowed sticker? Or do most people not receiving aid have savings/family money to help out? And are these students having panic attacks daily or only weekly?

FredJones

New

Post by FredJones » Sat Mar 29, 2014 10:25 am

buffalo_ wrote:Do you know people who actually borrowed sticker? Or do most people not receiving aid have savings/family money to help out? And are these students having panic attacks daily or only weekly?
I'm borrowing sticker. Not a huge deal, since I'm sure I'll be well employed. I know a few others doing the same and they more/less feel the same way. Having savings to dull the blow would be nice, but it's not unmanageable. If I were going to a different school, I might worry. As it stands, meh.

mt2165

Silver

Post by mt2165 » Sat Mar 29, 2014 10:34 am

FredJones wrote:
buffalo_ wrote:Do you know people who actually borrowed sticker? Or do most people not receiving aid have savings/family money to help out? And are these students having panic attacks daily or only weekly?
I'm borrowing sticker. Not a huge deal, since I'm sure I'll be well employed. I know a few others doing the same and they more/less feel the same way. Having savings to dull the blow would be nice, but it's not unmanageable. If I were going to a different school, I might worry. As it stands, meh.
Not to sound jaded, but you're not worried you'll do big law for a few years, hate it, drop out and still have $150,000 debt on your chest?

jbagelboy

Diamond

Post by jbagelboy » Sat Mar 29, 2014 10:44 am

mt2165 wrote:
FredJones wrote:
Not to sound jaded, but you're not worried you'll do big law for a few years, hate it, drop out and still have $150,000 debt on your chest?
Once you get to a law school like CLS, you realize this is a flawed dichotomy. Striking out could be devastating, but if you go to a big firm (and CLS kids usually go to pretty "elite" firms), even if you leave after 3 years your exit options tend to be strong enough to sustain the debt over a career. It's not like you're going $190K -> 0 income if you had a firm job in new york . For ~70% of people, the first firm job is more of a stepping stone than a lifelong career commitment.

I highly discourage stressing about debt once you start school. Besides living a moderate lifestyle, not much to control it.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

mt2165

Silver

Post by mt2165 » Sat Mar 29, 2014 10:57 am

jbagelboy wrote:
mt2165 wrote:
FredJones wrote:
Once you get to a law school like CLS, you realize this is a flawed dichotomy. Striking out could be devastating, but if you go to a big firm (and CLS kids usually go to pretty "elite" firms), even if you leave after 3 years your exit options tend to be strong enough to sustain the debt over a career. It's not like you're going $190K -> 0 income if you had a firm job in new york . For ~70% of people, the first firm job is more of a stepping stone than a lifelong career commitment.

I highly discourage stressing about debt once you start school. Besides living a moderate lifestyle, not much to control it.
Ahhh ok that makes sense. Something I don't really comprehend as a 0L is the availability/viability of these exit options. Is there like an "average" case of what these look like to a CLS grad at a V20 firm after a few years. Like you have good, fulfilling options?

Tiago Splitter

Diamond

Post by Tiago Splitter » Sat Mar 29, 2014 11:56 am

mt2165 wrote: Ahhh ok that makes sense. Something I don't really comprehend as a 0L is the availability/viability of these exit options. Is there like an "average" case of what these look like to a CLS grad at a V20 firm after a few years. Like you have good, fulfilling options?
Depends on how you define good and fulfilling. If you want to make six figures for the rest of your life you'll be able to.

tkim129

New

Post by tkim129 » Sat Mar 29, 2014 2:26 pm

mt2165 wrote: Ahhh ok that makes sense. Something I don't really comprehend as a 0L is the availability/viability of these exit options. Is there like an "average" case of what these look like to a CLS grad at a V20 firm after a few years. Like you have good, fulfilling options?

Many will go in house for a private company or to a lower ranked firm. Others (especially those who are more litigation oriented) will nab up the prestigious public sector jobs that weren't widely available to entry level attorneys (e.g. USAO). The select few will go clerk and basically do whatever they want afterwards.
--
I'm also paying sticker. My wife and I also share about 100K in undergraduate debt. (She's now an elementary school teacher). It's good motivation, if anything, to get above median grade-wise and put in some extra hustle during the job search.

tkim129

New

Post by tkim129 » Sat Mar 29, 2014 2:27 pm

jbagelboy wrote: Once you get to a law school like CLS, you realize this is a flawed dichotomy. Striking out could be devastating, but if you go to a big firm (and CLS kids usually go to pretty "elite" firms), even if you leave after 3 years your exit options tend to be strong enough to sustain the debt over a career. It's not like you're going $190K -> 0 income if you had a firm job in new york . For ~70% of people, the first firm job is more of a stepping stone than a lifelong career commitment.

+1

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”