Columbia students taking questions

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
stoopkid13

Re: Columbia students taking questions

Postby stoopkid13 » Thu Mar 09, 2017 5:51 pm

jpark86 wrote:
Tiago Splitter wrote:
jpark86 wrote:Question to current students

I am a NY resident and will most likely end up staying in the city for law school. I've heard mixed comments about this but do you think its worth living on campus or nearby Columbia during 1L? I do understand I would be spending a lot of time in the library and wouldn't want to waste time and energy commuting to Midtown (where I live now).

I think it's better to live in the vicinity of the school but not worth doing if you have a good setup as is. Especially if you're only in midtown as opposed to Brooklyn or somewhere else much farther away.

my lease ends in August anyway so the timing works out perfectly
guess I will apply for student housing

You can always apply for student housing and change your mind later. FWIW I lived off-campus 1L and I actually really liked being able to get away from the law school. I also had HS/college friends living in NY, so being off campus made it a little easier to meet them. Just a matter of personal preference I think though.

Thelaw23

Postby Thelaw23 » Thu Mar 09, 2017 5:53 pm

Guys what hours and days does the CLS bookstore work?
Also where is it lol

jpark86

Postby jpark86 » Thu Mar 09, 2017 5:55 pm

Thelaw23 wrote:Guys what hours and days does the CLS bookstore work?
Also where is it lol

basement of Lerner Hall

the entrance is located on 115th street and broadway

take the escalators down

Thelaw23

Postby Thelaw23 » Thu Mar 09, 2017 6:14 pm

jpark86 wrote:
Also where is it lol

basement of Lerner Hall

take the escalators down

That's the general bookstore, right?

I want the Columbia law swag

Nebby
amateur huffpo

Postby Nebby » Thu Mar 09, 2017 6:26 pm

Thelaw23 wrote:
jpark86 wrote:
Also where is it lol

basement of Lerner Hall

take the escalators down

There is no separate bookstore. The CLS swag that is available is in the general bookstore. I recommend the gray hoodie.

8)

benwyatt

Postby benwyatt » Thu Mar 09, 2017 7:03 pm

Nebby wrote:
Thelaw23 wrote:
jpark86 wrote:
Also where is it lol

basement of Lerner Hall

take the escalators down

There is no separate bookstore. The CLS swag that is available is in the general bookstore. I recommend the gray hoodie.

8)

CLS swag is pretty lacking tbh

mmestik

Postby mmestik » Thu Mar 09, 2017 8:30 pm

I've got a couple quick housing questions: from previous forums and this one, people have said that you can get CLS unfurnished housing for around $1000 a month but the stuff I'm seeing on the housing website (400 block apartments, Lionsgate and Lenfest) is on average $1400 a month... Am I missing another housing complex? Also, is there no other way to somewhat specify what type of person you would want as your roommate other than the 5 'Preference' questions on the housing app? Thanks!

Tiago Splitter

Postby Tiago Splitter » Thu Mar 09, 2017 8:31 pm

mmestik wrote:I've got a couple quick housing questions: from previous forums and this one, people have said that you can get CLS unfurnished housing for around $1000 a month but the stuff I'm seeing on the housing website (400 block apartments, Lionsgate and Lenfest) is on average $1400 a month... Am I missing another housing complex? Also, is there no other way to somewhat specify what type of person you would want as your roommate other than the 5 'Preference' questions on the housing app? Thanks!

Don't know about the roommates but the stuff they show on the website is far from everything. The school owns a large portion of the stuff from 108th to 125th.

jpark86

Postby jpark86 » Fri Mar 10, 2017 11:24 am

Tiago Splitter wrote:
mmestik wrote:I've got a couple quick housing questions: from previous forums and this one, people have said that you can get CLS unfurnished housing for around $1000 a month but the stuff I'm seeing on the housing website (400 block apartments, Lionsgate and Lenfest) is on average $1400 a month... Am I missing another housing complex? Also, is there no other way to somewhat specify what type of person you would want as your roommate other than the 5 'Preference' questions on the housing app? Thanks!

Don't know about the roommates but the stuff they show on the website is far from everything. The school owns a large portion of the stuff from 108th to 125th.

What is the best on-campus housing option in your opinion for an incoming 1L? I am looking for a single room that is recently renovated, furnished and is maximum 10 minute walking distance to Jerome Greene.

White Dwarf

Postby White Dwarf » Fri Mar 10, 2017 11:51 am

Maybe in an atypical situation, but I'm in a 400 block triple that's a ~3 minute walk from the law school, and I hate it. $1470 a month, and when I moved in the common areas looked like something out of an abandoned crack house/animal shelter. Every white surface was brown-to-black, and there was approximately two garbage bags worth of body hair accumulated in the bathroom and along the edges of the hallways. My roommate for the last two years is the most unsanitary person I've ever met. His area of the kitchen counter has 6 months worth of crumbs and stains on it (and it'd be 18 months if I hadn't given in and cleaned it).

/rant

Probably not the norm, but paying ~$1500/month to share a bathroom and kitchen with two random people is a crappy deal. Even in NYC.

mmestik

Postby mmestik » Fri Mar 10, 2017 12:43 pm

White Dwarf wrote:Maybe in an atypical situation, but I'm in a 400 block triple that's a ~3 minute walk from the law school, and I hate it. $1470 a month, and when I moved in the common areas looked like something out of an abandoned crack house/animal shelter. Every white surface was brown-to-black, and there was approximately two garbage bags worth of body hair accumulated in the bathroom and along the edges of the hallways. My roommate for the last two years is the most unsanitary person I've ever met. His area of the kitchen counter has 6 months worth of crumbs and stains on it (and it'd be 18 months if I hadn't given in and cleaned it).

/rant

Probably not the norm, but paying ~$1500/month to share a bathroom and kitchen with two random people is a crappy deal. Even in NYC.

That sounds absolutely terrifying, sorry to hear that. Would be great if other people can comment on their living situations too! Would it really cost more than $1500 to just have one roommate?

kingpin101

Postby kingpin101 » Fri Mar 10, 2017 12:52 pm

I don't get why people live in law school housing. UAH housing is far cheaper. I pay 1100 to live in a 3br.

Tiago Splitter

Postby Tiago Splitter » Fri Mar 10, 2017 2:07 pm

jpark86 wrote:
Tiago Splitter wrote:

What is the best on-campus housing option in your opinion for an incoming 1L? I am looking for a single room that is recently renovated, furnished and is maximum 10 minute walking distance to Jerome Greene.

kingpin101 wrote:I don't get why people live in law school housing. UAH housing is far cheaper. I pay 1100 to live in a 3br.

I'm not sure I ever understood the difference. Either way OP just sign up for UAH housing and let them know what you want and they'll usually do a decent job.

mmestik

Postby mmestik » Fri Mar 10, 2017 3:14 pm

Tiago Splitter wrote:
jpark86 wrote:
Tiago Splitter wrote:

kingpin101 wrote:I don't get why people live in law school housing. UAH housing is far cheaper. I pay 1100 to live in a 3br.

I'm not sure I ever understood the difference. Either way OP just sign up for UAH housing and let them know what you want and they'll usually do a decent job.

Good to hear, just worried about roommates but not much I can do about that I guess.. thanks very much for your responses

RSN

Postby RSN » Fri Mar 10, 2017 4:06 pm

jpark86 wrote:
Tiago Splitter wrote:

It depends on your budget. If you're open to spending more ($2200ish), Lenfest is all of those things.

alpinespring

Postby alpinespring » Fri Mar 10, 2017 4:46 pm

benwyatt wrote:
Nebby wrote:
Thelaw23 wrote:
jpark86 wrote:
Also where is it lol

basement of Lerner Hall

take the escalators down

8)

Really? Among NYC law school students, aren't you guys the King?

I mean... Columbia undergrads enjoy super swag and CLS is at least as, if not more, prestigious than Columbia College, no?

Nebby
amateur huffpo

Postby Nebby » Fri Mar 10, 2017 5:32 pm

alpinespring wrote:
benwyatt wrote:
Nebby wrote:
Thelaw23 wrote:
jpark86 wrote:
Also where is it lol

basement of Lerner Hall

take the escalators down

8)

I mean... Columbia undergrads enjoy super swag and CLS is at least as, if not more, prestigious than Columbia College, no?

He meant swag in the sense of clothing, hats, mugs, etc.

In the sense you meant, yes--we are big ricked mofos

benwyatt

Postby benwyatt » Fri Mar 10, 2017 8:29 pm

Nebby wrote:
alpinespring wrote:
benwyatt wrote:
Nebby wrote:
Thelaw23 wrote:
jpark86 wrote:
Also where is it lol

basement of Lerner Hall

take the escalators down

8)

He meant swag in the sense of clothing, hats, mugs, etc.

In the sense you meant, yes--we are big ricked mofos

Was not aware people other than hopeful used swag that way anymore

GoneSouth

Postby GoneSouth » Sun Mar 12, 2017 1:59 am

DCfilterDC wrote:
Nebby wrote:
Kaziende wrote:Hey guys thanks for answering questions! Here's something I've been wondering about:
In general, how tough is it to get into the clinics and secondary journals of your choice? I'm interested specifically in the human rights clinic and the human rights law review. Can anyone speak to the selection process/degree of selectivity? Is it one of those things that if you really want to do it and have relevant experience, you generally can get a spot?

DC can elaborate further, but if you have relevant experience and really want on then you'll get on/in.

Secondary journals? You can get onto whichever you want if you really have some drive to be on that specific journal. I wouldnt worry about that. Especially HRLR (human rights law review), won't be an issue.

Clinics are a bit different. It's going to be more specific to you and which clinic you want. The unofficial numbers that admissions won't tell you is that the most popular clinics (human rights, mediation, mass incarceration) get 4-5 applicants per open slot every semester. That being said, if you really want to do it and (as you said) you have relevant experience, you'll get on it. The dedicated human rights people get spots first semester 2L and will be involved in some capacity for likely all of 2L and 3L (if they want to). I also can't currently think of any people in the human rights clinic who did EIP, which just speaks to the fact that its comprised of dedicated people.

Columbia's clinics are (mostly) some of the best clinical programs in the country, and are really worthwhile and substantive. Feel free to PM me if you want to talk specifics or if you want me to put you in contact with someone in the human rights clinic

What do you mean by "especially HRLR"? Of the secondary journals its probably one of the most competitive (maybe CBLR? I have no idea if they are) and they're one of the only ones that makes you do write-on rather than applying early. That being said, if you make it clear in your personal statement that you're really into human rights, are trying to get into the Human Rights Clinic, maybe have some human rights stuff on your resume, you shouldn't have a problem assuming your grades/write-on aren't horrible.

Kummel

Postby Kummel » Sun Mar 12, 2017 11:08 am

GoneSouth wrote:What do you mean by "especially HRLR"? Of the secondary journals its probably one of the most competitive (maybe CBLR? I have no idea if they are) and they're one of the only ones that makes you do write-on rather than applying early. That being said, if you make it clear in your personal statement that you're really into human rights, are trying to get into the Human Rights Clinic, maybe have some human rights stuff on your resume, you shouldn't have a problem assuming your grades/write-on aren't horrible.

:lol: @ bolded.

nobody is getting rejected from HRLR who wants to actually be on it. The "application" is sending in your moot court brief that you wrote for foundational

ZVBXRPL

Postby ZVBXRPL » Sun Mar 12, 2017 11:18 am

benwyatt wrote:
Nebby wrote:
Thelaw23 wrote:
jpark86 wrote:
Also where is it lol

basement of Lerner Hall

take the escalators down

8)

If you sign up for the Columbia U. bookstore email list, you'll get coupons like 20 or 30% off of apparel pretty frequently. For law books/assigned readings, go to the desk in the back of the store.

GoneSouth

Postby GoneSouth » Sun Mar 12, 2017 11:40 am

DCfilterDC wrote:
GoneSouth wrote:What do you mean by "especially HRLR"? Of the secondary journals its probably one of the most competitive (maybe CBLR? I have no idea if they are) and they're one of the only ones that makes you do write-on rather than applying early. That being said, if you make it clear in your personal statement that you're really into human rights, are trying to get into the Human Rights Clinic, maybe have some human rights stuff on your resume, you shouldn't have a problem assuming your grades/write-on aren't horrible.

nobody is getting rejected from HRLR who wants to actually be on it. The "application" is sending in your moot court brief that you wrote for foundational

I know people who didn't get on journals they wanted to get on, including HRLR. You're right though, I forgot that you can send in a different writing sample.

Nebby
amateur huffpo

Postby Nebby » Sun Mar 12, 2017 2:32 pm

GoneSouth wrote:
DCfilterDC wrote:

I know people who didn't get on journals they wanted to get on, including HRLR. You're right though, I forgot that you can send in a different writing sample.

Well they likely didn't demonstrate it very well, then.

TheoO

Postby TheoO » Sun Mar 12, 2017 7:01 pm

Is there any time between graduation and bar study? Like a week period when you can maybe do a short trip? How quickly do you need to head into studying so that you can be ready by time of the exam?

Nebby
amateur huffpo

Postby Nebby » Sun Mar 12, 2017 8:59 pm

TheoO wrote:Is there any time between graduation and bar study? Like a week period when you can maybe do a short trip? How quickly do you need to head into studying so that you can be ready by time of the exam?

I started studying the Monday following graduation. Depending on how comfortable you are with probably not finishing the bar review course by the time you take the bar, you could take a short trip. I don't recommend it but you can try.

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”