Columbia students taking questions

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
minkbrigade

Re: Columbia students taking questions

Postby minkbrigade » Thu Feb 23, 2017 2:49 pm

Hey all! A few questions about housing:

1. If I am willing to live ~half hour commute away and with roommates, do you all think it's feasible to find a place for around $800 - 900? The internet makes it seem possible, but I've also heard horror-stories about the NYC housing search so wanted to check with folks who had done it.

2. If you live in law school/UAH housing, how does the roommate situation work? Do they just randomly assign you to someone? I am happy to live with other people, but would really prefer to have a say in who I live with.

3. Are there benefits to law school/UAH housing other than convenience? I'm worried I'm missing something, but it just doesn't look like that good of a deal to me, particularly since it sounds like you can't see the apartment before signing the lease.

Thanks!!

Tiago Splitter

Postby Tiago Splitter » Thu Feb 23, 2017 2:56 pm

minkbrigade wrote:Hey all! A few questions about housing:

1. If I am willing to live ~half hour commute away and with roommates, do you all think it's feasible to find a place for around $800 - 900? The internet makes it seem possible, but I've also heard horror-stories about the NYC housing search so wanted to check with folks who had done it.

2. If you live in law school/UAH housing, how does the roommate situation work? Do they just randomly assign you to someone? I am happy to live with other people, but would really prefer to have a say in who I live with.

3. Are there benefits to law school/UAH housing other than convenience? I'm worried I'm missing something, but it just doesn't look like that good of a deal to me, particularly since it sounds like you can't see the apartment before signing the lease.

Thanks!!

1. You could live a ten minute walk away down in Harlem and get that kind of price. Don't know how feasible it is if you go 30 minutes south. North it's probably doable but that's not a place of lot of students live.

2. Not sure. I know plenty of people who picked roommates for 2L/3L.

3. The benefit is price.

Nebby

Postby Nebby » Thu Feb 23, 2017 3:25 pm

Dodge is where little Neebles got huge and started the never-ending journey to the Pearly Gains. It holds a special place in my heart.

Dodge is incredibly doable if you plan properly. You can sign up for cardio pretty far in advance. Though it says that you can't sign up more than two hours before the workout, no one enforces the rule and people routinely hit up dodge around lunch time to reserve a spot at like 4pm or whatever.

As you attend the gym, you'll find that there are times where it is less busy than others. Generally its least busy in the morning, or right after the final PE class ends (this semester it appears they all end at 3PM: http://perec.columbia.edu/content/facility-schedules) Some of the time they end at 4PM (I think in the fall semester).

Best plan is to pick lifting days where you can get there at 3PM. It's generally pretty empty on weekends from open til 4PM, so afternoon lifts are clutch on weekends.

In terms of equipment, Dodge actually has very nice equipment. It has two Oly platforms and staff is generally okay with using chalk so long as you do not make a mess. Both of these things are going to be very difficult to find at any commercial gym, as commercial gyms are where dreams of gains go to die sad deaths. However, the overwhelming number of people I knew who complained about the gym were people who never had gainspirations to begin with. Dodge's other equipment is all top-notch, too. The only complaint is that there's only two benches, but that brings me to my next point:

Gyms can be busy: ask to work in. (you're gonna be living in NYC so all gyms will be busy at certain times as is the nature of a big city)

If you see someone benching and you want to bench, then ask them how many sets they have left and if you can work in with them. No one will say no. They may be very reluctant, but they can go fuck themselves because gyms get busy and there's no reason they cannot let you work in. If you're feeling comfortable, you can also ask to work in if there's two people on a bench, but you might get more pushback then. However, most people in Dodge are not assholes so they'll likely begrudgingly let you work in. Same concept extends to squat racks and oly platform. Generally, since I often did more weight than the average person, I would entice them by offering to strip and add whatever weight is necessary to make their life easier. I'd particularly do this if someone was doing overhead press on a squat rack and I wanted to squat.

Caveat: As my girlfriend has explained to me, my own experiences with people allowing me to work in is due in part to my swole-male-privilege, and the general sexist attitude pervasive in a college gym (it's basically the jungle in terms of how little people understand gym etiquette) makes what I'm recommending much more difficult for a woman, as the neanderthals in the gym are not nearly as flexible towards women.

DCfilterDC

Postby DCfilterDC » Thu Feb 23, 2017 4:39 pm

Nebby wrote:Caveat: As my girlfriend

Did you write all that so you could tell everyone you have a girlfriend?

Nebby

Postby Nebby » Thu Feb 23, 2017 4:42 pm

DCfilterDC wrote:
Nebby wrote:Caveat: As my girlfriend

Did you write all that so you could tell everyone you have a girlfriend?

No. I wrote it out to spread the gainspel

dabigchina

Postby dabigchina » Thu Feb 23, 2017 5:00 pm

Nebby wrote:Dodge is where little Neebles got huge and started the never-ending journey to the Pearly Gains. It holds a special place in my heart.

Dodge is incredibly doable if you plan properly. You can sign up for cardio pretty far in advance. Though it says that you can't sign up more than two hours before the workout, no one enforces the rule and people routinely hit up dodge around lunch time to reserve a spot at like 4pm or whatever.

As you attend the gym, you'll find that there are times where it is less busy than others. Generally its least busy in the morning, or right after the final PE class ends (this semester it appears they all end at 3PM: http://perec.columbia.edu/content/facility-schedules) Some of the time they end at 4PM (I think in the fall semester).

Best plan is to pick lifting days where you can get there at 3PM. It's generally pretty empty on weekends from open til 4PM, so afternoon lifts are clutch on weekends.

In terms of equipment, Dodge actually has very nice equipment. It has two Oly platforms and staff is generally okay with using chalk so long as you do not make a mess. Both of these things are going to be very difficult to find at any commercial gym, as commercial gyms are where dreams of gains go to die sad deaths. However, the overwhelming number of people I knew who complained about the gym were people who never had gainspirations to begin with. Dodge's other equipment is all top-notch, too. The only complaint is that there's only two benches, but that brings me to my next point:

Gyms can be busy: ask to work in. (you're gonna be living in NYC so all gyms will be busy at certain times as is the nature of a big city)

If you see someone benching and you want to bench, then ask them how many sets they have left and if you can work in with them. No one will say no. They may be very reluctant, but they can go fuck themselves because gyms get busy and there's no reason they cannot let you work in. If you're feeling comfortable, you can also ask to work in if there's two people on a bench, but you might get more pushback then. However, most people in Dodge are not assholes so they'll likely begrudgingly let you work in. Same concept extends to squat racks and oly platform. Generally, since I often did more weight than the average person, I would entice them by offering to strip and add whatever weight is necessary to make their life easier. I'd particularly do this if someone was doing overhead press on a squat rack and I wanted to squat.

Caveat: As my girlfriend has explained to me, my own experiences with people allowing me to work in is due in part to my swole-male-privilege, and the general sexist attitude pervasive in a college gym (it's basically the jungle in terms of how little people understand gym etiquette) makes what I'm recommending much more difficult for a woman, as the neanderthals in the gym are not nearly as flexible towards women.

Dodge is shit, pure shit. The equipment is fine but wow is it ever crowded. If there were ever a fire around 5-6PM, I doubt people would be able to get out in time.

Also, half the main weight room will be closed for a significant amount of the day so undergrads can have their weightlifting class. This used to piss me off to no end but they have thankfully added weights on different levels so I can get some semblance of a workout done.

Working in is fine. Be sensible about it. Don't ask to work in if you aren't doing approximately the same amount of weight as the person you are asking.

ETA: just realized Tiago covered everything, so +1 I guess.

Thelaw23

Postby Thelaw23 » Mon Feb 27, 2017 12:53 pm

What are the chances for me finding parking that's unmetered at CLS from 8am - 9pm Wednesday/Thursday?

mmestik

Postby mmestik » Tue Feb 28, 2017 1:23 pm

I sent in my fin aid forms by email; should I be waiting for a confirmation email back?

Nebby

Postby Nebby » Tue Feb 28, 2017 1:36 pm

mmestik wrote:I sent in my fin aid forms by email; should I be waiting for a confirmation email back?

You should get an automatic response that says something like "this is a very busy time of the year please give us a few days to respond to any inquiries"

Nebby

Postby Nebby » Tue Feb 28, 2017 1:37 pm

Thelaw23 wrote:What are the chances for me finding parking that's unmetered at CLS from 8am - 9pm Wednesday/Thursday?

lol

DCfilterDC

Postby DCfilterDC » Tue Feb 28, 2017 1:57 pm

Thelaw23 wrote:What are the chances for me finding parking that's unmetered at CLS from 8am - 9pm Wednesday/Thursday?

Not that bad honestly. If you get there early enough you can probably find parking in the greater 6 block radius. Just be aware that a lot of streets will have 2 hour windows for street cleaning that you can't be on one side of the street for certain days a week

eta: but still not necessarily worth the risk of not finding a spot
Last edited by DCfilterDC on Tue Feb 28, 2017 2:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Thelaw23

Postby Thelaw23 » Tue Feb 28, 2017 2:01 pm

DCfilterDC wrote:

Not that bad honestly. If you get there early enough you can probably find parking in the greater 6 block radius. Just be aware that a lot of streets will have 2 hour windows for street cleaning that you can't be on one side of the street for certain days a week

Thanks! Yeah, that's what I was worried about. But it's alright, I realized there will be drinking involved in the evening so I'll just leave the car in Brooklyn.

Kaziende

Postby Kaziende » Tue Feb 28, 2017 5:26 pm

Hey guys thanks for answering questions! Here's something I've been wondering about:
In general, how tough is it to get into the clinics and secondary journals of your choice? I'm interested specifically in the human rights clinic and the human rights law review. Can anyone speak to the selection process/degree of selectivity? Is it one of those things that if you really want to do it and have relevant experience, you generally can get a spot?

Nebby

Postby Nebby » Tue Feb 28, 2017 7:29 pm

Kaziende wrote:Hey guys thanks for answering questions! Here's something I've been wondering about:
In general, how tough is it to get into the clinics and secondary journals of your choice? I'm interested specifically in the human rights clinic and the human rights law review. Can anyone speak to the selection process/degree of selectivity? Is it one of those things that if you really want to do it and have relevant experience, you generally can get a spot?

DC can elaborate further, but if you have relevant experience and really want on then you'll get on/in.

Lordcarnus123

Postby Lordcarnus123 » Wed Mar 01, 2017 12:25 am

For those who chose Columbia over Chicago (assume same $$, assume location wasn't the dealmaker/breaker) - why?

DCfilterDC

Postby DCfilterDC » Wed Mar 01, 2017 12:53 am

Nebby wrote:
Kaziende wrote:Hey guys thanks for answering questions! Here's something I've been wondering about:

DC can elaborate further, but if you have relevant experience and really want on then you'll get on/in.

Secondary journals? You can get onto whichever you want if you really have some drive to be on that specific journal. I wouldnt worry about that. Especially HRLR (human rights law review), won't be an issue.

Clinics are a bit different. It's going to be more specific to you and which clinic you want. The unofficial numbers that admissions won't tell you is that the most popular clinics (human rights, mediation, mass incarceration) get 4-5 applicants per open slot every semester. That being said, if you really want to do it and (as you said) you have relevant experience, you'll get on it. The dedicated human rights people get spots first semester 2L and will be involved in some capacity for likely all of 2L and 3L (if they want to). I also can't currently think of any people in the human rights clinic who did EIP, which just speaks to the fact that its comprised of dedicated people.

Columbia's clinics are (mostly) some of the best clinical programs in the country, and are really worthwhile and substantive. Feel free to PM me if you want to talk specifics or if you want me to put you in contact with someone in the human rights clinic

airwrecka

Postby airwrecka » Wed Mar 01, 2017 8:07 am

DCfilterDC wrote:
Nebby wrote:

Secondary journals? You can get onto whichever you want if you really have some drive to be on that specific journal. I wouldnt worry about that. Especially HRLR (human rights law review), won't be an issue.

Clinics are a bit different. It's going to be more specific to you and which clinic you want. The unofficial numbers that admissions won't tell you is that the most popular clinics (human rights, mediation, mass incarceration) get 4-5 applicants per open slot every semester. That being said, if you really want to do it and (as you said) you have relevant experience, you'll get on it. The dedicated human rights people get spots first semester 2L and will be involved in some capacity for likely all of 2L and 3L (if they want to). I also can't currently think of any people in the human rights clinic who did EIP, which just speaks to the fact that its comprised of dedicated people.

Columbia's clinics are (mostly) some of the best clinical programs in the country, and are really worthwhile and substantive. Feel free to PM me if you want to talk specifics or if you want me to put you in contact with someone in the human rights clinic

So would you say that someone who maybe does not have much relevant experience coming into law school would have a much harder time getting a spot in the HR clinic? I'm also interested, but not nearly as qualified as Kaziende :lol:

DCfilterDC

Postby DCfilterDC » Wed Mar 01, 2017 4:03 pm

airwrecka wrote:
So would you say that someone who maybe does not have much relevant experience coming into law school would have a much harder time getting a spot in the HR clinic? I'm also interested, but not nearly as qualified as Kaziende :lol:

You would have a harder time for first semester 2L (you apply spring 1L), but if it's something you really want to do you can build more experience while in law school. 1L year there are pro bono opportunities, you can spend your 1L summer doing "human rights" work somewhere, you can do research for the human rights institute, there are externships with the UN, etc. If you just do straight firm work during your time here, yes you'd have a "much harder" time getting into it.

There are other great Clinics too, and they are not as competitive and do a lot of different types of human rights work, depending on your definition of human rights.

airwrecka

Postby airwrecka » Wed Mar 01, 2017 4:04 pm

DCfilterDC wrote:
airwrecka wrote:

You would have a harder time for first semester 2L (you apply spring 1L), but if it's something you really want to do you can build more experience while in law school. 1L year there are pro bono opportunities, you can spend your 1L summer doing "human rights" work somewhere, you can do research for the human rights institute, there are externships with the UN, etc. If you just do straight firm work during your time here, yes you'd have a "much harder" time getting into it.

There are other great Clinics too, and they are not as competitive and do a lot of different types of human rights work, depending on your definition of human rights.

Good to know! Thank you for the reply :)

InsertRandomName

Postby InsertRandomName » Wed Mar 01, 2017 11:27 pm

Hi guys!

Does anyone have an outline for empirical analysis that I could have? I've checked the G drive and my affiliation group outline banks and haven't been able to find one.

Thank you so much, I really appreciate it!!

mornincounselor

Postby mornincounselor » Thu Mar 02, 2017 2:44 pm

Hey y'all. I am looking for anyone who took Criminal Law with visiting professor Jennifer Laurin last semester.

Anyone with insights, outlines, or practice exams please PM me.

alpinespring

Postby alpinespring » Sat Mar 04, 2017 3:34 am

Last edited by alpinespring on Wed Mar 08, 2017 1:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

appind

Postby appind » Sat Mar 04, 2017 3:48 am

I was wondering if some of the most standardized LS courses like "administrative law" have syllabus that are fully dependent on the professor teaching it.
So can the syllabus as described in the curriculum for the same course offering say admin law for different groups by profs A and B be different?

Nebby

Postby Nebby » Sat Mar 04, 2017 8:51 am

appind wrote:I was wondering if some of the most standardized LS courses like "administrative law" have syllabus that are fully dependent on the professor teaching it.
So can the syllabus as described in the curriculum for the same course offering say admin law for different groups by profs A and B be different?

Yes they are fully dependent on the teacher. Every class is.

call-me-bubbles

Postby call-me-bubbles » Sat Mar 04, 2017 11:11 am

Last edited by call-me-bubbles on Sat Mar 04, 2017 7:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”