Columbia students taking questions

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
User avatar
Nebby
Posts: 24341
Joined: Sat Feb 01, 2014 12:23 pm

Re: Columbia students taking questions

Postby Nebby » Wed Feb 22, 2017 4:02 pm

alpinespring wrote:Thank you for taking the time to answer our questions.

Just out of curiosity: How would you describe the people who rank in the top 30% / 10% at CLS?

When academic superstars from all across America (and the world) gather in one place, I wonder who makes it to the top. When ~500 summa / magna cum laudes compete.... most with similar cognitive horsepower (as measured by LSAT)... what's the distinguishing factor?

Is it the gifted/savant types? Photographic memory? Feel like there's a clear limit to how much effort and discipline can make a difference? Do you need to be born with a certain talent (reading for 10 hours straight, etc) to do well at CLS?

Thank you in advance.

As everyone has basically stated, getting As and A-s at CLS has much more to do with non-intelligence factors (discipline, time-management, effective study techniques, understanding how to properly answer law exam questions, liftweightsgethuge) than with raw intelligence.*

*raw intelligence is an incredibly useless skill but that's a conversation for another day

User avatar
Thelaw23
Posts: 607
Joined: Mon Oct 19, 2015 8:23 pm

Re: Columbia students taking questions

Postby Thelaw23 » Wed Feb 22, 2017 5:56 pm

I know, shoot me, this topic must have been discussed so many times already, but:

What is the best Columbia Law housing option to live in for someone who has no dog and doesn't like rats/cockroaches.(lel)

And also single. (If there's an apartment complex that's mostly populated with families idk if I would want that)

Also, when I visited during my information session, there was a student who was leading it and she told us that she got housing (a studio) during her 3L (and maybe 2L don't remember) on the lower east side for like $1400. She said it was done through Columbia and she thought it was subsidized by the school. I definitely want to live right next to the campus 1L and am good with the Columbia Law Housing options, but I was wondering what she was talking about. Is there a section somewhere on the website which explains this? How there is other housing available through Columbia?
Last edited by Thelaw23 on Wed Feb 22, 2017 10:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
LetsGoMets
Posts: 854
Joined: Tue Aug 19, 2014 9:32 pm

Re: Columbia students taking questions

Postby LetsGoMets » Wed Feb 22, 2017 9:36 pm

Non-0L question -- does anyone actually do the whole sublet approval thing through the Housing office to sublet their apartments for the summer, or is that just a joke?

dabigchina
Posts: 908
Joined: Mon Jan 13, 2014 2:22 am

Re: Columbia students taking questions

Postby dabigchina » Wed Feb 22, 2017 9:50 pm

LetsGoMets wrote:Non-0L question -- does anyone actually do the whole sublet approval thing through the Housing office to sublet their apartments for the summer, or is that just a joke?

I'm doing it but tbh I don't really see the point. They make you rent out for minimum 30 day periods so I'm only doing it officially for part of the summer anyway.

User avatar
LetsGoMets
Posts: 854
Joined: Tue Aug 19, 2014 9:32 pm

Re: Columbia students taking questions

Postby LetsGoMets » Wed Feb 22, 2017 10:04 pm

dabigchina wrote:
LetsGoMets wrote:Non-0L question -- does anyone actually do the whole sublet approval thing through the Housing office to sublet their apartments for the summer, or is that just a joke?

I'm doing it but tbh I don't really see the point. They make you rent out for minimum 30 day periods so I'm only doing it officially for part of the summer anyway.


Yeah, it does feel kind of pointless. I'm not all that concerned about it because it's Columbia bureaucracy we're talking about here, but on the off chance they do decide to be assholes about it I'd feel really bad if my subletter got screwed over.

dabigchina
Posts: 908
Joined: Mon Jan 13, 2014 2:22 am

Re: Columbia students taking questions

Postby dabigchina » Wed Feb 22, 2017 10:09 pm

LetsGoMets wrote:
dabigchina wrote:
LetsGoMets wrote:Non-0L question -- does anyone actually do the whole sublet approval thing through the Housing office to sublet their apartments for the summer, or is that just a joke?

I'm doing it but tbh I don't really see the point. They make you rent out for minimum 30 day periods so I'm only doing it officially for part of the summer anyway.


Yeah, it does feel kind of pointless. I'm not all that concerned about it because it's Columbia bureaucracy we're talking about here, but on the off chance they do decide to be assholes about it I'd feel really bad if my subletter got screwed over.

The only real downside is you can only charge 10% above your rent if you go through the official process. I wasn't trying to make a profit so whatever.

alpinespring
Posts: 82
Joined: Tue Feb 21, 2017 2:59 pm

Re: Columbia students taking questions

Postby alpinespring » Thu Feb 23, 2017 1:17 am

Nebby wrote:
alpinespring wrote:Thank you for taking the time to answer our questions.

Just out of curiosity: How would you describe the people who rank in the top 30% / 10% at CLS?

When academic superstars from all across America (and the world) gather in one place, I wonder who makes it to the top. When ~500 summa / magna cum laudes compete.... most with similar cognitive horsepower (as measured by LSAT)... what's the distinguishing factor?

Is it the gifted/savant types? Photographic memory? Feel like there's a clear limit to how much effort and discipline can make a difference? Do you need to be born with a certain talent (reading for 10 hours straight, etc) to do well at CLS?

Thank you in advance.

As everyone has basically stated, getting As and A-s at CLS has much more to do with non-intelligence factors (discipline, time-management, effective study techniques, understanding how to properly answer law exam questions, liftweightsgethuge) than with raw intelligence.*

*raw intelligence is an incredibly useless skill but that's a conversation for another day


Thank you! That gives hope to non-brainy folks!

User avatar
hellohalo
Posts: 442
Joined: Fri Jun 17, 2016 3:53 pm

Re: Columbia students taking questions

Postby hellohalo » Thu Feb 23, 2017 2:28 am

Mr. Meeseeks wrote:
ugg wrote:
benwyatt wrote:
Tiago Splitter wrote:
Mr. Meeseeks wrote:Are there many dog friendly apartment buildings near campus? I have a german shepherd and I'm a little nervous about finding somewhere to live since a lot of places consider them an "aggressive breed"

I lived on 112th and remember seeing a lot of dogs, even big ones. Don't remember german shepherds specifically but it doesn't seem like a deal breaker.

Also I feel like a lot of the housing rules around there are more like guidelines.

No one ever comes to check your apartment for compliance so it's more about if you have roommates who care or if your dog is a barker.

I wish I had known this coming in. My next door neighbors have a dog that barks incessantly and nothing has happened to them despite me complaining a few times. Just don't be this person, please.


Appreciate the input guys! Definitely makes me feel better.


You thinking about having your dog with you? I have a golden. And I'm afraid I have to leave him at home in upstate NY.

User avatar
hellohalo
Posts: 442
Joined: Fri Jun 17, 2016 3:53 pm

Re: Columbia students taking questions

Postby hellohalo » Thu Feb 23, 2017 2:31 am

mmestik wrote:Recently admitted 0L here; I'm wondering if there any groups/ Facebook pages where people can connect to play tennis. And for those who do play, how easy is it to find courts to hit on? And how accessible are the indoor courts during winter months? Thank you!


Would you teach me how to play please? I can hit ground strokes nicely. But I can't serve. Lol

User avatar
Mr. Meeseeks
Posts: 382
Joined: Tue Jun 14, 2016 7:06 am

Re: Columbia students taking questions

Postby Mr. Meeseeks » Thu Feb 23, 2017 8:49 am

hellohalo wrote:
Mr. Meeseeks wrote:
ugg wrote:
benwyatt wrote:
Tiago Splitter wrote:
Mr. Meeseeks wrote:Are there many dog friendly apartment buildings near campus? I have a german shepherd and I'm a little nervous about finding somewhere to live since a lot of places consider them an "aggressive breed"

I lived on 112th and remember seeing a lot of dogs, even big ones. Don't remember german shepherds specifically but it doesn't seem like a deal breaker.

Also I feel like a lot of the housing rules around there are more like guidelines.

No one ever comes to check your apartment for compliance so it's more about if you have roommates who care or if your dog is a barker.

I wish I had known this coming in. My next door neighbors have a dog that barks incessantly and nothing has happened to them despite me complaining a few times. Just don't be this person, please.


Appreciate the input guys! Definitely makes me feel better.


You thinking about having your dog with you? I have a golden. And I'm afraid I have to leave him at home in upstate NY.


I'm definitely going to try. I think it would be good for my mental health

User avatar
Thelaw23
Posts: 607
Joined: Mon Oct 19, 2015 8:23 pm

Re: Columbia students taking questions

Postby Thelaw23 » Thu Feb 23, 2017 8:59 am

I heard the gym is crappy.

User avatar
airwrecka
Posts: 823
Joined: Mon Oct 24, 2016 1:54 pm

Re: Columbia students taking questions

Postby airwrecka » Thu Feb 23, 2017 11:02 am

Question regarding butlers/hamiltons:

I've heard that some people have been successful negotiating a butler up to a hammy. Is there any precedent for someone who did not receive EITHER scholarship negotiating to get one after admission? I ask because I retook the LSAT in Feb, and I think I will have improved my score by 3-5 points (bring me up to the mid 170s). I was already admitted and didn't receive a scholly (unsurprisingly) but I want to know if I can request them to reconsider me for a butler/hammy with my new score (assuming it improves by as much as I think it might). Is this possible, or do I just have to wait for the normal financial aid process to pan out (I've already submitted all my materials)?

User avatar
hellohalo
Posts: 442
Joined: Fri Jun 17, 2016 3:53 pm

Re: Columbia students taking questions

Postby hellohalo » Thu Feb 23, 2017 11:04 am

Mr. Meeseeks wrote:
hellohalo wrote:
Mr. Meeseeks wrote:
ugg wrote:
benwyatt wrote:
Tiago Splitter wrote:
Mr. Meeseeks wrote:Are there many dog friendly apartment buildings near campus? I have a german shepherd and I'm a little nervous about finding somewhere to live since a lot of places consider them an "aggressive breed"

I lived on 112th and remember seeing a lot of dogs, even big ones. Don't remember german shepherds specifically but it doesn't seem like a deal breaker.

Also I feel like a lot of the housing rules around there are more like guidelines.

No one ever comes to check your apartment for compliance so it's more about if you have roommates who care or if your dog is a barker.

I wish I had known this coming in. My next door neighbors have a dog that barks incessantly and nothing has happened to them despite me complaining a few times. Just don't be this person, please.


Appreciate the input guys! Definitely makes me feel better.


You thinking about having your dog with you? I have a golden. And I'm afraid I have to leave him at home in upstate NY.


I'm definitely going to try. I think it would be good for my mental health


Too expensive for me. But if you have any good solution, lemme know. :mrgreen:

User avatar
Tiago Splitter
Posts: 16614
Joined: Tue Jun 28, 2011 1:20 am

Re: Columbia students taking questions

Postby Tiago Splitter » Thu Feb 23, 2017 11:35 am

airwrecka wrote:Question regarding butlers/hamiltons:

I've heard that some people have been successful negotiating a butler up to a hammy. Is there any precedent for someone who did not receive EITHER scholarship negotiating to get one after admission? I ask because I retook the LSAT in Feb, and I think I will have improved my score by 3-5 points (bring me up to the mid 170s). I was already admitted and didn't receive a scholly (unsurprisingly) but I want to know if I can request them to reconsider me for a butler/hammy with my new score (assuming it improves by as much as I think it might). Is this possible, or do I just have to wait for the normal financial aid process to pan out (I've already submitted all my materials)?

I've heard that in recent years they have been giving butler money (and in some cases more than that) through the normal financial aid process. A full ride is probably out though.

User avatar
Bearlyalive
Posts: 911
Joined: Sat Nov 28, 2015 3:35 pm

Re: Columbia students taking questions

Postby Bearlyalive » Thu Feb 23, 2017 12:27 pm

Thelaw23 wrote:I heard the gym is crappy.


Can confirm. Two olympic weight platforms, four squat racks, one power rack, and a million people trying to do squats. Also only two flat bench presses. Can't say much for the gym etiquette of a lot of people either (though that's probably true of any gym). I go at 6 in the morning because any other time you're going to be waiting longer than you'll be lifting. Though the problem is less that the gym is lacking equipment, and more that the gym is shared by the entire university.

User avatar
Thelaw23
Posts: 607
Joined: Mon Oct 19, 2015 8:23 pm

Re: Columbia students taking questions

Postby Thelaw23 » Thu Feb 23, 2017 12:30 pm

Bearlyalive wrote:
Thelaw23 wrote:I heard the gym is crappy.


Can confirm. Two olympic weight platforms, four squat racks, one power rack, and a million people trying to do squats. Also only two flat bench presses. Can't say much for the gym etiquette of a lot of people either (though that's probably true of any gym). I go at 6 in the morning because any other time you're going to be waiting longer than you'll be lifting. Though the problem is less that the gym is lacking equipment, and more that the gym is shared by the entire university.


Do you recommend signing up for a gym nearby? I can't stand that. Like at all. Two bench presses for the whole university????

User avatar
Pozzo
Posts: 1442
Joined: Mon Sep 28, 2015 3:36 pm

Re: Columbia students taking questions

Postby Pozzo » Thu Feb 23, 2017 12:35 pm

Anyone with insight on the need-based process for older students with families? PM to discuss?

User avatar
airwrecka
Posts: 823
Joined: Mon Oct 24, 2016 1:54 pm

Re: Columbia students taking questions

Postby airwrecka » Thu Feb 23, 2017 12:52 pm

Tiago Splitter wrote:
airwrecka wrote:Question regarding butlers/hamiltons:

I've heard that some people have been successful negotiating a butler up to a hammy. Is there any precedent for someone who did not receive EITHER scholarship negotiating to get one after admission? I ask because I retook the LSAT in Feb, and I think I will have improved my score by 3-5 points (bring me up to the mid 170s). I was already admitted and didn't receive a scholly (unsurprisingly) but I want to know if I can request them to reconsider me for a butler/hammy with my new score (assuming it improves by as much as I think it might). Is this possible, or do I just have to wait for the normal financial aid process to pan out (I've already submitted all my materials)?

I've heard that in recent years they have been giving butler money (and in some cases more than that) through the normal financial aid process. A full ride is probably out though.


gotcha. thanks! so do you think there is any point in e-mailing admissions after I have my score (i.e. next week) to "negotiate"/inquire about it, or just sit tight until end of March?

User avatar
ugg
Posts: 10051
Joined: Mon Sep 29, 2014 9:30 pm

Re: Columbia students taking questions

Postby ugg » Thu Feb 23, 2017 1:38 pm

Bearlyalive wrote:
Thelaw23 wrote:I heard the gym is crappy.


Can confirm. Two olympic weight platforms, four squat racks, one power rack, and a million people trying to do squats. Also only two flat bench presses. Can't say much for the gym etiquette of a lot of people either (though that's probably true of any gym). I go at 6 in the morning because any other time you're going to be waiting longer than you'll be lifting. Though the problem is less that the gym is lacking equipment, and more that the gym is shared by the entire university.

I hate waiting like 20 minutes for a treadmill at 11:30pm, if you even get a chance to sign up before it's all full.

User avatar
Thelaw23
Posts: 607
Joined: Mon Oct 19, 2015 8:23 pm

Re: Columbia students taking questions

Postby Thelaw23 » Thu Feb 23, 2017 1:52 pm

ugg wrote:
Bearlyalive wrote:
Thelaw23 wrote:I heard the gym is crappy.


Can confirm. Two olympic weight platforms, four squat racks, one power rack, and a million people trying to do squats. Also only two flat bench presses. Can't say much for the gym etiquette of a lot of people either (though that's probably true of any gym). I go at 6 in the morning because any other time you're going to be waiting longer than you'll be lifting. Though the problem is less that the gym is lacking equipment, and more that the gym is shared by the entire university.

I hate waiting like 20 minutes for a treadmill at 11:30pm, if you even get a chance to sign up before it's all full.



That's absolutely ridiculous...

User avatar
ugg
Posts: 10051
Joined: Mon Sep 29, 2014 9:30 pm

Re: Columbia students taking questions

Postby ugg » Thu Feb 23, 2017 1:53 pm

It's annoying to deal with but it's not entirely useless if you plan ahead. I don't have money to get a different membership so it will have to do.

User avatar
Bearlyalive
Posts: 911
Joined: Sat Nov 28, 2015 3:35 pm

Re: Columbia students taking questions

Postby Bearlyalive » Thu Feb 23, 2017 2:23 pm

Thelaw23 wrote:
Bearlyalive wrote:
Thelaw23 wrote:I heard the gym is crappy.


Can confirm. Two olympic weight platforms, four squat racks, one power rack, and a million people trying to do squats. Also only two flat bench presses. Can't say much for the gym etiquette of a lot of people either (though that's probably true of any gym). I go at 6 in the morning because any other time you're going to be waiting longer than you'll be lifting. Though the problem is less that the gym is lacking equipment, and more that the gym is shared by the entire university.


Do you recommend signing up for a gym nearby? I can't stand that. Like at all. Two bench presses for the whole university????


Also a broke law student who can't justify a membership at a nearby gym, so can't help you there. I just wake up early, which I've found manageable (hell, I don't even drink coffee). I do have a friend who takes the subway down to the Equinox on 76th street (I think).

But yeah it can be a bit of a wait. You can drag a dumbbell bench into the power rack though to make three, though the benches are usually on the total opposite side of the gym :lol:

Nebby wrote:


call in for further gym related questions

User avatar
Thelaw23
Posts: 607
Joined: Mon Oct 19, 2015 8:23 pm

Re: Columbia students taking questions

Postby Thelaw23 » Thu Feb 23, 2017 2:28 pm

This means one thing. Must save up money now to buy a one year gym membership near Morningside Heights.

I know exactly what's going to happen, I'm going to wake up late, get in the gym, be like WTF and leave disappointed and angry. Hopefully there are some 25 - 45 dollar a month gyms out there like in Brooklyn.
Last edited by Thelaw23 on Thu Feb 23, 2017 2:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Tiago Splitter
Posts: 16614
Joined: Tue Jun 28, 2011 1:20 am

Re: Columbia students taking questions

Postby Tiago Splitter » Thu Feb 23, 2017 2:30 pm

ugg wrote:It's annoying to deal with but it's not entirely useless if you plan ahead. I don't have money to get a different membership so it will have to do.

Yeah it works out ok. Main problem for me is that it's closed at various times during the day for PE classes. Like bottom floor for cardio will be closed for 2 hours then middle floor with weights will be closed 2 hours. PE teacher won't always kick you out but it's annoying either way. Once PE classes shut down around 4 it gets normal late afternoon/evening crowded. No PE on Friday though IIRC so you can usually get a decent workout in mid-day Friday, Saturday, Sunday.

User avatar
Tiago Splitter
Posts: 16614
Joined: Tue Jun 28, 2011 1:20 am

Re: Columbia students taking questions

Postby Tiago Splitter » Thu Feb 23, 2017 2:30 pm

Thelaw23 wrote:This means one thing. Must save up money now to buy a one year gym membership at Morningside Heights.

I know exactly what's going to happen, I'm going to wake up late, get in the gym, be like WTF and leave disappointed and angry. Hopefully there are some 25 - 45 dollar a month gyms out there like in Brooklyn.

If you can get one for below 100/month I'd be surprised. Like a real gym with more weight options than Columbia offers.




Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: whiteknight and 5 guests