Columbia students taking questions

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
User avatar
Nebby
amateur huffpo
Posts: 30120
Joined: Sat Feb 01, 2014 12:23 pm

Re: Columbia students taking questions

Postby Nebby » Mon Jul 24, 2017 6:43 pm

Thelaw23 wrote:I can go to the financial aid office and ask to increase my fed gov loan, right? I received my disclosure statement but I think I'm not receiving enough to cover my rent.

How fast are they usually able to process the loan adjustment and disburse the added amount?

A few weeks until it's in your account. Did you request the maximum amount?

User avatar
Thelaw23
Posts: 785
Joined: Mon Oct 19, 2015 8:23 pm

Re: Columbia students taking questions

Postby Thelaw23 » Wed Jul 26, 2017 8:53 am

Nebby wrote:
Thelaw23 wrote:I can go to the financial aid office and ask to increase my fed gov loan, right? I received my disclosure statement but I think I'm not receiving enough to cover my rent.

How fast are they usually able to process the loan adjustment and disburse the added amount?

A few weeks until it's in your account. Did you request the maximum amount?


The total academic year budget on Columbia Law's website is higher than the total amount of loans I'm getting. Their forecasted nine-month room amount of 1350 a month though :? :?

User avatar
Nebby
amateur huffpo
Posts: 30120
Joined: Sat Feb 01, 2014 12:23 pm

Re: Columbia students taking questions

Postby Nebby » Wed Jul 26, 2017 9:19 am

Thelaw23 wrote:
Nebby wrote:
Thelaw23 wrote:I can go to the financial aid office and ask to increase my fed gov loan, right? I received my disclosure statement but I think I'm not receiving enough to cover my rent.

How fast are they usually able to process the loan adjustment and disburse the added amount?

A few weeks until it's in your account. Did you request the maximum amount?


The total academic year budget on Columbia Law's website is higher than the total amount of loans I'm getting. Their forecasted nine-month room amount of 1350 a month though :? :?

You can borrow up to the total academic year budget

User avatar
Thelaw23
Posts: 785
Joined: Mon Oct 19, 2015 8:23 pm

Re: Columbia students taking questions

Postby Thelaw23 » Wed Jul 26, 2017 9:46 am

Nebby wrote:
Thelaw23 wrote:
Nebby wrote:
Thelaw23 wrote:I can go to the financial aid office and ask to increase my fed gov loan, right? I received my disclosure statement but I think I'm not receiving enough to cover my rent.

How fast are they usually able to process the loan adjustment and disburse the added amount?

A few weeks until it's in your account. Did you request the maximum amount?


The total academic year budget on Columbia Law's website is higher than the total amount of loans I'm getting. Their forecasted nine-month room amount of 1350 a month though :? :?

You can borrow up to the total academic year budget


But what about the loan fee amount? If you count that, it adds up to the total academic year budget. However, that amount isn't put towards anything written in the total academic year budget.

User avatar
Nebby
amateur huffpo
Posts: 30120
Joined: Sat Feb 01, 2014 12:23 pm

Re: Columbia students taking questions

Postby Nebby » Wed Jul 26, 2017 9:51 am

Thelaw23 wrote:
Nebby wrote:
Thelaw23 wrote:
Nebby wrote:
Thelaw23 wrote:I can go to the financial aid office and ask to increase my fed gov loan, right? I received my disclosure statement but I think I'm not receiving enough to cover my rent.

How fast are they usually able to process the loan adjustment and disburse the added amount?

A few weeks until it's in your account. Did you request the maximum amount?


The total academic year budget on Columbia Law's website is higher than the total amount of loans I'm getting. Their forecasted nine-month room amount of 1350 a month though :? :?

You can borrow up to the total academic year budget


But what about the loan fee amount? If you count that, it adds up to the total academic year budget. However, that amount isn't put towards anything written in the total academic year budget.

I would call them. I don't remember how they treat the fee amount but I thought it was baked into the total cost of attendance as it's own line item

User avatar
Thelaw23
Posts: 785
Joined: Mon Oct 19, 2015 8:23 pm

Re: Columbia students taking questions

Postby Thelaw23 » Wed Jul 26, 2017 10:12 am

Nebby wrote:
Thelaw23 wrote:
Nebby wrote:
Thelaw23 wrote:
Nebby wrote:
Thelaw23 wrote:I can go to the financial aid office and ask to increase my fed gov loan, right? I received my disclosure statement but I think I'm not receiving enough to cover my rent.

How fast are they usually able to process the loan adjustment and disburse the added amount?

A few weeks until it's in your account. Did you request the maximum amount?


The total academic year budget on Columbia Law's website is higher than the total amount of loans I'm getting. Their forecasted nine-month room amount of 1350 a month though :? :?

You can borrow up to the total academic year budget


But what about the loan fee amount? If you count that, it adds up to the total academic year budget. However, that amount isn't put towards anything written in the total academic year budget.

I would call them. I don't remember how they treat the fee amount but I thought it was baked into the total cost of attendance as it's own line item



Thanks. I called in and asked, and basically I can add the loan fee amount on top of the academic year budget if I need to.

student94
Posts: 1
Joined: Thu Jul 27, 2017 9:40 am

Re: Columbia students taking questions

Postby student94 » Thu Jul 27, 2017 9:45 am

Does anyone know what the selection timeline is for the Tony Patino Fellowship? I saw on their website that they have a day of interviews, but they never mention when that day is or when to expect to hear if you will be invited for that.

User avatar
Thelaw23
Posts: 785
Joined: Mon Oct 19, 2015 8:23 pm

Re: Columbia students taking questions

Postby Thelaw23 » Thu Jul 27, 2017 6:58 pm

How's the area around FDB and West 124th - West 126th street at night? Like 9pm - 11 pm? Was thinking about checking the gym out there but want the opportunity to be able to go late nights if needed.

jrc223
Posts: 144
Joined: Thu Jun 26, 2014 11:53 pm

Re: Columbia students taking questions

Postby jrc223 » Thu Jul 27, 2017 7:04 pm

Thelaw23 wrote:How's the area around FDB and West 124th - West 126th street at night? Like 9pm - 11 pm? Was thinking about checking the gym out there but want the opportunity to be able to go late nights if needed.


Kind of sketch tbh -- if you're gonna go late, I'd go with a friend

User avatar
Thelaw23
Posts: 785
Joined: Mon Oct 19, 2015 8:23 pm

Re: Columbia students taking questions

Postby Thelaw23 » Thu Jul 27, 2017 7:09 pm

jrc223 wrote:
Thelaw23 wrote:How's the area around FDB and West 124th - West 126th street at night? Like 9pm - 11 pm? Was thinking about checking the gym out there but want the opportunity to be able to go late nights if needed.


Kind of sketch tbh -- if you're gonna go late, I'd go with a friend


Hmm
Gotcha. No other gyms really close by, other than NySC on west 96th but you gotta take the train to it. Maybe I'll just try get all my workouts in before 8 pm

User avatar
Nebby
amateur huffpo
Posts: 30120
Joined: Sat Feb 01, 2014 12:23 pm

Re: Columbia students taking questions

Postby Nebby » Thu Jul 27, 2017 7:10 pm

Thelaw23 wrote:
jrc223 wrote:
Thelaw23 wrote:How's the area around FDB and West 124th - West 126th street at night? Like 9pm - 11 pm? Was thinking about checking the gym out there but want the opportunity to be able to go late nights if needed.


Kind of sketch tbh -- if you're gonna go late, I'd go with a friend


Hmm
Gotcha. No other gyms really close by, other than NySC on west 96th but you gotta take the train to it. Maybe I'll just try get all my workouts in before 8 pm


It's not sketch. FDB and 125th is like the center of gentrification in Harlem.

anonymous117
Posts: 148
Joined: Sun Jan 17, 2016 5:50 pm

Re: Columbia students taking questions

Postby anonymous117 » Thu Jul 27, 2017 8:07 pm

Thelaw23 wrote:
jrc223 wrote:
Thelaw23 wrote:How's the area around FDB and West 124th - West 126th street at night? Like 9pm - 11 pm? Was thinking about checking the gym out there but want the opportunity to be able to go late nights if needed.


Kind of sketch tbh -- if you're gonna go late, I'd go with a friend


Hmm
Gotcha. No other gyms really close by, other than NySC on west 96th but you gotta take the train to it. Maybe I'll just try get all my workouts in before 8 pm


96th isn't that far. It's like less than a mile, so a quick walk or run down there. I tend to walk everywhere, but it's definitely within my "close enough to walk instead of train" radius. Plus, I've felt safe with that walk at any time of day.

As for 125th and FDB, I would feel fine there at night (and I'm a 5 foot tall woman), but I personally don't like walking through Morningside Park at night. I would feel comfortable taking the long route around to avoid the park though. It's like any other part of the city. Just be aware of your surroundings and you'll more than likely be fine.

jrc223
Posts: 144
Joined: Thu Jun 26, 2014 11:53 pm

Re: Columbia students taking questions

Postby jrc223 » Thu Jul 27, 2017 8:45 pm

Nebby wrote:
Thelaw23 wrote:
jrc223 wrote:
Thelaw23 wrote:How's the area around FDB and West 124th - West 126th street at night? Like 9pm - 11 pm? Was thinking about checking the gym out there but want the opportunity to be able to go late nights if needed.


Kind of sketch tbh -- if you're gonna go late, I'd go with a friend


Hmm
Gotcha. No other gyms really close by, other than NySC on west 96th but you gotta take the train to it. Maybe I'll just try get all my workouts in before 8 pm


It's not sketch. FDB and 125th is like the center of gentrification in Harlem.


The walk to and from FDB and 125th is sketch to me, but clearly ymmv

texcellence
Posts: 170
Joined: Fri Sep 18, 2015 2:05 pm

Re: Columbia students taking questions

Postby texcellence » Fri Jul 28, 2017 2:33 pm

Thelaw23 wrote:How's the area around FDB and West 124th - West 126th street at night? Like 9pm - 11 pm? Was thinking about checking the gym out there but want the opportunity to be able to go late nights if needed.


not sketch IMO, nebby is correct re primo gentrification. just don't be a bozo and walk at night while wearing headphones and looking down at your phone.

GoneSouth
Posts: 309
Joined: Tue Jan 20, 2015 10:00 am

Re: Columbia students taking questions

Postby GoneSouth » Sat Jul 29, 2017 9:19 pm

Depending on where you live and the route you take, the walk there and back can be a lot of empty streets at night and you're walking pretty close to the housing projects where like 100 gang members got arrested a couple years ago. Maybe sketch isn't the right word, and I do the walk back from the ACBD station there at all hours, but I can see some people being uncomfortable.

User avatar
Nebby
amateur huffpo
Posts: 30120
Joined: Sat Feb 01, 2014 12:23 pm

Re: Columbia students taking questions

Postby Nebby » Sat Jul 29, 2017 9:35 pm

GoneSouth wrote:Depending on where you live and the route you take, the walk there and back can be a lot of empty streets at night and you're walking pretty close to the housing projects where like 100 gang members got arrested a couple years ago. Maybe sketch isn't the right word, and I do the walk back from the ACBD station there at all hours, but I can see some people being uncomfortable.

Those are on 128th and it was 40 arrested

User avatar
Nebby
amateur huffpo
Posts: 30120
Joined: Sat Feb 01, 2014 12:23 pm

Re: Columbia students taking questions

Postby Nebby » Sat Jul 29, 2017 9:37 pm

Harlem as a "sketch" place is an unfair characterization ingrained into people that live in Morningside Heights. I've ranted about this before so I'll save it this time

User avatar
Nebby
amateur huffpo
Posts: 30120
Joined: Sat Feb 01, 2014 12:23 pm

Re: Columbia students taking questions

Postby Nebby » Sat Jul 29, 2017 9:47 pm

Also, what's wrong with Dodge? It's not that bad so long as you don't go between 5pm to 7pm. Even then, just get huge and tell people you're working in with them :mrgreen:

User avatar
Thelaw23
Posts: 785
Joined: Mon Oct 19, 2015 8:23 pm

Re: Columbia students taking questions

Postby Thelaw23 » Sun Jul 30, 2017 7:06 am

Nebby wrote:Also, what's wrong with Dodge? It's not that bad so long as you don't go between 5pm to 7pm. Even then, just get huge and tell people you're working in with them :mrgreen:


I'm planning on trying out Dodge, it's literally a block from me, but I'm moving in tomorrow and I can't use it until we get our ids during orientation the 14th :x

I'm really skeptical, though. Dodge works only from 12-5 on Saturday :? D

I'm also on W120 and Amsterdam so my path to w125 would be up Amsterdam five blocks and then a few more to FDB

GoneSouth
Posts: 309
Joined: Tue Jan 20, 2015 10:00 am

Re: Columbia students taking questions

Postby GoneSouth » Sun Jul 30, 2017 7:36 am

Nebby wrote:
GoneSouth wrote:Depending on where you live and the route you take, the walk there and back can be a lot of empty streets at night and you're walking pretty close to the housing projects where like 100 gang members got arrested a couple years ago. Maybe sketch isn't the right word, and I do the walk back from the ACBD station there at all hours, but I can see some people being uncomfortable.

Those are on 128th and it was 40 arrested


Wrong. The Grant Houses were part of the raid and those are at 123 and Amsterdam, right on the route back.

GoneSouth
Posts: 309
Joined: Tue Jan 20, 2015 10:00 am

Re: Columbia students taking questions

Postby GoneSouth » Sun Jul 30, 2017 7:42 am

Thelaw23 wrote:
Nebby wrote:Also, what's wrong with Dodge? It's not that bad so long as you don't go between 5pm to 7pm. Even then, just get huge and tell people you're working in with them :mrgreen:


I'm planning on trying out Dodge, it's literally a block from me, but I'm moving in tomorrow and I can't use it until we get our ids during orientation the 14th :x

I'm really skeptical, though. Dodge works only from 12-5 on Saturday :? D

I'm also on W120 and Amsterdam so my path to w125 would be up Amsterdam five blocks and then a few more to FDB


You can always hop on the M60 bus a couple stops if it's late and you don't want to do the walk.

User avatar
Thelaw23
Posts: 785
Joined: Mon Oct 19, 2015 8:23 pm

Re: Columbia students taking questions

Postby Thelaw23 » Sun Jul 30, 2017 9:55 am

GoneSouth wrote:
Thelaw23 wrote:
Nebby wrote:Also, what's wrong with Dodge? It's not that bad so long as you don't go between 5pm to 7pm. Even then, just get huge and tell people you're working in with them :mrgreen:


I'm planning on trying out Dodge, it's literally a block from me, but I'm moving in tomorrow and I can't use it until we get our ids during orientation the 14th :x

I'm really skeptical, though. Dodge works only from 12-5 on Saturday :? D

I'm also on W120 and Amsterdam so my path to w125 would be up Amsterdam five blocks and then a few more to FDB


You can always hop on the M60 bus a couple stops if it's late and you don't want to do the walk.



Welp, problem solved.

jpark86
Posts: 81
Joined: Wed Oct 19, 2016 11:12 pm

Re: Columbia students taking questions

Postby jpark86 » Fri Aug 04, 2017 9:17 am

So I understand that we don't get our class schedules until orientatio, but typically, are there set courses that each student takes specifically in the fall semester vs. spring semester regardless of section? On the admitted students website it states that 1Ls take Civ Pro, Contracts and Torts during fall but looking through the course offerings on the website, I see Con Law and Property offered also... how can we figure out what subjects we would be taking?

User avatar
White Dwarf
Posts: 271
Joined: Wed Mar 18, 2015 7:54 pm

Re: Columbia students taking questions

Postby White Dwarf » Fri Aug 04, 2017 9:47 am

jpark86 wrote:So I understand that we don't get our class schedules until orientation, but typically, are there set courses that each student takes specifically in the fall semester vs. spring semester regardless of section? On the admitted students website it states that 1Ls take Civ Pro, Contracts and Torts during fall but looking through the course offerings on the website, I see Con Law and Property offered also... how can we figure out what subjects we would be taking?

It varies. I think all 1Ls take Civ Pro in the fall and Crim in the spring, but Torts/Contracts/Property/Constitutional law vary depending on your section.

There's no way to know for sure until you get your schedule. But, going off of the course listings, it looks like most incoming 1Ls will get Contracts in the fall, Property in the spring, and be split 50/50 between Con Law and Torts each semester.

User avatar
Nebby
amateur huffpo
Posts: 30120
Joined: Sat Feb 01, 2014 12:23 pm

Re: Columbia students taking questions

Postby Nebby » Fri Aug 04, 2017 10:12 am

Jackson is the frontrunner for the open Dem spot on the SEC.




Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: valkilmer and 5 guests