Columbia students taking questions Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
Sgt Pepper

New

Re: Columbia 1L(s) taking questions

Post by Sgt Pepper » Wed Jul 23, 2014 5:26 pm

starrydreamz3 wrote:
Sgt Pepper wrote:Have any older students successfully received credit for a legal internship during the course of the year? If so, how much credit is usually awarded? Is there is an obvious place on LawNet or something that points to this info?
I'm doing a legal internship with a judge next semester and I'm getting 4 credits for it. (3 experiential and 1 for a once a week night seminar I have to take for the program). Anecdotally I know people who are interning with the SEC next semester who are also getting credit, they just needed to organize the internship themselves and get a Professor to oversee them (and maybe they need to write some sort of paper).

The judicial internship programs are well set and I'd assume the info is somewhere on lawnet. If you're a 0L, you'll get plenty of info on it your spring semester.
I'm about to be a 2L and am attempting to swing a Business & Legal Affairs internship at a record label...hopefully the school will count it or I will have quite the busy schedule.

I just realized that I am a 2L in the "1Ls taking questions" thread haha, but I suppose there is no better thread for such questions

iamgeorgebush

Silver

Post by iamgeorgebush » Wed Jul 23, 2014 6:49 pm

Sgt Pepper wrote:
starrydreamz3 wrote:
Sgt Pepper wrote:Have any older students successfully received credit for a legal internship during the course of the year? If so, how much credit is usually awarded? Is there is an obvious place on LawNet or something that points to this info?
I'm doing a legal internship with a judge next semester and I'm getting 4 credits for it. (3 experiential and 1 for a once a week night seminar I have to take for the program). Anecdotally I know people who are interning with the SEC next semester who are also getting credit, they just needed to organize the internship themselves and get a Professor to oversee them (and maybe they need to write some sort of paper).

The judicial internship programs are well set and I'd assume the info is somewhere on lawnet. If you're a 0L, you'll get plenty of info on it your spring semester.
I'm about to be a 2L and am attempting to swing a Business & Legal Affairs internship at a record label...hopefully the school will count it or I will have quite the busy schedule.

I just realized that I am a 2L in the "1Ls taking questions" thread haha, but I suppose there is no better thread for such questions
This thread is mostly just "CLS students asking one other questions" at this point anyway, right?

jbagelboy

Diamond

Post by jbagelboy » Wed Jul 23, 2014 7:11 pm

iamgeorgebush wrote:
Sgt Pepper wrote:
starrydreamz3 wrote:

This thread is mostly just "CLS students asking one other questions" at this point anyway, right?
considering the 1Ls who started this thread graduated in May, yea, I'd say it's a little beyond 1Ls taking Q's

toothbrush

Gold

Post by toothbrush » Wed Jul 23, 2014 7:18 pm

So you guys have been super helpful to me so far. Can we continue this discussion about how to "play" with scheduling so it's not quite like 1L? I don't really want to sit in all lectures everyday of the week with 4 finals and a few papers each semester. How does it work, what an above poster mentioned, about getting course credit by doing experiential work?

JVK

Bronze

Post by JVK » Wed Jul 23, 2014 7:31 pm

tlsapp2017 wrote:I can't find the Course Evaluations tab on LawNet - do rising 1L's not receive access until Orientation?
I'd be surprised if you didn't have access.

I went ahead and screenshotted it:
http://i.imgur.com/Yx4P84r.png
It's on the far upper right, under "Course Evaluation Reports".

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

tlsapp2017

Bronze

Post by tlsapp2017 » Wed Jul 23, 2014 8:26 pm

JVK wrote:
tlsapp2017 wrote:I can't find the Course Evaluations tab on LawNet - do rising 1L's not receive access until Orientation?

Wow, I don't have the vast majority of those tabs/links. My only options are Change Password, Student Directory, Faculty/Staff Directory, and Forums. Do other 1L's also not have much on LawNet, or is there something wrong with my account?

Tiago Splitter

Diamond

Post by Tiago Splitter » Wed Jul 23, 2014 8:28 pm

Nah dude they add and remove stuff as needed. You'll be able to read the reviews on your first semester profs when you get your schedule, but that's not going to help much given that you have no choice.

For those looking for ways to avoid classes as a 2L consider being a moot court TA. Gets your major writing credit out of the way and it's several fairly pain-free credits across two semesters.

JVK

Bronze

Post by JVK » Wed Jul 23, 2014 8:31 pm

tlsapp2017 wrote:
JVK wrote:

Wow, I don't have the vast majority of those tabs/links. My only options are Change Password, Student Directory, Faculty/Staff Directory, and Forums. Do other 1L's also not have much on LawNet, or is there something wrong with my account?
Oh, you're an incoming 1L? Maybe nothing's wrong, then! I assumed you were a transfer, for no good reason.

You won't know your professors until Orientation, and you won't have a choice over any during fall semester. If you're curious about someone specific, though, feel free to ask, and you'll have plenty of time during Legal Methods to talk to "upperclassmen" about whoever you've got and how to approach that particular professor's class (if you do want to... not that that's absolutely necessary, but for basically whatever value the course evals would have for you, talking to a student's better).

Also, Legal Methods is great. You have a lot to look forward to.

tail14

New

Post by tail14 » Wed Jul 23, 2014 11:08 pm

I have two questions:

1) What is the visitation policy for housing options like Lenfest and Lionsgate? I heard that that security officers in Columbia Housing write down the information of one's visitors and only allow a certain amount of visitations per month.

2) What are the good, affordable grocery stores near campus?
Last edited by tail14 on Wed Jul 23, 2014 11:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

papercut

Silver

Post by papercut » Wed Jul 23, 2014 11:13 pm

tail14 wrote:I have two questions:

1) What is the visitation policy for law school housing options like Lenfest and Lionsgate? I heard that that security officers in Columbia Housing write down the information of one's visitors and only allow a certain amount of visitations per month.

2) What are the good, affordable grocery stores near campus that students usually go to?
Wtf?

moopness

Bronze

Post by moopness » Thu Jul 24, 2014 1:11 am

Does the law school gym (that's a thing, right?) have a basketball court?

runthetrap

Bronze

Post by runthetrap » Thu Jul 24, 2014 5:25 am

moopness wrote:Does the law school gym (that's a thing, right?) have a basketball court?
pretty sure we just use the stanky the dodge fitness center, which is open to all of CU, so yes there's a bball court

JVK

Bronze

Post by JVK » Thu Jul 24, 2014 6:56 am

runthetrap wrote:
moopness wrote:Does the law school gym (that's a thing, right?) have a basketball court?
pretty sure we just use the stanky the dodge fitness center, which is open to all of CU, so yes there's a bball court
Yeah, there're some indoor basketball courts there.

There's also an outside set in Morningside Park, a minute or two awah from the law school.
I have two questions:

1) What is the visitation policy for housing options like Lenfest and Lionsgate? I heard that that security officers in Columbia Housing write down the information of one's visitors and only allow a certain amount of visitations per month.

I've visited Lenfest on countless occasions, such that the front desk people recognized me instantly, and have never once been recorded. You might have a problem if you brought a ton of people up at once, but they wouldn't record their names even then (I've heard about them rebuking people for this but just be tactful... bring a couple up at a time, or whatever else). Lionsgate doesn't seem to care at all.

If someone living there sees this, please do correct me or elaborate on this, but ^'s my impression.

In Lenfest, visitors won't be able to get through the front door though without someone else opening it/you buzzing them in.

Grocery stores - there're a couple very close by, from Morton Williams on Broadway/115th, Appletree on Amsterdam/119th, and a couple toward 111th/112th, a Korean one (M2M on Amsterdam/114th), etc.. They're all slightly expensive but carry most things.

The best option's Trader Joe's, which is right off the 72nd St. subway stopon the same 1 line that connnects to the Columbia stop. It's worth the subway fare in terms of discounts and things offered.

There's also a Costco in east Harlem, if you know someone with a card, but you can take a bus directly east of campus and cab back with your groceries. It's a fixed fare for the cab back, I think something like $12-14, so if you have 3-4 people going and can split it that's nothing.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

moopness

Bronze

Post by moopness » Thu Jul 24, 2014 1:15 pm

Also, how many books should one expect to lug around as a 1L? I understand that we'll have lockers, so if we plan on doing most of our studying in the library would we still need a large backpack to carry everything around? I haven't had to wear a backpack since freshman year of high school :/

scoobysnax

Bronze

Post by scoobysnax » Thu Jul 24, 2014 2:48 pm

Sorry if this is a silly question, but looking at potential future summer job applications, a lot of them ask for a writing sample. What kind of writing samples are we supposed to submit? I've normally submitted past papers, but I was under the impression we don't have any during 1L.

moonman157

Silver

Post by moonman157 » Thu Jul 24, 2014 2:49 pm

scoobysnax wrote:Sorry if this is a silly question, but looking at potential future summer job applications, a lot of them ask for a writing sample. What kind of writing samples are we supposed to submit? I've normally submitted past papers, but I was under the impression we don't have any during 1L.
The memo you write for LPW is what most people use, I believe

JVK

Bronze

Post by JVK » Thu Jul 24, 2014 2:56 pm

moopness wrote:Also, how many books should one expect to lug around as a 1L? I understand that we'll have lockers, so if we plan on doing most of our studying in the library would we still need a large backpack to carry everything around? I haven't had to wear a backpack since freshman year of high school :/
It helps. Case books are pretty thick. They'll give you a backpack at Orientation, though, and it's actually pretty decent (mine was able to fit all my case books at once + a laptop/power cord, if I ever needed it to).

You'll have three classes during the fall and four in the spring. If your classes are back-to-back, they'll be 10 minutes apart, which is more than enough to use your locker in between. If you live very close to campus (i.e. 115th St., I doubt you'll want to walk back and forth any farther than that), it's even easier, if you mean to go back to your apartment to cook lunch/grab books or something like that.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

moopness

Bronze

Post by moopness » Thu Jul 24, 2014 3:27 pm

JVK wrote:
moopness wrote:Also, how many books should one expect to lug around as a 1L? I understand that we'll have lockers, so if we plan on doing most of our studying in the library would we still need a large backpack to carry everything around? I haven't had to wear a backpack since freshman year of high school :/
It helps. Case books are pretty thick. They'll give you a backpack at Orientation, though, and it's actually pretty decent (mine was able to fit all my case books at once + a laptop/power cord, if I ever needed it to).

You'll have three classes during the fall and four in the spring. If your classes are back-to-back, they'll be 10 minutes apart, which is more than enough to use your locker in between. If you live very close to campus (i.e. 115th St., I doubt you'll want to walk back and forth any farther than that), it's even easier, if you mean to go back to your apartment to cook lunch/grab books or something like that.
Sweet, thanks!

scoobysnax

Bronze

Post by scoobysnax » Thu Jul 24, 2014 3:32 pm

moonman157 wrote:
scoobysnax wrote:Sorry if this is a silly question, but looking at potential future summer job applications, a lot of them ask for a writing sample. What kind of writing samples are we supposed to submit? I've normally submitted past papers, but I was under the impression we don't have any during 1L.
The memo you write for LPW is what most people use, I believe
thanks, good to know!

mylifeis24

Bronze

Post by mylifeis24 » Thu Jul 24, 2014 5:01 pm

JVK wrote:
They'll give you a backpack at Orientation
I stopped reading after that.

Monochromatic Oeuvre

Gold

Post by Monochromatic Oeuvre » Thu Jul 24, 2014 6:49 pm

tail14 wrote:I have two questions:

1. No idea where you got that from. I lived in Lenfest and never experienced anything like that. Only problem I had with security was that some of them were real assholes when I got locked out.

2. None of them are good, affordable and close. Morton Williams is the most convenient (right across campus). It's sort of pricey and is fairly meh. Westside is close enough and has the best selection in the area but will also dent your checkbook. As I've said before, I disagree with other people on Trader Joe's--don't think it's worth it. Whatever savings you get, it costs you five extra bucks and 45 minutes that you really, really don't have during 1L.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

MCFC

Platinum

Post by MCFC » Thu Jul 24, 2014 10:26 pm

Monochromatic Oeuvre wrote:
1. No idea where you got that from. I lived in Lenfest and never experienced anything like that. Only problem I had with security was that some of them were real assholes when I got locked out.

2. None of them are good, affordable and close. Morton Williams is the most convenient (right across campus). It's sort of pricey and is fairly meh. Westside is close enough and has the best selection in the area but will also dent your checkbook. As I've said before, I disagree with other people on Trader Joe's--don't think it's worth it. Whatever savings you get, it costs you five extra bucks and 45 minutes that you really, really don't have during 1L.
I'm a Trader Joe's apologist, so feel free to discount this opinion, but I think that overstates the length of the trip by ~15 min. Alternately, if you take the bus down and the subway back up, it's only 2.50.

The Fairway at 132nd street also probably deserves a mention; I know a few people who like it, but I never had a great experience there personally.

scoobysnax

Bronze

Post by scoobysnax » Sun Jul 27, 2014 7:05 pm

banjo wrote: You can take care of everything at one time. Just let UAH and the superintendent of your building know in advance so that everything is ready for you when you arrive.

Do you have a friend/spouse moving with you? If so, she can sit in the driver's seat while you stand. If you are coming alone, you might consider showing up at 11 am (the usual start time for street cleaning around Columbia) on Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, or Friday, waiting for all the cars on one side to move, finding a spot right in front of your building, and waiting until 12:30 for street cleaning to end. You then have that spot until the next street cleaning day. You should check the street cleaning schedule before you arrive though, just to make sure this plan will actually work.
Are there other options for overnight parking? My family is helping me move in and plan on staying the night before driving back home the next day.

banjo

Silver

Post by banjo » Sun Jul 27, 2014 10:45 pm

scoobysnax wrote:
banjo wrote: You can take care of everything at one time. Just let UAH and the superintendent of your building know in advance so that everything is ready for you when you arrive.

Do you have a friend/spouse moving with you? If so, she can sit in the driver's seat while you stand. If you are coming alone, you might consider showing up at 11 am (the usual start time for street cleaning around Columbia) on Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, or Friday, waiting for all the cars on one side to move, finding a spot right in front of your building, and waiting until 12:30 for street cleaning to end. You then have that spot until the next street cleaning day. You should check the street cleaning schedule before you arrive though, just to make sure this plan will actually work.
Are there other options for overnight parking? My family is helping me move in and plan on staying the night before driving back home the next day.
Definitely. The law school is located on 116th Street between Amsterdam Avenue and Morningside Drive. I can usually find a spot along Morningside Drive. Sometimes I look for spots on the cross streets between Amsterdam and Morningside--116th, 118th, 120th, and so on. Street parking in NYC is usually free, but it's not for everyone--you have to be aware of street cleaning times, fire hydrants, driveways, bus stops, doctor spaces, crosswalks, metered areas, and other ridiculous restrictions. Thankfully, there are also parking garages around campus: http://www.columbia.edu/about_columbia/parking.html.

toothbrush

Gold

Post by toothbrush » Mon Jul 28, 2014 9:46 am

Will not doing a journal screw me in any way? For OCI or anything?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”