Columbia students taking questions

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
GoneSouth
Posts: 309
Joined: Tue Jan 20, 2015 10:00 am

Re: Columbia students taking questions

Postby GoneSouth » Sun Feb 05, 2017 10:34 am

wheathins wrote:Those of you who chose CLS over HLS, do you have any regrets? If you could choose again, still CLS?


Didn't do this myself, but I know two people who picked CLS over HLS because they wanted to be in New York and neither of them regret it

BrainsyK
Posts: 51
Joined: Mon Jul 18, 2016 5:37 am

Re: Columbia students taking questions

Postby BrainsyK » Sun Feb 05, 2017 2:31 pm

As a Canadian, how much of the tax return do I have to submit to Columbia? I asked my parents, and they gave me this one sheet of paper called a "Notice of Assessment" and said basically that's all they get after filing, but the requirement for Columbia seems to ask for all kinds of things...

User avatar
benwyatt
Posts: 5941
Joined: Tue Jun 09, 2015 2:38 pm

Re: Columbia students taking questions

Postby benwyatt » Sun Feb 05, 2017 2:34 pm

BrainsyK wrote:As a Canadian, how much of the tax return do I have to submit to Columbia? I asked my parents, and they gave me this one sheet of paper called a "Notice of Assessment" and said basically that's all they get after filing, but the requirement for Columbia seems to ask for all kinds of things...

This seems like a question you'd be better off just asking financial aid.

BrainsyK
Posts: 51
Joined: Mon Jul 18, 2016 5:37 am

Re: Columbia students taking questions

Postby BrainsyK » Sun Feb 05, 2017 2:38 pm

benwyatt wrote: This seems like a question you'd be better off just asking financial aid.


They said "submit whatever form of tax returns you have." It just seems weird submitting 1 page with ~10 lines on it when they so specific about having so much information on the website.

User avatar
RSN
Posts: 961
Joined: Tue Aug 19, 2014 9:32 pm

Re: Columbia students taking questions

Postby RSN » Sun Feb 05, 2017 2:55 pm

wheathins wrote:Those of you who chose CLS over HLS, do you have any regrets? If you could choose again, still CLS?


No, and yes, in that order. If you have a Hamilton it's an absolute no-brainer. If you have a Butler it's a little closer of a question, but I'd still go to CLS.

User avatar
TAD
Posts: 344
Joined: Sun May 15, 2016 11:40 pm

Re: Columbia students taking questions

Postby TAD » Sun Feb 05, 2017 2:58 pm

BrainsyK wrote:
They said "submit whatever form of tax returns you have." It just seems weird submitting 1 page with ~10 lines on it when they so specific about having so much information on the website.


I'm pretty sure that is all we have to submit. Canadian also, and I was digging through mine and my parents' tax returns and all we have is the notice of assessment - so that is all I am sending.

BrainsyK
Posts: 51
Joined: Mon Jul 18, 2016 5:37 am

Re: Columbia students taking questions

Postby BrainsyK » Sun Feb 05, 2017 3:11 pm

TAD wrote: I'm pretty sure that is all we have to submit. Canadian also, and I was digging through mine and my parents' tax returns and all we have is the notice of assessment - so that is all I am sending.


Thank you very much!

User avatar
FastRun
Posts: 48
Joined: Thu Sep 24, 2015 3:59 pm

Re: Columbia students taking questions

Postby FastRun » Sun Feb 05, 2017 3:56 pm

wheathins wrote:Those of you who chose CLS over HLS, do you have any regrets? If you could choose again, still CLS?


I agree with the posters above. The only thing I'd add is that a good chunk of the HLS/CLS choice comes down to career objectives. If you want to do generic Biglaw, work for a state/local DA or public defender, work any number of moderately prestigious government or policy/nonprofit jobs, etc., then I think CLS is an easy choice if you have aid at the Butler level or above. For almost everyone, the marginally more difficult job market coming out of CLS versus HLS will be a considerably smaller burden than the opportunity cost of an additional $100k in debt. The only situation in which HLS might still make sense is if you are dead-set on academia and/or certain unicorn PI and government jobs, like the ACLU or the DoJ Honors Program. But really, if you want the best shot at those goals, go to Yale. And if you didn't get in to Yale (and honestly, even if you did), reflect carefully on what a quarter million dollars in debt will mean for your life plan, and how you will handle that financial constraint if it comes to pass that you don't get the unicorn job you want.

Edit to actually answer the question: I chose CLS with Hamilton over HLS/SLS with maybe 30% grant aid. I have no regrets, would make the same decision again for sure.

wheathins
Posts: 55
Joined: Sun Jan 15, 2017 5:27 pm

Re: Columbia students taking questions

Postby wheathins » Sun Feb 05, 2017 6:41 pm

.
Last edited by wheathins on Fri Feb 10, 2017 7:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

GoneSouth
Posts: 309
Joined: Tue Jan 20, 2015 10:00 am

Re: Columbia students taking questions

Postby GoneSouth » Tue Feb 07, 2017 11:03 am

To be fair, I'm sure if you asked Harvard students the same question you'd get the same answer.

User avatar
FastRun
Posts: 48
Joined: Thu Sep 24, 2015 3:59 pm

Re: Columbia students taking questions

Postby FastRun » Tue Feb 07, 2017 5:30 pm

GoneSouth wrote:To be fair, I'm sure if you asked Harvard students the same question you'd get the same answer.


That's probably true in general. But, I suspect that you could find a good chunk of HYS grads who went to those schools at full price instead of CCN schools with significant aid, and who would at least seriously consider the CCN+aid option once they face the reality of their debt payments. It would be an interesting question to explore empirically.

mmestik
Posts: 29
Joined: Thu Dec 01, 2016 2:33 am

Re: Columbia students taking questions

Postby mmestik » Thu Feb 09, 2017 7:53 pm

Is it possible to receive further aid after receiving a Butler? The half tuition is fantastic, but a little more aid would go a long way to helping me make a decision. Thanks!

User avatar
Hildegard15
Posts: 2158
Joined: Wed Aug 05, 2015 6:26 pm

Re: Columbia students taking questions

Postby Hildegard15 » Thu Feb 09, 2017 8:34 pm

FastRun wrote:
GoneSouth wrote:To be fair, I'm sure if you asked Harvard students the same question you'd get the same answer.


That's probably true in general. But, I suspect that you could find a good chunk of HYS grads who went to those schools at full price instead of CCN schools with significant aid, and who would at least seriously consider the CCN+aid option once they face the reality of their debt payments. It would be an interesting question to explore empirically.


I'm an HLS 1L who gave up a Butler and honestly I question whether I made the right choice about once a week. Especially since I loved my visit to CLS so much. Just so 0Ls know, the regret can go both ways.

bluefox
Posts: 4
Joined: Mon Feb 13, 2017 12:32 pm

Re: Columbia students taking questions

Postby bluefox » Mon Feb 13, 2017 12:34 pm

I am starting CLS this fall and am married with a daughter on the way (due in June). Looking at housing options, the Arbor seems like the best bet for someone in my situation, but TLS seems pretty down on it. Anyone know someone in a similar situation and what was best for them? Any advice is appreciated.

wheathins
Posts: 55
Joined: Sun Jan 15, 2017 5:27 pm

Re: Columbia students taking questions

Postby wheathins » Wed Feb 15, 2017 3:57 am

.
Last edited by wheathins on Mon Feb 20, 2017 7:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

wheathins
Posts: 55
Joined: Sun Jan 15, 2017 5:27 pm

Re: Columbia students taking questions

Postby wheathins » Wed Feb 15, 2017 3:58 am

.
Last edited by wheathins on Mon Feb 20, 2017 7:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Kummel
Posts: 3416
Joined: Fri Oct 03, 2014 11:55 pm

Re: Columbia students taking questions

Postby Kummel » Wed Feb 15, 2017 10:07 am

bluefox wrote:I am starting CLS this fall and am married with a daughter on the way (due in June). Looking at housing options, the Arbor seems like the best bet for someone in my situation, but TLS seems pretty down on it. Anyone know someone in a similar situation and what was best for them? Any advice is appreciated.


Not in your family situation but will stress that the Arbor is a pretty shitty option. Especially if you have a family that commute is going to suck. Does your spouse have a job in NYC? Quite a few married people live where's most convenient for their spouse.

User avatar
Hildegard15
Posts: 2158
Joined: Wed Aug 05, 2015 6:26 pm

Re: Columbia students taking questions

Postby Hildegard15 » Wed Feb 15, 2017 12:02 pm

wheathins wrote:
What precipitates your once-a-week questioning? So many people would kill to be in your shoes!


The money is a big part of it. I turned down a substantial scholarship at CLS for a minuscule difference in hiring outcomes and probably no difference in educational quality. Plus the longer I spend in law school the more I realize the ways in which HLS is better for job outcomes will probably not end up applying to me (academia, impact litigation, etc).

Don't get me wrong, I love HLS. My classmates are wonderful, I get to be involved in a lot of cool activities, and the professors are incredibly accomplished. But would I have liked CLS any less? I doubt it. To be perfectly frank, the whole "If I turn down HLS I'll always wonder what my life would have been like" weighed heavily on my mind when I was deciding. I knew at the time that it was silly to think that way but I couldn't get it out of my head.

I'm not sure if I could go back that I would choose differently. But I just thought I'd let 0Ls know my take on it, so I hope this helps. Good luck the rest of this cycle!!

User avatar
jbagelboy
Posts: 10179
Joined: Thu Nov 29, 2012 7:57 pm

Re: Columbia students taking questions

Postby jbagelboy » Wed Feb 15, 2017 1:57 pm

Hildegard15 wrote:
wheathins wrote:
What precipitates your once-a-week questioning? So many people would kill to be in your shoes!


The money is a big part of it. I turned down a substantial scholarship at CLS for a minuscule difference in hiring outcomes and probably no difference in educational quality. Plus the longer I spend in law school the more I realize the ways in which HLS is better for job outcomes will probably not end up applying to me (academia, impact litigation, etc).

Don't get me wrong, I love HLS. My classmates are wonderful, I get to be involved in a lot of cool activities, and the professors are incredibly accomplished. But would I have liked CLS any less? I doubt it. To be perfectly frank, the whole "If I turn down HLS I'll always wonder what my life would have been like" weighed heavily on my mind when I was deciding. I knew at the time that it was silly to think that way but I couldn't get it out of my head.

I'm not sure if I could go back that I would choose differently. But I just thought I'd let 0Ls know my take on it, so I hope this helps. Good luck the rest of this cycle!!


right; whether "so many people would kill to be in your shoes" as a general matter is irrelevant, because "so many people would kill to be in your shoes" as a CLS student or other top law school student as well--the same argument applies. This is a relative choice between good options

User avatar
RSN
Posts: 961
Joined: Tue Aug 19, 2014 9:32 pm

Re: Columbia students taking questions

Postby RSN » Wed Feb 15, 2017 10:48 pm

bluefox wrote:I am starting CLS this fall and am married with a daughter on the way (due in June). Looking at housing options, the Arbor seems like the best bet for someone in my situation, but TLS seems pretty down on it. Anyone know someone in a similar situation and what was best for them? Any advice is appreciated.


I know a guy living in an apartment at 420 W 116th (across the street from the law school) with his wife and a 1-year-old and they like it as far as I know.

kingpin101
Posts: 319
Joined: Tue Dec 20, 2011 5:24 pm

Re: Columbia students taking questions

Postby kingpin101 » Wed Feb 15, 2017 11:15 pm

Hildegard15 wrote:
wheathins wrote:
What precipitates your once-a-week questioning? So many people would kill to be in your shoes!


The money is a big part of it. I turned down a substantial scholarship at CLS for a minuscule difference in hiring outcomes and probably no difference in educational quality. Plus the longer I spend in law school the more I realize the ways in which HLS is better for job outcomes will probably not end up applying to me (academia, impact litigation, etc).

Don't get me wrong, I love HLS. My classmates are wonderful, I get to be involved in a lot of cool activities, and the professors are incredibly accomplished. But would I have liked CLS any less? I doubt it. To be perfectly frank, the whole "If I turn down HLS I'll always wonder what my life would have been like" weighed heavily on my mind when I was deciding. I knew at the time that it was silly to think that way but I couldn't get it out of my head.

I'm not sure if I could go back that I would choose differently. But I just thought I'd let 0Ls know my take on it, so I hope this helps. Good luck the rest of this cycle!!

Just wondering did you get any grant aid from Harvard? Similarly, I turned down good money from Cornell to go to Columbia and wonder what my life would be like if I went there instead. Maybe I would have struck out, who knows?

wheathins
Posts: 55
Joined: Sun Jan 15, 2017 5:27 pm

Re: Columbia students taking questions

Postby wheathins » Thu Feb 16, 2017 12:12 am

.
Last edited by wheathins on Mon Feb 20, 2017 7:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

GoneSouth
Posts: 309
Joined: Tue Jan 20, 2015 10:00 am

Re: Columbia students taking questions

Postby GoneSouth » Thu Feb 16, 2017 2:24 am

bluefox wrote:I am starting CLS this fall and am married with a daughter on the way (due in June). Looking at housing options, the Arbor seems like the best bet for someone in my situation, but TLS seems pretty down on it. Anyone know someone in a similar situation and what was best for them? Any advice is appreciated.


FWIW, I don't know a single person that lives in the Arbor. That commute seems rough, not impossible, but rough.

bluefox
Posts: 4
Joined: Mon Feb 13, 2017 12:32 pm

Re: Columbia students taking questions

Postby bluefox » Thu Feb 16, 2017 11:19 am

DCfilterDC wrote:
bluefox wrote:I am starting CLS this fall and am married with a daughter on the way (due in June). Looking at housing options, the Arbor seems like the best bet for someone in my situation, but TLS seems pretty down on it. Anyone know someone in a similar situation and what was best for them? Any advice is appreciated.


Not in your family situation but will stress that the Arbor is a pretty shitty option. Especially if you have a family that commute is going to suck. Does your spouse have a job in NYC? Quite a few married people live where's most convenient for their spouse.

LetsGoMets wrote:I know a guy living in an apartment at 420 W 116th (across the street from the law school) with his wife and a 1-year-old and they like it as far as I know.

GoneSouth wrote:FWIW, I don't know a single person that lives in the Arbor. That commute seems rough, not impossible, but rough.


Thanks for the feedback, we'll definitely check out 420 W 116th, though I'm wondering if the amenities will be as good as the Arbor. My wife is a Ph.D. candidate who is in the dissertation-writing phase, so she can live anywhere.

The commute from the Arbor is purported to be 25 minutes, which doesn't sound bad to me at all. Is there some other reason why the commute sucks so much?

User avatar
Kummel
Posts: 3416
Joined: Fri Oct 03, 2014 11:55 pm

Re: Columbia students taking questions

Postby Kummel » Thu Feb 16, 2017 1:48 pm

bluefox wrote:The commute from the Arbor is purported to be 25 minutes, which doesn't sound bad to me at all. Is there some other reason why the commute sucks so much?


"purported" but it can be longer. Also the shuttle schedule is awful. It doesn't come nearly as often as it says it does plus stops at 8 pm saturdays and doesn't run on sundays. Arbor isn't really near the subway so you're just kind of stranded up there. if you guys are home bodies who prefer to just live comfortably at home and not go down into manhattan much then Arbor does work. Otherwise, I feel there are way better options for you




Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests