Columbia students taking questions Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
GreenEggs

Gold

Re: Columbia students taking questions

Post by GreenEggs » Wed Apr 20, 2016 7:45 pm

Nebby wrote:Chermerinsky is by far the best con law casebook too
Based on? Superior editing, or what?
Last edited by GreenEggs on Fri Jan 26, 2018 9:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Nebby

Diamond

Post by Nebby » Wed Apr 20, 2016 7:46 pm

DCfilterDC wrote:
Structure

GreenEggs

Gold

Post by GreenEggs » Wed Apr 20, 2016 7:48 pm

Nebby wrote:
DCfilterDC wrote:
Structure
Kind of moot at CLS, since no class actually does Brest cover to cover, or even in order most of the time.

Nebby

Diamond

Post by Nebby » Wed Apr 20, 2016 7:56 pm

DCfilterDC wrote:
Nebby wrote:
DCfilterDC wrote:
Structure
Kind of moot at CLS, since no class actually does Brest cover to cover, or even in order most of the time.
I've heard others talk about their conlaw experiences and the classes seem horrible at teaching conlaw

GreenEggs

Gold

Post by GreenEggs » Wed Apr 20, 2016 7:57 pm

Nebby wrote:
DCfilterDC wrote:
Nebby wrote:
DCfilterDC wrote:
Structure
I've heard others talk about their conlaw experiences and the classes seem horrible at teaching conlaw
Yeah but that's on professors, not the casebook. Most con law professors here though are pretty popular

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

jbagelboy

Diamond

Post by jbagelboy » Wed Apr 20, 2016 8:13 pm

Nebby wrote:
DCfilterDC wrote:
Nebby wrote:
DCfilterDC wrote:
Structure
My conlaw prof was visiting and he was great. And chemerinsky was still pretty bomb (although it was nice to know the professor's particular emphasis since no single prof will cover ALL con law topics). I looked at a friend's con law past exam from a different section and knew basically none of it so you have to augment Chem with something from your own class.

TheoO

Silver

Post by TheoO » Wed Apr 20, 2016 10:45 pm

DCfilterDC wrote:
The individual cases are edited to shit and so very short. I know people who did like 30 page conlaw readings. I had like 10-15 pages per class.

Metzger hates the book, fwiw.

Monochromatic Oeuvre

Gold

Post by Monochromatic Oeuvre » Thu Apr 21, 2016 12:39 am

jbagelboy wrote:My conlaw prof was visiting and he was great. And chemerinsky was still pretty bomb (although it was nice to know the professor's particular emphasis since no single prof will cover ALL con law topics). I looked at a friend's con law past exam from a different section and knew basically none of it so you have to augment Chem with something from your own class.
His speech at the end of the class about keeping the exam, law school, and your career in general in perspective as only a small part of your life overall is still, to this day, the most important thing any CLS professor has ever said to me, by a long shot.

Maybe a quarter of the professors even give the slightest fuck about their students at this school, so somehow I'm not surprised that the one professor who actually inspired me wasn't hired.

stoopkid13

Bronze

Post by stoopkid13 » Thu Apr 21, 2016 1:39 am

DCfilterDC wrote:
Nebby wrote:
DCfilterDC wrote:
Structure
God I'd probably shoot myself if I had to read Brest cover to cover

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

jbagelboy

Diamond

Post by jbagelboy » Thu Apr 21, 2016 6:11 am

Monochromatic Oeuvre wrote:
jbagelboy wrote:My conlaw prof was visiting and he was great. And chemerinsky was still pretty bomb (although it was nice to know the professor's particular emphasis since no single prof will cover ALL con law topics). I looked at a friend's con law past exam from a different section and knew basically none of it so you have to augment Chem with something from your own class.
His speech at the end of the class about keeping the exam, law school, and your career in general in perspective as only a small part of your life overall is still, to this day, the most important thing any CLS professor has ever said to me, by a long shot.

Maybe a quarter of the professors even give the slightest fuck about their students at this school, so somehow I'm not surprised that the one professor who actually inspired me wasn't hired.
Yea he was a decent guy and a good prof and they should have worked harder to keep him around.

White Dwarf

Bronze

Post by White Dwarf » Thu Apr 21, 2016 8:17 am

Worst thing about Con law is how many Kennedy opinions we have to read. Dude sucks. He's only tolerable 1-2 pages at a time.

Not a fan of the Brest text, either. The editing of opinions is dreadful. The book could easily be 50% shorter without sacrificing anything. I get more from the Chemerinsky supplement in about 1/10th the space.

ph5354a

Gold

Post by ph5354a » Thu Apr 21, 2016 9:17 am

jbagelboy wrote:
Monochromatic Oeuvre wrote:

Yea he was a decent guy and a good prof and they should have worked harder to keep him around.
I loved that man. His gentle southern drawl was the only thing keeping Con Law bearable at 9am and he actually tried to make sure we understood what the cases stood for.

freakingoutlalala

New

Post by freakingoutlalala » Thu Apr 21, 2016 8:49 pm

does anyone know if columbia increases grants for students doing well who might transfer? or increases grants during 2L or 3L outside of huge financial changes

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

White Dwarf

Bronze

Post by White Dwarf » Thu Apr 21, 2016 10:27 pm

No. Virtually no one transfers out, and even if they did, they'd be easy to replace. You can always apply for various scholarships, but I wouldn't expect another dime from Columbia.

jbagelboy

Diamond

Post by jbagelboy » Fri Apr 22, 2016 4:16 am

freakingoutlalala wrote:does anyone know if columbia increases grants for students doing well who might transfer? or increases grants during 2L or 3L outside of huge financial changes
Sadly, no.

CerealMilk

Bronze

Post by CerealMilk » Fri Apr 22, 2016 10:39 am

When I was visiting Columbia during ASW a number of students I talked to said to make sure to include all of your preferences in the housing application e.g. elevator, distance, whether you want a law student roommate (when applying to general housing) etc. However, the application does not seem to have space to add in any of your preferences besides your basic furnished/unfurnished and price tag. Has the application changed or is there someplace else where you're supposed to add in those details, thanks!

GreenEggs

Gold

Post by GreenEggs » Fri Apr 22, 2016 10:44 am

CerealMilk wrote:When I was visiting Columbia during ASW a number of students I talked to said to make sure to include all of your preferences in the housing application e.g. elevator, distance, whether you want a law student roommate (when applying to general housing) etc. However, the application does not seem to have space to add in any of your preferences besides your basic furnished/unfurnished and price tag. Has the application changed or is there someplace else where you're supposed to add in those details, thanks!
Yeah people told me that too, but there isn't anywhere to put that information so I don't know where it comes from. Maybe it used to be like that. But no, there's no place else

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

kingpin101

Bronze

Post by kingpin101 » Fri Apr 22, 2016 10:48 am

You absolutely can specify particular preferences. I live in UAH but I specified that I wanted law school roommates by sending an email. The office made sure it was included and I got UAH housing with law school roommates.

almondjoy

Bronze

Post by almondjoy » Fri Apr 22, 2016 10:52 am

Yep I think Juliana Utley is the one to email. From what I hear she is extremely helpful.

GreenEggs

Gold

Post by GreenEggs » Fri Apr 22, 2016 10:56 am

almondjoy wrote:Yep I think Juliana Utley is the one to email. From what I hear she is extremely helpful.
Yeah she's super helpful, but you kind of have to meet with her in person. She's super unresponsive to e-mails/phone calls.

White Dwarf

Bronze

Post by White Dwarf » Fri Apr 22, 2016 10:59 am

DCfilterDC wrote:
almondjoy wrote:Yep I think Juliana Utley is the one to email. From what I hear she is extremely helpful.
Yeah she's super helpful, but you kind of have to meet with her in person. She's super unresponsive to e-mails/phone calls.
Yup. I emailed her 3 times and called twice and got no response at all.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Nebby

Diamond

Post by Nebby » Fri Apr 22, 2016 10:59 am

DCfilterDC wrote:
She's the worst at responding to anything

GreenEggs

Gold

Post by GreenEggs » Fri Apr 22, 2016 11:04 am

White Dwarf wrote:
DCfilterDC wrote:
Yup. I emailed her 3 times and called twice and got no response at all.
Yeah... plus every time I called the voicemail would be full so you couldn't even leave a message asking her to call back.

She might read e-mails with requests, but I don't know if she replies to them

ugg

Diamond

Post by ugg » Fri Apr 22, 2016 11:08 am

Any extra preferences you guys think are important to make UAH aware of?

GreenEggs

Gold

Post by GreenEggs » Fri Apr 22, 2016 11:14 am

Does anyone in UAH know anything about getting big shit in the apartment re-done? My apartment seems to not have been remodeled in a long time. Half the cabinet doors don't close right, the kitchen sink is basically the size of a bathroom sink, the vanity in the bathroom is starting to come off the wall...
Last edited by GreenEggs on Fri Jan 26, 2018 9:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”