Columbia students taking questions Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
mmarion44

New

Re: Columbia 1L(s) taking questions

Post by mmarion44 » Sun Jun 21, 2015 7:57 pm

moopness wrote:
mmarion44 wrote:Has anybody had any experience with 547 Riverside? Not as close as I'd like but not terrible either, just don't know anything about the building itself. Anybody know if they have laundry in the building?
I lived there this last year. It may not seem far, but trust me it is a HUGE pain in the ass having to walk that distance to go home from JG. It's a good 20 minute walk, sometimes more, to get to school. This is especially annoying when it gets unbearably cold during the winter. There is laundry in the building, and generally the apartments are pretty nice. The area itself is also pretty nice but there isn't very much around it. I honestly would recommend not living here due to the inconvenience.
Thanks for the reply! Unfortunately, I think I'm stuck for this year, but hopefully it's not too bad; I'm plenty used to the NY cold thankfully. But yeah, 20 minutes doesn't compare very favorably to 2 minutes.

TheoO

Silver

Post by TheoO » Mon Jun 22, 2015 9:22 pm

So, conflict of laws... is that a credited class? I'm hearing mixed things.

Also, anyone have some professors/classes that are TCR?

Tiago Splitter

Diamond

Post by Tiago Splitter » Mon Jun 22, 2015 9:24 pm

TheoO wrote: Also, anyone have some professors/classes that are TCR?
Both semesters of Shechtman.

TheoO

Silver

Post by TheoO » Mon Jun 22, 2015 9:40 pm

Is it worthwhile taking evidence if you have absolutely no lit interest?

Tiago Splitter

Diamond

Post by Tiago Splitter » Mon Jun 22, 2015 9:46 pm

TheoO wrote:Is it worthwhile taking evidence if you have absolutely no lit interest?
I have absolutely no lit interest, but a) Shechtman's class is super chill and b) it will help you for the bar. As someone studying for the bar right now I'm glad I took it and criminal procedure.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Monochromatic Oeuvre

Gold

Post by Monochromatic Oeuvre » Mon Jun 22, 2015 9:49 pm

TheoO wrote:Is it worthwhile taking evidence if you have absolutely no lit interest?
It's on the bar so it'll make your life easier to take something you'll wind up needing eventually anyway.
TheoO wrote:So, conflict of laws... is that a credited class? I'm hearing mixed things.

Also, anyone have some professors/classes that are TCR?
Monaghan never gives a single fuck about a curriculum, your questions, or generally doing anything besides giving his own opinion on stuff. If you wanted to be able to follow your curiosity stay away. I had fun because I was looking for a low-stress class with a limited amount of actual material. Seriously, with the exception of about four general rules, the whole class is "apply the law that it seems to make more sense to apply."

cws277

Bronze

Post by cws277 » Mon Jun 22, 2015 9:49 pm

mmarion44 wrote:
moopness wrote:
mmarion44 wrote:Has anybody had any experience with 547 Riverside? Not as close as I'd like but not terrible either, just don't know anything about the building itself. Anybody know if they have laundry in the building?
I lived there this last year. It may not seem far, but trust me it is a HUGE pain in the ass having to walk that distance to go home from JG. It's a good 20 minute walk, sometimes more, to get to school. This is especially annoying when it gets unbearably cold during the winter. There is laundry in the building, and generally the apartments are pretty nice. The area itself is also pretty nice but there isn't very much around it. I honestly would recommend not living here due to the inconvenience.
Thanks for the reply! Unfortunately, I think I'm stuck for this year, but hopefully it's not too bad; I'm plenty used to the NY cold thankfully. But yeah, 20 minutes doesn't compare very favorably to 2 minutes.
I live at 549 Riverside and have posted here before about how much I love it. It's a 15 minute walk for me to the doors of JG and it's just become part of my routine. It's a shorter commute than any of my friends who live outside of Morningside. The adjacent block of Broadway has some great restaurants and it is hard to beat living literally on Riverside Park. Plus Dino BBQ and Fairway (neighborhood's best grocery store) are less than 10 minutes down the hill. You're also walking distance to a ton of great stuff in Harlem. I wouldn't move away after 3L if I didn't have to.

iamgeorgebush

Silver

Post by iamgeorgebush » Tue Jun 23, 2015 1:35 am

anyone have thoughts on fed courts with metzger?

jrc223

Bronze

Post by jrc223 » Tue Jun 23, 2015 1:48 am

stupid/unimportant question i know but whatever: in our 1L classes, will we have assigned seats?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Tiago Splitter

Diamond

Post by Tiago Splitter » Tue Jun 23, 2015 1:51 am

jrc223 wrote:stupid/unimportant question i know but whatever: in our 1L classes, will we have assigned seats?
Sometimes. The professor will have you sign up on a seating chart available via lawnet.

jbagelboy

Diamond

Post by jbagelboy » Tue Jun 23, 2015 8:05 am

iamgeorgebush wrote:anyone have thoughts on fed courts with metzger?
From the grapevine, GPA-killer and a shitload of work but a higher quality course than Monaghans

smaug

Diamond

Post by smaug » Tue Jun 23, 2015 9:00 am

jbagelboy wrote:
From the grapevine, GPA-killer and a shitload of work but a higher quality course than Monaghans
disagree

that said, who knows how much longer HPM will be teaching

Humbert Humbert

Bronze

Post by Humbert Humbert » Tue Jun 23, 2015 11:09 am

What is the best approach for registering for classes? Do you need to rank seminars over lectures, generally, or does it vary by class? And as far as the ranking system goes, is this the correct approach:

1) Primary: Class A
Alternate: Class B

2) Primary: Class B
Alternate: Class A

3) Primary: Class C
Alternate: Class B

4) Primary: Class D
Alternate: Class C

5) Primary: Class E
Alternate: Class D

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

jbagelboy

Diamond

Post by jbagelboy » Tue Jun 23, 2015 11:17 am

Jason Taverner wrote:
jbagelboy wrote:
disagree

that said, who knows how much longer HPM will be teaching
I yield to smaug. it's probably a person by person kind of thing anyway.

smaug

Diamond

Post by smaug » Tue Jun 23, 2015 11:21 am

oh it's an entirely a person by person thing and many people loathe Monaghan

but, i love him, and i'm not alone. to quote our illustrious Philip B—
Even if Henry Paul Monaghan is teaching window washing, you should take it.
that said, he has a huge bent toward issues that touch biglaw/the corporate bench

if you're interested in the stuff that touches government or PI, you're probably going to be frustrated at what he spends his time on

Tiago Splitter

Diamond

Post by Tiago Splitter » Tue Jun 23, 2015 11:24 am

Humbert Humbert wrote:What is the best approach for registering for classes? Do you need to rank seminars over lectures, generally, or does it vary by class? And as far as the ranking system goes, is this the correct approach:
I would say generally yes to seminars over lectures but it would help if you said which ones you were considering. That list they send out showing which classes usually end up waitlisted isn't very helpful because it includes everything. I think a good rule of thumb is that the large black letter law lecture classes are attainable if you just hang around the waitlist for a few days into the semester. Jackson's corps is one exception but I can't think of any others.

Monochromatic Oeuvre

Gold

Post by Monochromatic Oeuvre » Tue Jun 23, 2015 9:46 pm

jbagelboy wrote:
I took it. Probably not an exaggeration to say that 80-85% of the class was Stone students. Academically a tremendous class. Metzger's brilliant. Just walk in there knowing you will get a B. It will make your experience a lot less stressful.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

smaug

Diamond

Post by smaug » Tue Jun 23, 2015 10:04 pm

Monochromatic Oeuvre wrote:
jbagelboy wrote:
I took it. Probably not an exaggeration to say that 80-85% of the class was Stone students. Academically a tremendous class. Metzger's brilliant. Just walk in there knowing you will get a B. It will make your experience a lot less stressful.
IME this is also true of Monaghan Fed Courts, but I think his grading is a bit more wonky. (I think the grades he give might be pushed more to the poles than other profs. (more As and Bs, fewer A-/B+))

stephcurry

New

Post by stephcurry » Wed Jun 24, 2015 1:13 am

edited
Last edited by stephcurry on Fri Jun 24, 2016 11:57 am, edited 2 times in total.

White Dwarf

Bronze

Post by White Dwarf » Wed Jun 24, 2015 4:45 pm

How lenient are they with the housing deposits? There is no way in hell I can drop that kind of money right now.

papercut

Silver

Post by papercut » Wed Jun 24, 2015 4:56 pm

White Dwarf wrote:How lenient are they with the housing deposits? There is no way in hell I can drop that kind of money right now.
In general, they are very lenient about nearly everything related to housing (except perhaps location). Just call them up and talk to them about this. It shouldn't be a problem.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

shamallama

New

Post by shamallama » Wed Jun 24, 2015 7:47 pm

Got my housing assignment today in the 400 block on 115th street. I noticed that one responsibility of a tenant listed on the housing website is: "Area rugs - Students are responsible for providing rugs that cover 80% of the floor area to comply with the terms of the lease". How strictly is this enforced and do most people do this?

papercut

Silver

Post by papercut » Wed Jun 24, 2015 8:57 pm

shamallama wrote:Got my housing assignment today in the 400 block on 115th street. I noticed that one responsibility of a tenant listed on the housing website is: "Area rugs - Students are responsible for providing rugs that cover 80% of the floor area to comply with the terms of the lease". How strictly is this enforced and do most people do this?
It is not enforced in my building. I assume it's the same at yours.

john_brown

New

Post by john_brown » Wed Jun 24, 2015 11:32 pm

stephcurry wrote:Sorry if this question has been asked already, but anyone with experience in 415 W 115th St? Are there laundry machines/how is it overall? Wasn't my first choice but probably gonna still go with it
Yep - laundry in the basement, accessible via the world's slowest elevator. Overall I was very happy with the building. You just can't beat the location, especially if you're a late riser.

Literally the only downside was the guy who would occasionally sing off-key at the top of his lungs. Hopefully for your sake he's moved on...

White Dwarf

Bronze

Post by White Dwarf » Fri Jun 26, 2015 10:18 am

papercut wrote:
White Dwarf wrote:How lenient are they with the housing deposits? There is no way in hell I can drop that kind of money right now.
In general, they are very lenient about nearly everything related to housing (except perhaps location). Just call them up and talk to them about this. It shouldn't be a problem.
Thanks. They offered to let me pay just the deposit now, and put off the first month's rent until I get my award money. Not ideal, but I can make it work.

I realize most Columbia students are >= upper-middle class, but dropping nearly $3K at the drop of a hat seems like a big ask.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”