Columbia students taking questions Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
ph5354a

Gold

Re: Columbia 1L(s) taking questions

Post by ph5354a » Wed Feb 20, 2013 5:40 pm

ph5354a wrote:
canarykb wrote:(3) I've got a cat dog. Am I missing any campus housing that doesn't ban pets? I'd prefer to have really close & convenient housing.

Wondering about this too. Does University-owned housing not allow pets as well?

"Pets are strictly prohibited in UAH, except for service animals and those pets kept in aquaria." Sad.

Tiago Splitter

Diamond

Post by Tiago Splitter » Wed Feb 20, 2013 5:44 pm

If you have roommates you aren't supposed to bring a pet, although I imagine that can be negotiated among the people living there. If you are like me and live in couples housing pets aren't a problem at all.

kwais

Gold

Post by kwais » Wed Feb 20, 2013 5:48 pm

and yet you see pets. Not saying that you should bet on it, and certainly don't bring a 90 lb dog, but just saying.

As for the 400 block of 115th (where a ton of people live). They are plain, but some are fairly spacious. I've seen some great apartments on the 300 block of 113th. Also, for a little extra, 400 block of 116th is pretty nice and you can't beat the location

ph5354a

Gold

Post by ph5354a » Wed Feb 20, 2013 5:50 pm

kwais wrote:and yet you see pets. Not saying that you should bet on it, and certainly don't bring a 90 lb dog, but just saying.
Hm, good to know. I have a 50 pound dog, so I probably won't bet on it. Thanks!

piccolittle

Silver

Post by piccolittle » Wed Feb 20, 2013 9:56 pm

People concerned about pets should look into the NYC 3-month rule (if you have a pet living openly and notoriously in your apartment for three months, the "no pet" provision of the lease is waived with respect to that pet). It's easier to do with cats, though.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Guchster

Silver

Post by Guchster » Wed Feb 20, 2013 11:33 pm

piccolittle wrote:People concerned about pets should look into the NYC 3-month rule (if you have a pet living openly and notoriously in your apartment for three months, the "no pet" provision of the lease is waived with respect to that pet). It's easier to do with cats, though.
Kitty adverse possession, are you kidding me? So awesome.

But is having a cat in one's home so that management couldn't see it "open and notorious" enough?

kwais

Gold

Post by kwais » Thu Feb 21, 2013 9:46 am

Also, there is a service pig who lives in the 115th area, named something like Squiggles. Pretty large pig. Owner is not a student, so not very helpful. But look out for Squiggles.

cardinals1989

Silver

Post by cardinals1989 » Thu Feb 21, 2013 2:20 pm

Guchster wrote:
piccolittle wrote:People concerned about pets should look into the NYC 3-month rule (if you have a pet living openly and notoriously in your apartment for three months, the "no pet" provision of the lease is waived with respect to that pet). It's easier to do with cats, though.
Kitty adverse possession, are you kidding me? So awesome.

But is having a cat in one's home so that management couldn't see it "open and notorious" enough?
I would most likely interpret open and notorious to mean open and notorious should management decide to come into the apartment and check it out. I.e., don’t hide the cat and its paraphernalia in the closet when the super comes in to fix a light or a faucet or something. I don’t know how this could be enforced as a practical matter, but it isn’t like people are taking their cats for walks every day.

moonman157

Silver

Post by moonman157 » Thu Feb 21, 2013 2:29 pm

kwais wrote:Also, there is a service pig who lives in the 115th area, named something like Squiggles. Pretty large pig. Owner is not a student, so not very helpful. But look out for Squiggles.
I'm sold on Columbia

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

ph5354a

Gold

Post by ph5354a » Thu Feb 21, 2013 2:31 pm

moonman157 wrote:
kwais wrote:Also, there is a service pig who lives in the 115th area, named something like Squiggles. Pretty large pig. Owner is not a student, so not very helpful. But look out for Squiggles.
I'm sold on Columbia
What disability does one have that they need a service pig? Whatever it is, I'm interested.

J90

Bronze

Post by J90 » Thu Feb 21, 2013 2:41 pm

I'm hoping for a service velociraptor of my own, someday. I could settle for a mid-sized whale for aquatic excursions.

But seriously. A service pig is awesome.

piccolittle

Silver

Post by piccolittle » Thu Feb 21, 2013 3:43 pm

Also, if people are interested in registering their pets as service animals, it's pretty easy to do. Not sure how Columbia would treat that, but they're not able to ask about the nature of the disability. So your 50-pound dog could be registered as a service dog, and that would also apply to mental support IIRC.

Can you tell I'm taking animal law this semester? :P

ph5354a

Gold

Post by ph5354a » Thu Feb 21, 2013 3:48 pm

piccolittle wrote:Also, if people are interested in registering their pets as service animals, it's pretty easy to do. Not sure how Columbia would treat that, but they're not able to ask about the nature of the disability. So your 50-pound dog could be registered as a service dog, and that would also apply to mental support IIRC.

Can you tell I'm taking animal law this semester? :P
Hm, that's an interesting thought. I do feel like that's horrific karma though.

Register your dog as a service animal even though you're not disabled --> get your legs chopped off after being thrown onto the subway tracks.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

shock259

Gold

Post by shock259 » Fri Feb 22, 2013 1:39 am

This is amazing. I'm going to be on the lookout for Squiggles.

piccolittle

Silver

Post by piccolittle » Fri Feb 22, 2013 2:23 pm

shock259 wrote:
This is amazing. I'm going to be on the lookout for Squiggles.
I first met him when I was unpacking the car outside my building with my parents (move-in day). I looked up when this lady yelled from across the street, "It's not a dog!" I hadn't even noticed her before that but of course I then had to go and pet him. <3 Squiggles.

shock259

Gold

Post by shock259 » Fri Feb 22, 2013 5:39 pm

This is gonna sound weird, but I don't care: I actually had a dream about Squiggles last night. He was one of those older pigs that's more white than pink. And he was covered in mud. But he was hanging out on 115th and he came up to me just like a dog would. I pet(ed?) him for a while.

I hope Squiggles is as awesome IRL as he was in my dream.

Also, I should stop TLSing late at night.

howlery

Bronze

Post by howlery » Fri Feb 22, 2013 6:47 pm

shock259 wrote:This is gonna sound weird, but I don't care: I actually had a dream about Squiggles last night. He was one of those older pigs that's more white than pink. And he was covered in mud. But he was hanging out on 115th and he came up to me just like a dog would. I pet(ed?) him for a while.

I hope Squiggles is as awesome IRL as he was in my dream.

Also, I should stop TLSing late at night.
Whats the best time for a Squiggles sighting? I feel a strong urge to put him on Instagram. Also, its another excuse to visit CLS while I'm still in the city.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

gabriella97

New

Post by gabriella97 » Sun Feb 24, 2013 11:44 am

Does anyone know Columbia's financial aid policy? Will they reduce the amount of aid if you work as an SA and earn substantial income over the summer?

Tiago Splitter

Diamond

Post by Tiago Splitter » Sun Feb 24, 2013 11:58 am

gabriella97 wrote:Does anyone know Columbia's financial aid policy? Will they reduce the amount of aid if you work as an SA and earn substantial income over the summer?
No.

redsoxfan2495

Bronze

Post by redsoxfan2495 » Sun Feb 24, 2013 1:31 pm

I've been living on 115th for a year and half now and have yet to see Squiggles. I'll keep an eye out, and I'll be sure to take a picture if I find him.

ph5354a

Gold

Post by ph5354a » Sun Feb 24, 2013 1:38 pm

Anyone know how we submit our 2012 tax returns? Do they accept them via email or do we fax them? I can't find anything on the admitted students website that tells you how to submit them.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

timbs4339

Gold

Post by timbs4339 » Sun Feb 24, 2013 2:02 pm

gabriella97 wrote:Does anyone know Columbia's financial aid policy? Will they reduce the amount of aid if you work as an SA and earn substantial income over the summer?
No, but my scholarship was 40%-40%-20% over the three years. They say it's for interest/tax reasons, but I think the bigger implication is that you'll have an extra 20K after 2L.

J90

Bronze

Post by J90 » Sun Feb 24, 2013 2:14 pm

ph5354a wrote:Anyone know how we submit our 2012 tax returns? Do they accept them via email or do we fax them? I can't find anything on the admitted students website that tells you how to submit them.
You can fax them guaranteed, the number's on their financial aid website.

I'm sure they'd accept email, but you might have to scan quite a lot of pages. Don't forget to sign and date them on one of the pages. If you're unsure, just go ahead and call them during business hours, and when you start getting the menu just hit 0.

cardinals1989

Silver

Post by cardinals1989 » Sun Feb 24, 2013 4:23 pm

timbs4339 wrote:
No, but my scholarship was 40%-40%-20% over the three years. They say it's for interest/tax reasons, but I think the bigger implication is that you'll have an extra 20K after 2L.
This.

starrydreamz3

Silver

Post by starrydreamz3 » Tue Feb 26, 2013 12:34 pm

What's parking like in Morningside Heights? Living downtown now I couldn't even fathom having a car in the city, but could you survive with on-street parking all the way uptown?

My SO may be cross commuting via the GWB if we get a place together, just wondering if it's at all feasible to have a car or if he should just look for a bus route.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”