Columbia students taking questions Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
kingpin101

Bronze

Re: Columbia students taking questions

Post by kingpin101 » Thu Jan 14, 2016 2:37 pm

Honestly though, how common is it for professors to blow past the deadline? I'm a 1L and only have a single grade back.

John_Luther1989

Bronze

Post by John_Luther1989 » Thu Jan 14, 2016 3:38 pm

kingpin101 wrote:Honestly though, how common is it for professors to blow past the deadline? I'm a 1L and only have a single grade back.
Very common, unfortunately. There is really no disincentive to it since the punishment - basically a naughty list sent to professors - is laughably inadequate. That said, there is very little you can do to influence bad actors with tenure, or otherwise reasonably secure in their jobs, to be considerate of students.

GreenEggs

Gold

Post by GreenEggs » Fri Jan 15, 2016 4:28 pm

Does anyone now how many decimals are used in calculating honors? Is an A- just a 3.6, or is it 3.67, 3.6666, etc.?
Last edited by GreenEggs on Fri Jan 26, 2018 10:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

John_Luther1989

Bronze

Post by John_Luther1989 » Fri Jan 15, 2016 4:40 pm

DCfilterDC wrote:Does anyone now how many decimals are used in calculating honors? Is an A- just a 3.6, or is it 3.67, 3.6666, etc.?
Standard plus=.33, minus=.67

I want to also note DO NOT PUT YOUR GPA ON YOUR TRANSCRIPT. I don't care how proud you are. It is against the rules, will get you a conversation with Petal you don't want, and will make you that jerk.

Also, don't do some fuckboy stuff like "Kent Anticipated, 2015-2016." That'll just get you punched.

jrc223

Bronze

Post by jrc223 » Fri Jan 15, 2016 4:42 pm

lol at "kent anticipated"

we have three grades (well some of us do)

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

GreenEggs

Gold

Post by GreenEggs » Fri Jan 15, 2016 4:42 pm

John_Luther1989 wrote:
DCfilterDC wrote:Does anyone now how many decimals are used in calculating honors? Is an A- just a 3.6, or is it 3.67, 3.6666, etc.?
Standard plus=.33, minus=.67

I want to also note DO NOT PUT YOUR GPA ON YOUR TRANSCRIPT. I don't care how proud you are. It is against the rules, will get you a conversation with Petal you don't want, and will make you that jerk.

Also, don't do some fuckboy stuff like "Kent Anticipated, 2015-2016." That'll just get you punched.
Oh of course for both those things. I was honestly just curious, thanks though.

John_Luther1989

Bronze

Post by John_Luther1989 » Fri Jan 15, 2016 4:46 pm

Sorry, that non GPA calc stuff wasn't aimed at you; just general commentary.

Some of the current 3Ls did the most egregious shit and since I happen to know some recruiters I heard all about it. Made for some awkward hallway conversations.

GreenEggs

Gold

Post by GreenEggs » Fri Jan 15, 2016 4:49 pm

John_Luther1989 wrote:Sorry, that non GPA calc stuff wasn't aimed at you; just general commentary.

Some of the current 3Ls did the most egregious shit and since I happen to know some recruiters I heard all about it. Made for some awkward hallway conversations.
All good. I'm not surprised to hear that though...

MCFC

Platinum

Post by MCFC » Fri Jan 15, 2016 5:35 pm

John_Luther1989 wrote:
I would caveat this with it depends on the market. Like at OCI, obviously not. If mass mailing though, I think it's fair game, especially if non-NYC. I had a few interviews in smaller markets with people who just assumed mine was pretty bad since I left it off.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

John_Luther1989

Bronze

Post by John_Luther1989 » Fri Jan 15, 2016 5:51 pm

Do not put your GPA on your resume. Any firm that comes to EIP should know the situation institutionally regardless of when they get the applications. If you want them to know you're smart, put Columbia Law School in bold. If you want to double confirm it, send your transcript.

I'm not saying this just to say it. I'm Kent, Stone, and on pace for Kent again this year and I don't have my GPA on my resume.

Tiago Splitter

Diamond

Post by Tiago Splitter » Fri Jan 15, 2016 5:56 pm

John_Luther1989 wrote:Do not put your GPA on your resume. Any firm that comes to EIP should know the situation institutionally regardless of when they get the applications. If you want them to know you're smart, put Columbia Law School in bold. If you want to double confirm it, send your transcript.

I'm not saying this just to say it. I'm Kent, Stone, and on pace for Kent again this year and I don't have my GPA on my resume.
And if they don't come to EIP?

MCFC

Platinum

Post by MCFC » Fri Jan 15, 2016 6:05 pm

Right, to be clear, I was talking non EIP.

RSN

Silver

Post by RSN » Fri Jan 15, 2016 6:12 pm

John_Luther1989 wrote:Do not put your GPA on your resume. Any firm that comes to EIP should know the situation institutionally regardless of when they get the applications. If you want them to know you're smart, put Columbia Law School in bold. If you want to double confirm it, send your transcript.

So you're saying Kent Anticipated, 2015-2016?

Sorry, couldn't resist

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Nebby

Diamond

Post by Nebby » Fri Jan 15, 2016 7:01 pm

JL seems like a real winner

john_brown

New

Post by john_brown » Fri Jan 15, 2016 7:25 pm

Could somebody explain the taboo re: GPAs on your resume? Not saying I want to do it -- but what's the harm, exactly?

Nebby

Diamond

Post by Nebby » Fri Jan 15, 2016 8:11 pm

john_brown wrote:Could somebody explain the taboo re: GPAs on your resume? Not saying I want to do it -- but what's the harm, exactly?
CSO has some weirdo aversion to it with firms. I decided to follow the rule when looking for a PI job, even though there's really no reason to, and got tons of interviews regardless of the lack of GPA on resume.

MCFC

Platinum

Post by MCFC » Fri Jan 15, 2016 8:27 pm

john_brown wrote:Could somebody explain the taboo re: GPAs on your resume? Not saying I want to do it -- but what's the harm, exactly?
It's more than a taboo; there's an OCS rule that it can't appear on the resume that they send to firms for EIP. They'll email you and tell you to take it off. The idea is that you walk into the EIP interview with the employer having seen your resume, but without knowing your grades. You then hand them your transcript when you walk into the interview.

The idea is to have everyone be on more equal footing, and to be clear, I have no problem with it, and I followed the rule.

My point was just that I know there's a convention that if your GPA is below 3.0, don't put it on your resume. So my worry when mass mailing (one borne out by my experiences) was that someone would quickly open the email, scan the resume, see no GPA, assume it was 2.something, and send it to the trash.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

GoneSouth

Bronze

Post by GoneSouth » Sat Jan 16, 2016 12:25 am

Does anyone know how the upperclass curve compares to the 1L curve?

jrc223

Bronze

Post by jrc223 » Sat Jan 16, 2016 12:55 am

also, rough guess as to what gpa is top 20%, 15%, 10%, etc.?

cheaptilts

Silver

Post by cheaptilts » Sat Jan 16, 2016 12:59 am

MCFC wrote:
It's more than a taboo; there's an OCS rule that it can't appear on the resume that they send to firms for EIP. They'll email you and tell you to take it off. The idea is that you walk into the EIP interview with the employer having seen your resume, but without knowing your grades. You then hand them your transcript when you walk into the interview.

The idea is to have everyone be on more equal footing, and to be clear, I have no problem with it, and I followed the rule.

My point was just that I know there's a convention that if your GPA is below 3.0, don't put it on your resume. So my worry when mass mailing (one borne out by my experiences) was that someone would quickly open the email, scan the resume, see no GPA, assume it was 2.something, and send it to the trash.
I don't/didn't attend Columbia, so I have no dog in the fight, but isn't this a little strange? Wouldn't this simply give "double-ivies," those with high undergrad GPAs, or those with interesting/prestigious work experience a leg up? If the school's worried about employers not judging someone before they walk in based on law grades, wouldn't employers just pass judgment based on things they can see?

Eh, I'm probably missing something here so the answer doesn't really matter

jbagelboy

Diamond

Post by jbagelboy » Sat Jan 16, 2016 6:06 am

cheaptilts wrote:
MCFC wrote:

I don't/didn't attend Columbia, so I have no dog in the fight, but isn't this a little strange? Wouldn't this simply give "double-ivies," those with high undergrad GPAs, or those with interesting/prestigious work experience a leg up? If the school's worried about employers not judging someone before they walk in based on law grades, wouldn't employers just pass judgment based on things they can see?

Eh, I'm probably missing something here so the answer doesn't really matter
Not really. Most CLS students came from elite undergraduate institutions or have something else on their resume to recommend them. Naturally people with more experience and a better profile will have advantages in hiring, as they should. But moreover, whether the GPA is on the resume or just expressed on the transcript is irrelevant since the firms that care about grades will look at your transcript immediately before considering you for hire, and for the rest of them that don't care about grades it wouldn't matter anyway.

If it wasn't clear, you hand your transcript to the EIP interviewer upon entering the room. They have seconds at most to review your resume without having access to your transcript.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

John_Luther1989

Bronze

Post by John_Luther1989 » Sat Jan 16, 2016 10:14 am

jrc223 wrote:also, rough guess as to what gpa is top 20%, 15%, 10%, etc.?
Not relevant for CLS. You're Kent, Stone, median pwn'd, or nothing.

smaug

Diamond

Post by smaug » Sat Jan 16, 2016 10:25 am

John_Luther1989 wrote:
jrc223 wrote:also, rough guess as to what gpa is top 20%, 15%, 10%, etc.?
Not relevant for CLS. You're Kent, Stone, median pwn'd, or nothing.
There are cut offs between Kent and Stone for firms, but if you're near or at an A- average you've cleared most of them.

GreenEggs

Gold

Post by GreenEggs » Sat Jan 16, 2016 10:30 am

I've read somewhere in here that Stone is a good rule of thumb for bidding DC. Is that true?

John_Luther1989

Bronze

Post by John_Luther1989 » Sat Jan 16, 2016 10:45 am

DCfilterDC wrote:I've read somewhere in here that Stone is a good rule of thumb for bidding DC. Is that true?
No. OCS and general chatter makes DC out to be some super hard place to get hired, but it really isn't, even at some of the top shops. Obviously Stone+ is better than not, but even being below median isn't a kiss of death. Be smart about bidding though (i.e. don't do 25 DC and 5 NY if your grades aren't killer). Talk to people who are going to DC. A bunch of 3Ls are headed that way and a decent number of 2Ls as well.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”