Columbia students taking questions Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
Pragmatic Gun

Silver

Re: Columbia 1L(s) taking questions

Post by Pragmatic Gun » Mon May 05, 2014 1:00 pm

I have a question regarding Columbia's international law program. From browsing their website, I learned they offer opportunities to study abroad at other schools for a semester. They even offer paid internships at NGOs around the world and the opportunity to clerk at the ICJ. Perhaps they are simply attempts at attracting students. But I wish to know if they actually lead to meaningful employment for people who take them. Any info would be appreciated!

jbagelboy

Diamond

Post by jbagelboy » Mon May 05, 2014 1:23 pm

Pragmatic Gun wrote:I have a question regarding Columbia's international law program. From browsing their website, I learned they offer opportunities to study abroad at other schools for a semester. They even offer paid internships at NGOs around the world and the opportunity to clerk at the ICJ. Perhaps they are simply attempts at attracting students. But I wish to know if they actually lead to meaningful employment for people who take them. Any info would be appreciated!
studying abroad via global alliance or getting an international LLM won't lead directly to meaningful employment - people do those after they've gone through OCI. HRIP (human rights internship program) guarantees summer funding/plan fare/ect for 1L's (or 2L's if you skip EIP) to work abroad with a recognized human rights organization; these can lead to post-grad employment, but that's more your own initiative than the schools.

There are a few post-grad funded positions the school offers that can lead to full time employment, such as the collaborative effort with the university at large and the center for human rights in Myanmar. If you research with a professor like Sarah Cleveland there are always opportunities springing up. I don't know how long term these end up being. If you're committed and put in the time, you'll get vouched for and placed at least in something partially funded. A lot of students wind up with combinations of school funding and outside grants like Fulbright ect.: http://web.law.columbia.edu/social-just ... honor-roll

I don't know anyone clerking at the ICJ after graduation specifically, but Columbia sends a few people every summer to the international war crimes tribunals at the hague. We also have very active and highly competitive Jessup (ICJ), Vis (international arbitration) and European Law (ECJ) moot court teams that you can do as a 1L or upper year.

if your question is mostly, "is international law a flame," I would say no, it's a sincere commitment, although it's far more difficult and less direct than getting a firm job at EIP. People like myself who are involved in the international law community here usually still end up doing EIP because it's available and highly secure relative to other trajectories.

Pragmatic Gun

Silver

Post by Pragmatic Gun » Mon May 05, 2014 1:34 pm

Not at all. I would love to work in international criminal law. It is just difficult to break into and I need to know what resources are available to me (in the likelihood Columbia takes me off reserve. Fingers crossed. but retaking the LSAT). What is EIP, by the way?

Edit 1: I want to basically hunt for unicorns within the comfort of a stable job in my desired field.

Theopliske8711

Gold

Post by Theopliske8711 » Mon May 05, 2014 1:43 pm

Pragmatic Gun wrote:Not at all. I would love to work in international criminal law. It is just difficult to break into and I need to know what resources are available to me (in the likelihood Columbia takes me off reserve. Fingers crossed. but retaking the LSAT). What is EIP, by the way?

Edit 1: I want to basically hunt for unicorns within the comfort of a stable job in my desired field.
http://web.law.columbia.edu/career-serv ... ew-program

jbagelboy

Diamond

Post by jbagelboy » Mon May 05, 2014 1:45 pm

Pragmatic Gun wrote:Not at all. I would love to work in international criminal law. It is just difficult to break into and I need to know what resources are available to me (in the likelihood Columbia takes me off reserve. Fingers crossed. but retaking the LSAT). What is EIP, by the way?

EIP is the "early interview program" at the beginning of 2L, roughly 90% of students participate in any given year and it's how the vast majority of columbia law school becomes employed after graduation - on the order of 80% of the graduating class will end up starting at the job they got through EIP or some EIP-related variant (a different office of a firm that was at EIP).

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

waferthinmint

Bronze

Post by waferthinmint » Mon May 05, 2014 2:37 pm

tkim129 wrote:Saying from experience, Butler Hall allows for dogs.
What is Butler Hall? Is it one of the UAH buildings?

BigLaw_Lit

New

Post by BigLaw_Lit » Tue May 06, 2014 7:15 pm

Hey all,

I have two quick questions:

1. How hard is it to get into lenfest if we ranked it 1 on our housing application - will I likely get it?
2. I heard rumblings that CLS instituted a new curve recently that is more forgiving. Does anyone know what it is?

Thanks

bowser

Bronze

Post by bowser » Tue May 06, 2014 7:48 pm

BigLaw_Lit wrote:Hey all,

1. How hard is it to get into lenfest if we ranked it 1 on our housing application - will I likely get it?
2. I heard rumblings that CLS instituted a new curve recently that is more forgiving. Does anyone know what it is?

Thanks
Corporations Final tomorrow and I Don't wanna study, don't wanna study....

1L curve: 6-11% A's, like 10-15% A- (20-25% A family target); (25-30 % B+ target); (35--40% B target); B- is discretionary. (I may have the B+ and B targets mixed up; one is slightly larger than the other). Something like that I think. It is more forgiving than a couple of years ago, where they capped A family to 25% and targeted 40% B's and you had to give like 5-10% B- or something.

Lenfest isn't that popular so I think you'd get it. It's pretty expensive though; a lot of people don't think it's worth it. There are other studios in UAH housing.

jbagelboy

Diamond

Post by jbagelboy » Tue May 06, 2014 8:21 pm

bowser wrote:
BigLaw_Lit wrote:Hey all,

Thanks
Corporations Final tomorrow and I Don't wanna study, don't wanna study....

1L curve: 6-11% A's, like 10-15% A- (20-25% A family target); (25-30 % B+ target); (35--40% B target); B- is discretionary. (I may have the B+ and B targets mixed up; one is slightly larger than the other). Something like that I think. It is more forgiving than a couple of years ago, where they capped A family to 25% and targeted 40% B's and you had to give like 5-10% B- or something.

Lenfest isn't that popular so I think you'd get it. It's pretty expensive though; a lot of people don't think it's worth it. There are other studios in UAH housing.
Just to clarify (since I'm not sure bowser has access to the info as a 2L), the 1L curve is specifically: 6-11% A, 13-19% A-, 30-35% B+ (at least 55% B+ or higher, generally around 60%), 35-45% B or below.

Most professor wind up at around 40% B's, 35% B+, 15% A- and in the single digits for A's and discretionary grades. Some are less generous (I have two profs who grade at basically 45% B or lower, <25% total A or A-, lame), others more generous. Given that B is the most popular grade in every class, they are very common, although median technically falls closer to B+.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

moonman157

Silver

Post by moonman157 » Tue May 06, 2014 8:25 pm

Professors can use 2L curves for electives that are open to all years, correct? How does the 2L curve differ from the 1L curve? Am I making any sense? My brain is completely fried.

jbagelboy

Diamond

Post by jbagelboy » Tue May 06, 2014 8:28 pm

moonman157 wrote:Professors can use 2L curves for electives that are open to all years, correct? How does the 2L curve differ from the 1L curve? Am I making any sense? My brain is completely fried.
yea i think its more generous. ur good

how shitty are finals dude..

Tiago Splitter

Diamond

Post by Tiago Splitter » Tue May 06, 2014 8:28 pm

moonman157 wrote:Professors can use 2L curves for electives that are open to all years, correct? How does the 2L curve differ from the 1L curve? Am I making any sense? My brain is completely fried.
All electives should use the upper division curve, which is roughly 15% A's, 25% A-, 33% B+, 22% B. Seminars are even better, with 28% A, 35% A-, 27% B+, and 6% B.

moonman157

Silver

Post by moonman157 » Tue May 06, 2014 8:39 pm

jbagelboy wrote:

I honestly don't even feel like a real human being right now. This is awful and I cannot wait for it to be over. Congrats on taking your exam today, I'm sure it went well!

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

jbagelboy

Diamond

Post by jbagelboy » Tue May 06, 2014 8:40 pm

moonman157 wrote:
jbagelboy wrote:

I honestly don't even feel like a real human being right now. This is awful and I cannot wait for it to be over. Congrats on taking your exam today, I'm sure it went well!
lol you too. I want to do those con law Q's for tomorrow but I can't move from my sofa

moonman157

Silver

Post by moonman157 » Tue May 06, 2014 8:43 pm

jbagelboy wrote:
moonman157 wrote:
jbagelboy wrote:

lol you too. I want to do those con law Q's for tomorrow but I can't move from my sofa
Haha at least take the night off, you've earned it

drevo

Bronze

Post by drevo » Tue May 13, 2014 7:09 pm

Last edited by drevo on Thu Jun 11, 2015 1:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

jbagelboy

Diamond

Post by jbagelboy » Tue May 13, 2014 7:22 pm

drevo wrote:I have a "preparing to live by Columbia" question. I've been looking more and more into what's around the Morningside Heights area for everyday living like restaurants, stores, etc. One thing I've been trying to find is if their are any good barber shops near Columbia. Where I live now we luckily have a couple great old school type mens barber shop where you can go in and have a beer with your cut (usually a cut that is heavy on the pomade). I'm trying to find something similar near Columbia via Google and Yelp but there doesn't seem to be much in the immediate area.

For reference of the type of place I mean, I go to this shop now: http://www.leftysbarbershop.com/index.html

So I guess my question is if any of you current Columbia law students know of good barbers around Columbia, or should I expect to do a little commuting. Silly question, I know, but I have to ask.
There's a place on Amsterdam between 105th and 106th (I think, maybe 104th) run by some eastern european and greek gentlemen who speak very little english. They charge $14 and they do a fine job. That's where I've been going since November.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Theopliske8711

Gold

Post by Theopliske8711 » Tue May 13, 2014 7:37 pm

I am partial to Bedford barbers in midtown near lex and 59, by the 59 st bridge. Figure haircuts are the kind of thing that can warrNt a short trip.

KingFish

Bronze

Post by KingFish » Tue May 13, 2014 8:23 pm

drevo wrote: For reference of the type of place I mean, I go to this shop now: http://www.leftysbarbershop.com/index.html

So I guess my question is if any of you current Columbia law students know of good barbers around Columbia, or should I expect to do a little commuting. Silly question, I know, but I have to ask.
Dude! I used to go there! Unfortunately I haven't been able to find a consistently good haircut here like I could get from Leftys. It's hit or miss, even with the same barbershop. Most of them will do the razor thing for you.

drevo

Bronze

Post by drevo » Tue May 13, 2014 9:27 pm

Last edited by drevo on Thu Jun 11, 2015 1:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

kartelite

Bronze

Post by kartelite » Tue May 13, 2014 9:38 pm

moonman157 wrote:
yarrow wrote:How attractive are the guys?
I would say on the whole it is a surprisingly attractive group of people. Law students have a reputation for being horribly unattractive, so I came in with fairly low expectations of what everyone would look like, but I would say that the people here are really good looking.
FWIW, Columbia Business School was the only program I applied to that required (I think) you to upload a picture as part of your application. Not that that would necessarily affect the law school...

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Theopliske8711

Gold

Post by Theopliske8711 » Tue May 13, 2014 10:20 pm

It's kind of weird to ask about the attractiveness of the student body given that CLS isn't in a small town. You have all of NYC as your playground.

smdpnp

Bronze

Post by smdpnp » Sat May 17, 2014 1:40 pm

Anyone know where I can get a cheap air conditioner? I'm also looking for a cleaning service, if anybody has one to recommend.

iamgeorgebush

Silver

Post by iamgeorgebush » Sat May 17, 2014 2:12 pm

anyone know some good (i.e., affordable) storage options around CLS?

piccolittle

Silver

Post by piccolittle » Sat May 17, 2014 2:42 pm

smdpnp wrote:Anyone know where I can get a cheap air conditioner? I'm also looking for a cleaning service, if anybody has one to recommend.
Amazon or fellow students for the AC? I have two units I might be interested in selling.

Joanna's Cleaning Service (Yelp link) is $20 an hour, and they generally do a good job.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”