Columbia students taking questions Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
jbagelboy

Diamond

Re: Columbia 1L(s) taking questions

Post by jbagelboy » Mon Feb 10, 2014 9:32 pm

Tiago Splitter wrote:
Audeamus wrote: For the record, I live in a really old CLS housing building and haven't had any problems with the radiators being loud.
My radiators are pretty quiet, but that might be because they rarely work.

As for cost, I think this may be a situation where size matters. I pay more than my buddy who lives right across from campus but my place is at least 50% bigger.

My radiators were loud as hell for about 2 wks in january, but I havent noticed other then that

smaug_

Gold

Post by smaug_ » Mon Feb 10, 2014 9:33 pm

moonman157 wrote:Question: How helpful are the 1L Firm events? I haven't been to any of them. Obviously the free food/drinks is appealing, but I'm feeling pretty swamped already this semester. Should I actually be going to these, or would my time be better spent studying?
Probably better spent studying, but they're fun. I remember the Paul Weiss one was considered a big deal when it happened. Also worth looking into the ones that are really nearby so you can grab some food and socialize.

You don't need to go to the events to get a job. (Just don't RSVP and then no-show.)

lunaraeon

Bronze

Post by lunaraeon » Tue Feb 11, 2014 12:43 am

smaug wrote:
moonman157 wrote:Question: How helpful are the 1L Firm events? I haven't been to any of them. Obviously the free food/drinks is appealing, but I'm feeling pretty swamped already this semester. Should I actually be going to these, or would my time be better spent studying?
Probably better spent studying, but they're fun. I remember the Paul Weiss one was considered a big deal when it happened. Also worth looking into the ones that are really nearby so you can grab some food and socialize.

You don't need to go to the events to get a job. (Just don't RSVP and then no-show.)
Especially lunch events. You can leave at 1, and you get faculty house food for free. No reason to miss them; you don't even have to interact with anyone. I recommend evening events, too. I can't make a lot because of other stuff, but the ones I have been to have been fun (especially Cleary), and I came out with some emails and things to talk about if I interview with them. (Plus food and drinks <3.)

But everything I've heard mirrors smaug—if you wouldn't feel comfortable losing the 2-3 hours out of your study time to go to an evening event, the time is better spent on school. Anything you get from the event is marginal at best, whereas grades are actually important.

smaug_

Gold

Post by smaug_ » Tue Feb 11, 2014 12:47 am

Just because I'm procrastinating and it came to mind:

You might want to network with people at Debevoise. The rumor mill was that they had a different recruiting process this past year and that it was helpful to know people who were past summers. (Not sure if that's true.)

girlmonster

Bronze

Post by girlmonster » Tue Feb 11, 2014 1:00 am

tkim129 wrote:FYI on couples housing ~ My SO and I have two dogs and are paying around $1,600. We live on 119th and Amsterdam at Butler Hall. We also have a 24 hour doorman, which is nice. I highly, highly recommend it.
Thanks for the info! Is it $1,600 for a studio or a 1BDR?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

tkim129

New

Post by tkim129 » Tue Feb 11, 2014 8:58 am

If you get a chance to have a frank conversation with a partner or an associate and close them by getting their business card, it's definitely worth it. And if anything , you get to hear the current marketing pitch for the firm and can use it to your advantage come interview time.

I've been to one lunch event and two evening events, but the best thing about them was the open bar/gourmet food. It might not be worth your time if you're behind on reading and such.

tkim129

New

Post by tkim129 » Tue Feb 11, 2014 9:04 am

girlmonster wrote:
tkim129 wrote:FYI on couples housing ~ My SO and I have two dogs and are paying around $1,600. We live on 119th and Amsterdam at Butler Hall. We also have a 24 hour doorman, which is nice. I highly, highly recommend it.
It's 1BDR. And thank God, because having to live in studio with my two crazy Yorkies would be an absolute nightmare.

The living room and kitchen, which are in distinct separate sections, are what you would expect (that is, they are tiny). But the bedroom is huge for NYC standards (i.e. it comfortably fits a queen sized bed, desk, and two drawers).

girlmonster

Bronze

Post by girlmonster » Tue Feb 11, 2014 11:58 am

tkim129 wrote:
girlmonster wrote:
It's 1BDR. And thank God, because having to live in studio with my two crazy Yorkies would be an absolute nightmare.

The living room and kitchen, which are in distinct separate sections, are what you would expect (that is, they are tiny). But the bedroom is huge for NYC standards (i.e. it comfortably fits a queen sized bed, desk, and two drawers).
Thanks a lot! That makes me feel a lot more optimistic about the housing situation.

Honestly, this thread has really been so incredibly helpful in an otherwise uncertain/confusing process. Thanks to everyone who has contributed to it!

kenwash

Bronze

Post by kenwash » Mon Feb 17, 2014 6:52 pm

I'm interested in learning more about the Richman Fellowship program. Can anyone share his/her experience with the interview process and expectations placed once a student?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

drawstring

Gold

Post by drawstring » Sun Feb 23, 2014 10:31 pm

Any students have inside info about what is going on with admissions this year and why so many strong applicants (e.g. 3.9/174-76, 4.1/173, 4.0/174, 3.9/172, 3.9/173, 4.0/175) have been held despite declining apps and medians? Was that normal when you applied?

bowser

Bronze

Post by bowser » Sun Feb 23, 2014 10:51 pm

drawstring wrote:Any students have inside info about what is going on with admissions this year and why so many strong applicants (e.g. 3.9/174-76, 4.1/173, 4.0/174, 3.9/172, 3.9/173, 4.0/175) have been held despite declining apps and medians? Was that normal when you applied?

Columbia never really did the yield protect thing before, but maybe if there are fewer candidates with stellar numbers they're beginning to now.

starrydreamz3

Silver

Post by starrydreamz3 » Sun Feb 23, 2014 10:55 pm

drawstring wrote:Any students have inside info about what is going on with admissions this year and why so many strong applicants (e.g. 3.9/174-76, 4.1/173, 4.0/174, 3.9/172, 3.9/173, 4.0/175) have been held despite declining apps and medians? Was that normal when you applied?
Anecdotal evidence but last year I had a friend with a 4.0/172 who applied early and didn't hear anything until late March. But she ended up at Harvard so wasn't the end of the world for her anyway.

ph5354a

Gold

Post by ph5354a » Mon Feb 24, 2014 10:26 am

Last year there was a good chunk of people (at least 10-15 maybe) that got into H and S in mid August, after CLS had already started Legal Methods. CLS is at a slight disadvantage in the wait list game because they start their 1L class earlier than other schools, so they can't replace those people. Maybe they could, but they don't seem to want to after Legal Methods has started. I think with declining 172+ LSAT scores, they realize that more CLS students can expect to get in at HYS late in the cycle and they want to avoid another exodus.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

cws277

Bronze

Post by cws277 » Mon Feb 24, 2014 9:31 pm

ph5354a wrote:
Last year there was a good chunk of people (at least 10-15 maybe) that got into H and S in mid August, after CLS had already started Legal Methods. CLS is at a slight disadvantage in the wait list game because they start their 1L class earlier than other schools, so they can't replace those people. Maybe they could, but they don't seem to want to after Legal Methods has started. I think with declining 172+ LSAT scores, they realize that more CLS students can expect to get in at HYS late in the cycle and they want to avoid another exodus.
How could anyone ever catch up if they missed Legal Methods?

ph5354a

Gold

Post by ph5354a » Mon Feb 24, 2014 9:50 pm

cws277 wrote:
ph5354a wrote:
How could anyone ever catch up if they missed Legal Methods?
I mean, it would be nearly impossible to catch up after all of that substantive legal work.

moonman157

Silver

Post by moonman157 » Mon Feb 24, 2014 10:02 pm

I'll never remember all the things I forgot in Legal Methods. Wait, was it supposed to be the other way around?

smaug_

Gold

Post by smaug_ » Mon Feb 24, 2014 10:16 pm

Y'all joke but I'm pretty sure Legal Methods was the most valuable course I took 1L. (and I had Bobbitt)

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

girlmonster

Bronze

Post by girlmonster » Mon Mar 03, 2014 1:20 pm

For those of us coming in for the Admitted Students Program, do y'all have any recommendations on things to do/see outside of the scheduled events?

djwjddl

Bronze

Post by djwjddl » Mon Mar 03, 2014 10:57 pm

any upperclassmen have edgar for crim law and willing to answer a few questions?

the_phoenix612

Bronze

Post by the_phoenix612 » Tue Mar 04, 2014 4:12 pm

djwjddl wrote:any upperclassmen have edgar for crim law and willing to answer a few questions?
I had Edgar for Crim Law. What's up?

JVK

Bronze

Post by JVK » Tue Mar 04, 2014 5:52 pm

girlmonster wrote:For those of us coming in for the Admitted Students Program, do y'all have any recommendations on things to do/see outside of the scheduled events?
The scheduled events are actually really fun - you'll have a great time and the school goes out of its way to try to make sure you do.

You're more than welcome to drop in on a class if you want, but more than anything just take some time to ask some of the current students about any concerns you have about picking a school/what to expect from Columbia/anything about law school, period. The school itself will obviously have a slight sales bent, but I think the law students themselves'll be very candid with you. I think I remember the schedule having plenty of time to do that. On going to classes - don't hesitate if you have time and you'd like to. Just sit in the back or wherever's open (most of the classes have seating charts is all). I know I've got Con Law tomorrow morning at 9:10, but if your ASP schedule gets going not long after, that's not much good (Con Law ends at 10:30, FWIW).

Feel free to PM me if you have any questions about the school/my own ASP experience.

On another note, any 2L's/3L's have Lynch for Crim?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Tiago Splitter

Diamond

Post by Tiago Splitter » Tue Mar 04, 2014 6:12 pm

JVK wrote:
On another note, any 2L's/3L's have Lynch for Crim?
I did.

ph5354a

Gold

Post by ph5354a » Tue Mar 04, 2014 8:31 pm

Any 2Ls have thoughts on the following situation?

1) Friday I received an offer from my second choice (but close second) summer employer (non-firm); they asked me to respond by "middle of next week" i.e. Wednesday.
2) Last week I had a callback with my first choice summer employer (small firm); they said the hiring committee would be meeting the next day and strongly implied that they would have a decision on Friday.
3) Yesterday, I emailed recruiter at firm about second choice offer to see if I would hear back from them before Wednesday.
4) I have heard nothing from first choice employer and presumably have to respond to second choice tomorrow.

If I don't hear anything from first choice tomorrow do I a) accept second choice's offer, b) ask them to extend their deadline, or c) try calling the first choice?

halp.

yomisterd

Gold

Post by yomisterd » Tue Mar 04, 2014 8:37 pm

tkim129 wrote:
girlmonster wrote:

As someone living in NYC and paying a little over 1600 for the tiniest studio with a SO, this is actually really attractive right now...

milkandcheerios

Bronze

Post by milkandcheerios » Tue Mar 04, 2014 8:39 pm

ph5354a wrote:
170+ scorers have actually increased this cycle. I wonder if Columbia is not aware of this althought that seems highly unlikely.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”