Columbia students taking questions Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
GoneSouth

Bronze

Re: Columbia students taking questions

Post by GoneSouth » Wed Aug 17, 2016 4:45 pm

White Dwarf wrote:
freakingoutlalala wrote:is it okay to buy a previous edition book? 4th edition civ pro vs 5th edition for genty?
Should be fine for Genty's class. He likes to chop things up, and his syllabus will tell you exactly what he wants you to read. None of that "p210-248" junk.
If I were you, I'd get the right book. There will no doubt be new cases added, and you don't want to be trying to figure out what exactly you have to read. I guess you could wait until he posts the syllabus to see how many cases aren't in the fourth edition, but I wouldn't just blindly buy the old edition now.

Also keep in mind that if you buy an old edition for like $100 now, it's probably going to have pretty much zero resale value next year because it's two years away from being the right edition and there will be a number of 5th editions for resale. So it's probably better to just buy it new for $250, sell next year for $100, and you're only $50 behind while having the benefit of having the correct book that doesn't have any highlighting in it
Last edited by GoneSouth on Wed Aug 17, 2016 4:51 pm, edited 2 times in total.

GoneSouth

Bronze

Post by GoneSouth » Wed Aug 17, 2016 4:48 pm

Nebby wrote:
GoneSouth wrote:Any recommendations for the best way to sell casebooks online?
I made $300 this summer selling 5 casebooks
On Amazon?

White Dwarf

Bronze

Post by White Dwarf » Wed Aug 17, 2016 5:10 pm

The old edition of the Civ Pro book Genty assigns goes for about $10 used now. I don't think I even bothered selling mine.

Waiting for the syllabus is probably a good idea, but most of Civ Pro is older cases that aren't going to have changed in meaning in the last 8 months.

RSN

Silver

Post by RSN » Wed Aug 17, 2016 5:29 pm

New CLS homepage? https://web.law.columbia.edu/

Still kind of shitty, though 21st century shitty instead of 20th

White Dwarf

Bronze

Post by White Dwarf » Wed Aug 17, 2016 7:07 pm

For PI-gunning purposes: Is taking 3 substantive law courses and 1 non-law language course okay, or should language courses just be something you add on top of a full law course-load?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Nebby

Diamond

Post by Nebby » Thu Aug 18, 2016 12:58 pm

GoneSouth wrote:
Nebby wrote:
GoneSouth wrote:Any recommendations for the best way to sell casebooks online?
I made $300 this summer selling 5 casebooks
On Amazon?
Yeah. I forgot to edit Amazon in, haha

Nebby

Diamond

Post by Nebby » Thu Aug 18, 2016 12:59 pm

White Dwarf wrote:For PI-gunning purposes: Is taking 3 substantive law courses and 1 non-law language course okay, or should language courses just be something you add on top of a full law course-load?
It's fine to do 3 and 1

cbbinnyc

Bronze

Post by cbbinnyc » Mon Aug 22, 2016 9:16 pm

NYU interloper here. Anybody have any insights about Richard R.W. Brooks for Contracts - any info about what his final exams are like would be particularly helpful? Thanks in advance!

GoneSouth

Bronze

Post by GoneSouth » Mon Aug 22, 2016 9:58 pm

cbbinnyc wrote:NYU interloper here. Anybody have any insights about Richard R.W. Brooks for Contracts - any info about what his final exams are like would be particularly helpful? Thanks in advance!
Is he teaching Contracts at NYU this year? Didn't know that.

I had Brooks for Contracts. He's the nicest guy in the world and goes out of his way to make everyone feel comfortable in class. But he teaches the class on a very theoretical level. Prepare to be confused often. He also goes super slow for the first half of the semester and then tries to jam 80% of the book into the last half.

If he has office hours down at NYU, GO TO THEM! I think he was my favorite prof to talk to during office hours just because he's so nice and brilliant. He's also pretty much impossible to get ahold of outside of his set office hours, so take advantage of them.

His exam was a traditional issue spotter, but pretty challenging. He LOVES when you cite cases. I felt like the TAs were super useful in telling us what he likes on an exam, so it could be kind of rough if he's teaching without TAs this year. Feel free to PM me closer to exam time and I can give you some tips.
Last edited by GoneSouth on Mon Aug 22, 2016 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

GreenEggs

Gold

Post by GreenEggs » Mon Aug 22, 2016 9:59 pm

What is a "tutorial seminar"?
Last edited by GreenEggs on Fri Jan 26, 2018 9:13 pm, edited 2 times in total.

cbbinnyc

Bronze

Post by cbbinnyc » Tue Aug 23, 2016 11:42 am

GoneSouth wrote:
cbbinnyc wrote:NYU interloper here. Anybody have any insights about Richard R.W. Brooks for Contracts - any info about what his final exams are like would be particularly helpful? Thanks in advance!
Is he teaching Contracts at NYU this year? Didn't know that.

I had Brooks for Contracts. He's the nicest guy in the world and goes out of his way to make everyone feel comfortable in class. But he teaches the class on a very theoretical level. Prepare to be confused often. He also goes super slow for the first half of the semester and then tries to jam 80% of the book into the last half.

If he has office hours down at NYU, GO TO THEM! I think he was my favorite prof to talk to during office hours just because he's so nice and brilliant. He's also pretty much impossible to get ahold of outside of his set office hours, so take advantage of them.

His exam was a traditional issue spotter, but pretty challenging. He LOVES when you cite cases. I felt like the TAs were super useful in telling us what he likes on an exam, so it could be kind of rough if he's teaching without TAs this year. Feel free to PM me closer to exam time and I can give you some tips.
Thanks! Super helpful stuff, much appreciated

randomanswers

New

Post by randomanswers » Tue Aug 23, 2016 7:40 pm

1L here with a lot of concerns about the upcoming year. I'm still in Legal Methods and I know upperclassmen advised not to worry, but I feel extremely inadequate. I don't even know how to brief correctly (lots of questions about where to put rule, etc.). I don't even know what the professor is asking 75% of the time. Some of my classmates seem brilliant and are fine with the workload already. Can anyone recommend some resources or provide some advice?

Tiago Splitter

Diamond

Post by Tiago Splitter » Tue Aug 23, 2016 7:46 pm

randomanswers wrote:1L here with a lot of concerns about the upcoming year. I'm still in Legal Methods and I know upperclassmen advised not to worry, but I feel extremely inadequate. I don't even know how to brief correctly (lots of questions about where to put rule, etc.). I don't even know what the professor is asking 75% of the time. Some of my classmates seem brilliant and are fine with the workload already. Can anyone recommend some resources or provide some advice?
If you're concerned about the workload in Legal Methods you are doing too much work. Don't beat yourself up to get all the reading done especially if the professor assigns a lot.

On briefing, you will learn quickly with some practice. And then soon after that, you will stop briefing and just take a few notes here and there on the cases you read. For now just grind through the cases and realize that picking things up from them will get easier. As with everything else your studying will be much more efficient in November than it is in September (not even gonna start with August) so there's no reason to burn yourself out now when you aren't even able to accomplish much.

As for everyone else they should be the least of your worries. There's really no universal truth for how to do well in law school other than to avoid worrying about what everyone else is doing.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

GreenEggs

Gold

Post by GreenEggs » Tue Aug 23, 2016 7:54 pm

randomanswers wrote:1L here with a lot of concerns about the upcoming year. I'm still in Legal Methods and I know upperclassmen advised not to worry, but I feel extremely inadequate. I don't even know how to brief correctly (lots of questions about where to put rule, etc.). I don't even know what the professor is asking 75% of the time. Some of my classmates seem brilliant and are fine with the workload already. Can anyone recommend some resources or provide some advice?
Everything Tiago said. Really, I know it's hard, but just try and chill and enjoy the experience of learning something new for the next 1.5 weeks that you'll never need to know after you pass the LM exam that everyone passes.

I had absolutely no idea what was going on in LM, it freaked me out too, but you'll find that actual classes are much more easier to grapple with.
Last edited by GreenEggs on Fri Jan 26, 2018 9:13 pm, edited 2 times in total.

dabigchina

Gold

Post by dabigchina » Tue Aug 23, 2016 8:14 pm

I was this person last year. Don't worry. Worrying about LM will burn you out for actual classes. Be more like my friends. Just slack off.

RSN

Silver

Post by RSN » Tue Aug 23, 2016 8:30 pm

Exactly how I felt in your shoes a year ago. I wasn't even sure if I was cut out for law school -- some of my classmates seemed miles ahead. But have faith that you eventually will figure it out. The beauty of Legal Methods is that it's pretty much solely for you to spend time getting your feet wet reading cases and learning how much you don't know. I promise it will get easier (especially if you're in Strauss, who honestly is well-meaning but shows it in quite an interesting way, i.e. trying to confuse and intimidate you more often than not).

One thing to keep in mind, though, and I was told this a hundred times last year and still didn't believe it but it's true, is that the people who speak the best in class and seem the most on top of their shit (particularly in Legal Methods) are very often not the ones who do best on the exams. So if you're kind of lost right now, or even a few weeks into the semester of real classes, take some deep breaths and keep powering through. Make sure to keep up with the reading and go to TA sessions and office hours, and I'm 100% confident that you'll be fine. They let you in for a reason.

Nebby

Diamond

Post by Nebby » Tue Aug 23, 2016 9:14 pm

Your classmates are all striving misanthropes. Go lift in Dodge and pick up an affinity for good bourbon

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

RSN

Silver

Post by RSN » Thu Aug 25, 2016 6:18 pm

So I'm pretty sure they're just never announcing the academic awards for 1Ls

dabigchina

Gold

Post by dabigchina » Thu Aug 25, 2016 6:29 pm

Nebby wrote:Your classmates are all striving misanthropes. Go lift in Dodge and pick up an affinity for good bourbon
stop telling people about dodge. it's crowded enough as it is.

Burlington4174

New

Post by Burlington4174 » Mon Aug 29, 2016 12:14 pm

Is there a meaningful difference between 13 and 14 credits? Will I have significantly more work taking 14 rather than 13?

Nebby

Diamond

Post by Nebby » Mon Aug 29, 2016 12:15 pm

Burlington4174 wrote:Is there a meaningful difference between 13 and 14 credits? Will I have significantly more work taking 14 rather than 13?
It's highly dependent on the actual classes and professors

Short answer: no

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Burlington4174

New

Post by Burlington4174 » Mon Aug 29, 2016 12:27 pm

Nebby wrote:
Burlington4174 wrote:Is there a meaningful difference between 13 and 14 credits? Will I have significantly more work taking 14 rather than 13?
It's highly dependent on the actual classes and professors

Short answer: no
Yeah, that is what I suspected since credits are solely determined by class time but the big time suck is the amount of work required outside of class.

lnick93

Bronze

Post by lnick93 » Tue Aug 30, 2016 10:10 am

Does anyone know what the best supplement for Antitrust is?

jadenkorr

New

Post by jadenkorr » Fri Sep 02, 2016 3:53 pm

Another dumb 1L question (actually, can't believe this hasn't been asked): best liquor store in the area?

LifeGoals

New

Post by LifeGoals » Sat Sep 03, 2016 8:14 am

anyone have a good ponsa outline for con law? there isn't one on the main publicly accessible bank

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”