Columbia students taking questions Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
lenalou722

New

Re: Columbia 1L(s) taking questions

Post by lenalou722 » Fri Oct 16, 2015 10:57 am

jbagelboy wrote:
lenalou722 wrote:Hello! I'm a prospective student planning on observing a class this Monday and can really only fit in a 2:50pm-4:10pm class. I'd like to sit in on a first year class so that leaves me with either Contracts w/Jody Kraus or Torts w/Andrzej Rapaczynski. Any recommendations on which class you'd recommend me sitting in on?

Thanks!
Lol

Amazing

Find a different class there are tons at that time

Lol tell me how you really feel...

This is where I found the list of classes they're letting people observe:
http://web.law.columbia.edu/sites/defau ... tation.pdf

I could only find those two at that time that are first year classes...

jbagelboy

Diamond

Post by jbagelboy » Fri Oct 16, 2015 11:00 am

lenalou722 wrote:
jbagelboy wrote:
lenalou722 wrote:Hello! I'm a prospective student planning on observing a class this Monday and can really only fit in a 2:50pm-4:10pm class. I'd like to sit in on a first year class so that leaves me with either Contracts w/Jody Kraus or Torts w/Andrzej Rapaczynski. Any recommendations on which class you'd recommend me sitting in on?

Thanks!
Lol

Amazing

Find a different class there are tons at that time

Lol tell me how you really feel...

This is where I found the list of classes they're letting people observe:
http://web.law.columbia.edu/sites/defau ... tation.pdf

I could only find those two at that time that are first year classes...
Go to Kraus then. He's a great orator, albeit otherwise terrible. Rapa just gets lost.

White Dwarf

Bronze

Post by White Dwarf » Fri Oct 16, 2015 1:02 pm

I'm in that Kraus section. Definitely worth seeing, even if just for the entertainment value.

jrc223

Bronze

Post by jrc223 » Fri Oct 16, 2015 1:25 pm

I'm in Rapa's section. Would avoid

lenalou722

New

Post by lenalou722 » Fri Oct 16, 2015 1:59 pm

Thanks everyone! Kraus it is.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

GoneSouth

Bronze

Post by GoneSouth » Fri Oct 23, 2015 9:17 am

Any thoughts from 2Ls and 3Ls on picking your 1L elective?

1L only class vs. one with upperclassmen? Soft class vs. black letter?

Right now I'm thinking about going for Evidence, but I'm not sure if this is crazy and I should be trying to get into something like Lawyering for Change instead.

I would also be interested in American Legal History, but I've heard some iffy things about Ponsa, mostly stemming from the ConLaw/divorce debacle. Now that that is in the past hopefully, how is she as a professor?

Nebby

Diamond

Post by Nebby » Fri Oct 23, 2015 9:22 am

GoneSouth wrote:Any thoughts from 2Ls and 3Ls on picking your 1L elective?

1L only class vs. one with upperclassmen? Soft class vs. black letter?

Right now I'm thinking about going for Evidence, but I'm not sure if this is crazy and I should be trying to get into something like Lawyering for Change instead
Lawyering for Change is highly dependent upon who your fellow classmates are. From all my C/O '16 friends who took it, they had a really great class, and regardless of their differing career aspirations, all of them had a passion for lawyering for change. According to my classmate who TA'd for the C/O '17 class, it was much less passion and much more people took it for an "easy" class, and the quality of the class suffered.

Evidence is a fine class. I don't think you can really go wrong with whatever you take. Admin is another fun class, but don't recommend if you aren't taking ConLaw this fall. It's better to take Admin after you've taken a semester of ConLaw.

White Dwarf

Bronze

Post by White Dwarf » Fri Oct 23, 2015 1:13 pm

It seems like everyone I know either wants Evidence or "easy class".

jbagelboy

Diamond

Post by jbagelboy » Fri Oct 23, 2015 2:49 pm

I don't know if law and development is still offered as an elective, but if so, it's basically no case reading and a really interesting class, especially if you've studied history and political economy in any serious way. There's no cold calling or any of that type A shit. That being said, it won't provide knowledge in a particular "area of law".

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Tiago Splitter

Diamond

Post by Tiago Splitter » Fri Oct 23, 2015 3:39 pm

Waxman's class isn't much work but you'll have to live with poli sci gunners and I don't think getting a good grade is easy. This could be stupid and/or hindsight bias but I might lean towards taking an upper year class if you want the best grade.

RSN

Silver

Post by RSN » Fri Oct 23, 2015 9:30 pm

Here are the 1L elective options for this spring: http://web.law.columbia.edu/courses/sea ... ery=Search

Law and Development looks like it's an option, but Waxman not doing anything.

Is TCR generally not to go for another hard black letter class (Evidence, Admin, etc)? That's the way I'm leaning now, having already had trouble getting everything done just with three classes + LPW this semester.

jbagelboy

Diamond

Post by jbagelboy » Sat Oct 24, 2015 1:03 am

LetsGoMets wrote:Here are the 1L elective options for this spring: http://web.law.columbia.edu/courses/sea ... ery=Search

Is TCR generally not to go for another hard black letter class (Evidence, Admin, etc)? That's the way I'm leaning now, having already had trouble getting everything done just with three classes + LPW this semester.
I didn't take hard letter and I'd be hard pressed to say it's impacted my career options in any way. Honestly most of the "do this to achieve X result" shpiel in law school is bullshit.

Put yourself out there and show up. Best advise I've ever received or given. You don't need to take any particular classes or serve on a particular journal/law review, just give it what you got. I know that's vague but it's more valuable than any rubric.

RSN

Silver

Post by RSN » Sat Oct 24, 2015 9:33 am

jbagelboy wrote:
LetsGoMets wrote:Here are the 1L elective options for this spring: http://web.law.columbia.edu/courses/sea ... ery=Search

I didn't take hard letter and I'd be hard pressed to say it's impacted my career options in any way. Honestly most of the "do this to achieve X result" shpiel in law school is bullshit.

Put yourself out there and show up. Best advise I've ever received or given. You don't need to take any particular classes or serve on a particular journal/law review, just give it what you got. I know that's vague but it's more valuable than any rubric.
I get it generally, I'm just talking about whether it makes sense to take another hard, work-intense class on top of the other three that are mandatory, or whether I should try to give myself a break and do something a little less demanding, so I have more time to focus on the classes that matter more. Not for career purposes really, just for time management.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

MCFC

Platinum

Post by MCFC » Sat Oct 24, 2015 9:50 am

I don't know if the numbers bear this out (the administration has hinted that they they do), but it seems plausible that you would do better in a 2L/3L course than a course full of your fellow 1Ls because some percentage of the 2 and 3Ls will be checked out.

Of the upper level courses offered, I've heard people were so so on Richman. Raskolnikov is great, but there's always the risk you just don't like tax, in which case you might be in for a rough semester.

Nebby

Diamond

Post by Nebby » Sat Oct 24, 2015 10:05 am

If you like ConLaw, then you will like Admin. Though I've never had Strauss so I cannot speak to his teaching ability, and Admin is a class that benefits greatly from a well-structured and organized teaching method, such as JBP.

smaug

Diamond

Post by smaug » Sat Oct 24, 2015 10:08 am

Nebby wrote:If you like ConLaw, then you will like Admin. Though I've never had Strauss so I cannot speak to his teaching ability, and Admin is a class that benefits greatly from a well-structured and organized teaching method, such as JBP.
don't take admin w/ strauss as a 1l

admin is already a gunner honeypot, w/ strauss moreso

take a class w/ 2Ls that isn't gunnery or hard

dabigchina

Gold

Post by dabigchina » Sat Oct 24, 2015 11:12 am

has anyone taken fed income tax with raskolnikov? is the curve decent? is it a lot of work?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Tiago Splitter

Diamond

Post by Tiago Splitter » Sat Oct 24, 2015 1:08 pm

dabigchina wrote:has anyone taken fed income tax with raskolnikov? is the curve decent? is it a lot of work?
It's not a lot of work and if you have the right background you should do very well. Plus Rasko is awesome.

dabigchina

Gold

Post by dabigchina » Sat Oct 24, 2015 1:15 pm

Tiago Splitter wrote:
dabigchina wrote:has anyone taken fed income tax with raskolnikov? is the curve decent? is it a lot of work?
It's not a lot of work and if you have the right background you should do very well. Plus Rasko is awesome.
niceeee thanks

MCFC

Platinum

Post by MCFC » Fri Oct 30, 2015 11:21 am

Anyone know if anything interesting is going to replace Camille's?

John_Luther1989

Bronze

Post by John_Luther1989 » Fri Oct 30, 2015 11:34 am

It's worth noting that you can take any class you want in the spring except clinics, externships, and colloquia. If a professor will allow you in a class, it has space, and it fits into your schedule then you can take it. The 1L list is just a starting point, but it's represented as exhaustive. The only drawback is that you'll have to pick up the class you want in add/drop.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

GoneSouth

Bronze

Post by GoneSouth » Sun Nov 01, 2015 5:01 pm

John_Luther1989 wrote:It's worth noting that you can take any class you want in the spring except clinics, externships, and colloquia. If a professor will allow you in a class, it has space, and it fits into your schedule then you can take it. The 1L list is just a starting point, but it's represented as exhaustive. The only drawback is that you'll have to pick up the class you want in add/drop.
Wow, this is good to know. They certainly don't tell anyone that

John_Luther1989

Bronze

Post by John_Luther1989 » Sun Nov 01, 2015 8:44 pm

GoneSouth wrote:
John_Luther1989 wrote:It's worth noting that you can take any class you want in the spring except clinics, externships, and colloquia. If a professor will allow you in a class, it has space, and it fits into your schedule then you can take it. The 1L list is just a starting point, but it's represented as exhaustive. The only drawback is that you'll have to pick up the class you want in add/drop.
Wow, this is good to know. They certainly don't tell anyone that
If you see a class you want and the system or registrar gives you a hard time, email the professor and ask them to tell the registrar it's okay.

Nebby

Diamond

Post by Nebby » Mon Nov 02, 2015 10:59 am

I'm moving back to NY and just need housing for the semester. Any reason I should be weary of the 400 block apartments? I figured I'd apply there because they seem the cheapest.

banjo

Silver

Post by banjo » Mon Nov 02, 2015 5:41 pm

MCFC wrote:Anyone know if anything interesting is going to replace Camille's?
Yep, this: http://www.artsandcraftsbarnyc.com/index.html

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”