Columbia students taking questions Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
ph5354a

Gold

Re: Columbia students taking questions

Post by ph5354a » Wed Jul 20, 2016 9:30 pm

GoneSouth wrote:
DCfilterDC wrote:
LifeGoals wrote:So I'm moving in 10 days before registration. Anyone have any suggestions of what I should do during that time? I don't know a ton of people in the area, so I'd like to get out and be sociable before classes start.
10 days before registration? so like a week before orientation? there will probably be a community service event the friday before too, that you should go to to meet people. Which would cut your days even shorter. if you're in cls housing id try chatting up with neighbors
Post something in the CLS 2019 Facebook group closer to when you move in. Last year 1Ls who got to NYC early used that to organize some meet ups.
Moved in August 8, 2013. Went to a TLS meet up that night. Got so drunk that I couldn't make my bed. Passed out with my face plastered to a bare mattress on the floor.

TLS c/o 2016 was something special.

LifeGoals

New

Post by LifeGoals » Wed Jul 20, 2016 11:31 pm

DCfilterDC wrote:
LifeGoals wrote:So I'm moving in 10 days before registration. Anyone have any suggestions of what I should do during that time? I don't know a ton of people in the area, so I'd like to get out and be sociable before classes start.
10 days before registration? so like a week before orientation? there will probably be a community service event the friday before too, that you should go to to meet people. Which would cut your days even shorter. if you're in cls housing id try chatting up with neighbors
Yeah, I move in on that Friday (5th), charity thing is the next Friday (12th), then orientation starts on the Monday (15th).

RSN

Silver

Post by RSN » Wed Jul 20, 2016 11:48 pm

LifeGoals wrote:
DCfilterDC wrote:
Yeah, I move in on that Friday (5th), charity thing is the next Friday (12th), then orientation starts on the Monday (15th).
I mean this is kind of practical and boring, but it's a good time to stock up on dry goods, toiletries, that kind of stuff, as well as any apartment furnishings or anything else you'll need. I mean you can always go over to Duane Reade or something if you run out of deodorant in November, but it's better to just have extras already so you don't have to spend that time when you have 3 classes + LPW + readings + student org junk + outlining to do.

GoneSouth

Bronze

Post by GoneSouth » Thu Jul 21, 2016 1:12 am

LetsGoMets wrote:
LifeGoals wrote:
DCfilterDC wrote:
I mean this is kind of practical and boring, but it's a good time to stock up on dry goods, toiletries, that kind of stuff, as well as any apartment furnishings or anything else you'll need. I mean you can always go over to Duane Reade or something if you run out of deodorant in November, but it's better to just have extras already so you don't have to spend that time when you have 3 classes + LPW + readings + student org junk + outlining to do.
Also cheesy, but if you haven't spent much time in NYC, I would recommend using the week to do some of the touristy New York things (Statute of Liberty, museums, etc.) because while it probably seems like you'll be able to do those any time, it gets much much harder to talk yourself into going below like 110th St. once 1L classes start

Monochromatic Oeuvre

Gold

Post by Monochromatic Oeuvre » Thu Jul 21, 2016 9:51 am

ph5354a wrote:
GoneSouth wrote:
DCfilterDC wrote:
Post something in the CLS 2019 Facebook group closer to when you move in. Last year 1Ls who got to NYC early used that to organize some meet ups.
Moved in August 8, 2013. Went to a TLS meet up that night. Got so drunk that I couldn't make my bed. Passed out with my face plastered to a bare mattress on the floor.

Can confirm PH got shitfaced within a couple hours of meeting us.

That first night at the Pourhouse was also something of a wreck.

Although worth noting for posterity that if someone asks you how to know people already, you can't say "I...uh...WE TELL FORDHAM-BOUND KIDS TO RETAKE THEIR TTT 164s."

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

benwyatt

Platinum

Post by benwyatt » Thu Jul 21, 2016 9:58 am

Monochromatic Oeuvre wrote:
ph5354a wrote:
GoneSouth wrote:
DCfilterDC wrote:

Although worth noting for posterity that if someone asks you how to know people already, you can't say "I...uh...WE TELL FORDHAM-BOUND KIDS TO RETAKE THEIR TTT 164s."
:lol:

ph5354a

Gold

Post by ph5354a » Thu Jul 21, 2016 10:00 am

benwyatt wrote:
ph5354a wrote:
GoneSouth wrote:
DCfilterDC wrote:

:lol:
I usually just mumbled something about the Internet and ran away. A true TLSer.

txdude45

Silver

Post by txdude45 » Thu Jul 21, 2016 4:11 pm

Checking in to TBT to meeting the TLS people at Pourhouse fall '13. Where did the time go?

Monochromatic Oeuvre

Gold

Post by Monochromatic Oeuvre » Thu Jul 21, 2016 10:14 pm

txdude45 wrote:Checking in to TBT to meeting the TLS people at Pourhouse fall '13. Where did the time go?
It went to two separate girlfriends you've prompted to ask me who "that guy" is after 30 seconds of talking to you.

And also 1L's crippling anxiety, 2L's 31 credits + major writing + journal + asshole pro bono manager, and 3L's poker, pickup ball at Dodge, and hundreds of online chess games in my apartment, having not managed to put on pants by 3 PM.

What a transition from 1L October alone in JG 501 at 2 AM trying to figure out how to apply Shady Grove, to 3L May at Lion's Head promising to myself that I'll start that paper due Tuesday in a few hours.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

GoneSouth

Bronze

Post by GoneSouth » Fri Jul 22, 2016 11:23 am

If you're on a secondary journal with a note requirement, do you have to submit your note for publication in that journal? Or can you try to get it published in the Columbia Law Review/elsewhere?

maroon175

Bronze

Post by maroon175 » Mon Jul 25, 2016 9:15 am

what are other fun/efficient ways to complete your pro bono requirement apart from spring break caravans?

almondjoy

Bronze

Post by almondjoy » Mon Jul 25, 2016 9:36 am

maroon175 wrote:what are other fun/efficient ways to complete your pro bono requirement apart from spring break caravans?
The most efficient way is to just do something public interest related over your 1L summer.

jbagelboy

Diamond

Post by jbagelboy » Mon Jul 25, 2016 9:58 am

ph5354a wrote:
GoneSouth wrote:
DCfilterDC wrote:

You're making me tear up. Those days of bygone youth!

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

jbagelboy

Diamond

Post by jbagelboy » Mon Jul 25, 2016 10:03 am

txdude45 wrote:Checking in to TBT to meeting the TLS people at Pourhouse fall '13. Where did the time go?
It went to two separate girlfriends you've prompted to ask me who "that guy" is after 30 seconds of talking to you.

And also 1L's crippling anxiety, 2L's 31 credits + major writing + journal + asshole pro bono manager, and 3L's poker, pickup ball at Dodge, and hundreds of online chess games in my apartment, having not managed to put on pants by 3 PM.

What a transition from 1L October alone in JG 501 at 2 AM trying to figure out how to apply Shady Grove, to 3L May at Lion's Head promising to myself that I'll start that paper due Tuesday in a few hours.
We were fuckers from day one - lets not massage it

Nebby

Diamond

Post by Nebby » Mon Jul 25, 2016 12:29 pm

maroon175 wrote:what are other fun/efficient ways to complete your pro bono requirement apart from spring break caravans?
Do PI and do 11 weeks

Nebby

Diamond

Post by Nebby » Mon Jul 25, 2016 12:33 pm

GoneSouth wrote:If you're on a secondary journal with a note requirement, do you have to submit your note for publication in that journal? Or can you try to get it published in the Columbia Law Review/elsewhere?
You can try and get it published elsewhere. The note requirement is just that you have to do it

dabigchina

Gold

Post by dabigchina » Mon Jul 25, 2016 1:57 pm

Nebby wrote:
Do PI and do 11 weeks
i thought it was 9? (We get paid for 8 weeks).

Assuming the ship has sailed on that though, what is a good way to get pro bono?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Nebby

Diamond

Post by Nebby » Mon Jul 25, 2016 1:59 pm

dabigchina wrote:
Nebby wrote:
Do PI and do 11 weeks
i thought it was 9? (We get paid for 8 weeks).

Assuming the ship has sailed on that though, what is a good way to get pro bono?
My B. Yep it's 9, it's 11 for 2Ls.

Do the DC externship program and stay an extra week. It's seriously amazing. You work full time, no homework, make new connections, network, live in DC (better than NY imo), gain real experience, no finals, and stay an extra week to get your pro bono! (there's pretty much no set end date--you could theoretically stay until January if your placement would let you)

White Dwarf

Bronze

Post by White Dwarf » Mon Jul 25, 2016 10:27 pm

When does orientation for secondary journals generally happen? Or do they vary too much to say?

CLSGumbo

New

Post by CLSGumbo » Tue Jul 26, 2016 11:59 am

Does my expected family contribution affect the amount of grad plus loans if I already qualify for the maximum stafford loans?

LoganCouture

Gold

Post by LoganCouture » Wed Jul 27, 2016 5:59 pm

Anyone had Milhaupt for Corps? Thoughts?

p.s. if it was a good class and you have a good outline I'd be eternally grateful

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Nebby

Diamond

Post by Nebby » Wed Jul 27, 2016 8:08 pm

I miss Amir's

nicknar

Bronze

Post by nicknar » Thu Jul 28, 2016 12:43 am

Nebby wrote:I miss Amir's
! Do you say this because you no longer live near Amir's or because Amir's closed?

Am moving back to New York after a year's absence and will be heartbroken if the latter is true.

Nebby

Diamond

Post by Nebby » Thu Jul 28, 2016 12:47 am

nicknar wrote:
! Do you say this because you no longer live near Amir's or because Amir's closed?

Am moving back to New York after a year's absence and will be heartbroken if the latter is true.
No longer live in NY :(
I was looking for a place in Chicago that matched and the place I tried wasn't as good

nicknar

Bronze

Post by nicknar » Thu Jul 28, 2016 1:41 am

Nebby wrote:
nicknar wrote:

No longer live in NY :(
I was looking for a place in Chicago that matched and the place I tried wasn't as good
Ok good so then I clearly made the right choice picking Columbia over UChicago.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”