Columbia students taking questions Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
piccolittle

Silver

Re: Columbia 1L(s) taking questions

Post by piccolittle » Tue Sep 10, 2013 10:55 am

I have a huge amount of supplements that I'm looking to get rid of if anyone wants to buy them. No idea what I have (though I definitely have the Understanding Property book - that series is amazing), but if you're interested, PM me with your classes and I'll tell you what I have.

Edit: I'm a 3L, so I have upper-level class materials as well as 1L stuff.

amsong

Bronze

Post by amsong » Tue Sep 10, 2013 8:32 pm

I am irrationally anxious about the Legal Methods exam. I am being irrational, yes? It isn't actually possible for me to fail if I paid attention-ish in class?

Tiago Splitter

Diamond

Post by Tiago Splitter » Tue Sep 10, 2013 9:32 pm

amsong wrote:I am irrationally anxious about the Legal Methods exam. I am being irrational, yes? It isn't actually possible for me to fail if I paid attention-ish in class?
Yes, yes

amsong

Bronze

Post by amsong » Tue Sep 10, 2013 9:53 pm

Tiago Splitter wrote:
amsong wrote:I am irrationally anxious about the Legal Methods exam. I am being irrational, yes? It isn't actually possible for me to fail if I paid attention-ish in class?
Yes, yes
<3

cls16chick

New

Post by cls16chick » Tue Sep 10, 2013 10:48 pm

Ryan that does bar review...drool... surprised to see a hot guy here

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

alpha kenny body

Gold

Post by alpha kenny body » Wed Sep 11, 2013 4:50 am

cls16chick wrote:Ryan that does bar review...drool... surprised to see a hot guy here
Beta-male move shown here. Guy makes a fake account to call himself hot; what is this, amateur hour?

helix23

Gold

Post by helix23 » Wed Sep 11, 2013 9:33 pm

Tiago Splitter wrote:
moonman157 wrote:Looking to buy supplements for these classes. Can anyone offer suggestions?

Torts: Rapacynski
Civ Pro: Goldberg
Contracts: Kraus

Or offer any tips/advice for these professors. That would be appreciated as well. Thanks!
The only must have supplement for any of those classes is the Glannon Civ Pro E&E, but I didn't have Goldberg.

I did have the other two profs. Kraus is pretty much a lost cause. All you can do is go to class, take notes, and do the assigned readings. Also go to the TA sessions. The final will be difficult, but it's difficult for everyone, so just hang in there. I didn't use supplements for that class because he said you shouldn't but I would have used them if I could do it over again. Someone else may be able to chime in regarding the best options.

Rapa's final is closed book and mostly multiple choice. You can do well by simply reading and re-reading the relevant material in the casebook as it gets closer to the end. I probably read each chapter at least one extra time between Thanksgiving and the final, and did tons of multiple choice practice questions with a small group as well. Since it's closed book you'll do really well if you know the book cold. It's very much unlike the typical law school exam but if you are good at memorizing that's not a bad thing.

If any of you 1L's wanna know more feel free to PM.
Thanks for this!

jbagelboy

Diamond

Post by jbagelboy » Sun Sep 15, 2013 11:35 am

Question for the new 2L's - is it better to take the legal methods exam handwritten or with a laptop? we have the option of either. is it a strictly stylistic preference, or is one definitely superior? Thanks again!

kwais

Gold

Post by kwais » Sun Sep 15, 2013 12:18 pm

jbagelboy wrote:Question for the new 2L's - is it better to take the legal methods exam handwritten or with a laptop? we have the option of either. is it a strictly stylistic preference, or is one definitely superior? Thanks again!
Unless you are a terrible typer, it is superior to use a laptop for exams. The number of people I've heard of taking a hand-written exam is miniscule.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

smaug_

Gold

Post by smaug_ » Sun Sep 15, 2013 4:57 pm

jbagelboy wrote:Question for the new 2L's - is it better to take the legal methods exam handwritten or with a laptop? we have the option of either. is it a strictly stylistic preference, or is one definitely superior? Thanks again!
Typing is definitely superior. No question.

amsong

Bronze

Post by amsong » Sun Sep 22, 2013 11:33 am

Ginsburg's Legal Methods exam is "unlimited open book". What does this mean?

lunaraeon

Bronze

Post by lunaraeon » Sun Sep 22, 2013 11:38 am

amsong wrote:Ginsburg's Legal Methods exam is "unlimited open book". What does this mean?
Ours is limited open book, with certain things allowed but everything else disallowed. I imagine "unlimited" means you could bring comic books in if you really wanted to, but more practically any printed materials you think are helpful.

smaug_

Gold

Post by smaug_ » Sun Sep 22, 2013 11:40 am

It doesn't matter because the legal methods exam is a joke. I though you all already had this on Friday!?

Anyway, don't worry about anything for legal methods. You can't prepare for it like a real exam because it isn't one. Just go in and BS for a bit and enjoy the rest of your day off.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

amsong

Bronze

Post by amsong » Sun Sep 22, 2013 11:50 am

hibiki wrote:It doesn't matter because the legal methods exam is a joke. I though you all already had this on Friday!?

Anyway, don't worry about anything for legal methods. You can't prepare for it like a real exam because it isn't one. Just go in and BS for a bit and enjoy the rest of your day off.
We have it this coming friday. I wasn't going to take it seriously, but why is it 4 hours long?!

No, you're right though. I'm going to focus on packing my things so I can finally move to my new place.

amsong

Bronze

Post by amsong » Sun Sep 22, 2013 11:50 am

lunaraeon wrote:
amsong wrote:Ginsburg's Legal Methods exam is "unlimited open book". What does this mean?
Ours is limited open book, with certain things allowed but everything else disallowed. I imagine "unlimited" means you could bring comic books in if you really wanted to, but more practically any printed materials you think are helpful.
I don't know, man, Daredevil might have a lot to say about statutory interpretation.

Tiago Splitter

Diamond

Post by Tiago Splitter » Sun Sep 22, 2013 11:56 am

amsong wrote: We have it this coming friday. I wasn't going to take it seriously, but why is it 4 hours long?!
They give you four hours but you can probably finish it in less than half that time. Don't freak out if you're still working past the two hour mark, but if you finish in like 90 minutes and have legitimately answered the questions turn your stuff in and go have fun.

amsong

Bronze

Post by amsong » Sun Sep 22, 2013 6:19 pm

Tiago Splitter wrote:
amsong wrote: We have it this coming friday. I wasn't going to take it seriously, but why is it 4 hours long?!
They give you four hours but you can probably finish it in less than half that time. Don't freak out if you're still working past the two hour mark, but if you finish in like 90 minutes and have legitimately answered the questions turn your stuff in and go have fun.
Hooray! Thanks.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Sgt Pepper

New

Post by Sgt Pepper » Sun Sep 22, 2013 6:42 pm

Is it worth it to go to the review session for the test or do you think we'll be alright without it?

smaug_

Gold

Post by smaug_ » Sun Sep 22, 2013 6:57 pm

Sgt Pepper wrote:Is it worth it to go to the review session for the test or do you think we'll be alright without it?
You'll assuredly be alright without it. I don't know of anybody failing legal methods. From what I heard in the past when someone failed legal methods they just got coffee with the prof. and discussed the exam. Seriously, don't waste any time on it.

MCFC

Platinum

Post by MCFC » Sun Sep 22, 2013 9:39 pm

hibiki wrote:
Sgt Pepper wrote:Is it worth it to go to the review session for the test or do you think we'll be alright without it?
You'll assuredly be alright without it. I don't know of anybody failing legal methods. From what I heard in the past when someone failed legal methods they just got coffee with the prof. and discussed the exam. Seriously, don't waste any time on it.
Ginsburg seemed to indicate that those who didn't do so well would get to take another exam. Not worried about it, but that would be a timesuck I'd like to avoid.

smaug_

Gold

Post by smaug_ » Mon Sep 23, 2013 12:37 am

MCFC wrote:Ginsburg seemed to indicate that those who didn't do so well would get to take another exam. Not worried about it, but that would be a timesuck I'd like to avoid.
Nobody fails legal methods.

Also, this same logic applies to LPW once you get into that. (But LPW is actually fun so it's OK to put effort into that, I think.)

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

moonman157

Silver

Post by moonman157 » Mon Sep 23, 2013 12:52 am

hibiki wrote:
MCFC wrote:Ginsburg seemed to indicate that those who didn't do so well would get to take another exam. Not worried about it, but that would be a timesuck I'd like to avoid.

Also, this same logic applies to LPW once you get into that. (But LPW is actually fun so it's OK to put effort into that, I think.)
How many people get Low Passes? LPW is not fun for me right now :(

smaug_

Gold

Post by smaug_ » Mon Sep 23, 2013 12:54 am

moonman157 wrote:How many people get Low Passes? LPW is not fun for me right now :(
Nobody. (I seriously haven't heard of one. It would take effort.) Depending on your prof more than one person might end up with a high pass. The high pass is like a gold star on your homework- it's shiny and it might make you happy but nobody really gives a damn.

Second semester LPW is more fun and you're going to need to learn this shit. Just roll with it. It isn't hard work.

jbagelboy

Diamond

Post by jbagelboy » Mon Sep 23, 2013 1:23 am

hibiki wrote:
moonman157 wrote:How many people get Low Passes? LPW is not fun for me right now :(
Nobody. (I seriously haven't heard of one. It would take effort.) Depending on your prof more than one person might end up with a high pass. The high pass is like a gold star on your homework- it's shiny and it might make you happy but nobody really gives a damn.

Second semester LPW is more fun and you're going to need to learn this shit. Just roll with it. It isn't hard work.
My impression is that you have to actively fuck up for a low pass, like miss class w/o notice, or turn something in late. If you show up & complete assignments on time to a reasonable standard you're okay for a pass

Bronck

Gold

Post by Bronck » Mon Sep 23, 2013 2:55 am

hibiki wrote:

Fun? Naw dawg. I half-assed it. Don't even worry about page limits, nobody cares. You'll pass.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”