Columbia students taking questions

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
Thelaw23

Silver

Re: Columbia students taking questions

Postby Thelaw23 » Fri Jan 26, 2018 6:52 pm

So what's the usual process of TA'ing? Do we email the professor if we got a good grade or wait for the professor to contact us?

I was assuming the Profs contact us in a few months when they start getting ready for Fall 2018 classes.

RSN

Silver

Postby RSN » Fri Jan 26, 2018 11:03 pm

Thelaw23 wrote:So what's the usual process of TA'ing? Do we email the professor if we got a good grade or wait for the professor to contact us?

I was assuming the Profs contact us in a few months when they start getting ready for Fall 2018 classes.

Seems like this was pretty well answered 3 posts above, but usually you wait for the professor to reach out. Some do it right after they post grades, some wait until later in the semester/summer. If you got an A or an A+ and you'd be interested TA'ing, it doesn't necessarily hurt to reach out and ask, but my understanding is that generally if they want you they'll come to you.

ticket

New

Postby ticket » Mon Jan 29, 2018 9:19 pm

Has anybody ever had success in negotiating up from a Butler to a Hamilton? (If stats are relevant - 177/3.92)

bleepbloop11

New

Postby bleepbloop11 » Mon Feb 05, 2018 3:25 pm

TheoO

Silver

Postby TheoO » Thu Feb 08, 2018 12:22 am

ticket wrote:Has anybody ever had success in negotiating up from a Butler to a Hamilton? (If stats are relevant - 177/3.92)

I don't think you can negotiate up for these.

Foodz

New

Postby Foodz » Tue Feb 27, 2018 3:04 pm

Anyone have an past midterms/finals for corporate finance with Fox?

BrainsyK

Bronze

Postby BrainsyK » Thu Jul 05, 2018 3:26 am

Does anyone know when interview add/drop time/date is?

GoneSouth

Bronze

Postby GoneSouth » Sat Jul 21, 2018 7:12 pm

What happened to Victor Caldwell?

BrainsyK

Bronze

Postby BrainsyK » Sat Jul 21, 2018 7:17 pm

GoneSouth wrote:What happened to Victor Caldwell?

Asked some classmates who are looking to clerk, no one knows. I'm gonna guess it took him about 5 minutes to see that the whole situation was a dumpster fire and stayed a respectable amount of time before getting out.

dabigchina

Silver

Postby dabigchina » Sat Jul 21, 2018 7:27 pm

BrainsyK wrote:

Asked some classmates who are looking to clerk, no one knows. I'm gonna guess it took him about 5 minutes to see that the whole situation was a dumpster fire and stayed a respectable amount of time before getting out.

Holy crap, he's gone? I remember people hoping he was going to turn it around.

BrainsyK

Bronze

Postby BrainsyK » Sat Jul 21, 2018 7:30 pm

dabigchina wrote:
BrainsyK wrote:

I... think so...? Either that or he's on the way out. That's what I've heard from 2 people who are interested in clerkships. I know nothing about clerking so I'm not the best source. I assumed that that was the original question about him was about.
Last edited by BrainsyK on Sat Jul 21, 2018 7:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dabigchina

Silver

Postby dabigchina » Sat Jul 21, 2018 7:33 pm

BrainsyK wrote:
dabigchina wrote:
BrainsyK wrote:

I... think so...? Either that or he's on the way out. That's what I've heard from 2 people who are interested in clerk. I know nothing about clerking so I'm not the best source. I assumed that that was the original question about him was about.

Meh I got no skin in the game either. I just think it's funny because there was so much buzz around him coming in to shake up the Clerkship program.

GoneSouth

Bronze

Postby GoneSouth » Sun Jul 22, 2018 11:10 am

Complete speculation, but I think there's a non-zero chance he was let go. I've heard uniformly negative things about him from students who were looking for clerkship advice, and the current dean of SJI didn't hire him.

I'm also not sure why there was so much buzz about him shaking up the clerkship program. He had no experience in the field other than clerking himself several years ago.

I'm not sure why Columbia can't hire throw a Brinks truck at clerkship director from a lower-ranked school (maybe a place like UC Irvine? They seem to have decent success placing clerks). Or someone who's worked in the clerkship office at a school like Harvard or Yale. The value of a clerkship office is having there who has relationships with judges and can put in a bug in their ear about students who would be a good match, or who at least can get a handle on when they're hiring.

Foodz

New

Postby Foodz » Wed Sep 05, 2018 10:52 am

Anyone have a coffee sec reg outline? Would super appreciate!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate?