Columbia students taking questions Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
Brentwood

New

Re: Columbia 1L(s) taking questions

Post by Brentwood » Mon Aug 10, 2015 7:47 pm

jbagelboy wrote: I'm not sure I'd go that far, I'd just say that for the CA firms I've interviewed with and worked at, your grades can be a little lower at CLS than at UVA, Penn, Duke, ect. Berkeley and Chicago are probably comparable. I'd re-frame it a little: at many less selective firms, your grades don't even really matter from Columbia if you have ties and a little hustle; at the highly selective firms, your grades will matter from every school (except yale, I suppose).

That being said, it's tougher to advise someone with 'relatively few ties to CA'. I think poor ties and bad grades would be the kiss of death for California; you need one or the other. If you do perform well, you'll create California options, although you have to be strategic since class sizes are a lot smaller (especially in SF) than at New York firms.

I wouldn't go to Columbia over another school in the T14 strictly on the basis of more powerful placement in California. The school's greatest asset is still its placement into the most elite firms in the new york market.
Absolutely, that makes sense. Was just curious if the mobility spiel is more fiction than fact. Thanks for the insight

cws277

Bronze

Post by cws277 » Tue Aug 11, 2015 11:33 am

playwright wrote:Trying to decide whether I need to buy a window AC before moving in.

Would it make more sense to move in and measure my window before getting one?
Also, is it easy to install the unit yourself?
Definitely measure your window first. There are plenty of places to get them cheap in NYC in Morningside (but better to just go to PC Richards on UWS). And you can install it yourself pretty easily but if you install it wrong and your super is a fucking asshole, he will remove it from your window when the city does a facade inspection. This happened to me.

dlrkgml

New

Post by dlrkgml » Tue Aug 11, 2015 12:09 pm

Do law students generally sign up for dining plans/flex/dining dollars? Or might I be the only law student at a cafeteria with 19 years olds?

Tiago Splitter

Diamond

Post by Tiago Splitter » Tue Aug 11, 2015 12:20 pm

dlrkgml wrote:Do law students generally sign up for dining plans/flex/dining dollars? Or might I be the only law student at a cafeteria with 19 years olds?
To be honest I don't think I knew that was possible. You can eat for free in the law school most days.

RSN

Silver

Post by RSN » Tue Aug 11, 2015 2:15 pm

Tiago Splitter wrote:
dlrkgml wrote:Do law students generally sign up for dining plans/flex/dining dollars? Or might I be the only law student at a cafeteria with 19 years olds?
To be honest I don't think I knew that was possible. You can eat for free in the law school most days.
Not answering or asking a question, just saying only kind of facetiously this was a major selling point for me picking schools (even if it's Famiglia most days, still pretty excited about it).

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

AdamDeMamp

New

Post by AdamDeMamp » Tue Aug 11, 2015 2:19 pm

LetsGoMets wrote:
Tiago Splitter wrote:
Not answering or asking a question, just saying only kind of facetiously this was a major selling point for me picking schools (even if it's Famiglia most days, still pretty excited about it).
I had the dining dollars during 1L and went to undergrad dining areas once. I was the only person above the age of 21 in there, it was awkward, I never went back.

However, the dining dollars also work in Lenfest Cafe, which is located within the law school. Its food mostly sucks but if you just want to grab something to eat without leaving the law school it's really your only option.

I used flex 1L because you could use it for Tapingo (which is Seamless but with fewer options) and it was an easy way to conceal from my parents how much money I was spending on ordering food. But when it ran out I didn't renew it and haven't missed it.

jbagelboy

Diamond

Post by jbagelboy » Tue Aug 11, 2015 2:20 pm

LetsGoMets wrote:
Tiago Splitter wrote:
yea, and that's really a backup option. you can usually find sandwiches or thai or bbq if you don't have dat 10:40-12 slot.

jbagelboy

Diamond

Post by jbagelboy » Tue Aug 11, 2015 2:21 pm

AdamDeMamp wrote:
LetsGoMets wrote:
Tiago Splitter wrote:
I had the dining dollars during 1L and went to undergrad dining areas once. I was the only person above the age of 21 in there, it was awkward, I never went back.

However, the dining dollars also work in Lenfest Cafe, which is located within the law school. Its food mostly sucks but if you just want to grab something to eat without leaving the law school it's really your only option.

I used flex 1L because you could use it for Tapingo (which is Seamless but with fewer options) and it was an easy way to conceal from my parents how much money I was spending on ordering food. But when it ran out I didn't renew it and haven't missed it.
lol. that's pretty cool, I didn't know about that. But how would your parents know how much seamless you were ordering. i would never give my parents access to my banking info.

AdamDeMamp

New

Post by AdamDeMamp » Tue Aug 11, 2015 2:47 pm

jbagelboy wrote:
AdamDeMamp wrote:
LetsGoMets wrote:
Tiago Splitter wrote:

lol. that's pretty cool, I didn't know about that. But how would your parents know how much seamless you were ordering. i would never give my parents access to my banking info.
Was using a family credit card for Seamless. But when they put money into Flex it was a one-time thing and they couldn't see how I spent it after that

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

White Dwarf

Bronze

Post by White Dwarf » Wed Aug 12, 2015 7:14 pm

On another note, does anyone know when Orientation starts on Monday? The schedule just says "All Day"
Last edited by White Dwarf on Sat Aug 15, 2015 3:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

RSN

Silver

Post by RSN » Wed Aug 12, 2015 7:47 pm

White Dwarf wrote:Ugh, the common areas in my 3br apartment share are absolutely disgusting. It's like one of those houses from Hoarders, just without all the stuff.

On another note, does anyone know when Orientation starts on Monday? The schedule just says "All Day"
Last Friday email from admissions:
Friday Features wrote:Orientation: Check-in for our mandatory two-day Orientation on Monday, August 17, from 9:00 to 9:45 a.m., outside Drapkin Lounge on the 2nd floor of Jerome Greene Hall.

White Dwarf

Bronze

Post by White Dwarf » Wed Aug 12, 2015 8:48 pm

Thanks! For some reason Friday Features were being sent to my spam folder.

janwlee

New

Post by janwlee » Fri Aug 14, 2015 11:12 pm

Growing concerned about getting textbooks. So expensive!!

I think I read somewhere that there will be a "used book fair" thing happening soon...does anyone have more specific information about that?

And more generally, would you recommend buying new books (=new editions)? Thanks in advance!

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

MCFC

Platinum

Post by MCFC » Sat Aug 15, 2015 8:09 am

Yeah, the PILF book fair. https://www.law.columbia.edu/calendar?& ... dar.detail I would get in line early, books tend to go fast.

As for books in general, 1L year I decided not to take any chances and just bought the latest editions of all my books.

Another thing to consider is that the library usually has a copy of the current text book. You can go there and just scan the reading for the week. That's what I did 2L year and it was pretty great. Though maybe the fact that I did the reading at all 2L year is a mark against me...

papercut

Silver

Post by papercut » Sat Aug 15, 2015 8:58 am

I think the casebooks aren't very important for your success. You really don't need to get much out of a case to do well in a class. Buy used for sure, and you can probably get away with using the old edition.

TheoO

Silver

Post by TheoO » Sat Aug 15, 2015 10:09 am

The printer is free, so if you want to, you can scan all the pages in the syllabus and save money.

Nebby

Diamond

Post by Nebby » Sat Aug 15, 2015 10:11 am

papercut wrote:I think the casebooks aren't very important for your success. You really don't need to get much out of a case to do well in a class. Buy used for sure, and you can probably get away with using the old edition.
I suggest the opposite of this advice, but everyone is different.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

jrc223

Bronze

Post by jrc223 » Sat Aug 15, 2015 2:55 pm

Does anybody go for a run outside? Any decent (read: non-sketch) places to run at night?

White Dwarf

Bronze

Post by White Dwarf » Sat Aug 15, 2015 3:12 pm

Ran through Riverside Park this morning. Can't attest to it's safety after dark, but I'd think as long as you stay on the main path, you'd be fine.

Please correct me if I'm wrong, though.

MCFC

Platinum

Post by MCFC » Sat Aug 15, 2015 3:42 pm

The area is pretty great for running. I usually go in the mornings, but I feel safe at night both inCentral Park and just running on the sidewalks around the UWS.

The standard line is that you should avoid Morningside Park at night, and that's probably good advice.

Tiago Splitter

Diamond

Post by Tiago Splitter » Sat Aug 15, 2015 3:46 pm

There are always lots of people running in Central Park even after dark.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Nebby

Diamond

Post by Nebby » Sun Aug 16, 2015 9:25 am

Central Park is the best. And the main roads stays lit all night.

Monochromatic Oeuvre

Gold

Post by Monochromatic Oeuvre » Sun Aug 16, 2015 10:10 pm

MCFC wrote: Another thing to consider is that the library usually has a copy of the current text book. You can go there and just scan the reading for the week. That's what I did 2L year and it was pretty great. Though maybe the fact that I did the reading at all 2L year is a mark against me...
TCR is to find a few friends, each scan a full casebook, and email all the scans to each other. Saves money and your back all year. This does, however, require you to make at least two friends.

mylifeis24

Bronze

Post by mylifeis24 » Mon Aug 17, 2015 10:30 am

When are loan disbursements supposed to be made this semester?

MCFC

Platinum

Post by MCFC » Mon Aug 17, 2015 12:44 pm

mylifeis24 wrote:When are loan disbursements supposed to be made this semester?
Last year I got an email on 8/26 saying the loan had been disbursed. So I would hope in the next 10 days or so?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”