Columbia students taking questions Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
GoneSouth

Bronze

Re: Columbia students taking questions

Post by GoneSouth » Thu Feb 16, 2017 6:51 pm

A lot of people with families and kids live in Lenfest. I might look into that if it's within your budget.

FastRun

New

Post by FastRun » Thu Feb 16, 2017 6:58 pm

DCfilterDC wrote:
bluefox wrote: The commute from the Arbor is purported to be 25 minutes, which doesn't sound bad to me at all. Is there some other reason why the commute sucks so much?
"purported" but it can be longer. Also the shuttle schedule is awful. It doesn't come nearly as often as it says it does plus stops at 8 pm saturdays and doesn't run on sundays. Arbor isn't really near the subway so you're just kind of stranded up there. if you guys are home bodies who prefer to just live comfortably at home and not go down into manhattan much then Arbor does work. Otherwise, I feel there are way better options for you
I know a few people who live in the Arbor and it is doable, but rather inconvenient and time consuming for the reasons mentioned (the shuttle's failings and lack of a good subway substitute). I also know some people who live in two-bedroom (sometimes more like "one plus" bedroom, one bedroom for adults plus a very small additional room which could be an office or a little kid's bedroom) family housing on the UWS. I'd recommend that you apply for family housing on the UWS as first preference and the Arbor as second. The convenience and lack of commute on the UWS far outweigh the amenities of the Arbor in my mind, but the Arbor may still be a better option than trying to find housing on your own, especially since your wife is also a student so I presume you're somewhat financially constrained.

dabigchina

Gold

Post by dabigchina » Fri Feb 17, 2017 5:29 pm

For people who sublet their place last summer: do you have to hand in your key to housing and have them give it to the subletter or can you just give your key directly to the subletter?

GreenEggs

Gold

Post by GreenEggs » Fri Feb 17, 2017 5:57 pm

dabigchina wrote:For people who sublet their place last summer: do you have to hand in your key to housing and have them give it to the subletter or can you just give your key directly to the subletter?
You can just give it to your subletter directly. There's some easy paperwork you have to "technically" fill out for subletters tho.
Last edited by GreenEggs on Fri Jan 26, 2018 8:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dabigchina

Gold

Post by dabigchina » Fri Feb 17, 2017 6:00 pm

DCfilterDC wrote:
dabigchina wrote:For people who sublet their place last summer: do you have to hand in your key to housing and have them give it to the subletter or can you just give your key directly to the subletter?
You can just give it to your subletter directly. There's some easy paperwork you have to "technically" fill out for subletters tho.
Sweet thanks dude. Definitely looking forward to not paying rent for a while.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

GoneSouth

Bronze

Post by GoneSouth » Sun Feb 19, 2017 3:21 pm

Definitely don't give the key to housing. They probably won't accept it anyway, and I think technically it can be construed as relinquishing your lease (or at least that's what they tried to scare us with). Just work it out with your sublettor, the only thing you have to do with Housing is get your sublease approved.

Fantasyfreak294

New

Re: Columbia 1L(s) taking questions

Post by Fantasyfreak294 » Sun Feb 19, 2017 3:56 pm

puppylaw wrote:Thanks for answering questions.

I'll probably be moving to New York with my non-law student significant other. We're both about 25. What neighborhoods should we look at? What websites should we use? When should we start looking and try to sign a lease? Any other tips for a couple?
Could you PM me if you get any really good advice on this? About to read the rest of the thread, but I'm wondering the same thing. Not sure if attending Columbia (still waiting to hear back from a few schools), but if I do attend, looking for affordable couple housing options/apartment complexes that aren't too much of a commute from campus.

FastRun

New

Re: Columbia 1L(s) taking questions

Post by FastRun » Sun Feb 19, 2017 8:05 pm

Fantasyfreak294 wrote:
puppylaw wrote:Thanks for answering questions.

I'll probably be moving to New York with my non-law student significant other. We're both about 25. What neighborhoods should we look at? What websites should we use? When should we start looking and try to sign a lease? Any other tips for a couple?
Could you PM me if you get any really good advice on this? About to read the rest of the thread, but I'm wondering the same thing. Not sure if attending Columbia (still waiting to hear back from a few schools), but if I do attend, looking for affordable couple housing options/apartment complexes that aren't too much of a commute from campus.
If there's even a chance you're coming to Columbia and are in a serious relationship with a SO who will be coming with, my biggest piece of advice is to go open a joint bank account with your SO first thing on Tuesday morning. If you aren't married and want couples housing, Columbia requires documentation of the relationship through a joint account and/or joint line of credit, joint ownership of a house or car, or prior joint least (all have to be for at least 6 months). Columbia-owned couples housing is pretty much unbeatable in terms of both location and price.

Feel free to PM me if you have specific questions.

Tiago Splitter

Diamond

Post by Tiago Splitter » Sun Feb 19, 2017 9:52 pm

Agree with the above. Do whatever you have to do to get CLS couples housing.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Thelaw23

Silver

Post by Thelaw23 » Mon Feb 20, 2017 4:49 pm

Hey guys, got a question about submitting the income tax forms. How do we submit it? Also, it seems like they need so much info submitted it's insane...

Edit: We need a special code emailed to us before we apply for on campus housing, right? And we only get it in March?
Last edited by Thelaw23 on Tue Feb 21, 2017 10:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

GreenEggs

Gold

Post by GreenEggs » Mon Feb 20, 2017 9:09 pm

Thelaw23 wrote:Hey guys, got a question about submitting the income tax forms. How do we submit it? Also, it seems like they need so much info submitted it's insane...

Edit: We need a special come emailed to us before we apply for on campus housing, right? And we only get it in March?
I think you fax your tax forms to Fin Aid? Just call them and ask.

TAD

Bronze

Post by TAD » Mon Feb 20, 2017 9:39 pm

Thelaw23 wrote:Hey guys, got a question about submitting the income tax forms. How do we submit it? Also, it seems like they need so much info submitted it's insane...

Edit: We need a special come emailed to us before we apply for on campus housing, right? And we only get it in March?
I'll save you the trouble since I already emailed them - you can fax it (preferable), email it (though they recommend against this because of privacy issues) or snail mail it.

Thelaw23

Silver

Post by Thelaw23 » Tue Feb 21, 2017 10:15 am

Thanks guys, will do so! Have to scramble to make it by the March 1st deadline.

Also, there is Columbia Law apparel sold in the store on campus, right? Because online it's just the Columbia University stuff. Want to show some people my appreciation with a gift.
Last edited by Thelaw23 on Tue Feb 21, 2017 10:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

almondjoy

Bronze

Post by almondjoy » Tue Feb 21, 2017 10:26 am

Thelaw23 wrote:Thanks guys, will do so! Have to scramble to make it by the March 1st deadline.

Also, there is Columbia Law apparel sold in the store on campus, right? Because online it's just the Columbia University stuff. Want to show some people my appreciation in helping me with a gift.
Yeah, the online store sucks. At the book store on campus there are law school hats, jackets, t-shirts, etc.

meeseeks

Silver

Post by meeseeks » Tue Feb 21, 2017 12:41 pm

Are there many dog friendly apartment buildings near campus? I have a german shepherd and I'm a little nervous about finding somewhere to live since a lot of places consider them an "aggressive breed"

benwyatt

Platinum

Post by benwyatt » Tue Feb 21, 2017 7:56 pm

almondjoy wrote:
Thelaw23 wrote:Thanks guys, will do so! Have to scramble to make it by the March 1st deadline.

Also, there is Columbia Law apparel sold in the store on campus, right? Because online it's just the Columbia University stuff. Want to show some people my appreciation in helping me with a gift.
Yeah, the online store sucks. At the book store on campus there are law school hats, jackets, t-shirts, etc.
tbh the bookstore sucks too.
they're missing out on a lot of revenue because most of the law school specific gear that's sold there isn't great

Tiago Splitter

Diamond

Post by Tiago Splitter » Tue Feb 21, 2017 8:21 pm

Mr. Meeseeks wrote:Are there many dog friendly apartment buildings near campus? I have a german shepherd and I'm a little nervous about finding somewhere to live since a lot of places consider them an "aggressive breed"
I lived on 112th and remember seeing a lot of dogs, even big ones. Don't remember german shepherds specifically but it doesn't seem like a deal breaker.

Also I feel like a lot of the housing rules around there are more like guidelines.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

benwyatt

Platinum

Post by benwyatt » Tue Feb 21, 2017 8:24 pm

Tiago Splitter wrote:
Mr. Meeseeks wrote:Are there many dog friendly apartment buildings near campus? I have a german shepherd and I'm a little nervous about finding somewhere to live since a lot of places consider them an "aggressive breed"
I lived on 112th and remember seeing a lot of dogs, even big ones. Don't remember german shepherds specifically but it doesn't seem like a deal breaker.

Also I feel like a lot of the housing rules around there are more like guidelines.
No one ever comes to check your apartment for compliance so it's more about if you have roommates who care or if your dog is a barker.

alpinespring

New

Post by alpinespring » Wed Feb 22, 2017 4:18 am

Thank you for taking the time to answer our questions.

Just out of curiosity: How would you describe the people who rank in the top 30% / 10% at CLS?

When academic superstars from all across America (and the world) gather in one place, I wonder who makes it to the top. When ~500 summa / magna cum laudes compete.... most with similar cognitive horsepower (as measured by LSAT)... what's the distinguishing factor?

Is it the gifted/savant types? Photographic memory? Feel like there's a clear limit to how much effort and discipline can make a difference? Do you need to be born with a certain talent (reading for 10 hours straight, etc) to do well at CLS?

Thank you in advance.

ugg

Diamond

Post by ugg » Wed Feb 22, 2017 8:30 am

benwyatt wrote:
Tiago Splitter wrote:

No one ever comes to check your apartment for compliance so it's more about if you have roommates who care or if your dog is a barker.
I wish I had known this coming in. My next door neighbors have a dog that barks incessantly and nothing has happened to them despite me complaining a few times. Just don't be this person, please.

almondjoy

Bronze

Post by almondjoy » Wed Feb 22, 2017 8:31 am

alpinespring wrote:Thank you for taking the time to answer our questions.

Just out of curiosity: How would you describe the people who rank in the top 30% / 10% at CLS?

When academic superstars from all across America (and the world) gather in one place, I wonder who makes it to the top. When ~500 summa / magna cum laudes compete.... most with similar cognitive horsepower (as measured by LSAT)... what's the distinguishing factor?

Is it the gifted/savant types? Photographic memory? Feel like there's a clear limit to how much effort and discipline can make a difference? Do you need to be born with a certain talent (reading for 10 hours straight, etc) to do well at CLS?

Thank you in advance.
While I do think raw intelligence matters a bit at the margins (i.e. you'd have a hard time convincing me that people who get Kent 1L aren't geniuses), in my opinion, for the vast majority of CLS students the differentiating factor is just the ability to effectively take a law school exam. For the most part, the substantive law learned in class is not that difficult. Everyone at CLS is "smart" enough to learn the material necessary for an A grade. The key is to be able to use that knowledge to write a good exam. There are tons of good guides on TLS about this that are helpful.

So no, I don't think being gifted/savant/having a photographic memory/being able to read for 10 hours straight is necessary at all to do well here. It just takes good exam-writing techniques.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

GreenEggs

Gold

Post by GreenEggs » Wed Feb 22, 2017 9:00 am

almondjoy wrote:

Thank you in advance.
While I do think raw intelligence matters a bit at the margins (i.e. you'd have a hard time convincing me that people who get Kent 1L aren't geniuses), in my opinion, for the vast majority of CLS students the differentiating factor is just the ability to effectively take a law school exam. For the most part, the substantive law learned in class is not that difficult. Everyone at CLS is "smart" enough to learn the material necessary for an A grade. The key is to be able to use that knowledge to write a good exam. There are tons of good guides on TLS about this that are helpful.

So no, I don't think being gifted/savant/having a photographic memory/being able to read for 10 hours straight is necessary at all to do well here. It just takes good exam-writing techniques.
Co-sign this, minus even some Kent scholars. Really there's maybe 1 or 2 "geniuses" here, in reality it's about working effectively and take exams right. That's kind of all it is.

Don't let fear that you don't belong be a reason you don't come or don't try opportunities once you're here. I struggled a ton with thinking that I was out of my league as a 1L, and that everyone around me had better/more prestigious backgrounds. You eventually realize none of it matters.

meeseeks

Silver

Post by meeseeks » Wed Feb 22, 2017 9:05 am

ugg wrote:
benwyatt wrote:
Tiago Splitter wrote:

I wish I had known this coming in. My next door neighbors have a dog that barks incessantly and nothing has happened to them despite me complaining a few times. Just don't be this person, please.
Appreciate the input guys! Definitely makes me feel better.

jbagelboy

Diamond

Post by jbagelboy » Wed Feb 22, 2017 2:53 pm

DCfilterDC wrote:
almondjoy wrote:

Thank you in advance.

Co-sign this, minus even some Kent scholars. Really there's maybe 1 or 2 "geniuses" here, in reality it's about working effectively and take exams right. That's kind of all it is.

Don't let fear that you don't belong be a reason you don't come or don't try opportunities once you're here. I struggled a ton with thinking that I was out of my league as a 1L, and that everyone around me had better/more prestigious backgrounds. You eventually realize none of it matters.
There are definitely more than 2 geniuses in any given CLS class in my experience. But they aren't all at the top of the class. To your point, taking a law school exam requires some aspects of traditional intelligence--strong writing and syntax, powerhouse analytics, some memorization--but it's definitely a unique skill that can be trained and the grades people get are not correlated that strongly to how their pure cognitive capabilities would rank (and certainly not to the "prestige" of their backgrounds at a school where almost everyone went to a good college).

Tiago Splitter

Diamond

Post by Tiago Splitter » Wed Feb 22, 2017 3:06 pm

If you're smart enough to get in you're smart enough. Let the imposter syndrome go.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”