Columbia students taking questions Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
doctorjuris

New

Re: Columbia students taking questions

Post by doctorjuris » Thu Jan 04, 2018 5:38 pm

Just received a C as a 3L. Anyone have any knowledge on the implications? I can still graduate right?

Nebby

Diamond

Post by Nebby » Thu Jan 04, 2018 6:09 pm

doctorjuris wrote:Just received a C as a 3L. Anyone have any knowledge on the implications? I can still graduate right?
I don't think there are any implications. You can still graduate.

Rule 1.1.1

Eighty-three (83) points of credit are required. Point credit is earned by satisfactory completion of a course, a seminar, or another activity with a grade of C or better, or with a grade of CR in a course, a seminar, or another activity permitting or requiring grading on a CR/F scale (see Rule 3.1).

GreenEggs

Gold

Post by GreenEggs » Thu Jan 04, 2018 6:30 pm

doctorjuris wrote:Just received a C as a 3L. Anyone have any knowledge on the implications? I can still graduate right?
Will you share what class as a warning for future students?
Last edited by GreenEggs on Fri Jan 26, 2018 8:20 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Foodz

New

Post by Foodz » Mon Jan 08, 2018 1:59 pm

Anyone take corporate finance with Fox? I haven't really taken a math class in five years and have no economic background, but I greatly enjoyed corporations. Anyone have strong opinions on the class?

KijiStewart

Bronze

Post by KijiStewart » Tue Jan 09, 2018 10:33 pm

2L here. Would taking 3 seminars out of 8 classes look slack given that firms probably know they're graded on an easier curve?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

New

Post by 41262 » Wed Jan 10, 2018 9:55 pm

any 2Ls remember if last year the registrar sent out LPW/legal methods grades before those for black letter classes?

1L here, wondering if the registrar is holding real grades to release all at once (like last year apparently), or if I should continue checking lawnet 10 times a day

jjcorvino

Silver

Post by jjcorvino » Fri Jan 12, 2018 11:30 am

1L grades are coming in. Just got my con-law!

SpikeSeagull

New

Post by SpikeSeagull » Fri Jan 12, 2018 11:48 am

Guess they're not releasing them all at once this year then... cuz I still have zero grades.

New

Post by 41262 » Fri Jan 12, 2018 1:01 pm

jjcorvino wrote:1L grades are coming in. Just got my con-law!
also got one this morning (in a different section). don't know why i was so eager to receive...

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

BigCreamy

New

Post by BigCreamy » Sat Jan 13, 2018 5:35 pm

Anyone know the deal with American Constitutional Law with Amar? It seems geared to LLMs (and in past years has sometimes been limited to them), but it says it's open to JDs this semester.

Seems like an easy A for JDs, and I'm genuinely interested in taking a class with Amar. Any reason not to (I don't care about it looking dumb on my transcript)?

Thelaw23

Silver

Post by Thelaw23 » Sat Jan 13, 2018 6:48 pm

BigCreamy wrote:Anyone know the deal with American Constitutional Law with Amar? It seems geared to LLMs (and in past years has sometimes been limited to them), but it says it's open to JDs this semester.

Seems like an easy A for JDs, and I'm genuinely interested in taking a class with Amar. Any reason not to (I don't care about it looking dumb on my transcript)?

Not an answer to the question but he seems like an awesome prof, I can see the class being very interesting.

tinyrickkk

New

Post by tinyrickkk » Sat Jan 13, 2018 7:53 pm

How hard is it for 1Ls to get into the MBA program? Would it be better to defer admission for a year and apply to the B-school before enrolling?

Thelaw23

Silver

Post by Thelaw23 » Sun Jan 14, 2018 11:07 am

Is there somewhere online which tells us our GPA instead of the letter grades? Or we have to count it ourselves?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

White Dwarf

Bronze

Post by White Dwarf » Sun Jan 14, 2018 11:17 am

Thelaw23 wrote:Is there somewhere online which tells us our GPA instead of the letter grades? Or we have to count it ourselves?
We have to do it ourselves. You can make a simple Excel sheet that does it easily, though.

jjcorvino

Silver

Post by jjcorvino » Sun Jan 14, 2018 2:39 pm

Thelaw23 wrote:Is there somewhere online which tells us our GPA instead of the letter grades? Or we have to count it ourselves?
Taking laziness to a whole new level bro. :lol:

BrainsyK

Bronze

Post by BrainsyK » Sun Jan 14, 2018 4:12 pm

tinyrickkk wrote:How hard is it for 1Ls to get into the MBA program? Would it be better to defer admission for a year and apply to the B-school before enrolling?
One person got into JD/MBA program in the middle of first semester. They were HYP + 1 year WE in non MBB consulting.

tinyrickkk

New

Post by tinyrickkk » Sun Jan 14, 2018 9:44 pm

BrainsyK wrote:
tinyrickkk wrote:How hard is it for 1Ls to get into the MBA program? Would it be better to defer admission for a year and apply to the B-school before enrolling?
One person got into JD/MBA program in the middle of first semester. They were HYP + 1 year WE in non MBB consulting.

Haha that describes me almost perfectly (2 years WE instead). Do you know how many people applied/apply? Is it very hard to get in?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

BrainsyK

Bronze

Post by BrainsyK » Mon Jan 15, 2018 5:18 am

tinyrickkk wrote:
BrainsyK wrote:

Haha that describes me almost perfectly (2 years WE instead). Do you know how many people applied/apply? Is it very hard to get in?
I mean... I'd imagine a 720+ on the GMAT or possibly 730+ since your GPA a bit lower than the CBS average would put you in a pretty good position numbers-wise. Other than that, I know that b-school is just not the same as law school. Acceptance rates are in the single digits so you never know with this stuff. Being there for a JD already definitely helps with the narrative you want to craft for why you want to get into the MBA program though. You're probably fine.

TheProsecutor

Bronze

Post by TheProsecutor » Mon Jan 15, 2018 12:12 pm

happyday wrote:
Thelaw23 wrote:
You are not going to be a bigger fish in a small aquarium in Columbia and be a smaller fish in a bigger aquarium in Harvard. I can almost gurantee you that the people in both schools are just as qualified and intelligent.

Pick the school you would be happier going to, then kill 1L to get to Wachtell. Regardless of your prior accomplishments or skills, law school is pretty different from other things you had to face, so if you get Wachrell is going to be completely dependent if you can "law school" well enough. I feel like if you can perform well enough to get Wachtell in Harvard you can do the same in CLS. Also the people telling you not to focus on a firm aren't being pessimistic, they're just very realistic. The whole law school thing comes down to luck and idiosyncrasies at certain points.

That aside, does anyone know an approximate time 1L grades get released? I heard it won't be we until into the beginning of the second semester but that's going to drive me crazy.
I totally understand that no one should focus on a single firm and I really appreciate everyone's advice :D Just very curious about Wachtell so wanted to ask about how Columbia students (or other top law schools) can actually get an offer from there. It seems that you need stellar grades and a LOT of luck, whether you go to CLS or HLS or YLS. And, from what you and several others say, it seems that HLS and CLS are NOT that different? I initially thought that competition at HLS for firms like Wachtell or W&C is tangibly more intense than competition at CLS because there are more workaholics (e.g. ex-Goldman analysts, Marshall Scholars, etc.). But I'm glad you pointed out that the "bigger fish/smaller fish" comparison isn't true in this situation :P Thanks!
I didn't go to Columbia, but I was an associate at Wachtell. To get Wachtell you need to have great grades, but more than that, you need to be able to think creatively about the law. Wachtell is a place that is expected to create new law and think of new theories and actually test them, so they only want people who understand the law in a deep way. Partners really put a lot of responsibility in associates hands, not just in terms of client contact or writing motions, but actually thinking through the strategy of the case (lit) or how to put a deal together (corp). The other thing is that you should be a serious person. What I mean by that is Wachtell generally only hires people it thinks will be partners one day, so you have to have a presence about you when you interview.

GreenEggs

Gold

Post by GreenEggs » Tue Jan 16, 2018 3:56 pm

Has anyone received their loan disbursement yet?
Last edited by GreenEggs on Fri Jan 26, 2018 8:19 pm, edited 2 times in total.

BrainsyK

Bronze

Post by BrainsyK » Tue Jan 16, 2018 9:18 pm

I got B+, B+, A- for a 3.43 GPA. Is it safe to mark myself down as top 1/3 on 1L SA applications since that's above the Stone cutoff (if it were at the end of 1L)?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

GreenEggs

Gold

Post by GreenEggs » Tue Jan 16, 2018 9:30 pm

BrainsyK wrote:I got B+, B+, A- for a 3.43 GPA. Is it safe to mark myself down as top 1/3 on 1L SA applications since that's above the Stone cutoff (if it were at the end of 1L)?
lol no. You cannot estimate your GPA or rank. Firms know this and would be a big red flag to get a 1L SA application that has something about rank on it

dabigchina

Gold

Post by dabigchina » Tue Jan 16, 2018 9:32 pm

Kummel wrote:
BrainsyK wrote:I got B+, B+, A- for a 3.43 GPA. Is it safe to mark myself down as top 1/3 on 1L SA applications since that's above the Stone cutoff (if it were at the end of 1L)?
lol no. You cannot estimate your GPA or rank. Firms know this and would be a big red flag to get a 1L SA application that has something about rank on it
Most firms know what a Stone Scholar is anyway. There's no need to put class rank.

GreenEggs

Gold

Post by GreenEggs » Tue Jan 16, 2018 9:40 pm

dabigchina wrote:
Kummel wrote:
Most firms know what a Stone Scholar is anyway. There's no need to put class rank.
Right. But this is for a 1L SA app so there's no Stone Scholar to put on the resume

BrainsyK

Bronze

Post by BrainsyK » Tue Jan 16, 2018 9:52 pm

Kummel wrote:
dabigchina wrote:
Kummel wrote:
Right. But this is for a 1L SA app so there's no Stone Scholar to put on the resume
I'm not putting it on my resume. There are just some jobs that make you select some sort of class ranking with a red * next to the slot to be filled out. I'm just looking for the best thing to put in those slots. When possible, I mentioned nothing about rank since I expect most firms to know about it.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”