Columbia students taking questions Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
djwjddl

Bronze

Re: Columbia 1L(s) taking questions

Post by djwjddl » Wed Jun 05, 2013 3:10 pm

beepboopbeep wrote:Any Lenfest experts? I checked it out over ASW but I can't remember some stuff. Trying to figure out how much of my stuff I should sell/bring.

-What's the bed frame like? I have a full-size one right now that I really like, wondering if the standard one is spartan/minimal enough that I could stash it in the back of the closet or something. The mattresses are fulls, right?

-How much counter space is there? How much room in the cabinets? For someone used to a relatively full-sized kitchen, am I going to have to throw out or store a lot of my pots/pans and baking stuff? Would there be room for something like a chef's/kitchen cart on the side?

-What about a dresser? Is there much storage space in the furniture provided?

-Can we change/replace the curtains? Or put holes in the walls? I imagine we can't paint...

I feel like I should be able to find some of this stuff online, but couldn't on the UAH site. Any help would be appreciated!
probably better than any description you're going to get on these boards:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/48159804@N ... 449687757/

beepboopbeep

Gold

Post by beepboopbeep » Wed Jun 05, 2013 3:36 pm

djwjddl wrote:
beepboopbeep wrote:Any Lenfest experts? I checked it out over ASW but I can't remember some stuff. Trying to figure out how much of my stuff I should sell/bring.

-What's the bed frame like? I have a full-size one right now that I really like, wondering if the standard one is spartan/minimal enough that I could stash it in the back of the closet or something. The mattresses are fulls, right?

-How much counter space is there? How much room in the cabinets? For someone used to a relatively full-sized kitchen, am I going to have to throw out or store a lot of my pots/pans and baking stuff? Would there be room for something like a chef's/kitchen cart on the side?

-What about a dresser? Is there much storage space in the furniture provided?

-Can we change/replace the curtains? Or put holes in the walls? I imagine we can't paint...

I feel like I should be able to find some of this stuff online, but couldn't on the UAH site. Any help would be appreciated!
probably better than any description you're going to get on these boards:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/48159804@N ... 449687757/
Oh lovely! Thanks!

I think the one I saw at ASW was a lot bigger :( those kitchens are legit, though.

smdpnp

Bronze

Post by smdpnp » Wed Jun 05, 2013 3:54 pm

Nope.
Last edited by smdpnp on Wed Jun 26, 2013 11:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

djwjddl

Bronze

Post by djwjddl » Wed Jun 05, 2013 4:10 pm

beepboopbeep wrote:
Oh lovely! Thanks!

I think the one I saw at ASW was a lot bigger :( those kitchens are legit, though.
yup, the one that you saw at ASW (EDIT: assuming this one is the same as the one I saw at "Mondays at Columbia") is bigger because it's on the garden floor (below lobby floor). rooms there are nearly 400 sq. ft., but you obviously pay more for them (over 2k). i was thinking about specifically requesting for a room of that size/on that floor, but decided the ~50 sq. ft. increase wasn't worth worth the extra cash.

don't worry, your wallet will thank you in the long run.

beepboopbeep

Gold

Post by beepboopbeep » Wed Jun 05, 2013 5:17 pm

djwjddl wrote:
beepboopbeep wrote:
Oh lovely! Thanks!

yup, the one that you saw at ASW (EDIT: assuming this one is the same as the one I saw at "Mondays at Columbia") is bigger because it's on the garden floor (below lobby floor). rooms there are nearly 400 sq. ft., but you obviously pay more for them (over 2k). i was thinking about specifically requesting for a room of that size/on that floor, but decided the ~50 sq. ft. increase wasn't worth worth the extra cash.

don't worry, your wallet will thank you in the long run.
I think I saw a corner one somewhere between 7 and 10? Can't remember.

Is it awkward to discuss how much people are paying? I think I'm over 2k/mo when I calculated it out, and my particular assignment seems like nothing particularly special.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Tiago Splitter

Diamond

Post by Tiago Splitter » Wed Jun 05, 2013 6:19 pm

jubee wrote:thanks! do all UAH buildings have laundry on site and if they do i assume they are open at all hours? going on a short trip after moving in where ill be getting back past midnight and i throw all my stuff in laundry immediately after staying in hotels...
I have to do my laundry in a building down the street. Definitely the worst part about the whole arrangement I can go there any time though. Don't know what percentage of buildings have laundry facilities.

Bob-Loblaw 1

New

Post by Bob-Loblaw 1 » Wed Jun 05, 2013 10:37 pm

This may be obvious but is the mattress itself included in the furnished Lenfest units?

beepboopbeep

Gold

Post by beepboopbeep » Wed Jun 05, 2013 10:48 pm

Bob-Loblaw 1 wrote:This may be obvious but is the mattress itself included in the furnished Lenfest units?
Yes, for better or worse.

jubee

Bronze

Post by jubee » Wed Jun 05, 2013 11:25 pm

Tiago Splitter wrote:
jubee wrote:thanks! do all UAH buildings have laundry on site and if they do i assume they are open at all hours? going on a short trip after moving in where ill be getting back past midnight and i throw all my stuff in laundry immediately after staying in hotels...
I have to do my laundry in a building down the street. Definitely the worst part about the whole arrangement I can go there any time though. Don't know what percentage of buildings have laundry facilities.

Ohh eeeek not ideal. so do you need to be buzzed in to gain access to that building etc, how does that work? thanks for your response!

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Tiago Splitter

Diamond

Post by Tiago Splitter » Wed Jun 05, 2013 11:32 pm

jubee wrote:
Tiago Splitter wrote:

Ohh eeeek not ideal. so do you need to be buzzed in to gain access to that building etc, how does that work? thanks for your response!
They give you the security code. It's the building where the super lives and all the maintenance dudes hang out so there's usually someone who just buzzes you in. But you can always type in the code if no one's there.

jubee

Bronze

Post by jubee » Thu Jun 06, 2013 4:00 pm

Tiago Splitter wrote:
jubee wrote:
Tiago Splitter wrote:

They give you the security code. It's the building where the super lives and all the maintenance dudes hang out so there's usually someone who just buzzes you in. But you can always type in the code if no one's there.
thanks! i just found out i am lucky and have laundry in my building so fortunately I won't have to do that

Tekrul

Bronze

Post by Tekrul » Thu Jun 06, 2013 11:50 pm

Anyone have experience applying for UAH or other on-campus housing as a 2L who lived off-campus as a 1L?

ph5354a

Gold

Post by ph5354a » Fri Jun 07, 2013 10:10 am

I think I've asked this before but I don't know if anyone had an answer. Is it possible to contact UAH and make an appointment to sign your rental agreement prior to your move-in, or does this appointment have to take place on your move-in date? I'm going to New York anyways in a few weekends and I'd be willing to stay until Monday to get that process out of the way.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Bronck

Gold

Post by Bronck » Fri Jun 07, 2013 10:43 am

ph5354a wrote:I think I've asked this before but I don't know if anyone had an answer. Is it possible to contact UAH and make an appointment to sign your rental agreement prior to your move-in, or does this appointment have to take place on your move-in date? I'm going to New York anyways in a few weekends and I'd be willing to stay until Monday to get that process out of the way.
Call and ask

ph5354a

Gold

Post by ph5354a » Fri Jun 07, 2013 10:43 am

Bronck wrote:
ph5354a wrote:I think I've asked this before but I don't know if anyone had an answer. Is it possible to contact UAH and make an appointment to sign your rental agreement prior to your move-in, or does this appointment have to take place on your move-in date? I'm going to New York anyways in a few weekends and I'd be willing to stay until Monday to get that process out of the way.
Call and ask
I just emailed, but I'll call too. Thanks.

Also, is there any rhyme or reason to how the units are numbered? If I'm in unit 34, is there any way to tell what floor that's on?

djwjddl

Bronze

Post by djwjddl » Fri Jun 07, 2013 10:53 am

you can sign your rental agreement whenever you want (as long as it's, of course, within the operating hours of the UAH office) and move in later. you'll just have to start paying for rent as soon as you sign the lease.

you probably already know this, but signing must take place in person. so if you're trying to sign from a different location and then just move in, that won't work.

ph5354a

Gold

Post by ph5354a » Fri Jun 07, 2013 10:55 am

djwjddl wrote:
you can sign your rental agreement whenever you want (as long as it's, of course, within the operating hours of the UAH office) and move in later. you'll just have to start paying for rent as soon as you sign the lease.

you probably already know this, but signing must take place in person. so if you're trying to sign from a different location and then just move in, that won't work.
Oh, yeah, I definitely don't want to start paying rent in June haha. Yeah I knew it had to be in person. I'm going to NYC in a few weeks so I was trying to get that out of the way then to make move-in day a little less busy, but I definitely don't want to pay an extra month and a half of rent. Thanks!

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Tekrul

Bronze

Post by Tekrul » Fri Jun 07, 2013 2:38 pm

Has anyone commuted to Columbia from Newport - Jersey City? Anyone done it first year?

My plan is to get a monthly path card. I'd take it from Newport one stop to Christopher St. Then I was planning on riding my bike up the Manhattan Waterfront Greenway - a cyclist and pedestrian only pathway that runs alongside the Henry Hudson highway. Rather than buy a monthly metrocard, I'd bike in nice weather and refill value instead of time on my metrocard for poor weather days. google maps put the travel time equal to the subway.

Anyone have experience with the Greenway in this stretch from Chrsitopher to Morningside Park?

Since I now have a 1 hour commute to school, subway or bike, I have less time to exercise and think this would be a nice, money saving alternative.

Unfortunately, I am stuck with this commute no matter what. I jumped the gun on my lease thinking I'd be commuting to NYU and to have the opportunity to live with my SO while she completes her final year at NYU UG.

starrydreamz3

Silver

Post by starrydreamz3 » Fri Jun 07, 2013 2:39 pm

For those of us in apartment buildings without doormen (eww, I know), how do we get packages delivered? Will they just drop it off at the university post office? I know that only undergrads are assigned those free mailboxes so I don't want to have to pay to rent one if I don't have to.

Bronck

Gold

Post by Bronck » Fri Jun 07, 2013 3:24 pm

starrydreamz3 wrote:For those of us in apartment buildings without doormen (eww, I know), how do we get packages delivered? Will they just drop it off at the university post office? I know that only undergrads are assigned those free mailboxes so I don't want to have to pay to rent one if I don't have to.
I'm not sure what the university post office is. It's like any other apartment building in the country. In my old one, UPS et al would drop it off in the lobby or just outside my door. I think Fed Ex, for some reason, didn't have a key to the building, so I'd have to buzz them in. UPS requires buzzing for larger packages though (like a TV).

Tekrul

Bronze

Post by Tekrul » Fri Jun 07, 2013 8:54 pm

Still looking for anyone with experience cycling on the Greenway. To recap, I am thinking of commuting to Columbia by bicycle from Christopher street using the Greenway.

Also, what's the deal with laptop exams at Columbia? From what I can tell, it's a choice - one can take either a hand-written exam or a laptop exam. Seems a little unfair for the handwritten exam takers to be graded next to 140+ wpm typists.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

smaug_

Gold

Post by smaug_ » Fri Jun 07, 2013 9:52 pm

Tekrul wrote:Also, what's the deal with laptop exams at Columbia? From what I can tell, it's a choice - one can take either a hand-written exam or a laptop exam. Seems a little unfair for the handwritten exam takers to be graded next to 140+ wpm typists.
This is correct. Pretty much everyone types. I don't know how people who don't type do.

Bronck

Gold

Post by Bronck » Sat Jun 08, 2013 12:19 pm

Tekrul wrote: Also, what's the deal with laptop exams at Columbia? From what I can tell, it's a choice - one can take either a hand-written exam or a laptop exam. Seems a little unfair for the handwritten exam takers to be graded next to 140+ wpm typists.
Even when I wrote ~7k words for an exam first semester, it only averages out to ~30wpm. Granted, that includes thinking time, but you don't have to type insanely fast to get a lot down (and I can type up to ~125wpm if I try and average closer to ~90-100).

scifiguy

Silver

Post by scifiguy » Sat Jun 08, 2013 12:28 pm

Hi everyone,

A quick question about CU. How competitive do you find the atmosphere amongst students?

smaug_

Gold

Post by smaug_ » Sat Jun 08, 2013 12:47 pm

scifiguy wrote:Hi everyone,

A quick question about CU. How competitive do you find the atmosphere amongst students?
People are (in general) very kind. Everyone wants to succeed, but pretty much nobody wants to succeed at the expense of others. People are willing to wait/start a test a minute late because someone didn't arrive/are pretty open about sending out notes for classes when people couldn't make it.

That said, get out of this thread (and most threads) please. TIA. (Stop posting in threads.)

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”