Columbia students taking questions Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
StillIll

Bronze

Re: Columbia 1L(s) taking questions

Post by StillIll » Mon Jul 22, 2013 1:08 pm

Tiago Splitter wrote:
StillIll wrote: I just assumed the Tiago Splitter handle was a clever reference to your splitter statistics... possibly?
You guessed it.

I should also add that hibiki nailed it on the head when he said "good, bad, or otherwise" about people all thinking they'll get jobs. I know at least a couple people who seem a bit too cavalier about the difficulty of landing certain jobs, but that also contributes to the lack of competitiveness.
Interesting. Hope it's more good than bad when it all shakes out.

lunaraeon

Bronze

Post by lunaraeon » Tue Jul 23, 2013 7:49 pm

May have totally missed this already being asked, but any recommendations for supplements? I was hoping to pick something up once I'm settled in/know what my last course is/know which professors I have.

bhan87

Silver

Post by bhan87 » Tue Jul 23, 2013 8:46 pm

lunaraeon wrote:May have totally missed this already being asked, but any recommendations for supplements? I was hoping to pick something up once I'm settled in/know what my last course is/know which professors I have.
Torts - Don't bother

Property - Don't bother

CivPro - Glannon is useful, but you shouldn't rely on it too heavily. More of a starting point than an end all be all.

Contracts - Chirelstein. Short and very insightful stuff.

ConLaw - Chemerinsky is a lifesaver.

CrimLaw - Dressler is useful.

I really hope you don't use your Legal Methods time reading supplements. That time is best spent socializing and meeting your new classmates.

Bronck

Gold

Post by Bronck » Wed Jul 24, 2013 1:48 am

Torts -- agreed, no real point. If you want, get the Glannon E&E, but not necessary
Property -- Understanding Property by Sprankling, very useful.
CivPro -- Glannon. Used a ton of it in my outline and it helped me get a really good grade.
Ks -- nothing really necessary. Though I guess Chirelstein is commonly thought of as the best. I didn't find it that useful.
ConLaw -- Wikipedia + Chemerinsky, no need to ever read cases
CrimLaw -- Dressler. No need to open casebook or go to class.

smaug_

Gold

Post by smaug_ » Wed Jul 24, 2013 3:08 am

Bronck wrote:Torts -- agreed, no real point. If you want, get the Glannon E&E, but not necessary
CivPro -- Glannon. Used a ton of it in my outline and it helped me get a really good grade.
Ks -- nothing really necessary. Though I guess Chirelstein is commonly thought of as the best. I didn't find it that useful.
All of this depends on your professor your own learning style. Excluding the Glannon for Civ Pro, you probably don't need hornbooks. Some might help you and they might be more or less useful depending on the class.

FWIW, I didn't really use the Chemerinsky, Dressler or Chirelstein supplements and I did just fine.

Just ask your TAs what you should do. I doubt they'll lead you astray.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

RoseAberlone

New

Post by RoseAberlone » Wed Jul 24, 2013 10:38 am

lunaraeon wrote:May have totally missed this already being asked, but any recommendations for supplements? I was hoping to pick something up once I'm settled in/know what my last course is/know which professors I have.
I would agree with the advice against trying to teach yourself stuff in advance because you have no idea what your professor will care about. But here's what I used throughout the year:

Torts - I tried the E&E and didn't like it. I preferred Abraham. It's pretty bare bones but frankly for torts you don't need to know all that much law.
Contracts - I read Chirelstein and really liked it.
Civ Pro - I used Glannon, but it's only helpful if you actually DO the questions. Probably the most helpful thing for me in civ pro was typing out every rule that we covered in its entirety. That sounds ridiculous but it made them stick.
Property - I used Gilbert's and thought it was a helpful view-from-30,000-feet overview. I heard good things about Sprankling.
Con Law - Bought Chemerinsky but didn't really use it at all. I know some other people who were obsessed with it, but don't believe the hype that you NEED Chemerinsky to get con law.
Crim - Dressler saved my life

This will very much depend on your learning style and on your professor.

Bronck

Gold

Post by Bronck » Wed Jul 24, 2013 11:52 am

hibiki wrote:
Bronck wrote:Torts -- agreed, no real point. If you want, get the Glannon E&E, but not necessary
All of this depends on your professor your own learning style. Excluding the Glannon for Civ Pro, you probably don't need hornbooks. Some might help you and they might be more or less useful depending on the class.

FWIW, I didn't really use the Chemerinsky, Dressler or Chirelstein supplements and I did just fine.

Just ask your TAs what you should do. I doubt they'll lead you astray.
Oh, without a doubt. Was just saying what worked out for me. I did well, but was by no means the best student in the class. My 2nd semester was more-or-less the "how can I do as little as possible to still do well" approach to 1L.

While it's true supplements really aren't necessary, it's also conversely true that reading cases isn't either. Read and outline the supplements, and modify accordingly if the professor strays from it at all. Add in any extra details from canned briefs of the cases.

the_phoenix612

Bronze

Post by the_phoenix612 » Wed Jul 24, 2013 11:57 am

I found the "Acing" series to be really helpful, as a starting point. It's all organized into checklists, which really helped whip my outline into shape. Obviously all the information you need isn't in there, but if you struggle to get all the material organized like I did, they are a godsend for Civ Pro, Crim Law, Property, and Torts.

lunaraeon

Bronze

Post by lunaraeon » Wed Jul 24, 2013 12:51 pm

Thanks, all! I'll check with my TAs as well.
bhan87 wrote:I really hope you don't use your Legal Methods time reading supplements. That time is best spent socializing and meeting your new classmates.
Nah, just planning to have them for reference once the actual classes start covering material. My only plan for LM is to convince as many people as I can that bars are only cool after Thanksgiving. :P

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

JVK

Bronze

Post by JVK » Thu Jul 25, 2013 5:07 pm

Bronck wrote:
Aussiebum wrote:
Tiago Splitter wrote:The gym is pretty weak but you have to make it work unless you want to pay 150-200 a month for a gym pass elsewhere.
Thanks! Roger that- deal with the dodgy fitness facilities.

What about groceries? Will I be able to find produce for a balance home-cooked meal?
Uh, yes. It's not like NY is devoid of good grocery options, they're just a tad more expensive. I personally shop at TJs on 72nd. Others shop at Fairway just north of 125th, others use Morton Williams, D'Ag, etc near campus.
Do you typically walk to Trader Joe's? If yes, how long does that take? I'm assuming 'cause I don't want to shell out for subway fare each time/probably no bike.
Last edited by JVK on Thu Jul 25, 2013 5:19 pm, edited 2 times in total.

kwais

Gold

Post by kwais » Thu Jul 25, 2013 5:18 pm

JVK wrote:
Bronck wrote:
Aussiebum wrote:
Tiago Splitter wrote:The gym is pretty weak but you have to make it work unless you want to pay 150-200 a month for a gym pass elsewhere.
Thanks! Roger that- deal with the dodgy fitness facilities.

What about groceries? Will I be able to find produce for a balance home-cooked meal?
Uh, yes. It's not like NY is devoid of good grocery options, they're just a tad more expensive. I personally shop at TJs on 72nd. Others shop at Fairway just north of 125th, others use Morton Williams, D'Ag, etc near campus.
Do you typically walk to Trader Joe's? If yes, how long does that take? I'm assuming 'cause I don't want to shell out for subway fare each time/probably no bike.
The savings at TJs over Morton's or Westside will pay for your subway many times over. The walk would be 30-40 each way. Not realistic for the trip home with groceries.

kwais

Gold

Post by kwais » Thu Jul 25, 2013 5:20 pm

And I would add, buy supplements a week or two into real classes. Some professors will give you insight on them. Supplements won't help you before that point anyway. Besides, by then you might meet some 2/3 Ls who can sell you theirs cheap.

JVK

Bronze

Post by JVK » Thu Jul 25, 2013 5:20 pm

kwais wrote:The savings at TJs over Morton's or Westside will pay for your subway many times over. The walk would be 30-40 each way. Not realistic for the trip home with groceries.
Got it, thank you, Kwais! Sounds good.

As a side note about the gym, what's the weight equipment like? How many squat/power racks are there, are there any lifting platforms, anything to be aware of on that end?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Tiago Splitter

Diamond

Post by Tiago Splitter » Thu Jul 25, 2013 5:23 pm

3 squat racks, some benches, decent number of dumbbells. Basically no barbells so the squat racks are used for everything which is a big part of the problem. Overall there are often too many people for the amount of equipment, and PE classes will kick you out during the day at some of the off-peak times during the school year. It's hard to describe exactly but it's just not a good setup especially if you like to lift, but again you can make it work.

JVK

Bronze

Post by JVK » Thu Jul 25, 2013 5:30 pm

Tiago Splitter wrote:3 squat racks, some benches, decent number of dumbbells. Basically no barbells so the squat racks are used for everything which is a big part of the problem. Overall there are often too many people for the amount of equipment, and PE classes will kick you out during the day at some of the off-peak times during the school year. It's hard to describe exactly but it's just not a good setup especially if you like to lift, but again you can make it work.
Hey, I appreciate that, Tiago. PE classes sound slightly unfortunate but all told it should be more than okay. Do they mind deadlifting?

Tiago Splitter

Diamond

Post by Tiago Splitter » Thu Jul 25, 2013 5:33 pm

JVK wrote:
Tiago Splitter wrote:3 squat racks, some benches, decent number of dumbbells. Basically no barbells so the squat racks are used for everything which is a big part of the problem. Overall there are often too many people for the amount of equipment, and PE classes will kick you out during the day at some of the off-peak times during the school year. It's hard to describe exactly but it's just not a good setup especially if you like to lift, but again you can make it work.
Hey, I appreciate that, Tiago. PE classes sound slightly unfortunate but all told it should be more than okay. Do they mind deadlifting?
Haha no it's not Planet Fitness. You can do anything you want as long as you can get that bar in your hands.

JVK

Bronze

Post by JVK » Thu Jul 25, 2013 5:38 pm

Tiago Splitter wrote:Haha no it's not Planet Fitness. You can do anything you want as long as you can get that bar in your hands.
SOLD. Success! Haha Columbia's gonna be great. "SOUND THE LUNK ALARM!"

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

amsong

Bronze

Post by amsong » Thu Aug 01, 2013 12:29 pm

Is the law library not 24-hour access? Not that I plan to spend any time there, but having 24-hour access would be a nice security blanket.

Tiago Splitter

Diamond

Post by Tiago Splitter » Thu Aug 01, 2013 12:32 pm

amsong wrote:Is the law library not 24-hour access? Not that I plan to spend any time there, but having 24-hour access would be a nice security blanket.
It goes 24-hour from a little before finals all the way through the end of finals each semester. Otherwise no, but the hours are pretty good. I wouldn't worry.

amsong

Bronze

Post by amsong » Thu Aug 01, 2013 12:34 pm

Tiago Splitter wrote:
amsong wrote:Is the law library not 24-hour access? Not that I plan to spend any time there, but having 24-hour access would be a nice security blanket.
It goes 24-hour from a little before finals all the way through the end of finals each semester. Otherwise no, but the hours are pretty good. I wouldn't worry.
Thanks!

jbagelboy

Diamond

Post by jbagelboy » Mon Aug 05, 2013 2:13 am

Hello wonderful incoming 2L's; when you have a moment away from OCI prep, if anyone could tell me if there is a standard air conditioner size for 420 W 116th windows, or if its specific to the apartment? can anyone recommend a brand? Will they deliver/install it or would I pick it up on my way to move-in?

Thank you kindly!

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

StormyDay

New

Post by StormyDay » Wed Aug 07, 2013 8:04 am

Can anyone recommend a good bank near CLS? My husband and I are planning on opening a joint checking/savings account. We're interested in local credit unions as well.

kwais

Gold

Post by kwais » Wed Aug 07, 2013 8:30 am

There is a Chase on ~111 and a BOA on 107. I think those are the closest. Not sure about Credit Unions.

icedflames

Bronze

Post by icedflames » Wed Aug 07, 2013 10:47 am

There's a citibank atm in lerner and location on 111th.
I can't say how good the service is since I just use a checking account to pay bills and withdraw money. I rarely interact with the people working there.

moonman157

Silver

Post by moonman157 » Thu Aug 08, 2013 11:23 pm

(sorry if this has been discussed) are there any good movie theaters around campus? Preferably one that shows independent films, or one that offers student discounts?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”