Columbia students taking questions Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
the_phoenix612

Bronze

Re: Columbia 1L(s) taking questions

Post by the_phoenix612 » Fri Apr 25, 2014 10:24 am

Theopliske8711 wrote:What's the rule on taking business school courses? I'd like to eventually take some during perhaps 2L or 3L.
You can register for one B-school class per term and you apply through the Registrar's B-School Cross-Registration Application.

illyria

New

Post by illyria » Fri Apr 25, 2014 10:41 am

Apologies if this has been asked before..
Is it cheaper to get an unfurnished CLS housing in the long run? How/where do you store your furniture during the summers?

the_phoenix612

Bronze

Post by the_phoenix612 » Fri Apr 25, 2014 10:58 am

illyria wrote:Apologies if this has been asked before..
Is it cheaper to get an unfurnished CLS housing in the long run? How/where do you store your furniture during the summers?
Well, if you're in UAH housing, your leases will cover the summer. So I would imagine your furniture stays where it is.

milkandcheerios

Bronze

Post by milkandcheerios » Fri Apr 25, 2014 1:36 pm

do most people stay in NYC during the summers? How hard is it to sublet your UAH apartment if you don't? I'm coming all the way from the west coast and this housing/moving/furnishing thing seems like it's going to give me a major headache.

tlsapp2017

Bronze

Post by tlsapp2017 » Fri Apr 25, 2014 1:41 pm

Are Lionsgate shares larger/nicer than the apt shares on the 400 block? I can't seem to find this info anywhere...

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

tlsapp2017

Bronze

Post by tlsapp2017 » Fri Apr 25, 2014 1:43 pm

milkandcheerios wrote:do most people stay in NYC during the summers? How hard is it to sublet your UAH apartment if you don't? I'm coming all the way from the west coast and this housing/moving/furnishing thing seems like it's going to give me a major headache.
From what I've read (I've looked through this entire thread at least 3 times haha) a lot of people do stay in NY, but it's also very easy to find someone to sublet.

I'm a 0L though, so I don't actually know :)

moonman157

Silver

Post by moonman157 » Fri Apr 25, 2014 1:51 pm

tlsapp2017 wrote:Are Lionsgate shares larger/nicer than the apt shares on the 400 block? I can't seem to find this info anywhere...
I think they are larger and have a more open floor plan. I've only been in a few apartments in Lionsgate, but it seems like a nicer building with nicer apartments than the 400 block, but I do think it depends on what you're looking for

moonman157

Silver

Post by moonman157 » Fri Apr 25, 2014 1:52 pm

milkandcheerios wrote:do most people stay in NYC during the summers? How hard is it to sublet your UAH apartment if you don't? I'm coming all the way from the west coast and this housing/moving/furnishing thing seems like it's going to give me a major headache.
At least for 1L summer, it seems like at least half of the class is not staying in NYC. I know there's an online system for finding people to sublet your apartment to through the university, and people are posting in the group about students from other schools looking for housing for the summer. Obviously a lot of people from other schools are looking for a place in NYC for the summer.

MyopicVisage

New

Post by MyopicVisage » Fri Apr 25, 2014 3:18 pm

Last edited by MyopicVisage on Fri Jun 27, 2014 2:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

New

Post by 1278 » Fri Apr 25, 2014 4:47 pm

People were posting their class schedules earlier in the thread and it looks like there is nothing going on on Fridays for 1Ls???? Will be significant for me since I plan to do a lot of weekend commuting.

Thanks so much!

jbagelboy

Diamond

Post by jbagelboy » Fri Apr 25, 2014 5:28 pm

1278 wrote:People were posting their class schedules earlier in the thread and it looks like there is nothing going on on Fridays for 1Ls???? Will be significant for me since I plan to do a lot of weekend commuting.

Thanks so much!
Can't count on it for first semester; I had LPW on Fridays. But I had no class on Friday's second semester. Bliss!

New

Post by 1278 » Fri Apr 25, 2014 6:16 pm

jbagelboy wrote:
1278 wrote:People were posting their class schedules earlier in the thread and it looks like there is nothing going on on Fridays for 1Ls???? Will be significant for me since I plan to do a lot of weekend commuting.

Thanks so much!
Can't count on it for first semester; I had LPW on Fridays. But I had no class on Friday's second semester. Bliss!
Thanks Jbagelboy!

Anybody has any idea on how many people get Fridays free (like, one section out of five, or four out of six ...)?

Tiago Splitter

Diamond

Post by Tiago Splitter » Fri Apr 25, 2014 6:29 pm

Seems like most people get Fridays free, but I might have been lucky to never have had a Friday class. LPW is probably the biggest risk, although my first year there was some registrar screw up and one group got four hours of torts each friday. Normally doctrinal classes won't meet Friday. Don't plan to have Fridays off, but odds are still pretty good.

EDIT: LPW sections are like 12-15 people, so there are lots of them.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

New

Post by 1278 » Fri Apr 25, 2014 6:43 pm

Tiago Splitter wrote:Seems like most people get Fridays free, but I might have been lucky to never have had a Friday class. LPW is probably the biggest risk, although my first year there was some registrar screw up and one group got four hours of torts each friday. Normally doctrinal classes won't meet Friday. Don't plan to have Fridays off, but odds are still pretty good.

EDIT: LPW sections are like 12-15 people, so there are lots of them.
Ah got you, thanks Tiago!

And LOL, I thought a section would have like at least 50-60 people...

Monochromatic Oeuvre

Gold

Post by Monochromatic Oeuvre » Fri Apr 25, 2014 7:08 pm

1278 wrote:And LOL, I thought a section would have like at least 50-60 people...
LPW is your small section, distinct from your "core" classes (the BLL ones) that will have ~90 students in them. You'll never have a "core" class on Friday.

Monochromatic Oeuvre

Gold

Post by Monochromatic Oeuvre » Fri Apr 25, 2014 7:10 pm

MyopicVisage wrote:Does law school only housing not cover the summer?
It does. Your lease in any university-owned housing will be May to May after your first year.

New

Post by 1278 » Fri Apr 25, 2014 9:29 pm

Monochromatic Oeuvre wrote:
1278 wrote:And LOL, I thought a section would have like at least 50-60 people...
LPW is your small section, distinct from your "core" classes (the BLL ones) that will have ~90 students in them. You'll never have a "core" class on Friday.
Cool! Thanks! :D

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

jasper09

Bronze

Post by jasper09 » Sat Apr 26, 2014 12:09 am

DC Columbia grads: How extensive do you find the alumni network in DC? I daresay Columbia is the best school to attend if one is interested in NYC transactional work, but what of DC transactional (or regulatory? My work experience at the moment is all regulatory compliance-centered, plus I plan to defer a year)? Or, specifically, I'm looking at a difference of $55k-75k to attend Columbia over UVA, and while I think I'd prefer DC in the long-term since I have family here (and btw, UVA has an exceptionally developed alumni network here, though that may be due to self-selection), I'm also open to NYC big law and developing ties in the city.

Granted, the overall COA assumes max loans, and Columbia seems to assume most everyone will do a big law summer associate position the summer between 2L and 3L. So, to grads, and most likely grads working in DC (because I think I'd prefer to be closer to my nieces upon graduation), is the debt load overly burdensome? And to current students, if you were in a similar position (I'm looking at UVA $125k not counting summer employment or savings I can accumulate by deferring, vs. Columbia $180-200k), what made you pick Columbia?

jbagelboy

Diamond

Post by jbagelboy » Sat Apr 26, 2014 1:12 pm

Not sure if this has been asked/answered before, but did any 3L's that check this board have Briffault for property, and if so, do you know where any of his old exams may be located? Or relatedly, any other professors' accessible exams that present usefully comparable style/material? He has only put up 2 exam questions.

any other tips appreciated!

the_phoenix612

Bronze

Post by the_phoenix612 » Sat Apr 26, 2014 4:09 pm

MyopicVisage wrote:
the_phoenix612 wrote:
illyria wrote:Apologies if this has been asked before..
Well, if you're in UAH housing, your leases will cover the summer. So I would imagine your furniture stays where it is.
Does law school only housing not cover the summer?
It will. Law school only housing is a subset of UAH, technically. It can be confusing, sorry.

If you're in housing provided by a body of Columbia University, your leases will cover the summer.

re: sublets, I've sublet my apartment in Lenfest two summers in a row now, and it has been very easy to do. Anecdotally, I've heard from friends in non-law school only housing (general UAH apt. shares) have had a little more difficulty, but most of them are getting sublets, too.

FOM

New

Post by FOM » Sun Apr 27, 2014 5:31 am

Just wanted to say thanks for doing this guys. This thread is extremely helpful. I'll be sending in my deposit today. So excited to meet everyone and to be in NYC!

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

anon369

New

Post by anon369 » Sun Apr 27, 2014 9:57 pm

what are people's thoughts on law housing vs general grad housing? is general grad housing cheaper, and have people found living with non-law students to be good for their mental health, or is it generally easier to live with other law students? some current students at ASW told me to live in either some apt on 114th or w 113th, but having trouble figuring out what those are/how to make that happen since you can't write any notes on the housing application.

KingFish

Bronze

Post by KingFish » Sun Apr 27, 2014 11:44 pm

anon369 wrote:what are people's thoughts on law housing vs general grad housing? is general grad housing cheaper, and have people found living with non-law students to be good for their mental health, or is it generally easier to live with other law students? some current students at ASW told me to live in either some apt on 114th or w 113th, but having trouble figuring out what those are/how to make that happen since you can't write any notes on the housing application.
I'm in law school housing on 115th. If I could do it over again, I'd do UAH. It's cheaper and bigger usually. And you can't transfer from law school housing to UAH after your first year.

Loubies

New

Post by Loubies » Mon Apr 28, 2014 12:38 am

During ASP, one of the apartments in the housing tour was a studio in Lionsgate, and the resident managed to have it unfurnished. Is this common? Does Columbia accommodate these requests, or does anyone have thoughts on how she did it?

moopness

Bronze

Post by moopness » Mon Apr 28, 2014 1:11 am

KingFish wrote:
anon369 wrote:what are people's thoughts on law housing vs general grad housing? is general grad housing cheaper, and have people found living with non-law students to be good for their mental health, or is it generally easier to live with other law students? some current students at ASW told me to live in either some apt on 114th or w 113th, but having trouble figuring out what those are/how to make that happen since you can't write any notes on the housing application.
I'm in law school housing on 115th. If I could do it over again, I'd do UAH. It's cheaper and bigger usually. And you can't transfer from law school housing to UAH after your first year.
Wait, I thought Law School Housing WAS UAH? On the housing application the only non-law school housing options are the arbor and UAH-I House...

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”