Coed law fraternities - worth it?

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.

Coed law fraternities - worth it?

Postby hookem12 » Mon Jan 23, 2012 4:28 pm

I know many (if not all) law schools have coed law fraternities like phi alpha delta. Are these worth joining? My sorority in undergrad was absolutely wonderful for meeting people because greek life is pretty important at my school, but I also joined a few coed "honor fraternities" and found them to be absolutely pointless and was not very involved. As a student, would you recommend joining a law fraternity? I'm not sure if these are pointed more toward academic or social pursuits, but I would definitely like to meet people both to drink with and study with.

Thanks in advance!

Re: Coed law fraternities - worth it?

Postby cinephile » Mon Jan 23, 2012 5:49 pm

In my experience, you don't meet anyone or do anything.

You just pay some amount to have the honor of whatever society as a line on your resume.

Postby cactuarX3 » Mon Jan 23, 2012 5:55 pm

Entirely dependent on the strength of the local chapter. Some chapters are notoriously useless and pocket your dues money and don't do anything while some are actually quite capable and put on good programs and have a lot of valuable networking opportunities.

I was in PAD for undergrad and I was fortunate enough to be in a chapter that was very strong and I found the experience to be incredibly helpful. But I know that there were PAD chapters out there that sucked and was pretty much a resume-filler (if that)

Postby wiseowl » Wed Jan 25, 2012 2:51 pm

My school's PAD chapter was a terrible waste of money.

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”