Clothes to buy (female)

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
lrslayer

Clothes to buy (female)

Postby lrslayer » Sun Jan 22, 2012 3:34 pm

I have a clothing question here. I have a family member who gave me some money to buy some "professional" type clothes. I am a gay lady and have always dressed like a guy for the most part (jeans and a tee, flip flops a must). I am starting an internship with a California Supreme Court Judge this week so I am going shopping probably today. So, I would like to know, what do I need for internship, law school (start in August), and future job interviews. Do I need a couple lady suits (please tell me I don't have to wear a skirt or heels)? How about something more casual, like pants and button up shirts? I am at a loss here, I spent my career years so far in the military and only ever wore uniforms for suits :)
PLEASE HELP, maybe a list of what I should get (including shoes)
THANK YOU THANK YOU!!!

nygrrrl

Re: Clothes to buy (female)

Postby nygrrrl » Sun Jan 22, 2012 3:40 pm

I actually love suits, as they feel like uniforms to me. (Not ex-military, but went to schools that required uni.)
They're easy and look great. I have several, but the two I wear the most are ones where I bought both a skirt and pants to match (I much prefer wearing pants.)
Worked in a firm last summer, wore a combinations of dress pants/shirts, dresses, etc for everyday, suits only for court/client interviews/formal things.
As for shoes, bought a pair of low heels (just go to Zappos and order a ton of stuff, return what you don't like) and was fine with those and a pair of decent flats. Don't know if things are the same where you'll be working, but that's my experience!
(Also, huzzah for Kind Family Member!)

lrslayer

Postby lrslayer » Sun Jan 22, 2012 4:40 pm

nygrrrl wrote:I actually love suits, as they feel like uniforms to me. (Not ex-military, but went to schools that required uni.)
They're easy and look great. I have several, but the two I wear the most are ones where I bought both a skirt and pants to match (I much prefer wearing pants.)
Worked in a firm last summer, wore a combinations of dress pants/shirts, dresses, etc for everyday, suits only for court/client interviews/formal things.
As for shoes, bought a pair of low heels (just go to Zappos and order a ton of stuff, return what you don't like) and was fine with those and a pair of decent flats. Don't know if things are the same where you'll be working, but that's my experience!
(Also, huzzah for Kind Family Member!)

so would you say that one could wear a classy pair of oxfords with a suit or is it heels or flats only?

nygrrrl

Postby nygrrrl » Sun Jan 22, 2012 5:30 pm

lrslayer wrote:so would you say that one could wear a classy pair of oxfords with a suit or is it heels or flats only?

Where I was working, that would have been FINE. (Actually, I love that idea. I may steal that...)

lrslayer

Postby lrslayer » Sun Jan 22, 2012 5:36 pm

nygrrrl wrote:
lrslayer wrote:so would you say that one could wear a classy pair of oxfords with a suit or is it heels or flats only?

Where I was working, that would have been FINE. (Actually, I love that idea. I may steal that...)

i was looking on zappos at some really cute ones. thanks for your help.

nygrrrl

Postby nygrrrl » Sun Jan 22, 2012 5:37 pm

lrslayer wrote:
nygrrrl wrote:

No problem! Try bumping this tomorrow when more people are on: I was working in a small firm and things may be different in CA Supreme Court (NICE, btw.) :)

lrslayer

Postby lrslayer » Sun Jan 22, 2012 5:38 pm

nygrrrl wrote:
lrslayer wrote:
nygrrrl wrote:

No problem! Try bumping this tomorrow when more people are on: I was working in a small firm and things may be different in CA Supreme Court (NICE, btw.) :)

will do

Dany

Postby Dany » Sun Jan 22, 2012 5:42 pm

I would personally think pantsuits would be fine - if you're not comfortable in skirt suits, don't wear them. I do think you'll need at least one pair of plain heels (probably black) for law school interviews (1L interviews, OCI, that sort of stuff) but they can be low heels for sure.

The above is all strictly for law school, though. For your internship the clothes you'll need might be very different. Are there past interns or clerks you could ask about appropriate attire?

lrslayer

Postby lrslayer » Sun Jan 22, 2012 5:56 pm

Dany wrote:I would personally think pantsuits would be fine - if you're not comfortable in skirt suits, don't wear them. I do think you'll need at least one pair of plain heels (probably black) for law school interviews (1L interviews, OCI, that sort of stuff) but they can be low heels for sure.

The above is all strictly for law school, though. For your internship the clothes you'll need might be very different. Are there past interns or clerks you could ask about appropriate attire?

none of them are chicas :( but they (guys) said that some wore suits and some wore slacks and button up shirts.

anjmissy

Postby anjmissy » Sun Jan 22, 2012 6:27 pm

I too am gay and dress masculine, during this past summer I worked at a court and wore feminine clothes, no heels tho..just flats.got them all from the limited and I love em, I actually just purchased an outfit for asw, starting at w&l this fall, which is extremely conservative, and I will stil wear a mixture of masculine/feminine clothes

When I do dress masculine its mainly nice men clothes from express, polo, or banana republic (slim fit)

For law school I def want to feel comfortable, therefore I will continue to dress how I feel..thers no rule that says u must wear a skirt and heels

poi

Postby poi » Fri Feb 03, 2012 11:15 pm

Last edited by poi on Tue Feb 28, 2012 12:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

apeopleshistory

Postby apeopleshistory » Sat Feb 04, 2012 12:22 pm

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”