Rutgers University - Newark Students Taking Questions

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
get it to x

Rutgers University - Newark Students Taking Questions

Postby get it to x » Wed Jan 18, 2012 4:38 pm

Recent graduate who is gainfully employed in a mid-sized firm practicing civil litigation. Fire away about what you would like to know about RU. I'm recovering from some minor surgery so I don't know how frequently I will come back to these boards once I return to work, but I hope other RU students will pick up the slack. I will try to be as objective as possible in answering your questions.

6lehderjets

Re: Rutgers University - Newark Students Taking Questions

Postby 6lehderjets » Wed Jan 18, 2012 5:05 pm

What's life in Newark like?

neeko

Postby neeko » Wed Jan 18, 2012 8:14 pm

Did you land your current job through networking, OCI, luck? Do most of your classmates have legal jobs, and did they get them before graduation or after bar results?

get it to x

Postby get it to x » Thu Jan 19, 2012 1:11 am

neeko wrote:Did you land your current job through networking, OCI, luck? Do most of your classmates have legal jobs, and did they get them before graduation or after bar results?

Landed it through an encounter for a judge I worked for during school. OCI was a complete bust for me and 90% of my class. It's only geared towards the top 10% of the class. I wish they were more explicit about what to expect if you are out of that range before wasting time writing out cover letters, etc. There are a good number of classmates who have jobs . . . and a good chunk who do not. It's a mix on when they got them. 3L is spent scrambling trying to find something. Some found a job post bar exam. Finding something in this economy is luck. You won't have any bites for months on end and then boom two-three interviews pop up out of nowhere.

I guess it's worth it to briefly address the chunk of grads who remain unemployed. Most of it has to do with the economy and the oversupply of lawyers who essentially all do the same thing (the uniformity of skills of law school graduates are what drives the prestige-whoring nature of the profession). Some are/were entirely too picky with they wanted to do post-school and probably had some opportunities that they let go by based purely on personal choice. Some have left the profession entirely and are trying new fields where there are more jobs and can pay off their loans. Others unfortunately are working as glorified interns for judges and state agencies who are not paying them anything (no health insurance either), and are hoping that experience opens things up. No doubt about it, it's scary out there for young lawyers who desperately need that first foot in the legal profession door.

It's probably also worth mentioning (which never is on here) that there is no shame in leaving the profession and trying something else if you can't get your foot in the door. Ok, maybe your get rich quick scheme blew up in your face (the typical 0L attitude "Oh, I'll be fine. I'll work really hard and make the top 10% and get that BigLaw job, loans will be paid back in 3 years, and I can still live the models and bottles lifestyle is highly unrealistic). You received an education. Now granted, it cost you a lot of money. But it also theoretically trained you to think differently, write more effectively, verbally express your opinions and work product, and work at a pretty efficient rate. Those skills are invaluable and can always be incorporated into other ventures. It may be a blow to your ego, but it certainly put you a step ahead intellectually than you would have been otherwise. But that's a rosy picture. And telling it to a 2L who can't find job and wants to be attorney would probably not have a terrific reaction to it.

neeko

Postby neeko » Fri Jan 20, 2012 10:30 pm

Thank you for going in to that much detail! What else do you think is important for someone pretty sure they are attending to be aware of, good or bad?

get it to x

Postby get it to x » Sat Jan 21, 2012 8:02 pm

There's really nothing to be aware of other than just trying to survive your 1L year. 2L and beyond school becomes a different game because you can control who your professors are. 1L that will be dictated for you.

Have a flexible mindset. Do your best and be able to accept the results whatever they may be. Chances are your goals will change as you go through 1L as your options are changed by how you perform. If you go into school with a BigLaw or bust attitude and perform poorly you're going to have to pull yourself out of a pretty big rut mentally. Do your best under the conditions and adjust your goals accordingly. Under no conditions, does 1L performance dictate what type of lawyer you will be. Stay positive. There will be a lot of negative feedback thrown your way.

Mix in skills courses where you can to actually be able to develop skills that firms, judges, agencies will respect. The ability to have even an inkling about how to depose a witness will be extremely helpful once your boots hit the ground. And given the conditions of the legal market, legal education will have to start catering to developing those skills since the Rule in Shelley's Case has few, if any, real life applications.

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”