Getting to law school/Getting to summer internship

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
2015JD

Getting to law school/Getting to summer internship

Postby 2015JD » Sun Jan 15, 2012 7:16 pm

Ok, so I'm near broke and will likely be unable to secure a decent job for the summer. All together I will only have about $2k-$3k going into law school. Problem is I have lived at home my whole life. As such I don't have any furniture or a car (borrowed my parents). My furniture is shared with my younger brother so I can't exactly take that (yes I'm 21 and share my bedroom, sucks but its free). My parents are in no position to give me any money. So I am really in a bad situation.

Do you think a law school will up my budget allocation for moving expenses, for things like airplane/train/greyhound tickets, motel while looking for apartment, and other moving expenses? I know it's unlikely but pretty much every school I am looking at would require a car (might be able to get away without one at GW), no chance in hell of them upping the budget for a car is there? What about for furniture? What about first + last + security? What about advancing a portion of the living expenses early to pay for this stuff?

Second is lets say you go to a school outside of a major city (looking at W&M or W&L), and get a summer internship in a major city. How do you swing it? Do you move all your shit for three months? How hard is it to find an apartment for three months? Than you gotta do it all again when you move back to school? Seems like a GIANT pain in the ass and a HUGE reason to go to school in a major legal market. Do you guys actually move for three months? The only reasonable thing I can think of is that if you get a SA position you can probably afford to pay your rent for those three months (~$2k) and rent a furnished room/apartment in the major city (~$3.5k). But how do you do it if you have an unpaid internship, like working in a USA or DA office?

Basically how do the finances of getting to Law school and to you summer internship work?

bk1

Re: Getting to law school/Getting to summer internship

Postby bk1 » Sun Jan 15, 2012 7:23 pm

1. How is $2k to $3k not enough to cover the vast majority of stuff you're talking about? Plane flights, 2 days hotel, IKEA furniture, etc. Might come up short on first month's rent and security deposit.

2. Leave your stuff for the summer. Sublet a furnished place from someone for the summer and, if necessary, sublet your place out at the same time to recoup some money (though every time I have sublet my place to another person has been awful).

2015JD

Postby 2015JD » Sun Jan 15, 2012 8:09 pm

bk1 wrote:1. How is $2k to $3k not enough to cover the vast majority of stuff you're talking about? Plane flights, 2 days hotel, IKEA furniture, etc. Might come up short on first month's rent and security deposit.

2. Leave your stuff for the summer. Sublet a furnished place from someone for the summer and, if necessary, sublet your place out at the same time to recoup some money (though every time I have sublet my place to another person has been awful).

You forgot a car : /. Will prob go to W&L or W&M (in at both) unless I get off the WL at GW. Outside of NYC, DC, and maybe Boston, I will need to purchase a car. There goes at least like half my cash.

bk1

Postby bk1 » Sun Jan 15, 2012 8:18 pm

2015JD wrote:You forgot a car : /. Will prob go to W&L or W&M (in at both) unless I get off the WL at GW. Outside of NYC, DC, and maybe Boston, I will need to purchase a car. There goes at least like half my cash.

Do you need a car? I mean if you're really this low on cash you have to prioritize. The TLS profile for W&M states that you can get around the school area by bus just fine. Maybe you'll have to wait until loan money gets disbursed till you can get a car for transportation.

One thing I would suggest is discussing this with your prospective schools' financial aid offices.

cinephile

Postby cinephile » Sun Jan 15, 2012 10:07 pm

I thought you don't get your refund from your student loans until after you've already started school. It may be different with private loans.

Do what you can to earn and save this summer. You can always request a budget increase from your financial aid office for moving expenses and then you can pay yourself back.

dixiecupdrinking

Postby dixiecupdrinking » Sun Jan 15, 2012 11:24 pm

If you move for your summers, you will probably be able to find a furnished sublet in most cities.

It all can get expensive, but that's life. These aren't law school costs, they're just living costs you'd incur if you were moving for any reason. You'll make it just like everyone else does.

2015JD

Postby 2015JD » Mon Jan 16, 2012 1:05 am

dixiecupdrinking wrote:If you move for your summers, you will probably be able to find a furnished sublet in most cities.

It all can get expensive, but that's life. These aren't law school costs, they're just living costs you'd incur if you were moving for any reason. You'll make it just like everyone else does.

No offense if this isn't the situation, but you come off as someone from a middle class background who can always turn to your parents for cash. The whole thing I am getting at is I don't see how I can make it with the situation as it is right now. I would really like suggestions on what to do. Oh and don't bother with an unsecured student loan. Already called Wells-Fargo, they won't give me one without a co-signer and both of my parents have worse credit ratings than me.

rinkrat19

Postby rinkrat19 » Mon Jan 16, 2012 1:15 am

Time to get a credit card. (Is it really that hard now? I got an unsecured, no-yearly-fee VISA with only a halfway terrible interest rate as a freshman with no credit beyond a cell phone bill. But that was 1997.)

tooswolle

Postby tooswolle » Mon Jan 16, 2012 1:28 am

2015JD wrote:
dixiecupdrinking wrote:If you move for your summers, you will probably be able to find a furnished sublet in most cities.

No offense if this isn't the situation, but you come off as someone from a middle class background who can always turn to your parents for cash. The whole thing I am getting at is I don't see how I can make it with the situation as it is right now. I would really like suggestions on what to do. Oh and don't bother with an unsecured student loan. Already called Wells-Fargo, they won't give me one without a co-signer and both of my parents have worse credit ratings than me.

I think it'll be hard to find constructive info but I'll try. First and foremost you won't be able to get money ahead of time. Most schools advise that you'll need money up front to make the move. That being said first find out what school you want to attend. After you find that out check if they have on campus housing or not? If they don't offer it start browsing the web for places nearby. A car isn't normally essential if you can find a place close to school. As it comes to furniture and such you might have to "sack" up and go without temporarily ie mini fridge and bed to be able to cope until disbursement or try to find a furnished apartment. As for money for a car highly doubtful they can raise that. On a final note try to work and save as much as possible and just try to stay positive.

poetToLaw

Postby poetToLaw » Wed Feb 08, 2012 4:03 am

If you find out the answer let me know. I'm moving from a small town in Florida a couple hundred miles away to DC and I need to figure out Paying my bills off here, and getting set up there. No one talks about this part. I've been busy studying for the LSAT, begging for rec. letters, and working my butt off these past few years in undergrad. It's hilarious to me how people pull the ask your parents card, yeah, mine have worse credit than mine.

c3pO4

Postby c3pO4 » Wed Feb 08, 2012 4:26 am

Get a job at a coffee shop? Also, forget a car. Get a place by wherever the bus goes - every school has public transportation. You were so quick to call out the other poster for being middle class but frankly, you sound pretty immature yourself. Every single person in law school, regardless of financial background, has to deal with these issues. No, your school will not give you more money because you have to move. Also, many people work during law school and save up for things like unpaid internships in the summer (or work a second job on top of their unpaid internship or get minimum wage as an RA on the side). This is pretty basic stuff. Get a job.

berkeleykel06

Postby berkeleykel06 » Wed Feb 08, 2012 5:59 pm

The person who mentioned on campus housing is credited. If you are tight on money and don't have a car, this might be the best option for you. Most colleges will offer graduate student housing. You can probably get a furnished apartment that is close to the law school, or at least has a bus that takes to you the law school. The good thing about this option is it is processed straight out of your loans so you don't need to put down a deposit or pay rent before your loans have dispersed.

Another option is to look for roommates and share an apartment close to campus. Living with a few roommates will lower your rent a lot so you can save up some of your loan money to survive during the summer. Your roommates will probably also have furniture or will at least split furniture costs with you.

During the summer, you either use money you've saved from you loan disbursement, live with your parents and work in the area they live in, or work in the area where your school is located (or for a professor). I was running low on money so I was an RA. Saved me from paying double rent somewhere and allowed me to earn money during the summer for living expenses.

You should also be able to get a credit card, even if the interest rate is bad. If you find yourself slightly short on moving expenses until your loans disperse this will cover the gap.

You can look into zip cars for the times you really need a car, and rely on walking and buses otherwise. Most college campuses will have a bus system or enough stores within walking distance to survive. Friends will also be able to drive you places occasionally, and you can also take cabs.

You sound like you've gotten yourself too stressed over this. Yes, it would be nice to be able to turn to your parents for help if you came up really tight, but the majority of people I knew moved to law school and got set up without their parent's help, even if though their parents could've helped them if they really needed it. I moved with less than 2,000 in my bank account, 1,000 on my credit card, and spent much of 1L without a car. You'll be fine, stop stressing so much.

sn20

Postby sn20 » Wed Feb 08, 2012 6:29 pm

2015JD wrote:Ok, so I'm near broke and will likely be unable to secure a decent job for the summer.

As someone with the credentials to get accepted to the law schools you have mentioned, I find it hard to believe you could not find a "decent" job that pays minimum wage and make a few thousand this summer. If you think it's going to be that bad, suck it up and work at McDonald's.

dingbat

Postby dingbat » Thu Feb 09, 2012 11:09 pm

sn20 wrote:
2015JD wrote:Ok, so I'm near broke and will likely be unable to secure a decent job for the summer.

As someone with the credentials to get accepted to the law schools you have mentioned, I find it hard to believe you could not find a "decent" job that pays minimum wage and make a few thousand this summer. If you think it's going to be that bad, suck it up and work at McDonald's.

Spot on. I can tell you from experience, if you live cheap, you can save money even if you make minimum wage.
Especially if you live with your parents.

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”